Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:31:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... 197 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin Release - First Scientific Computing Cryptocurrency  (Read 687907 times)
usahero

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 03:33:37 AM

If you know something about Big Number calculation and the nature of GPUs, you know it's a lot more harder for the GPU to do prime test than to do hashing.
GPUs don't like branching and memory access is also limited.

Yeah, right.

Thats as true as no asics for scrypt. Smiley))))

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mhps

Activity: 516
Merit: 500

CAT.EX Exchange

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 03:36:21 AM

need a little input from sonny also you guys would you like to see me add this coin to
http://lotto.coinworld.us    HuhHuh

It's usually easier to get poeple's  help if you can get their name right.

|(
▄▄██████████▄▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▀ ▀██████▄
██████ ███ ▀▀▀ ███ ███████
██████▀▄███████████▄▀███████
███████ █████████████ ████████
███████ █████████████ ████████
████████▄▀█████████▀▄█████████
██████████▄ █████ ▄█▀▄▄▄▀█████
██████████ ████▌▐█ █▀▄█ ████
████████▌▐█████ █▌▐█▄▄████
▀█████▀ ██████▄ ▀ █████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀▀██████████▀▀
)(.
)
▌   ANNOUNCE THREAD   ▌▐   BOUNTY   ▐
TWITTER  |  FACEBOOK  |  TELEGRAM  |  DISCORD
(((((((   MOBILE APP [ ANDROID / IOS ]   )))))))
)
oxfeeefeee

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 03:44:10 AM
Last edit: January 01, 2018, 09:08:45 PM by oxfeeefeee

a lot more harder
Is English not your native language, oxfeeefeee?

The question is sincere and not intended to harass you if you have learned English as a second / nth language.

Thank you, it's corrected.
oxfeeefeee

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 04:37:13 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2013, 12:24:10 PM by oxfeeefeee

If you know something about Big Number calculation and the nature of GPUs, you know it's a lot more harder for the GPU to do prime test than to do hashing.
GPUs don't like branching and memory access is also limited.

Yeah, right.

Thats as true as no asics for scrypt. Smiley))))

Primecoin mining is not another scrypt.

Scrypt is just another hashing algorithm, and hashing algorithms are generally the best candidates for GPU to do. Because they tend to have no branching, and the width of the input& output are fixed in *each* step.
That's why sha256 on GPU is so easy.

Scrypt tried to be GPU-proof by introducing random memory access, and it failed probably due to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrypt):

"The large memory requirements of scrypt come from a large vector of pseudorandom bit strings that are generated as part of the algorithm. Once the vector is generated, the elements of it are accessed in a pseudo-random order, and combined to produce the derived key. A straightforward implementation would need to keep the entire vector in random access memory so that it can be accessed as needed.
Because the elements of the vector are generated algorithmically, each element could be generated on the fly as needed, only storing one element in memory at a time and therefore cutting the memory requirements significantly..."

Big number calculation used by Primecoin is a totally different beast. it's doable, but i'll definitely be much slower.
Trillium

Activity: 546

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:02:29 PM

Before I knew about cryptocoins, I ran a lot of GPU's for BOINC distrubuted computing projects. There are/were(?) heaps of CPU based Prime number finding projects but none of them ever used GPU, so I am agreeing that branching is not suitable for the hardware and that is why no one ever bothered to make a program to mine on them. For this reason I suspect we might never see a GPU or ASIC prime number miner.

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
wlwesq

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:19:00 PM

Before I knew about cryptocoins, I ran a lot of GPU's for BOINC distrubuted computing projects. There are/were(?) heaps of CPU based Prime number finding projects but none of them ever used GPU, so I am agreeing that branching is not suitable for the hardware and that is why no one ever bothered to make a program to mine on them. For this reason I suspect we might never see a GPU or ASIC prime number miner.

This question comes from a complete non-computer engineer, but I'm curious. Since ASIC is designed to accomplish a specific task, wouldn't it be possible to create an ASIC to "mine" prime numbers? [This isn't a question about whether it would be a marketable device like the ASIC USB miners, just about the engineering side.]
masterOfDisaster

Activity: 321

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:33:23 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2013, 12:57:42 PM by masterOfDisaster

So you doubt that mtrlt can do the trick? -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=258540.0
And another step into the direction GPU miner was taken here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=258982.0
There might be no GPU miners atm, but I doubt it will take long. Primecoin is suprisingly attractive. Even a pool is available although it had to be built almost from the scratch due to the completely new Proof-of-Work approach.
I suggest we'll have a GPU miner that outperfporms the current CPU miners for Primecoin (and that is more energy efficient) before we have FPGAs for Litecoin (that are more energy efficient than GPU miners) Wink
Trillium

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:44:56 PM

This question comes from a complete non-computer engineer, but I'm curious. Since ASIC is designed to accomplish a specific task, wouldn't it be possible to create an ASIC to "mine" prime numbers? [This isn't a question about whether it would be a marketable device like the ASIC USB miners, just about the engineering side.]

We need a hyper geek who has:

* Designed processors
* Knows how SHA-256 works on a machine level
* Knows how prime number searching works and how to implement that at the machine level

They should be able to say for sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunningham_chain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generating_primes

My brain just hurts looking at these pages and the links that follow.  Shocked

Trillium

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 01:13:16 PM

So you doubt that mtrlt can do the trick? -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=258540.0
And another step into the direction GPU miner was taken here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=258982.0
There might be no GPU miners atm, but I doubt it will take long. Primecoin is suprisingly attractive. Even a pool is available although it had to be built almost from the scratch due to the completely new Proof-of-Work approach.
I suggest we'll have a GPU miner that outperfpormsthe current CPU miners for Primecoin (and that is more energy efficient) before we have FPGAs for Litecoin (that are more energy efficient than GPU miners) Wink

Had not seen that thread. Good luck to 'em.

elebit

Activity: 441

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 04:43:29 PM

If you think cost-efficient scrypt ASICs are possible right now, please, buy a gun and one bullet and take yourself out of the gene pool.

Why wouldn't it be? It is after all possible on a GPU, and designing a custom circuit for a workload is much much easier (albeit a lot more expensive!) than implementing it on a GPU (which is specialized for a very specific task, insanely parallell vector calculations).

So you doubt that mtrlt can do the trick?

If course it is possible, I don't think anyone disputes that. But the performance difference between CPU and GPU is not going to be anything near what it is for hashing.
elebit

Activity: 441

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 07:54:35 PM

Because you need a ton of very fast memory to do Scrypt in parallel, which is expensive. If you designed something specifically to do Scrypt, you'd end up with something very much like a 7950.

I wouldn't be so sure that is actually true. I'm far from an expert, but modern process technology is remarkable. You get a lot of silicon in a modern chip. Of course you could design something that brute forces scrypt faster than a GPU if you had the money. Would the performance difference be as great as with SHA256? Probably not. Would it be a greater difference than if we were calculating primes instead? Probably.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 07:58:15 PM

* Designed processors
* Knows how prime number searching works and how to implement that at the machine level

I know a guy who has designed processors, and I myself know how SHA-256 works on a machine level. Dunno about the last one, though.
You need someone who knows all three. Those people are rare overall, not to mention here.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
jpmi1

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 08:29:51 PM

I just came back from vacation and sadly my miner is 8 days behind Sad. I downloaded hp7 but I can not connect to the network. Any help?

I have restarted windows and the client. Also tried to add a couple of nodes but that does not seem to be working.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯ RELAUNCH First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ https://poloniex.com/exchange/btc_yin
XPM:AeuQPMAGRLyWbWkVgAtE4JcfSyGHATUkmG
DTC:D9mwyQo9xPAPWCtKYhthnX2uSPivcjKyLN
Trillium

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 01:58:35 AM

I just came back from vacation and sadly my miner is 8 days behind Sad. I downloaded hp7 but I can not connect to the network. Any help?

I have restarted windows and the client. Also tried to add a couple of nodes but that does not seem to be working.

I had this problem too, it seemed to come and go away by itself. It was happening while I restarting the client a lot while testing different sievesizes. Adding many nodes did not help. Have you tried just leaving it running for an hour so until it can find some connections, that's what I ended up doing?

Another entirely plausible possibility is that windows firewall is blocking it. You need to allow it for each different version you run because the file you are executing is probably in a different folder for each version, so windows firewall considers it new/unknown. Windows firewall on the first run will ask if you want to unblock or keep blocking. Its possible you either clicked the wrong button, or your firewall did not notify you, or you have some other software firewall that is blocking it.

jpmi1

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 02:59:17 AM

I had this problem too, it seemed to come and go away by itself. It was happening while I restarting the client a lot while testing different sievesizes. Adding many nodes did not help. Have you tried just leaving it running for an hour so until it can find some connections, that's what I ended up doing?

Another entirely plausible possibility is that windows firewall is blocking it. You need to allow it for each different version you run because the file you are executing is probably in a different folder for each version, so windows firewall considers it new/unknown. Windows firewall on the first run will ask if you want to unblock or keep blocking. Its possible you either clicked the wrong button, or your firewall did not notify you, or you have some other software firewall that is blocking it.
Just did that and it worked. Thanks

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯ RELAUNCH First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ https://poloniex.com/exchange/btc_yin
XPM:AeuQPMAGRLyWbWkVgAtE4JcfSyGHATUkmG
DTC:D9mwyQo9xPAPWCtKYhthnX2uSPivcjKyLN
#Darren

Activity: 784

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 04:36:43 AM

What's the latest popular speculation on coin exchange value? 

████████████████
   ████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████   ███████████████████
█████████████████        ███████████████
█████████████████          █████████████
█████████████████            ████████████
█████████████████             ███████████
█████████████████              ██████████
█████████████████              ██████████
█████████████████            ███████████
█████████████████          █████████████
█████████████████      ███████████████
█████████████████ ████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
     █████████████████
          ████
DIA | OPEN ACCESS FINANCIAL DATA
lsd225

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 04:44:44 AM

* Designed processors

I have extensive knowledge of prime number theory and how modern computers can be used to find them but this is not going to 'unlock' more efficient methods of mining the coins. First mining involves more than finding primes. Second and more important in an imaginary world where we had asic chips mining prime coin as the difficulty level shot into the sky the awards of coins per block diminish very low. The design of the coin is such that it yields 'less' the 'more' you throw at it and we would all be in the exact same place we are now.

Personally I think the beta testers of the coin may have perfected some 'better' builds to mine than we have available in public now. I have no proof of this and anyone who helped make this source has a right to use their knowledge to their advantage. We all have the right to not mine the coin.

Until prime coin has some regular uses other than just mining and selling on an exchange it will remain a commodity only. I admire the development team for it's creation at a time when a new coin is launched every other day.  Prime coin is popular now because it is unique and while the long term scientific value to be expected from the project is low it is a great step in a direction to design a coin that does something more than drive up electricity use. My advice is to just enjoy it as it is now. Give it a year or two to develop. I suspect if any 'advanced' methods' of mining prime coin are developed they will not be posted for everyone to use. Anyone that gets a powerful edge is most likely to keep it quiet and mine for their own benefit.

Bitcoin was designed to be a form of currency beyond traditional corporate and government control for the better of all but a majority of posts I read give me the impression most are mining to just make a quick buck. The current money system of the world revolves around greed. The true long term benefit to everyone would be a permanent change in how money changes hands in the world and negation of any entity to just 'print more bills' like all nations do now. I may be a minority opinion here but I think this result if achieved would be a much bigger win for everyone than just a few of us making some money in the short run.

So can we relax about GPU, FPGA, ASIC mining and think of the big picture?
ivanlabrie

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 05:09:34 AM

Bravo Cheesy
Foamy

Activity: 96

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 07:32:53 AM

I wonder what kind of PPS a Parallella can achieve. At $99 I'm about to buy one.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone

oxfeeefeee

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 08:03:59 AM

Hello, do you know why my primes per sec is around 350/400 now and one week before it was 850 ?
I have an AMD FX 6300..
Does primes per sec depends of the difficulty ?
Thank you
yes.
but the number looks low, maybe you need to update your miner if you are not using the latest of this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=255782.0
Pages: « 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... 197 »
  Print  

Jump to: