Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 01:23:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636405 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 10:20:59 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2014, 01:57:26 AM by Spendulus

Professor: ‘Terminate Industrial Civilization’ To Save Earth From Global Warming

Mankind is doomed unless we immediately de-industrialize and slash carbon dioxide emissions, according to Guy McPherson, emeritus professor from the University of Arizona.

McPherson appeared on Paul Henry’s New Zealand-based talk program to warn that global warming was “irreversible” and the only way to stop it is to “terminate industrial civilization.”

“I think there’s ample chance we can save the living planet, but not our species. …....

...he should terminate his personal part of the species, himself.  Think of the carbon wasted by people reading his crazyland talk!
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 12:21:58 PM

Professor: ‘Terminate Industrial Civilization’ To Save Earth From Global Warming

Mankind is doomed unless we immediately de-industrialize and slash carbon dioxide emissions, according to Guy McPherson, emeritus professor from the University of Arizona.

McPherson appeared on Paul Henry’s New Zealand-based talk program to warn that global warming was “irreversible” and the only way to stop it is to “terminate industrial civilization.”

“I think there’s ample chance we can save the living planet, but not our species. …....

...he should terminate his personal part of the species, himself.  Think of the carbon wasted by people reading his crazyland talk!
That's not me talking! Fix your quotes!
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 01:57:44 AM

That's not me talking! Fix your quotes!
done
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 04:35:11 AM

Solution To Saving Earth From Global Warming: Meditation To “Love Away The Carbon Dioxide”…

This meditation came to me a week ago in meditation. I often let my consciousness and breath follow my spine up and down. Recently I learned a figure 8 breathing visualization from Kate Sutherland which helps to ground oneself.

Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, eyes closed and your attention on your breath. Sitting or lying down works too, but standing is the easiest way to start.

Inhale slowly and bring your awareness to your heart.

Exhale slowly and imagine your breath is traveling the front of your body and entering to the center of the Earth.

Inhale slowly and imagine you are drawing up energy from the center of the Earth, up the back of your body, and into your heart.

Exhale slowly and imagine that your breath is going from your heart up the front of your body as high as it can go – to the stars, heaven, the sun – whatever works for you.

Inhale slowly and imagine you are drawing energy down from the sky, down the back of your body and into your heart.

Continue breathing the same shape. Next time you exhale, imagine your breath is travelling down to the earth, to the reserves of oil and coal and gas. Imagine a protective sheet of shimmering light around them so they stay in the ground. See all the wells and pumps disappear from the reserves.

Inhale slowly and imagine you are drawing energy up from the Earth, into your heart.

Exhale slowly and imagine your breath is going from your heart up towards the sky, to the atmosphere. Visualize that you can see the carbon dioxide molecules (one carbon, 2 oxygen) and you are touching them gently, loving them and letting them transform into oxygen and carbon.

Inhale back to your heart, bringing the carbon atoms with you.

Exhale and imagine you are bringing your breath and the carbon atoms down down to the center of the Earth. Return the carbon. Smoothly pet tight the mines, the drilling holes.

Inhale up to your heart. Exhale up to the atmosphere. Love away the carbon dioxide.

http://lovingtheearth.wordpress.com/2013/12/27/meditation-for-climate-change/

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 05:36:17 AM

Huffington Post: Halloween Causes Climate Change

Is there anything that doesn’t cause climate change these days? Your car, your clothes, your exhale, your mere existence is ruining the planet, according to the “Green” army. Well, add one more thing to the list – Halloween.

Yes, kids dressing up as their favorite Walking Dead character and begging for candy is killing the planet, you monster!

How, you ask? Simple: some candy uses palm oil, and the creation of palm oil is bad for the environment. At least according to the Huffington Post.

In a post under their “Generation Change” banner, Diana Donion, Director of Center for Food Safety’s Cool Foods Campaign, authors a piece entitled, “Trick or Treat? The Frightening Climate Costs of Halloween Candy.”

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/26/huffington-post-halloween-causes-climate-change/

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 02:19:25 AM

British Minister: Global Warming “Pause” Result Of Government Climate Change Regulations…

Government environmental measures may already have helped to slow down global warming, an energy minister has claimed.

Baroness Sandip Verma said the rate of warming might have decreased, which could support the effectiveness of green policies.

Her comments came as Viscount Ridley, a Conservative peer and critic of government efforts to stop temperature rises, questioned her on when warming would start again.

He told peers at question time in the House of Lords: ‘The fifth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel On Climate Change has confirmed in the same words that there has been a hiatus in global warming for at least the last 15 years.’

And he asked Lady Verma: ‘Would you give us the opinion of your scientific advisers as to when this hiatus is likely to end?’

Lady Verma told him: ‘You raise a couple of issues that we would dispute in a longer debate, but what we do recognise is that there a change in weather patterns happening across the globe, that climate change is occurring.

‘It may have slowed down, but that is a good thing. It could well be that some of the measures we are taking today is helping that to occur.’
For Labour, Baroness Bryony Worthington said the fifth report would be published on Friday.

In April, the IPCC said it is ’95 per cent’ certain that climate change is man made, but still could not explain why the world has barely got any hotter in the last 15 years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2809995/Government-measures-slowed-global-warming-Energy-minister-claims-policies-playing-role-curbing-rising-temperature.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah right...

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2014, 10:07:52 AM

Solution To Saving Earth From Global Warming: Meditation To “Love Away The Carbon Dioxide”…

This meditation came to me a week ago in meditation. I often let my consciousness and breath follow my spine up and down. Recently I learned a figure 8 breathing visualization from Kate Sutherland which helps to ground oneself.

Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, eyes closed and your attention on your breath. Sitting or lying down works too, but standing is the easiest way to start.

Inhale slowly and bring your awareness to your heart.

Exhale slowly and imagine your breath is traveling the front of your body and entering to the center of the Earth.

Inhale slowly and imagine you are drawing up energy from the center of the Earth, up the back of your body, and into your heart.

Exhale slowly and imagine that your breath is going from your heart up the front of your body as high as it can go – to the stars, heaven, the sun – whatever works for you.

Inhale slowly and imagine you are drawing energy down from the sky, down the back of your body and into your heart.

Continue breathing the same shape. Next time you exhale, imagine your breath is travelling down to the earth, to the reserves of oil and coal and gas. Imagine a protective sheet of shimmering light around them so they stay in the ground. See all the wells and pumps disappear from the reserves.

Inhale slowly and imagine you are drawing energy up from the Earth, into your heart.

Exhale slowly and imagine your breath is going from your heart up towards the sky, to the atmosphere. Visualize that you can see the carbon dioxide molecules (one carbon, 2 oxygen) and you are touching them gently, loving them and letting them transform into oxygen and carbon.

Inhale back to your heart, bringing the carbon atoms with you.

Exhale and imagine you are bringing your breath and the carbon atoms down down to the center of the Earth. Return the carbon. Smoothly pet tight the mines, the drilling holes.

Inhale up to your heart. Exhale up to the atmosphere. Love away the carbon dioxide.

http://lovingtheearth.wordpress.com/2013/12/27/meditation-for-climate-change/

Inhaling to my heart would require some serious experimental surgery.
Usually I use my lungs for that, and leave my heart for blood.

Maybe they skipped this step in the howto?

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Fabrizio89

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 02:49:52 PM

Indeed it doesn't look good for a community when in a scientific discussion one of the parts is being censored. I acknowledge many were posting pointless, non peer reviews pieces of informations, but it's true that it was becoming quite boring to always see the same discussions over and over again in every thread.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 04:01:38 PM

Indeed it doesn't look good for a community when in a scientific discussion one of the parts is being censored. I acknowledge many were posting pointless, non peer reviews pieces of informations, but it's true that it was becoming quite boring to always see the same discussions over and over again in every thread.

Sure, but the "boring, repetitive" part comes from a dogmatic, religious approach to the dialectic.  I will grant that a scientific approach can also be boring sometimes terribly so.  

But religious thinking of environmentalists, masquerading as a scientific discussion, can easily and quickly be uncovered with a few questions of the right sort.   And that's if it's not immediately obvious by emotion laden arguments.

"Billions will die!"
"The sea will rise 80 meters!"
"Urgent action is needed Now!"
"The Koch brothers..."
"Exxon...."

At this time, the Reddit threads on climate science are not climate science.  They are propanganda in large part, often with Far Left funding and or motivations.

For actual unbiased discussions on climate science go here.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 04:23:48 PM

Climate Scientists Suffering From “Pre-Traumatic Stress Disorder” Because No One Takes Their Predictions Seriously…

Two years ago, Camille Parmesan, a professor at Plymouth University and the University of Texas at Austin, became so “professionally depressed” that she questioned abandoning her research in climate change entirely.

Parmesan has a pretty serious stake in the field. In 2007, she shared a Nobel Peace Prize with Al Gore for her work as a lead author of the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). In 2009, The Atlantic named her one of 27 “Brave Thinkers” for her work on the impacts of climate change on species around the globe. Barack Obama and Mark Zuckerberg were also on the list. [...]

“In the U.S., [climate change] isn’t well-supported by the funding system, and when I give public talks in the U.S., I have to devote the first half of the talk to [the topic] that climate change is really happening,” says Parmesan, now a professor at Plymouth University in England.

Parmesan certainly isn’t the first to experience some sort of climate-change blues. From depression to substance abuse to suicide and post-traumatic stress disorder, growing bodies of research in the relatively new field of psychology of global warming suggest that climate change will take a pretty heavy toll on the human psyche as storms become more destructive and droughts more prolonged. For your everyday environmentalist, the emotional stress suffered by a rapidly changing Earth can result in some pretty substantial anxieties. [...]

“I don’t know of a single scientist that’s not having an emotional reaction to what is being lost,” Parmesan is quoted saying in the National Wildlife Federation’s 2012 report, “The Psychological Effects of Global Warming on the United States: And Why the U.S. Mental Health Care System is Not Adequately Prepared.” “It’s gotten to be so depressing that I’m not sure I’m going to go back to this particular site again,” she says, referring to an ocean reef she has studied since 2002, “because I just know I’m going to see more and more of it dead, and bleached, and covered with brown algae.”

Lise Van Susteren, a forensic psychiatrist based in Washington, D.C. — and co-author of the National Wildlife Federation’s report — calls this emotional reaction “pre-traumatic stress disorder,” a term she coined to describe the mental anguish that results from preparing for the worst, before it actually happens.

http://grist.org/climate-energy/climate-depression-is-for-real-just-ask-a-scientist/

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 08:10:22 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2014, 09:25:13 PM by Spendulus

Climate Scientists Suffering From “Pre-Traumatic Stress Disorder” Because No One Takes Their Predictions Seriously…

Lise Van Susteren, a forensic psychiatrist based in Washington, D.C. — and co-author of the National Wildlife Federation’s report — calls this emotional reaction “pre-traumatic stress disorder,” a term she coined to describe the mental anguish that results from preparing for the worst, before it actually happens.

http://grist.org/climate-energy/climate-depression-is-for-real-just-ask-a-scientist/

This problem of pre-traumatic stress disorder is not new, it has been around a time.

CL - TSIF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBxCY9HfGZ0
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 01:04:23 AM

Global warming could make your pollen allergies a lot worse

It’s notoriously difficult to make people care about climate change. It’s a big, slow moving, long term problem that can rarely compete with everyday concerns — and it certainly doesn’t help matters that most people have a difficult time distinguishing between climate change and their everyday weather.

But according to a new study, global warming is something that a large minority of us should care about a great deal indeed — because a large minority of us have allergies. In particular, 20 percent of people are allergic to pollen from various types of grasses. And the new paper, just out in PLOS One, suggests for the first time that in a warmer world with higher atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations, those particular kinds of allergies could get a heck of a lot worse.

Grass pollen allergies are a serious health issue. “Peaks in atmospheric grass pollen have been directly correlated to ambulance calls by patients under respiratory stress and ER visits for asthma and wheeze,” notes the new study, conducted by researchers at Harvard and the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/11/05/global-warming-could-make-your-pollen-allergies-a-lot-worse/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 11:59:04 PM

Global warming could make your pollen allergies a lot worse

It’s notoriously difficult to make people care about climate change. ....

So the global warming that hasn't happened in 20 years has some effects that haven't happened?
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4606
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 06:24:07 AM

OK, I finally got off my ass and started studying this thing.  I've always been of the opinion that human activity is certainly impacting CO2 ratios and probably is making some contribution to global tempertures, but in scientific and engineering terms this is not a very meaningful thing.  Magnitudes are everything.  I've also long been of the opinion that the environmentalist side is leveraging things to achieve semi-non-related objectives (just as I have that there are special interests on the other side as well.)  But until I study things I won't know how much.

One of the early stops in my likely protracted journey, 'climategate'.  Much has been written about it, but this just happens to be on an open tab right now.

Ummm...ya...in science this is a Nuremberg level crime.  Any serious scientist would have to completely throw out anything related to the IPCC, relegate it as an organization to the trash can, and ignore the work of almost everyone who has ever had anything to do with it.

'climate scientist' should become a clown-ass label along with any of the many other pseudo-sciences.  When I hear the term 'consensus' among 'scientists' I'll henceforward have to try hard not to vomit.

It's indicative of a very sad state of the world that the mainstream was able to paper this thing over.  I know that most people don't like science much, but if there was ever an egregious instance of scientific fraud that no one should be able to ignore this would be it.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 03:53:19 PM

OK, I finally got off my ass and started studying this thing.  I've always been of the opinion that human activity is certainly impacting CO2 ratios and probably is making some contribution to global tempertures, but in scientific and engineering terms this is not a very meaningful thing.  Magnitudes are everything.  I've also long been of the opinion that the environmentalist side is leveraging things to achieve semi-non-related objectives (just as I have that there are special interests on the other side as well.)  But until I study things I won't know how much.

Not many people actually study it, and few of those succeed in understanding.  The deck is stacked, and not just for political reasons.  It's basically difficult for the human mind to take a random walk data pattern, separate the underlying trends, and then not fall prey to thinking he can essentially use linear projection to predict the future.    I think at that level it's a similar problem to predicting the stock market.  It is fundamentally chaotic behavior.

Don't forget basic meteorology, 101 style college level.  99% of the people talking like they know climate don't even know weather.

LOL...
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 04:12:31 PM

Not many people actually study it, and few of those succeed in understanding.  The deck is stacked, and not just for political reasons.  It's basically difficult for the human mind to take a random walk data pattern, separate the underlying trends, and then not fall prey to thinking he can essentially use linear projection to predict the future.    I think at that level it's a similar problem to predicting the stock market.  It is fundamentally chaotic behavior.

Don't forget basic meteorology, 101 style college level.  99% of the people talking like they know climate don't even know weather.

LOL...

Even before weather (which both sides seem to use unfairly sometimes) there is a simple framing of the actual problem.  Does water vapor act as a positive or negative feedback.

The fact that pretty much all of the models are proving quite wrong so far on the 'panic now' side indicates to me that the fraud on the 'warmist' side is significant.

Before I got to studying things I heard that 'oh, the heat is going into the ocean, but it will come bubbling back up so don't worry, it's still appropriate to panic.'

More recently I heard that 'well, it's a small aerosol issue that we neglected, but the catastrophe will pop right back to where the models predict once that little glitch burns off.'

I sense that the same forces promoting the C(atastrophe) part of CAGW are the behind the 'fear population growth' and all the rest of the 'sustainability' scammery.  And the scammary around that whole movement is intense.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2014, 05:20:34 PM

Amazing. This thread is actually breaking media conditioning lol.
Cryptowatch.com

Activity: 196
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2014, 05:40:37 PM

Here's a thought..

If we picture the earth as a huge living creature, would it's immune system not try to cure itself? For instance, a human, when becoming sick, body temperature will raise, and the immune system will do its best to fight any disease.

So is it unthinkable that earth is a self regulative system that will try to fix itself? From what we can see from natural disasters, man cannot combat these at all, the power of nature is beyond and above everything.

If the "immune system" of earth really fired up, and there was extreme weather and extreme natural disasters all over the planet, lots of humans would die, and if enough humans dies, there would not be that much of a need for all the things we produce, and not as many polluters.

Or perhaps a more likely scenario is that we skew everything, and just slowly die off, as we no longer can sustain ourselves.
Cryptowatch.com

Activity: 196
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2014, 05:42:10 PM

I sense that the same forces promoting the C(atastrophe) part of CAGW are the behind the 'fear population growth' and all the rest of the 'sustainability' scammery.  And the scammary around that whole movement is intense.

Who are the climate terrorists? Can we launch a nuke?
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 07:40:52 PM

Who are the climate terrorists? Can we launch a nuke?

Funny you should mention nukes.  Actually, if one researches it a bit, it seems that the movement got it's start back in the day with a handful of independent (of one another), smart, and active philosophical folks being paranoid about global thermonuclear war (as were many people back in the day.)  The theory goes that if there is only one government such a catastrophe become nearly impossible.

What happened since these (now forgotten) philosophical folks got the ball rolling is that many people have seen the implementation as a great way to achieve all manners of objectives.  At  the higher levels it is mostly about 'inventory and control'.  Through accident and design (mostly the latter) the implementation has also been a way for a great number of people to line their pockets.  That is the engine that keeps the train moving and it works right down to the lowly DEQ bitch and her fellow local watershed council engineering firm owner scammers who tried to fuck me.

That's my thesis so far in my analysis of things.  One can see what the trigger for finally getting around to trying to understanding this topic.

Pages: « 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: