Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:38:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ALLMINE INC - FPGA Cryptominer  (Read 51491 times)
smoothyvo

Activity: 52
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 01:53:29 AM

I would be interested in 3.
jaylegrenier

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 02:32:39 AM

Count me in for 1 to Canada(if we have proof and hashrates)
senseless (OP)

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 02:46:40 AM

Update: Going to place sales / pre-orders on hold following meetings this week with Xilinx and Intel.

mrp1

Activity: 50

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 03:57:47 PM

What info did you receive (If you can share) that would cause this  ?   Are we talking minor or MAJOR issues ?  New time frames ?  Any relevant concerns that you can share ?  THANKS
justinjja

Activity: 44

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 04:14:56 PM

Sounds like he is just considering going with Intel instead of Xilinx?
Rafael Oliveira

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 04:50:03 PM

Hardware:
We intend to provide the crypto community with a low cost, low power and high performance alternative to GPU mining. We are looking to produce a board based on either the Xilinx Ultrascale+ or Intel Stratix 10 lines. Performance to power ratios for cryptocores we have developed have ranged from anywhere in the low 3x multiplier to as high as 100x GPU performance to power efficiency. We are cautiously optimistic that we will be able to deliver these devices at a cost / performance ratio greater than a GPU.

Software:
We will provide end users (customers) with software and bitstreams to allow them to operate their device in a 'plug and play' fashion similar to that of GPU mining. The bitstreams provided may or may not include a fee as it is up to the developer to set the fee. As time comes closer to launching orders / sales we will list some performance numbers that we have achieved for bitstreams that we intend to allow usage of with the device. I expect that the best performant cores and designs will come out of community designs from community RTL developers.

Allmine Crypto Shell:
Our FPGA devices will have our encryption keys burned into them and as a result we will be able to distribute secure encrypted bitstreams and software. The goal is to provide a development environment similar to that of the "aws-fpga" / Amazon F1 service. Community RTL developers would be able to access the software and compile time scripts / libraries necessary to securely compile their code into our shell environment. We will be able to distribute these community driven crypto cores and collect a developer set fee on behalf of the developer.

05/29/18 - We are going to delay pre-sales at this time. We have calls scheduled with both Intel and Xilinx for this week. News to follow.

Hi,

After reading all post in this topic, I understood that yours proposes derivate the idea of whitefire900 posted in the other topic.

I have some questions, I'm sorry if some seem a little obvious but I'm not a technician in that area:

1. How long will the equipment be guaranteed?
2. What is the deadline for delivery?
3. Where will these devices be specifically produced?
4. Is there any expectation of unit price with fees?
5. What is the minimum order to have a discount?
6. What will be the form of payment and the means that can be used?
7. Can they be shipped to Canada?
8. In the review of the initial post of this topic you wrote: "Our FPGA devices will have our encryption keys burned into them and as a result we will be able to distribute secure encrypted bitstreams and software."; In addition to enabling automatic operation with the software you have distributed via Allmine Crypto Shell, does this mean that devices can only use validated firmware within their de-development environment?
9 If you give up using this mining equipment to your encryption keys that are recorded on the devices have prevented other uses?

Thanks for your attention.
smartins

Activity: 18

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 05:07:32 PM

Hardware:
We intend to provide the crypto community with a low cost, low power and high performance alternative to GPU mining. We are looking to produce a board based on either the Xilinx Ultrascale+ or Intel Stratix 10 lines. Performance to power ratios for cryptocores we have developed have ranged from anywhere in the low 3x multiplier to as high as 100x GPU performance to power efficiency. We are cautiously optimistic that we will be able to deliver these devices at a cost / performance ratio greater than a GPU.

Software:
We will provide end users (customers) with software and bitstreams to allow them to operate their device in a 'plug and play' fashion similar to that of GPU mining. The bitstreams provided may or may not include a fee as it is up to the developer to set the fee. As time comes closer to launching orders / sales we will list some performance numbers that we have achieved for bitstreams that we intend to allow usage of with the device. I expect that the best performant cores and designs will come out of community designs from community RTL developers.

Allmine Crypto Shell:
Our FPGA devices will have our encryption keys burned into them and as a result we will be able to distribute secure encrypted bitstreams and software. The goal is to provide a development environment similar to that of the "aws-fpga" / Amazon F1 service. Community RTL developers would be able to access the software and compile time scripts / libraries necessary to securely compile their code into our shell environment. We will be able to distribute these community driven crypto cores and collect a developer set fee on behalf of the developer.

05/29/18 - We are going to delay pre-sales at this time. We have calls scheduled with both Intel and Xilinx for this week. News to follow.

Hi,

After reading all post in this topic, I understood that yours proposes derivate the idea of whitefire900 posted in the other topic.

I have some questions, I'm sorry if some seem a little obvious but I'm not a technician in that area:

8. In the review of the initial post of this topic you wrote: "Our FPGA devices will have our encryption keys burned into them and as a result we will be able to distribute secure encrypted bitstreams and software."; In addition to enabling automatic operation with the software you have distributed via Allmine Crypto Shell, does this mean that devices can only use validated firmware within their de-development environment?
9 If you give up using this mining equipment to your encryption keys that are recorded on the devices have prevented other uses?

Good questions. Side question, Rafael are you by any change Portuguese?
senseless (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 06:08:56 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2018, 06:27:22 PM by senseless

Hardware:

Software:

Allmine Crypto Shell:

Hi,

I had answers to these questions but a few things have changed. I'll answer the questions I feel comfortable answering at this point.

3 ) USA
4 ) Original price we were going to launch at is $3995. This will change over the next couple of weeks.
5 ) 1 unit minimum order
6 ) Crypto, Credit Card, Paypal (CC/Paypal only with manual review / authorization), and Bank wire
7 ) Yes -- first batch -- no problem
8 ) No, it means that the only encrypted bitstreams you can use that make use of the efuse key can be ours. Once our key is burned into the device it's permanent and irreversible. You can still use the devices for any unencrypted designs... Or designs that make use of other keys (BBRAM). We will be allowing any community developer who wishes to design secure code for use on these devices through our encrypted platform. They will be able to publish their bitstreams and the bitstreams will be available for anyone who's using our boards to download and operate via our software. I should be really clear here, we will be colllecting a dev fee on behalf of these devs who release code. The dev fee will be set by the dev. We will take a small portion of their set fee for maintenance / operation of the software and shell platform.
9 ) The only other use prevented is loading secure / encrypted bitstreams. This limitation applies anytime you burn the efuse. If you wanted to use some other secure / encrypted bitstream, that provider would require you to ship your device to them or buy a device from them that is loaded with their key in the efuse. After they do that, you would again be limited to only using encrypted bitstreams provided by them.

.. I'll also add, our margin on these will be fixed. We're not planning a "how much you got?" sales method like baikal, bitmine, and others who regularly shift their pricing according to profitability. My goal right now is to get the cost / performance ratio to be better than a gpu. I'm not saying that we'll be able to sell them for as low of a price as a GPU -- but that when you divide cost by hashrate you'll get a number that is better than that of a gpu. For example, if I purchased a GPU to mine lyra2z it would cost about $400 per Mh/s. If I purchased a FPGA to mine lyra2z it would cost about $115 per Mh/s. We would like to get all of our algo numbers to be far more cost effective on fpga than gpu. On top of this, we're expecting an even greater power to hashrate efficiency. A gpu may use 100-200 watts per 1Mh/s of lyra2z. The fpga would use 6 watts per 1Mh/s of lyra2z.

These devices could be used to provide some ASIC resistance against 'secret' asics. Once we start releasing efficiency numbers you'll start to get an idea that any ASIC developed at greater than 28nm will be at best be on par efficiency wise as the FPGA. There are numerous groups that are making 130-65nm asics in secret and mining on them. I would not be surprised to learn that a group has already redesigned their high level cryptonight asic and are preparing to tape out for CN7. We need to close the efficiency gap between high level ASICs and general purpose hardware that everyone is using for mining.

greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 08:21:09 PM

The work you're putting in is fantastic, and you deserve both your markup (and I appreciate how low it is) as well as your cut of the dev fee. I am game to give it a go. Depending on the final price I may be interested in as many as 8, but I'm definitely in for 1-2.
Bitside.co

Activity: 19

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 11:12:22 PM

following this, very interested
Longsnowsm

Activity: 868
Merit: 517

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 12:10:02 AM

Seems like a lot of good work happening here in this thread and lots of promise here.  Following...
s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2018, 12:41:39 AM

sigh

OP claims he has money printing machine. OP will sell it to you. Why sell a money printing machine when you can print money ?

~ LOL ~
senseless (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 01:18:10 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2018, 03:25:28 PM by senseless

sigh

OP claims he has money printing machine. OP will sell it to you. Why sell a money printing machine when you can print money ?

~ LOL ~

Ya, ya, ya, I'm well aware of the things I've said... (Assuming you're saying that with the LOL because I've said exactly that myself Smiley )

-- The greed inside...

Because the only way I can get my own money printing machines is to buy enough of them from Xilinx. I can't do that alone. Collective bargaining. Right now we are one cog in a multi-cog collective bargaining operation going on with Xilinx. All of these cogs are competitors. We have all been doing the same thing in secret for some time. But, we all also have the same problem, Xilinx is slow and difficult to deal with. None of these cogs (myself included) would be able to achieve a successful PO on their own. The number of chips we would receive for sales (in batch 1) is less than 1/2 (about 40%) the total amount. Our total order volume right now is approaching $50M USD. Future batches would mostly be made of community orders (80-90%). But there are a few large players driving this and I am not one Smiley -- I'm closer to the community gpu miners than I am these guys with their own private multi-MW hydro electric dams and $20M operations. So, ya, I could let them do their thing -- they'd pay higher pricing... But would EVENTUALLY take all the profit out of it for my small-ish volumes, they'd take the gpu profits, they'd cause numerous coin forks as a result of their secret hashrates (which could follow and sustain through a fork -- causing various issues in the community). The only way I can see to continue for myself and compete is to open things to the community.

The only way anyone else in the community will buy the money printing machines is if they can print money with it. This means I have to release firmwares and have a method for people from the community who develop better designs than our own to release theirs. This also benefits us as if their design is better than ours, even with the devfee, why wouldn't we want to run it? Our margin on these is ridiculously small almost too small.

I truely believe that the community engineers (people you've not even seen talk in either fpga thread yet) will release bitstreams that have better performance than anything myself or whitefire could release. It's in my interest to provide them a platform to do their magic and provide them with a method to benefit from that.

If you want to invest $30M-$50M in me (at a $200M valuation), let me know, I'll go back to doing it from the shadows! Smiley -- But as I said, I'm pretty sure staying in the shadows would end up decreasing profitability (due to issues, forks, community backlash, etc).

-- The egalitarian inside...

Right now, there are 130, 90, 65, 45, etc nm asics that no one knows about mining various cryptocurrencies. These asics were created by individuals in secret at low cost with efficiencies far beyond GPUs. They do limited runs to reduce their risk using MPW projects, etc. These people, if they wanted to, could effectively 51% attack these currencies and may have -- there has been an increase in the number of 51% attacks on various coins. There has been an increase in the number of double spends being attempted (successfully and unsuccessfully) on exchanges. We need general purpose devices with efficiencies greater than GPUs. Devices that have power / performance and cost / performance ratios closer to ASICs than to GPUs. Having these devices on the PoW networks would secure these networks against 130, 90, 65 etc nm asics. Even 45nm asics may only be slightly better performing than the FPGA devices. This pushes the cost of secret asics down to 28nm which is still millions in NRE and increases investor risk at the same time. A 28nm asic would have a higher mask failure rate than a 130nm asic. The lower you go the smaller the spacings and the greater probability an error will creep into the design.

I'd eventually like to boot every GPU off of every PoW network and to have all the PoW networks without a 28nm asic or better to be secured by a decentralized network of highly efficient FPGAs. The miners don't even need to replace their rigs. They can continue using their gpus for now and swap them (the gpu cards) out over time slowly selling them off on ebay so as not to overload the secondary markets. There's also a GPU co-processor solution that GPUHoarder may be releasing to market. It uses a very cheap and low power FPGA to do some co-processing work for the GPUs. This device can add a little life to your GPU clusters increasing their hashrates and reducing power consumption.

rezin385

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 05:44:07 PM

At this point should we still be trying to pickup a few vcu1525 from avnet for 4k each or waiting for the group but? If we buy from avnet then we will have to ship it to you to get the key burned in which would increase downtime.
senseless (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 05:55:17 PM

At this point should we still be trying to pickup a few vcu1525 from avnet for 4k each or waiting for the group but? If we buy from avnet then we will have to ship it to you to get the key burned in which would increase downtime.

I would suggest you wait till monday.

valthonis

Activity: 11

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 06:29:54 PM

Very interested in this. I'd be willing to do 8 to start off with. Would you be selling server cases for these as well? Custom mobos? Etc.?
sjorsbeans

Activity: 15
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 09:02:49 AM

Very interested in this. I'd be willing to do 8 to start off with. Would you be selling server cases for these as well? Custom mobos? Etc.?

Very interested
dude77

Activity: 48
Merit: 4

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 04:20:00 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2018, 06:04:30 PM by dude77

Interested

How many people do you have working on this?

If you're moving 1500 units you'll need a certain amount of security and physical infrastructure to handle all the orders. Do you have pictures of the facility you'll use to process everything without things getting stolen?

Do you have an actual address? (Not just a PO box)

What happens if you don't get enough actual orders during preorder?

How does the ROI using your FPGA compare to using an Amazon EC2 F1 instance?
vitalsigns

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 06:24:01 PM

I'm also interested in this.
GPUHoarder

Activity: 154
Merit: 37

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 11:02:09 PM

Interested

How many people do you have working on this?

If you're moving 1500 units you'll need a certain amount of security and physical infrastructure to handle all the orders. Do you have pictures of the facility you'll use to process everything without things getting stolen?

Do you have an actual address? (Not just a PO box)

What happens if you don't get enough actual orders during preorder?

How does the ROI using your FPGA compare to using an Amazon EC2 F1 instance?

Not to jump in, but I’m handling the physical side. This volume of goods is cheap in the big world tbh. Also kind of funny to imply physical security is a risk and then ask for the address of the warehouse holding the cards in a public forum.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  

Jump to: