Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:49:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636401 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 11:42:24 AM

Only 2% of the science community deny climate change. This 2% are the fools of the community and/or are sufficiently appease by big oil to continue their flakiness.
The present media, such as it is, give a bigger % of pages to the deniers than the 97% (or the can't-make-up-their-minds) 1%.

The '97% of scientist' thing is utter crap and anyone who has a passing familiarity with various issues, definitions, disputes, etc, and who has familiarized themselves with the 'studies' from whence these figures came knows it.

Now, a fair percentages of 'climate scientists' may be prone to extol something which could be sufficiently contorted to mean something vaguely close to what the politicians and media propagandists try to say it means, but that's very akin to saying that 97% of Christian preachers agree that Christ died for our sins.  Basically, if you don't believe that (or claim to) you are transitioning to a new profession.

All very true.  But pointing out the logical errors in the "Consensus" sound bite (or the "Con" sound bite, if you prefer) doesn't prevent the repetition of the lie.

Repeat it long enough, people will believe it.

Unfortunately, this is a perversion of science and the scientific method.  The implications of that are not good.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 12:39:05 PM

Only 2% of the science community deny climate change. This 2% are the fools of the community and/or are sufficiently appease by big oil to continue their flakiness.
The present media, such as it is, give a bigger % of pages to the deniers than the 97% (or the can't-make-up-their-minds) 1%.

Your position would have had more value if you've included a link or article, not just a feeling and numbers from this website:

https://www.random.org

You are always welcome here...

Smiley

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 08:27:43 PM

Your position would have had more value if you've included a link or article, not just a feeling and numbers from this website:

Smiley

But who could deny?

Who, I ask?

Who could DENY when the news about CLIMATE CHANGE is this?

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/06/16/claim-climate-change-more-women/

I so want to believe....

The faithful and pious are so devout in their following the Gorian Oracle...
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 08:31:28 PM

Do you really believe big oil could only afford 2% of scientists if that was their goal? Your argument doesn't even make sense based on your own premise.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 08:47:33 PM

The '97% of scientist' thing is utter crap and anyone who has a passing familiarity with various issues, definitions, disputes, etc, and who has familiarized themselves with the 'studies' from whence these figures came knows it.

and for those who haven't a passing familiarity with various issues, definitions, disputes, etc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTTaXqVEGkU

im not a huge fan of his but i like some of his stuff, this being one of the ones i liked.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 10:50:23 PM

and for those who haven't a passing familiarity with various issues, definitions, disputes, etc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTTaXqVEGkU

im not a huge fan of his but i like some of his stuff, this being one of the ones i liked.
A 33 minute Youtube video is enough to make me physically ill.

Sorry, no can do.

It's not very hard to debunk the 97% claim rapidly with online resources.  This doesn't even rise to the level of "lying with statistics."
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 10:54:08 PM

Sorry, no can do.

It's not very hard to debunk the 97% claim rapidly with online resources.  This doesn't even rise to the level of "lying with statistics."

Lol its not a commitment. I just start watching videos and turn them off as soon as I don't feel like watching any more. I watched about half of this one. All of the information that was delivered in that half was interesting.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 11:17:26 PM

Smiley

But who could deny?

Who, I ask?

Who could DENY when the news about CLIMATE CHANGE is this?

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/06/16/claim-climate-change-more-women/

I so want to believe....

The faithful and pious are so devout in their following the Gorian Oracle...

I really do not want to create a new thread fusing this one here and third wave feminist deniers so they can promote the birth for more female babies...

Maybe I should... Nah.

Cheesy

galdur

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 12:01:37 AM

Reality exposes “man made” global warming scam

JUNE 18, 2015

Within one hour, even strong swimmers can die from hypothermia in Lake Ontario’s cold waters, says the Hamilton (Ontario) Spectator. “In many cases, death could come far quicker.”The observations came in the wake of the disappearance of a man who fell overboard from a cruise boat south of the Humber River on Saturday.The man, Keith White, 34, was described by his family as “very healthy” and a certified lifeguard.Lake Ontario’s waters are an estimated 6C (42.8F), which is cold and dangerous, said Barb Byers of the Lifesaving Society in an interview.   

"This year and last year took much longer for the lake to warm up," Byers said.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5681689-lake-ontario-within-one-hour-even-strong-swimmers-can-die-from-hypothermia/

galdur

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 12:03:01 AM

Record snow in Norway – Five times as much as normal

JUNE 18, 2015

Large areas of Norway still covered in snow – in June !
There is an extreme amount of snow in the mountains, both in the north and south. Satellite measurements show that 23 percent of land area in southern Norway is still covered in snow,  nearly five times more than normal in June, says senior forecaster Eirik Malnes.. In Northern Norway, the corresponding figure is 35 percent, more than double a normal year.Daily satellite measurements from the research institute NORUT in Tromsø show that nearly a quarter of the land area in the south and one third in the north are still snowy. On average, snow covers 5 percent in the South and 10 in the north in mid-June.In Troms, 35 percent of the area is still white. That also is remarkable considering that in a normal year approximately 10-15 percent of land areas have snow cover at this time. This year there is more snow in June than in the record year of 2000, says Malnes.

http://www.nrk.no/troms/unike-satellittbilder-viser-ekstremt-mye-juni-sno-1.12416320

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 12:19:08 AM

Sorry, no can do.

Lol its not a commitment. I just start watching videos and turn them off as soon as I don't feel like watching any more. I watched about half of this one. All of the information that was delivered in that half was interesting.
Don't get me wrong on this because I am not doubting you.

It's just that except for certain things......my max attention span for youtube is about 3 minutes.

An exception...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiQN3pQ6EwM
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 11:12:47 AM

Do you really believe big oil could only afford 2% of scientists if that was their goal? Your argument doesn't even make sense based on your own premise.

Hehe yep more like they got the money to buy the 98% ^^
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 01:44:05 PM

Given that there has been decades of false and misleading attacks on "the fossil fuel industries" personally I think it's only right they defend their position.

Otherwise you've got massive amounts of lies and propaganda, coupled with some small or unknown percentage of truth, against silence by that industry.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 04:04:36 PM

Given that there has been decades of false and misleading attacks on "the fossil fuel industries" personally I think it's only right they defend their position.

Otherwise you've got massive amounts of lies and propaganda, coupled with some small or unknown percentage of truth, against silence by that industry.

they're just "bidding" on every side.
so people fight each other and forget about them.
classic strategymnastic. Tongue
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 03:24:41 AM

Humans will be extinct in 100 years says eminent scientist

Eminent Australian scientist Professor Frank Fenner, who helped to wipe out smallpox, predicts humans will probably be extinct within 100 years, because of overpopulation, environmental destruction and climate change.

Fenner, who is emeritus professor of microbiology at the Australian National University (ANU) in Canberra, said homo sapiens will not be able to survive the population explosion and “unbridled consumption,” and will become extinct, perhaps within a century, along with many other species. United Nations official figures from last year estimate the human population is 6.8 billion, and is predicted to pass seven billion next year.

Fenner told The Australian he tries not to express his pessimism because people are trying to do something, but keep putting it off. He said he believes the situation is irreversible, and it is too late because the effects we have had on Earth since industrialization (a period now known to scientists unofficially as the Anthropocene) rivals any effects of ice ages or comet impacts.

Fenner said that climate change is only at its beginning, but is likely to be the cause of our extinction. “We’ll undergo the same fate as the people on Easter Island,” he said. More people means fewer resources, and Fenner predicts “there will be a lot more wars over food.”

Easter Island is famous for its massive stone statues. Polynesian people settled there, in what was then a pristine tropical island, around the middle of the first millennium AD. The population grew slowly at first and then exploded. As the population grew the forests were wiped out and all the tree animals became extinct, both with devastating consequences. After about 1600 the civilization began to collapse, and had virtually disappeared by the mid-19th century. Evolutionary biologist Jared Diamond said the parallels between what happened on Easter Island and what is occurring today on the planet as a whole are “chillingly obvious.”

While many scientists are also pessimistic, others are more optimistic. Among the latter is a colleague of Professor Fenner, retired professor Stephen Boyden, who said he still hopes awareness of the problems will rise and the required revolutionary changes will be made to achieve ecological sustainability. “While there's a glimmer of hope, it's worth working to solve the problem. We have the scientific knowledge to do it but we don't have the political will,” Boyden said.

Fenner, 95, is the author or co-author of 22 books and 290 scientific papers and book chapters. His announcement in 1980 to the World Health Assembly that smallpox had been eradicated is still seen as one of the World Health Organisation’s greatest achievements. He has also been heavily involved in controlling Australia’s feral rabbit population with the myxomatosis virus.
Professor Fenner has had a lifetime interest in the environment, and from 1973 to 1979 was Director of the Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies at ANU. He is currently a visiting fellow at the John Curtin School of Medical Research at the university, and is a patron of Sustainable Population Australia. He has won numerous awards including the ANZAC Peace Prize, the WHO Medal, and the Albert Einstein World Award of Science. He was awarded an MBE for his work on control of malaria in New Guinea during the Second World War, in which Fenner served in the Royal Australian Army Medical Corps.

Professor Fenner will open the Healthy Climate, Planet and People symposium at the Australian Academy of Science next week.

http://phys.org/news/2010-06-humans-extinct-years-eminent-scientist.html

Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 04:23:59 AM

Eh. 

Yeah, there'll be some depopulation and tough stuff going on.  The Easter Island thing is actually pretty likely.

But one thing to remember.  The people of Easter Island?  Didn't quite go extinct.  Some of them survived, and their descendants are alive today.

So, sure, maybe 90% of everybody will die.  It doesn't mean things are hopeless.   Cheesy

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 05:07:13 AM

Eh.  

Yeah, there'll be some depopulation and tough stuff going on.  The Easter Island thing is actually pretty likely.

But one thing to remember.  The people of Easter Island?  Didn't quite go extinct.  Some of them survived, and their descendants are alive today.

So, sure, maybe 90% of everybody will die.  It doesn't mean things are hopeless.   Cheesy

One of the creepiest things about the greenies is their affinity for death worship.  Whatever floats your boat dude.  To be blunt about it your Jim Jones couldn't come to soon for my tastes.  Most of us would be perfectly happy if you crackpots left us alone.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
galdur

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 06:59:20 AM

Eh.  

Yeah, there'll be some depopulation and tough stuff going on.  The Easter Island thing is actually pretty likely.

But one thing to remember.  The people of Easter Island?  Didn't quite go extinct.  Some of them survived, and their descendants are alive today.

So, sure, maybe 90% of everybody will die.  It doesn't mean things are hopeless.   Cheesy

One of the creepiest things about the greenies is their affinity for death worship.  Whatever floats your boat dude.  To be blunt about it your Jim Jones couldn't come to soon for my tastes.  Most of us would be perfectly happy if you crackpots left us alone.

Well, I asked The Book of Knowledge why don't proponents of population control show a good example and kill themselves and didn´t get any direct answer it seems but came across some interesting stuff all the same

Obamacare Architect Says Society Would Be Better Off If People Died At 75

Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, brother of Rahm Emanuel, says that society would be far better off if people quit trying to live past age 75.  His new article entitled “Why I Hope To Die At 75” has the following very creepy subtitle: “An argument that society and families—and you - will be better off if nature takes its course swiftly and promptly”.  In the article, Emanuel forcefully argues that the quality of life for most people is significantly diminished past the age of 75 and that once we get to that age we should refuse any more medical care that will extend our lifespans.  This is quite chilling to read, considering the fact that this is coming from one of the key architects of Obamacare.  Of course he never uses the term “death panels” in his article, but that is obviously what Emanuel would want in a perfect world.  To Emanuel, it is inefficient to waste medical resources on those that do not have a high “quality of life”.  So he says that “75 is a pretty good age to aim to stop”.

Emanuel believes in this philosophy so much that he says that he would like to die at age 75.  Of course he has no intention of committing suicide, but if he happened to drop dead once he hits his 75th birthday he would be very happy about that.  The following is an excerpt from his new article… more

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-09-24/obamacare-architect-says-society-would-be-better-if-people-only-lived-age-75

Yes, this guy is a total nutjob.

But he also has the ear of the man occupying the White House. Cause and effect.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 05:02:25 PM

THE MALDIVES HAS JUST BUILT ITS ELEVENTH AIRPORT. THAT’S HOW SCARED IT IS OF GLOBAL WARMING…

Great news from the scuba-diving tropical paradise Maldives. They’ve just opened another airport.

This means that the Indian Ocean island nation now has four international airports and seven domestic ones. Quite a lot for a country with a population of less than 400,000. Presumably they have high hopes for their tourist industry as they develop luxury resorts on ever more remote atolls.

I wonder if these Maldives realise just how lucky they are. For, by weird coincidence, in pretty much the same geographic region is another island nation with exactly the same name.

And this other Maldives is in deep trouble. Indeed, it is daily on the brink of disaster because of the constant threat that its low-lying coral atolls could be swamped by the rising sea levels caused by man-made climate change.

We know this because all the experts have been telling us so.

Here is a report from an Independent journalist who bravely flew to this tropical disaster zone last year and, at the risk of being drowned any second, stayed long enough to conduct an interview with its climate activist former president Mohamed Nasheed. (Nasheed was once described by British Prime Minister David Cameron as “my new best friend”.)

And still the waters rise. Nasheed, who has two daughters, insists the Maldives can function and survive, but not without major change here and globally. He is now campaigning for “climate justice”, and the planning for a forced, mass migration to higher ground, a future he says the Government is not facing up to…

Here’s Damian Carrington, in the Guardian, who was also lucky enough to speak to David Cameron’s best friend.

Mohamed Nasheed, whose advocacy as president put the Maldives on the climate change map, is uncertain. Asked for the odds of his grandchildren inheriting an inhabitable Maldives, he says: “50-50.”

And here’s AOL Travel in a piece called “Maldives to disappear soon due to climate change.”

Here’s the World Bank: “Climate change presents a challenge for every island in the Maldives, which all lie on the sea level. Any changes in the climate will greatly affect the Maldivian way of life.”

Here’s the UN Foundation: “Climate change is a serious threat to low lying islands like Maldives whose landmass is close to sea level. The projected rise in sea level over the next century due to climate change is commonly agreed to be about one meter.  The highest point on this island nation is one meter.  Learn more about the existential threat of climate change on this island and learn more about how the country is pressing for global action on climate change.”

And let us never forget the tragically moving, yet cheery-in-the-face-of-disaster underwater cabinet meeting staged by the Maldives government in 2009 to draw international attention to the terrible and imminent threat these poor islands face.

Luckily I have thought up a brilliant solution to this problem. Maybe the lucky Maldives (the thriving tourist paradise) could help the unlucky Maldives (the one about to be drowned by global warming) with money and material aid. Perhaps it could use its vast tourist revenues to mitigate against any problems caused by this terrible “climate change” thing. Perhaps it could use its 11 airports to help evacuate the other Maldives’ climate refugees.

This is the kind of joined-up thinking that helps save the world. Do you think I should suggest to the Vatican as a possible subject for the Pope’s next encyclical?

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/06/19/the-maldives-has-just-built-its-eleventh-airport-thats-how-scared-it-is-of-global-warming/

galdur

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 08:11:33 PM

Scotland – June on track to be coldest in 43 years

JUNE 20, 2015

Scotland’s average temperature up until June 15 was 9.3C, two degrees below normal and the coldest June, July or August since June 1972, Met Office records show. Forecasters are predicting another 10 days of downpours from next week. But first, another cold front will bring cloud and scattered heavy showers tomorrow, followed by a wet Sunday with hail. Highs of 18C tomorrow will drop to 15C on Sunday.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/june-on-track-to-be-coldest-summer-for-40-years.129399539

Pages: « 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: