Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:56:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1423GH] ABCPool PPS - Proxy Pool For High & Steady Mining Rewards  (Read 151527 times)
MintCondition (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1147
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 02:54:26 PM

Question: is there a reason why I am getting miner idles for my workers? Also, it seems that sometimes it take a while for a GPU to get a connection to your servers. Are you at capacity? Also, what pool server are you using?
Hi Gigasvps,

ABCPool runs on a heavily modified pushpool. We've seen some idling on our own miners as well sometimes, we'll investigate this.

MC

"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 03:03:56 PM

Question: is there a reason why I am getting miner idles for my workers? Also, it seems that sometimes it take a while for a GPU to get a connection to your servers. Are you at capacity? Also, what pool server are you using?
Hi Gigasvps,

ABCPool runs on a heavily modified pushpool. We've seen some idling on our own miners as well sometimes, we'll investigate this.

MC

If I could make a suggestion...

I have run on pools using pool server j and have seen some amazing results. I would highly recommend looking into using it if at all possible.
likuidxd

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 03:56:48 AM

Putting my hashrate here for a while, trying you guys out. Looks nice so far

carlo

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 05:44:25 PM

looks like down at the moment, or is it just my isp that cant connect to the pool.
rTech

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

Trust but confirm!

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 05:47:18 PM

looks like down at the moment, or is it just my isp that cant connect to the pool.
confirm, down here too...
Chlorine

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

Chlorine - keeps your pool in top condition

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 05:48:34 PM

The pool just went down, we expect to have it up in 5 minutes again.

... and up again!

ABCPool.co - Bitcoin Mining with steady rewards.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33586.msg419612#msg419612

1J3ZiBDN7z9WCRYL79z3youw1Bz1buhbGu
Mad7Scientist

Activity: 373
Merit: 262

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 02:27:10 AM

What's the pool buffer?
Eveofwar

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 02:27:45 AM

What's the pool buffer?

I don't think there is one, since this is straight PPS...
MintCondition (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 02:35:18 AM

What's the pool buffer?

I don't think there is one, since this is straight PPS...
That's right. You may be thinking of SMPPS and friends. For straight PPS (which ABCPool uses), the pool buffer does not control when payout occurs. At ABCPool, your shares are credited within two minutes of submitting them, and you can always withdraw that balance immediately.

MC

bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 01:02:14 AM

Wow.....that was a 'rocky' first hour and a half.....LMAO

Today it looks as though I was introduced to an entirely new classification of BTC share:

"The ABC Invalid" - it's kinda like a Stale, except you don't get paid for it and there seems to be a steady stream of 3 - 3.5x more of them than actuall recorded Stales....which oddly enough, one does get paid for.....LOL....imagine that.

freakfantom

Activity: 73
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 07:42:21 AM

Do you have plans to implement merged mining?
Mad7Scientist

Activity: 373
Merit: 262

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 06:11:03 PM

What? It's a PPS pool. It has to have a buffer. Each time the pool finds a block it puts the money in the buffer. Then money from the buffer is paid out to the people little by little as they do work.

Proportional doesn't have a buffer. I just pays the reward out to everyone when it gets it and splits it up based on how many shares each person put in to the round (even if they are no longer mining.) PPLNS is the same but it pays out based on how much work you are doing at that moment (which prevents pool hopping.)
urstroyer

Activity: 142

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 06:14:15 PM

What? It's a PPS pool. It has to have a buffer. Each time the pool finds a block it puts the money in the buffer. Then money from the buffer is paid out to the people little by little as they do work.

Proportional doesn't have a buffer. I just pays the reward out to everyone when it gets it and splits it up based on how many shares each person put in to the round (even if they are no longer mining.) PPLNS is the same but it pays out based on how much work you are doing at that moment (which prevents pool hopping.)

There is a difference between PPS and SMPPS:

PPS - Pay Per Share. Each submitted share is worth certain amount of BTC. Since finding a block requires <current difficulty> shares on average, a PPS method with 0% fee would be 50 BTC divided by <current difficulty>. It is risky for pool operators, hence the fee is highest.

SMPPS - Shared Maximum Pay Per Share. Like Pay Per Share, but never pays more than the pool earns.

MintCondition (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 06:23:26 PM

Do you have plans to implement merged mining?
We have no plans to change our current reward mechanism to include merged mining. We do intend to keep striving to offer you the highest and most predictable Bitcoin mining rewards on the market.

bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 07:22:53 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2011, 08:18:14 PM by bitlane

We do intend to keep striving to offer......most predictable.......
I hate to say it, but your Pool is anything BUT predictable....yet extremely predictable all at the same time.

The 'Unpredictable'
My measly little 4GH/s mining setup is very optomized and I would even go as far as to say that it runs with the stability and reliability of a finely tuned like a Swiss Time piece, constantly able to maintain a minimum of 99.50% or higher, of VALID shares on all of the current 'TOP POOLS', yet on ABC, it's performance (my mining setup that is) is more like that of a cheap chinese Rolex knock-off that could barely maintain a 96%+ VALID Share percentage yesterday. I am familiar enough with even the minute-to-minute performance of my setup and it's benchmarked performance on many other pools, that I feel confident enough to comment on it's sad showing yesterday.....with only an address change and nothing else.

The sadly 'Predictable'
Since your Pool is marketed as "Paying for Stales", It was quite interesting, considering my horrible VALID percentage, to see just how many of those non-valid shares were 'ABC-CLASSIFIED' as INVALIDS (not being paid) rather than STALES (that are 'paid').

With my past history, the known stability as well as the overall steady performance of my setup, it was quite disturbing to see that not only was my VALID percentage LOW, but those shares which would have been valid anywhere else on the planet.....and STALES at worst, were further subject to an additional 'slap in the face', being ABC-classified as UNPAID INVALIDS - most of which appeared following a long-polling notification. It was also quite odd to see that the UNPAID INVALIDS were continuously 3 to 3.5x greater an amount than the PAID STALES.........but like I said, SADLY PREDICTABLE.

The Pool's stats are however quite impressive to say the least (298++ GH/s) and are left to speak for themselves.....

It was another type of learning experience on the Bitcoin Road for me. The introduction to "The ABC Invalid"
Allan

plastic.elastic

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 08:46:38 PM

We do intend to keep striving to offer......most predictable.......
I hate to say it, but your Pool is anything BUT predictable....yet extremely predictable all at the same time.

The 'Unpredictable'
My measly little 4GH/s mining setup is very optomized and I would even go as far as to say that it runs with the stability and reliability of a finely tuned like a Swiss Time piece, constantly able to maintain a minimum of 99.50% or higher, of VALID shares on all of the current 'TOP POOLS', yet on ABC, it's performance (my mining setup that is) is more like that of a cheap chinese Rolex knock-off that could barely maintain a 96%+ VALID Share percentage yesterday. I am familiar enough with even the minute-to-minute performance of my setup and it's benchmarked performance on many other pools, that I feel confident enough to comment on it's sad showing yesterday.....with only an address change and nothing else.

The sadly 'Predictable'
Since your Pool is marketed as "Paying for Stales", It was quite interesting, considering my horrible VALID percentage, to see just how many of those non-valid shares were 'ABC-CLASSIFIED' as INVALIDS (not being paid) rather than STALES (that are 'paid').

With my past history, the known stability as well as the overall steady performance of my setup, it was quite disturbing to see that not only was my VALID percentage LOW, but those shares which would have been valid anywhere else on the planet.....and STALES at worst, were further subject to an additional 'slap in the face', being ABC-classified as UNPAID INVALIDS - most of which appeared following a long-polling notification. It was also quite odd to see that the UNPAID INVALIDS were continuously 3 to 3.5x greater an amount than the PAID STALES.........but like I said, SADLY PREDICTABLE.

The Pool's stats are however quite impressive to say the least (298++ GH/s) and are left to speak for themselves.....

It was another type of learning experience on the Bitcoin Road for me. The introduction to "The ABC Invalid"
Allan

I agree completely, the pool has abnormal of invalid shares... compare to other pools, its 3x more.

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 09:01:16 PM

I agree completely, the pool has abnormal of invalid shares... compare to other pools, its 3x more.

Here is a link to proof why the pool should use poolserverj -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33142.msg602707#msg602707

I am now an official psj cheerleader.   Grin
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 09:38:07 PM

Wink

High INVALIDS ? YES

High STALES ? NO (because those have to be paid out....lol)

MintCondition (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 10:02:23 PM
Last edit: November 03, 2011, 03:02:22 AM by MintCondition

Thanks for your well-written input Bitlane. We have to admit that since introducing timerolling at ABCPool, invalid rates have gone up. While initial results looked promising they has not kept up, as you have witnessed. We are working on getting this ironed out by applying extra instrumentation in our backend so we can pinpoint where things go awry.
To be clear: The predictability claim is about the reward scheme. Whereas somewhere else you don't know what a share will earn you, at ABCPool you know in advance (barring invalid shares).

My .. setup is .. able to maintain .. 99.50% .. VALID shares on all of the current 'TOP POOLS', yet on ABC .. could barely maintain a 96%+ VALID Share percentage yesterday.
For pools with PPLNS, Prop, or other non-*PPS reward schemes it is easy to report inflated counts of valid shares. For example, by allowing late submissions to count as valid for a couple of seconds. This does not improve earnings in any way, but will look better to the untrained eye. I remember reading one pool even admitting as much, using it as an advertising gimmick. This is of course only a cosmetic advantage: the same block reward simply has to be distributed among more shares, and everyone will still earn roughly the same. Bottomline: valid/stale rates for non-*PPS pools can never be fully trusted.

Conversely, *PPS pools cannot inflate valid share counts without taking a huge hit on their buffer, because there is no amortization going on: Every share is payed equally. Inflating valid count would mean increasing payouts without increasing income from solved blocks.

So what metric should a pool miner use then? Earnings! The earnings in the long run tell you what the best pool is. Sadly, the 'long' in long run really means long: a couple of days of data is surely not enough, due to wildly varying pool luck.

shares ... being ABC-classified as UNPAID INVALIDS - most of which appeared following a long-polling notification.
Nice catch Smiley What you saw is normal behavior. It has to do with how we distinguish between stales and invalids. Let me explain, It's quite simple, and fair (we think). When a new block comes in, we need to tell our miners as soon as possible so they won't waste any cycles on solving the old block. Our stance is that our miners should not be penalized for doing useless work, but only as long as we've not yet notified them of the new block. That's what Long Polling is for, so of course we'll trigger all LP waiters as soon as a new block comes in. That usually takes some time, and all shares that come in during that time are registered as 'stale'. Once all LP's are triggered however, it now becomes the responsibility of your mining software to act on it as soon as possible. Any old solutions that come in after we've notified *everyone* are classified as invalid. In addition there are some other types of submissions that are treated as invalid: shares for work older than 120 seconds, duplicates, and those with invalid timestamps are among those.

Factors contributing to high invalid rates are network latency and aggressively re-submitting miners such as cgminer, which will cause spurious duplicates. Therefore you shouldn't put too much emphasis on the invalid rate, and more on your valid+stale rate, reflected in your hashrate. You can have a 300MH/s rig and 50% invalids, but as long as the 50% valid+stale shares count up to a hashrate of 300MH/s, the invalid rate does not matter.

We actually had a bug way back in august that caused such a scenario, without impacting earning; for details: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33586.msg457441#msg457441.

It was another type of learning experience on the Bitcoin Road for me. The introduction to the "The ABC Invalid"
Sorry your experience with ABCPool was not all it could be; I honestly think more pools should be distinguishing between stale and invalid work, as it can model the division responsibility between miner and pool more accurately.

That being said, we think that there's some issues on our side that may sometimes negatively affect the invalid rate. Although it can never reach zero, we think it can be below 0.5% again. Please bear with us!

MintCondition (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 04:47:40 AM

Here is a link to proof why the pool should use poolserverj -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33142.msg602707#msg602707

I am now an official psj cheerleader.   Grin
Those are some impressive graphs, at first glance! However.. I notice they're from november 1, and you were mining on yourbtc.net. A quote from their main page:
Higher Stale Rates fixed
Submitted by urstroyer on Wed, 10/26/2011 - 16:50

The problem is hotfixed for now.

We are now accepting stale shares from NMC chain as a valid share until we have a more advanced solution.
So you won't have any disadvantage using cgminer now.
So it seems you've been a victim of faked stats.

This is an excellent example of masking invalid shares. From your screenshot it seems the pool has good rates. While in fact there's no net improvement at all: nothing has changed in the income of the pool and nothing has changed in the payouts of the pool. The rewards are just redistributed, now favoring those who would otherwise have more stales. Of course, this takes earnings away from people who are actually mining efficiently. But they conveniently forget to mention that fact..

There's an additional problem with masking stale shares: It becomes harder to tweak your rigs/setup because you don't get any useful feedback on stale shares anymore.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 »
  Print  

Jump to: