Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:22:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 586 »
  Print  
Author Topic: HashFast announces specs for new ASIC: 400GH/s  (Read 880232 times)
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 06:04:46 PM

So anyone have any guesses which foundry it is going to be?

... has been released for 28nm fabrication to a well-known, leading-edge foundry ...

I don't think anyone other than Samsung, TSMC, UMC, and GF have 28nm capacity. TSMC is the most likely choice but I am going to guess GlobalFoundries.

Looks like WIN*** ...
Isn't so full of WIN  Cool

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
regular

Activity: 297
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 06:04:08 PM

still waiting for more information regarding their chip and foundry before taking the leap.  I still remember back when Avalon started, they had their TSMC contract for all to see which was great.
calichomp

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 09:08:34 PM

HashFast's Golden Nonce GN ASIC successfully taped-out yesterday, Wednesday the 28th, and has been released for 28nm fabrication to a well-known, leading-edge foundry.  More details will follow in next week's joint press release.

-John

Congratulations John (and rest of HF team).  Big milestone.  I look forward to the joint press release. 
I assume this means you still anticipate meeting your delivery estimate?

Thanks D&T,

Yes, we are still looking good. Its exciting over here!

-John

Please share your schedule with us.  All of us are very skeptical that you will deliver systems in October.  Cutting glass, obtaining first silicon and packaging will take at least 2 months.  Not to mention system assembly and prototype test.  Even in tapeing out August 28th you're looking at LATE November easy or you're simply lying to everyone.  If you disagree please share your exact schedule with us.

-The Skeptical
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 10:30:55 PM

HashFast's Golden Nonce GN ASIC successfully taped-out yesterday, Wednesday the 28th, and has been released for 28nm fabrication to a well-known, leading-edge foundry.  More details will follow in next week's joint press release.

-John

Congratulations John (and rest of HF team).  Big milestone.  I look forward to the joint press release. 

Thanks D&T,

-John

Please share your schedule with us.  All of us are very skeptical that you will deliver systems in October.  Cutting glass, obtaining first silicon and packaging will take at least 2 months.  Not to mention system assembly and prototype test.  Even in tapeing out August 28th you're looking at LATE November easy or you're simply lying to everyone.  If you disagree please share your exact schedule with us.

-The Skeptical

Calling someone a liar is a little extreme.  Claiming chips can possibly be obtained in less than 2 months is also extreme.  There is a concept of a "rocket run" in the industry. 
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 08:57:03 AM

HashFast's Golden Nonce GN ASIC successfully taped-out yesterday, Wednesday the 28th, and has been released for 28nm fabrication to a well-known, leading-edge foundry.  More details will follow in next week's joint press release.

-John

Congratulations John (and rest of HF team).  Big milestone.  I look forward to the joint press release.  

Thanks D&T,

-John

Please share your schedule with us.  All of us are very skeptical that you will deliver systems in October.  Cutting glass, obtaining first silicon and packaging will take at least 2 months.  Not to mention system assembly and prototype test.  Even in tapeing out August 28th you're looking at LATE November easy or you're simply lying to everyone.  If you disagree please share your exact schedule with us.

-The Skeptical

Calling someone a liar is a little extreme.  Claiming chips can possibly be obtained in less than 2 months is also extreme.  There is a concept of a "rocket run" in the industry.  

It's called a "Bullet Run"....BFL coined it already & it didn't help get anything done any faster  Cheesy  Of course being BFL it was all smoke & mirrors   Cheesy

Good luck Hashfast crew...I'm watching & waiting for a prototype before I buy in  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
bbxx

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

cryptoshark

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 09:03:01 AM

-John

Thanks D&T,

-John

-The Skeptical

90 days from now.
You will see...
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 11:10:12 AM

Well, i'm in.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
HashFast (OP)

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 05:31:49 PM

Hi Hashfast,

i placed an order and sent you the order# via email asking for the bank wire information so i can transfer you the money.  can you get back to me today since its going to be a 3 day weekend.

Hi,  Cara tells me that this is resolved. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
 - John

eve

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:07:12 AM

Hi Hashfast,

i placed an order and sent you the order# via email asking for the bank wire information so i can transfer you the money.  can you get back to me today since its going to be a 3 day weekend.

Hi,  Cara tells me that this is resolved. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
 - John

John,

Please correct me if I am wrong? Your refund Policy says that if we do not received our Miner by December 2013 only after that we can request a refund? So you are 100% sure the miners will not deliver in October 31st?
regular

Activity: 297
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:57:31 PM

So far the main thing that keeps Hashfast competitive is their miner protection program.  If they deliver late, as long as their customers get access to extra hashrate at a low cost, it could still work out despite missing deadlines.  However, we will have to see if they are able to supply the rigs for a reasonable price to use the extra chips.
AsicShill

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:06:07 PM

Yeah... the MPP is pretty awesome... but it is near useless if they don't provide "usable" hashpower for a nominal fee. 

Raw chips without a PCB is pretty tough pill to swallow. And if they decide to charge 10BTC per populated PCB in March, there is nothing in their terms to stop that.  They promised that there would be an independent DIY community at the time, but no technical specifications of the chip has been released which would be a pre-requisite.

Hopefully there will be some clarity provided around this soon for customers (I am one btw)... not that is matters as they are sold out.  But yes... the MPP is the most attractive/innovative part of HF's offer.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 07:16:46 PM

They promised that there would be an independent DIY community at the time, but no technical specifications of the chip has been released which would be a pre-requisite.

Plans are being made to jumpstart the HashFast FOSS/FOSH ecosystem.  Watch this space...   Wink

If the MPP is triggered there will be a healthy market for raw GN chips and assembly services.

I know how badly Avalon burned the DIY community, but don't worry, the adults have arrived!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:21:22 PM
Last edit: September 02, 2013, 07:35:00 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Yeah... the MPP is pretty awesome... but it is near useless if they don't provide "usable" hashpower for a nominal fee.  

Raw chips without a PCB is pretty tough pill to swallow. And if they decide to charge 10BTC per populated PCB in March, there is nothing in their terms to stop that.  They promised that there would be an independent DIY community at the time, but no technical specifications of the chip has been released which would be a pre-requisite.

Hopefully there will be some clarity provided around this soon for customers (I am one btw)... not that is matters as they are sold out.  But yes... the MPP is the most attractive/innovative part of HF's offer.

Clarity would be a good thing but there are a couple of positives:
1) HF publicly showed the # of units sold and honestly it is a relatively low number (~0.25 PH/s direct sales, ~0.5 PH/s including IceDrill)
2) If nobody else IceDrill will have the knowledge and experience making boards as they are buying only chips.

So while HF "could" screw over their customers charging a high premium for boards and assembly most of their potential profit comes from future sales and burning the early customers is a good way to ensure there are none.  Also given at least one outside entity has the specs and ability to produce boards it is kinda hard to close the door now.  That being said it would be an encouraging sign if HF provides some specs for the boards as well as a guestimate on what they would charge to convert chips to complete boards or rigs.   Boards might be more useful as cases, power supplies, waterblocks, and other gear can be obtained off the shelf.  I also assume the controller used in the babyjet can be connected to more than one hashing board.  So the critical number is what is the cost for an assembled & tested board.

jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:34:13 PM

Good point there D&T on IceDrill guys.  Not sure they will want to "help the competition" but I guess everyone has a price. 

So the critical number is what is the cost for a board.

I would say add a "populated" board.  I don't want to try skillet, or toaster oven reflowing my 400GH/s chip thank you very much.

Personally I have faith that HF will do their early adopters a solid and will provide a reasonably priced assembled PCB with chip... and the remaining off the shelf stuff can be picked up the by customer from amazon, newegg, or bitcoinstore.  Enquiring minds would reallly like to know what that "reasonably priced assembled PCB with chip" would be.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:38:22 PM

I would say add a "populated" board.

Agreed that was my meaning, I updated the post for clarity.

If HF provides boards I can't see them saying "build it yourself".  Generally the more boards assembled the lower cost per unit so no single user could achieve the costs (and yes time is money) of HF doing a run of a couple thousand boards.  I would expect if the MPP is exercised most users would opt to pay the difference and receive completed boards over raw chips. 
AsicShill

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 07:49:03 PM

If HF provides boards I can't see them saying "build it yourself".  Generally the more boards assembled the lower cost per unit so no single user could achieve the costs (and yes time is money) of HF doing a run of a couple thousand boards.  I would expect if the MPP is exercised most users would opt to pay the difference and receive completed boards over raw chips. 

"Build it yourself" is exactly what they are saying with the MPP chips, but I know what you mean. 

My guess is that HF MPP has a 90 day lockout period, probably put in place with the IceDrill guys, to make sure they are getting value.  If HF is able to produce reasonably priced boards in Feb. (90 days after Icedrill receives their chips), I think all their customers will be pretty happy.  I think everyone expects difficulty to skyrocket in the next 5 months so that MPP will be surely appreciated.
Visesrion

Activity: 826
Merit: 314

GIF by SOCIFI

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 08:03:36 PM

But why is HF offering raw chips to icedrill (nothing against them) and not to their customers ?

I have read some pages back that in the future their goal was to offer chips+populated pcb boards and the rest of the components (fans, psu, case..) will be easy to obtain as they will be compatible with the standard computer parts. But I didn't think that this was gonna hapen so early.

I mean, why they dont offer to the public the option of purchasing also the chips and the boards ?
You offer the customer a first exclusive batch with the nice miner protection plan and on the other hand you have an agreement with someone else to sell just the chips at the same time as the customers from the 1 batch. What kind of protection is that ?

If you are gonna sell just chips do it for everyone or at least let it know somewhere to organize groupbuys for example. As international customer I will prefer just to be sent a chip+pcbs , instead all the heavy stuff that includes this first batch and will also may be much cheaper.

Again I dont have anything against icedrill as they are doing their best, the problem is that with whole units ordered on HF and having NO option anywhere at this time to purchase just the chips, you got an agreement to do it exclusively with someone else.

Even Avalon waits 3 batches before releasing their chips bulk orders and pcb designs. I know is not the best example right now  Cheesy

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
             █████████████████                   █████████████████
         █████████████████████████           █████████████████████████
       █████████████████████████████       █████████████████████████████
     █████████████████████████████████   █████████████████████████████████
   ████████████▀           ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
  ████████████▄▄███████████▄▄█████████▓▓▓███████████████████████████████████
 ▐██████████████▀         ▀██████████▓▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████
 ██████████████▄▄█████████▄▄█████████▓▓▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████
▐█████████████████▀      ▀██████████▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████▌
▐████████████████▄▄██████▄▄█████████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███████████████████████████████████▌
▐██████████████████      ███████████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███████████████████████████████████▌
▐██████████████████ ████ ████████████▓▓▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████
 ██████████████████ ████ ████████████▓▓▓▓▓███████████████    ████████████████
  █████████████████ ████ █████████████▓▓▓████████████████   █████████████   █
   ████████████████      ███████████████████████████████    ███████████
    ██████████████████████████████████ ██████████████████     ████████
      ███████████████████████████████     █████████████████
        ███████████████████████████         █████████████████▓
           ████████████████████                ███████████████████▓
               ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄████████████████████████████▄
████████████████████████████████
▓████████████████████████████████▓
███████████████████████▒░███████████
▄█████████████████▒░      ███████████▄
█████████████░░          ░████████████
█████████░              ░█████████████
██████████▓░░          ░██████████████
██████████████▓░       ███████████████
▀███████████████▒     ░██████████████▀
████████████████▒   ░███████████████
████████████████░ ░███████████████
████████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
 ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
JOIN OUR
TELEGRAM
jspielberg

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 08:24:19 PM
Last edit: September 02, 2013, 08:57:29 PM by jspielberg

The information you are looking for has not been said in public, and is most likely under NDA, but I think AsicSchill is probably right.  IceDrill is the primary single customer for HF.  They have about the same amount of raw chip hashpower than HF's own Babyjet line.  For that level of commitment, I would imagine that the IceDrill folks are footing a large part of HF's NRE chip costs, and want to make sure their investment is a good value.

This really is no different than Bitfury chips being sold to the the 100TH 200TH mine to recover NRE and still have some left over to send to Metabank, BFSB, MBP, Burnin, Bitfury's private ghas.io, etc.  

The difference is that IceDrill guys probably made sure they had an exclusive for their commitment of 1/4 PH (i.e. about 50% of the entire Global Hashrate at the time of the deal most likely).  I think after the 90 days, raw chips will be made available to the public, though my guess is they are going to be looking for B2B relationships and not B2C.... again... pure speculation.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 08:45:08 PM

The information you are looking for has not been said in public, and is most likely under NDA, but I think AsicSchill is probably right.  IceDrill is the primary investor in HF.  They have double the amount of raw chip hashpower than HF's own Babyjet line.  For that level of commitment, I would imagine that the IceDrill folks are footing a large part of HF's NRE chip costs, and want to make sure their investment is a good value.

IceDrill is 250 TH/s.  550 BabyJets @ 400 GH/s nominal is 220 TH/s.  If MPP is maxed out the BabyJet Customers would receive 1,100 TH/s.
jspielberg

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 08:55:35 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2013, 02:05:09 AM by jspielberg

The information you are looking for has not been said in public, and is most likely under NDA, but I think AsicSchill is probably right.  IceDrill is the primary investor in HF.  They have double the amount of raw chip hashpower than HF's own Babyjet line.  For that level of commitment, I would imagine that the IceDrill folks are footing a large part of HF's NRE chip costs, and want to make sure their investment is a good value.

IceDrill is 250 TH/s.  550 BabyJets @ 400 GH/s nominal is 220 TH/s.  If MPP is maxed out the BabyJet Customers would receive 1,100 TH/s.

Sorry... my mistake.  I thought IceDrill was a 500TH mine.  I will correct my post.

Edit:
Looks like they were initially a 500TH mine, but have scaled back to 250TH.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 586 »
  Print  

Jump to: