Bitcoin Forum
December 08, 2016, 04:12:40 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 155 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanitygen: Vanity bitcoin address generator/miner [v0.22]  (Read 809320 times)
Dabs
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1526

64blocks.com

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 05:51:47 AM

Can the latest version (v0.22) make compressed keys? The ones that start with Letters and not 5 for the private key part. Sure I can convert it, but I'd want to generate a few hundred compressed keys (offline) for cold storage.

64blocks.com Social Multiplayer Dice (Gambling) - Escrow Service (Services) - GPG ID: 32AD7565, OTC ID: Dabs
All messages concerning escrow or with bitcoin addresses are GPG signed. Please verify.
CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified Professional, MCSA: Windows 10; Windows Server 2012, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure; Productivity; Messaging

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
christop

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 04:43:22 PM

Can the latest version (v0.22) make compressed keys? The ones that start with Letters and not 5 for the private key part. Sure I can convert it, but I'd want to generate a few hundred compressed keys (offline) for cold storage.
I'm curious why you want compressed keys (or what the purpose of a compressed key is, really). A compressed key is actually longer than an uncompressed key (52 characters vs 51 characters) so it won't save you any storage space.

Tips are always welcome: 17Z63hLi2ox4fCMhDqVJrLTJiXVcBMJpMo
Alpaca socks donations: 1sockzDWcF8mrC59CgiN7HAJm6xL7TiRW
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 07:11:52 PM

I haven't read this entire thread, as it's simply too long to read. Wink

Anyway - I decided to store some coins locally, and I decided the safest way would be to run VanityGen and produce adresses along with private keys on an air-gapped computer.

I have a 150MB ISO-image (grml64-small_2013.02.iso) that I've modified with WinISO to add a directory containing these files:

libcrypto.so.0.9.8
libpcre.so.3
readme.txt
vanitygen

Vanitygen is compiled with the instructions in the first post in this thread, from source.

readme.txt simply states:

Code:
run on command line:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.

This makes sure vanitygen searches in the current directory for libraries.

Now, simply run:

Code:
./vanitygen 1mono

to find adresses containing '1mono'-prefix. Or choose any other prefix you'd like, but remember it should start with 1 (or at least so I think).

You will now get the bitcoin address and it's corresponding private key. All what you need now is to note down that key and address, whenever you feel like saving something to that address, just send some coins there. Whenever you want to redeem the coins, import the private key to your wallet. There's many guides for this, so I won't repeat that.

The files, after you've booted can be found in /lib/live/mount/medium/vanitygen if you used WinISO (On Windows 7) to put it in the root of the iso-image.

To prepare the USB disk (make it bootable and add iso), I used Universal USB Installer 1.9.3.0. (On windows 7)

Following these instructions, you should be able to create your own bootable vanitygen usb-stick, if you can't be arsed to do it, let me know, in this thread or on pm, and I'll make the iso available if there's any demand for it.

The reason it's safe to do this is that you run it on a machine with no network connection. Make sure to unplug the network cable, or disable the wifi. Then, when the address and private key is generated, once the machine is shut down, there's no trace left of your key, apart from what you have noted down.

Note that printing it with a printer, or taking a picture of the code with your telephone may expose you to other kind of attacks.

Air-gapped, live bootable USB seems very secure. Then check the balance with blockchain.info or any other block explorer site.
Dabs
Staff
Legendary

64blocks.com

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 12:45:44 AM

I'm curious why you want compressed keys (or what the purpose of a compressed key is, really). A compressed key is actually longer than an uncompressed key (52 characters vs 51 characters) so it won't save you any storage space.

That's just 1 byte more for the human readable public key. This isn't an issue. The compressed key is half the size of the uncompressed key in transactions and in the block chain. That saves a lot of space, which also translates into lower transaction fees in the long term.

64blocks.com Social Multiplayer Dice (Gambling) - Escrow Service (Services) - GPG ID: 32AD7565, OTC ID: Dabs
All messages concerning escrow or with bitcoin addresses are GPG signed. Please verify.
CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified Professional, MCSA: Windows 10; Windows Server 2012, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure; Productivity; Messaging
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1470

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 12:49:06 AM

The files, after you've booted can be found in /lib/live/mount/medium/vanitygen if you used WinISO (On Windows 7) to put it in the root of the iso-image.

To prepare the USB disk (make it bootable and add iso), I used Universal USB Installer 1.9.3.0. (On windows 7)
Consider:
-Your windows machine is completely PwnD, making any code that touched it untrustable and/or
-Your adversary can remotely access or physically steal the USB device and recover anything you've deleted or had in RAM (swap file).

Better still would be to disconnect all hard drives and storage media on the target machine, and only boot and run off a live CD with a compile environment. You then only have to figure out how to get vanitygen code to the machine securely (removable non-writable media), and how to get the address/privkeys off the machine securely (print, burn CD) without creating any persistent digital copy whatsoever.

If you don't actually need vanity addresses, easier is just to use the bitaddress HTML/JavaScript generator code offline.

pc

Activity: 253

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:51:32 AM

If generating keys using an airgapped live-cd-booted computer (with any software, not just vanitygen), you want to make sure that your system's randomness pool has enough entropy before you start using it. When you start eliminating all outside forces on your computer, you can end up also making it much harder for your computer to generate the random numbers used for private keys. I would guess that for most systems just bashing on the keyboard and moving the mouse a bit before you start generating is sufficient, but I wouldn't take my word for that.
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 01:17:28 AM

I would guess that for most systems just bashing on the keyboard and moving the mouse a bit before you start generating is sufficient, but I wouldn't take my word for that.
Some rand generators use this method to obtain entropy data, but that doesn't do anything by itself.

Vanitygen uses OpenSSL to generate it's random private keys, which is pretty well vetted. If you have concerns that the startup state may be deterministic, you can use something like gpg key generator which does use random keyboard input to increase entropy, and then feed the gpg key data into vanitygen as a random seed.

There are rare hardware platforms that include a real hardware random number generator, notably VIA C3 processors and Intel 840 chipsets. These can feed urandom true hardware randomness with a kernel patch.

extra credit: spot the bitcoin developer
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/hw_random.txt

paraipan
Legendary

Activity: 924

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 01:39:50 AM

extra credit: spot the bitcoin developer
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/hw_random.txt

Done  Smiley

Copyright 2000,2001 Jeff Garzik <jgarzik @ pobox.com>

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 01:54:20 AM

That's just 1 byte more for the human readable public key. This isn't an issue. The compressed key is half the size of the uncompressed key in transactions and in the block chain. That saves a lot of space, which also translates into lower transaction fees in the long term.
Can't the compressed key be derived from WIF?

I recommend asking me for a signature from my GPG key before doing a trade. I will NEVER deny such a request.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Java, PHP, HTML/CSS Programmer for Hire!

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 01:58:33 AM

Nope they hash out to different bitcoin addresses

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 03:11:33 AM

Learn something new every day

I recommend asking me for a signature from my GPG key before doing a trade. I will NEVER deny such a request.
christop

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:02:57 AM

A private key is a private key. A "compressed" private key is just one of a few different representations or "formats" of a private key. You can convert between the different representations easily with a tool like https://www.bitaddress.org. Try it out and see the various formats.

The private key is also never stored in the actual Bitcoin transaction, so its size plays no part there.

Tips are always welcome: 17Z63hLi2ox4fCMhDqVJrLTJiXVcBMJpMo
Alpaca socks donations: 1sockzDWcF8mrC59CgiN7HAJm6xL7TiRW
Dabs
Staff
Legendary

64blocks.com

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 05:59:18 AM

uh, no. Compressed keys (private) are smaller. 33 bytes compared to 65 bytes. If you try sending coins to the different public keys (compressed and uncompressed) ... well, I haven't tried it, but someone said they don't go to the same address.

The advantage is clear: their public keys are smaller, resulting in smaller transactions on the network, saving block chain size for everyone.

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/5952/why-does-bitcoin-support-both-compressed-and-uncompressed-keys-addresses

Blowfeld

Activity: 53

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 11:34:16 AM

christop:  +1

Dabs:  -1

The 51-character *private* key that starts with a '5' and the 52-character *private* key that starts with a 'K' or an 'L' are equivalent to each other and can be converted back and forth between each other.  They are the same private key.

Either of the private keys (since they are one and the same) will allow you to derive the (uncompressed) *public* key, which is 65 binary octets in length OR the compressed *public* key, which is 33 binary octets in length.  For transactions where the public key is stored in the blockchain, obviously, the compressed *public* key saves some space.  However, most transactions do not contain a *public* key.  And no transaction ever contains a *private* key.

The hash of the (uncompressed) *public* key yields the standard bitcoin address.  The hash of the compressed *public* key yields an alternate bitcoin address.  Both bitcoin addresses are the same size.

The two forms of bitcoin address cannot be converted from one to the other without knowledge of the private key.  [Remember, there is only 1 private key, whether it is compressed or not.]

It is possible some wallets may not know the two forms of private key are one and the same.  It is possible some wallets may assume compressed public keys go with compressed private keys and that uncompressed public keys go with uncompressed private keys.  If that is the case, the wallet is deficient.  The mathematics are as I stated above.

Or there is something new that hasn't made it into the official Bitcoin specifications.  Smiley

1BLowmewTGDsLYEAbvenZCcEnLJzwuFssX
Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 11:59:34 AM

Is it still true that, Vanitygen won't work with the latest Catalyst drivers?
Is the best advice still to go back to an older version of Catalyst, or is a modification of VanityGen being worked on to work?

I generated a decent amount of address' a few months ago, but got the bug to do a few more again, but found it not working now.

Lethos Designs | UK BTC Seller -  Local Bitcoins | BTC OTC Rating | 1EFhXfX9uXsbXBF3LC69GiVfS3SHCsyMR1
FPGA: 2x Quad XC6SLX150 Boards
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 12:10:28 PM

However, most transactions do not contain a *public* key.
Fixed.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transactions
A Bitcoin address is only a hash, so the sender can't provide a full public key in scriptPubKey. When redeeming coins that have been sent to a Bitcoin address, the recipient provides both the signature and the public key.

Is it still true that, Vanitygen won't work with the latest Catalyst drivers?
Is the best advice still to go back to an older version of Catalyst, or is a modification of VanityGen being worked on to work?

Still true as of the beta v13 driver from a month ago, and not likely to change. Vanitygen is open source, so it can be fixed by anybody, although it will be about 1000x easier to install a different driver version than to learn OpenCL programming and discover what changes need to be made. Samr is known for popping back into existence with a new version of vanitygen with new features though.

Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 01:39:22 PM

Thanks DeepCeleron.

I'll probably just revert back temporarily. If It goes unfixed for a while, I might be tempted to give it a go in fixing it myself.
I've dabbled in quiet a few languages over the years. But I admit I wouldn't know where to start to fix this one.

Lethos Designs | UK BTC Seller -  Local Bitcoins | BTC OTC Rating | 1EFhXfX9uXsbXBF3LC69GiVfS3SHCsyMR1
FPGA: 2x Quad XC6SLX150 Boards
pc

Activity: 253

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:07:08 PM

I think one of the problems is that the term "compressed private key" is used colloquially to mean "private key marked with a flag to indicate that the wallet should use the compressed version of the public key when generating an address", and no compression is actually ever done on the private key.
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:22:41 PM

Consider:
-Your windows machine is completely PwnD, making any code that touched it untrustable and/or
It was a fresh install - with a minimum amounts of programs on it. So I don't see the reason to worry.......... It's not like a malware program would attack the computer that was freshly formatted, fresh w7 install and done all windows update + service pack 1. + firewall AND then insert malicious code in the iso-image that i manipulated, and then putting said iso image on an usb disk that i connected to another computer, and I had already retrieved the vanitigen binaries from a hardened down debian server on my local network and put these in the iso. Then i boot this usb image with the vanitygen program, generate the address/privkey par and then proceed to shut down that computer. Nothing is saved on the usb disk, and the computer in question is turned off, when it's back on, it doesn't even knew there was key-generating going on minutes ago, no way for anyone to get that info. Also the pc i booted from was off the network. There's not a chance that the private key can be compromised. If you know or think otherwise, please let me know - but your post reeks of those chest pugging know-it-all attitude that some geeks have.

-Your adversary can remotely access or physically steal the USB device and recover anything you've deleted or had in RAM (swap file).

They can steal the USB device - fine - no private key there. Remote access, what good would it do when there's no private key there to be found ? Also this iso image will never have network contact once written to the usb-drive.. RAM - swap file ? Off the network, shut off - rebooted with normal OS. Yeah - big risk there...

Better still would be to disconnect all hard drives and storage media on the target machine, and only boot and run off a live CD with a compile environment. You then only have to figure out how to get vanitygen code to the machine securely (removable non-writable media), and how to get the address/privkeys off the machine securely (print, burn CD) without creating any persistent digital copy whatsoever.

If you don't actually need vanity addresses, easier is just to use the bitaddress HTML/JavaScript generator code offline.

You're frankly talking completely out of your ass Sir. Even if my vanity gen compile somehow got compromised, it would be no help as it never would be online, and thus could never send any information anywhere.

For the record, the info was noted down on paper - by hand. I already mentioned that I did not make a photo with my cell or just a printer, exactly not to create persistent digital copies...

Your post was total bollocks.
wizkid057
Legendary

Activity: 1170

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 02:51:05 AM

1 BTC bounty for a fix for 13.x catalyst + vanitygen patch working, with source and builds for Linux, Windows, etc.

Tips: 1LDQrLr6dPVqNJmpZm82eZVKqDFRk7ERW8
Operator of the Eligius Mining Pool - 0% Fee, CPPSRB, GBT, Stratum, IRC+Phone Support, Awesome stats, Generation payouts, and more.
Don't feed the trolls. Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic (1)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 155 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.