Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:51:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanitygen: Vanity bitcoin address generator/miner [v0.22]  (Read 1152827 times)
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 12:11:25 PM

Or maybe I could be running 3 instances of oclvanitygen each for each GPU to increase the probability of finding an address and it's priv key? Would that be the same?
Exactly.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 02:04:26 PM

Because ALL bitcoin addresses always start with 1. No such thing as a 3 address.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Address :
A Bitcoin address, or simply address, is an identifier of approximately 34 alphanumeric characters, beginning with the number
1 or 3
An example of a Bitcoin address is 37muSN5ZrukVTvyVh3mT5Zc5ew9L9CBare

I'm not sure why they say that there. AFAIK the 1 comes from a version field indicating Bitcoin (vs. Namecoin etc) by convention. I've never seen a 3... address in use or displayed. I don't think it's because they "ran out" since addresses are generated randomly. I could be wrong though as I don't know all the innards and history.

You can actuallly run oclvanitygen at the same time as mining. I did it and it worked and dropped some % of mining speed. It did seem to be a bit unstable or maybe that was just pushing my OC a bit hard. I had better results when disabling the GPU from mining.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 03:12:51 PM

Because ALL bitcoin addresses always start with 1. No such thing as a 3 address.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Address :
A Bitcoin address, or simply address, is an identifier of approximately 34 alphanumeric characters, beginning with the number
1 or 3
An example of a Bitcoin address is 37muSN5ZrukVTvyVh3mT5Zc5ew9L9CBare

I'm not sure why they say that there. AFAIK the 1 comes from a version field indicating Bitcoin (vs. Namecoin etc) by convention. I've never seen a 3... address in use or displayed. I don't think it's because they "ran out" since addresses are generated randomly. I could be wrong though as I don't know all the innards and history.

You can actuallly run oclvanitygen at the same time as mining. I did it and it worked and dropped some % of mining speed. It did seem to be a bit unstable or maybe that was just pushing my OC a bit hard. I had better results when disabling the GPU from mining.

3 addresses are newer versions which use BIP0013. As these addresses are not hashes of pubkeys or privkeys, but rather scripts, generating vanity addresses is rather useless.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 03:59:57 PM

As discussed in the new thread on vanity address outsourcing the vanity addresses that start with 3 will be much easier (less computation) to create.  This will lead to the possibility of longer vanity addresses for those that start with 3.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 05:08:37 PM

As discussed in the new thread on vanity address outsourcing the vanity addresses that start with 3 will be much easier (less computation) to create.  This will lead to the possibility of longer vanity addresses for those that start with 3.
This does not mean generating vanity addresses starting with "3" with this generator is useful in any way.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 06:43:25 PM

This does not mean generating vanity addresses starting with "3" with this generator is useful in any way.
What do you mean?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 06:45:27 PM

What do you mean?

Vanity gen takess random private key and hashes it until it found a public key. 

Bitcoin addresses which start w/ 3 have no private key.  Any address starting w/ 3 generated by vanity gen would be utterly useless.  Any funds sent to it would be a black hole.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 07:05:57 PM

As discussed in this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56839.0 we are not talking about creating a vanity address using the current software that "just happens to start with a 3" we are talking about creating a proper vanity address that starts with 3 - that is - the hash of a one of two key script where one of the keys is a valid public key and the other key is a bogus "filler" public key.  Therefore you would end up with a vanity address that starts with a 3 which is the proper hash of a proper script that will work properly.

To do this would take a new version of the vanitygen (and GPU version of vanitygen) that does all the proper calculations in order to create the proper script and proper hash of the script.

The nice thing is that each trial in the search for the vanity address would be much faster.  In this future system the algorithm is:

1) Create a valid keypair
2) Create a random invalid/bogus public key (basically a nonce).  Note the private key is unknown/unknowable
3) Create a valid "use one of these two keys" script with the valid public key and the bogus public key as the two parameters
4) Properly hash the script (much easier that a public key calculation)
5) Check for the vanity pattern, if it matches quit, otherwise go to step 2)

Note that each trial is now just the time it takes to generate a random number and take the hash of the script!

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:29:42 PM

I get that just pointing out you responded to this quote...

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 07:45:43 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO actually reading the bolded part makes a big difference. 

I just made a new years resolution to learn to read more carefully.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 03:39:03 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2012, 04:07:05 AM by DeathAndTaxes

Interested in a modified version of vanitygen which can produce vanity addresses from minikeys.

A request for software has been posted here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=57040
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2012, 06:35:26 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2012, 07:55:48 PM by deepceleron

Interested in a modified version of vanitygen which can produce vanity addresses from minikeys.

samr hasn't logged into the forum since August. You might need to get the source yourself, try to set up a compile environment for it, and then modify the software so it searches for proper minikeys (only 1 in 10,000 or so mini-sized keys match the requirements if I recall) and then does the phrase check. Because of this additional difficulty, a normally 1-day phrase might take you 20 years though...
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 01:44:41 AM

samr hasn't logged into the forum since August. You might need to get the source yourself, try to set up a compile environment for it, and then modify the software so it searches for proper minikeys (only 1 in 10,000 or so mini-sized keys match the requirements if I recall) and then does the phrase check. Because of this additional difficulty, a normally 1-day phrase might take you 20 years though...

The source code is available on git.

I guess you didn't read anything at the link.
etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 02:09:27 AM

I wasn't able to get GPU working in linux, but it turns out my cluster of CPUs was enough to create the address I really wanted :

1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX

Am I really the first person that has done this?  FreeMoney didn't even recognize it as a BTC address.  At the very least, people should recognize that one when they see it Smiley

A donation is on its way!

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 02:59:52 AM

I wasn't able to get GPU working in linux, but it turns out my cluster of CPUs was enough to create the address I really wanted :

Am I really the first person that has done this?  FreeMoney didn't even recognize it as a BTC address.  At the very least, people should recognize that one when they see it Smiley

cool!

Can an address be made with only numbers?

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 03:10:11 AM

Am I really the first person that has done this?  FreeMoney didn't even recognize it as a BTC address.  At the very least, people should recognize that one when they see it Smiley

cool!

This problem gets exponentially harder, the fewer characters you choose to have in your final address.  In this case, I only wanted upper-case letters, which limits each character in the final address to one of 24 characters out of 58 (26 letters in alphabet minus 'I' and 'O').   If your address was only one letter after the '1', you would have to generate 2.4 addresses (58/24, on average) to get all uppercase letters.  If it was two letters, you'd have to generate 5.8 (2.4^2) addresses on average before finding it.  Etc.  So for an address with 32 letters, you're talking 2.4^32 guesses before finding such an address (on average).

At 300,000 keys per second in vanitygen, it should take about two months (I calculate 70 days) to find such an address as I have in my signature (on average).

If you now instead change it to all numbers, you've now limited yourself to 9/58 characters instead of 24/58 (10 digits minus '0').  If you repeat the calculation using 58/9, it will take 6.4^32 guesses.  At the same key generation rate, I calculate it would take 3,022,041,992,597,561 days to find such an address.

So the answer to your questions is... no Smiley

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 04:01:05 AM

i'm puzzled with that address of yours, how did you managed to generate the uppercase checksum... ?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 04:56:24 AM

Am I really the first person that has done this?  FreeMoney didn't even recognize it as a BTC address.  At the very least, people should recognize that one when they see it Smiley

cool!

This problem gets exponentially harder, the fewer characters you choose to have in your final address.  In this case, I only wanted upper-case letters, which limits each character in the final address to one of 24 characters out of 58 (26 letters in alphabet minus 'I' and 'O').   If your address was only one letter after the '1', you would have to generate 2.4 addresses (58/24, on average) to get all uppercase letters.  If it was two letters, you'd have to generate 5.8 (2.4^2) addresses on average before finding it.  Etc.  So for an address with 32 letters, you're talking 2.4^32 guesses before finding such an address (on average).

At 300,000 keys per second in vanitygen, it should take about two months (I calculate 70 days) to find such an address as I have in my signature (on average).

If you now instead change it to all numbers, you've now limited yourself to 9/58 characters instead of 24/58 (10 digits minus '0').  If you repeat the calculation using 58/9, it will take 6.4^32 guesses.  At the same key generation rate, I calculate it would take 3,022,041,992,597,561 days to find such an address.

So the answer to your questions is... no Smiley

So there's a chance...

I like how you sent btc from the address to prove you own it. Very nice.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 05:06:07 AM

You must have gone though a lot of addresses that had all capitals BUT had numbers or some small letters in the checksum, right?

etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 05:13:52 AM

You must have gone though a lot of addresses that had all capitals BUT had numbers or some small letters in the checksum, right?

Why is there an assumption that the checksum is any different than the rest of the letters?  The address is created from 25 bytes.  The first byte is always '\x00' which corresponds to the first '1' you see in every main-network Bitcoin address.  So we will ignore that one...

But the following 20 bytes are a hash, which means it's all essentially-random bits.  Then, the checksum is just 4 more bytes, which are also a hash... which means it's essentially random, too.  When I say "essentially-random", I mean from the perspective of what characters will be used in the Base58 address, all letters are equally likely for all positions, except maybe the very first character after the '1', and that's for reasons that are difficult to explain...

But the point is that the address is created from a sequence of 24 bytes (addr + checksum) which are all essentially random, so why would some letters be more difficult to match than others?   If you want more information about how addresses are computed, click the bottom link in my signature.  There's a diagram halfway down that shows how addresses are generated from the public key. 

-Eto

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 191 »
  Print  

Jump to: