Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:36:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5355 5356 5357 5358 5359 5360 5361 5362 5363 5364 5365 5366 5367 5368 5369 5370 5371 5372 5373 5374 5375 5376 5377 5378 5379 5380 5381 5382 5383 5384 5385 5386 5387 5388 5389 5390 5391 5392 5393 5394 5395 5396 5397 5398 5399 5400 5401 5402 5403 5404 [5405] 5406 5407 5408 5409 5410 5411 5412 5413 5414 5415 5416 5417 5418 5419 5420 5421 5422 5423 5424 5425 5426 5427 5428 5429 5430 5431 5432 5433 5434 5435 5436 5437 5438 5439 5440 5441 5442 5443 5444 5445 5446 5447 5448 5449 5450 5451 5452 5453 5454 5455 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722504 times)
flailing Junk

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 07:07:10 AM

Just join a P2P Pool node or start your own node.

P2Pool does not appear to be a solution to the mining pool centralization problem. Almost no one uses it. Maybe if mining pools prove untrustworthy it will be used after that. Still I think my question deserves an answer. If the answer is yes I think it would be quite important.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Solarminer

Activity: 826
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 07:18:24 AM

Just join a P2P Pool node or start your own node.

P2Pool does not appear to be a solution to the mining pool centralization problem. Almost no one uses it. Maybe if mining pools prove untrustworthy it will be used after that. Still I think my question deserves an answer. If the answer is yes I think it would be quite important.
Long term this shouldn't be an issue.  Pools that actually make a profit will have higher fees than P2P Nodes.  Pools with 0 fees now are not sustainable.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 08:43:57 AM

So if these masternode quorums are assumed to be safe and miners don't have any power on what is included in the blockchain, why not eliminate the X11 DASH mining completely?

As far as I understand miners only choose the quorums. They have no other purpose. Miners are only used as a kind of "independent oracle".

That task can be done using some other external oracle, you don't need to mine a separate blockchain for that.
Maybe use the bitcoin block hashes for this? Hash rate is bigger, so this is very safe.

I don't think DASH needs PoW if masternode quorums are as safe as you guys tell us they are.
Let the Masternodes write the blockchain and double the payments for masternode rewards (90%) and dev (10%) fund! Smiley

I normally wouldn't talk to you, but since you were quoted and this could be a valid question, though I suspect you know the answer, I'll answer.

The POW hash is what is used to select the Masternode Quorums.  The miners also "write" the block onto the chain.  It's really simple, complementary and still needed.

Why can't masternodes write the transactions in some kind of blockchain database?
After all, InstantX is safe, no?

The oracle used for selecting the quorums can be anything... Bitcoin block hashes, DASH block hashes or even some university publishing real-time timestamps of radioactive decay.

If there is a DoS attack or some other outage the transactions default back to normal miner confirmations so the attackers won't even bother trying.

Depending on a 3rd party outside DASH itself like you're suggesting seems very bad for a trustless decentralized currency.
Sub-Ether

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Quantum entangled and jump drive assisted messages

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 08:52:57 AM

Hi! Where can I download cpu miner (win) for DASH? Help, please!
Try Elmad's miner first, happy to answer questions at the end if can, what cpu do you have?
https://dashtalk.org/threads/sub-ethers-guide-to-cpu-mining.6170/

Dash is 27.3 times faster with syncing and updating than Bitcoin and 93.7 times faster than Monero. Bitcoin (v0.11.0) has a Tao ratio 11.2% faster than bitcoin (v0.10.0) release.
Dash (v.0.12.0.49) = Tao sync ratio = 0.15 seconds / hour of update || Dash (v.0.11.2.23) = Tao sync ratio = 0.24 seconds / hour of update. V12 versus V11 speedup = +36.5%
Bitcoin (v.0.11.0) = Tao sync ratio = 4.14 seconds / hour of update || Monero (v.0.41.1)  = Tao sync ratio = 14.2 seconds / hour of update
alex-ru
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 09:26:05 AM

So if these masternode quorums are assumed to be safe and miners don't have any power on what is included in the blockchain, why not eliminate the X11 DASH mining completely?

As far as I understand miners only choose the quorums. They have no other purpose. Miners are only used as a kind of "independent oracle".

That task can be done using some other external oracle, you don't need to mine a separate blockchain for that.
Maybe use the bitcoin block hashes for this? Hash rate is bigger, so this is very safe.

I don't think DASH needs PoW if masternode quorums are as safe as you guys tell us they are.
Let the Masternodes write the blockchain and double the payments for masternode rewards (90%) and dev (10%) fund! Smiley

Double safety is always better than just a safety...

But if Dash can protect blockchain(-s) Wink   without miners and spend "miner's money" more effectively for more useful tasks - why not...

Let's see what Dash's Evolution is about, soon.

Lukas_Jackson

Activity: 615
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 09:27:04 AM

Pretty much the same except his opinion is listened to by many, many more people than yours (or mine).

Yes, and he didn't say anything negative about Dash. He also said "Dash is pretty innovative" but you didn't hear that, did you?

It is easier to be an aggressive victim than to be a free man.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 09:38:44 AM

Pretty much the same except his opinion is listened to by many, many more people than yours (or mine).

Yes, and he didn't say anything negative about Dash. He also said "Dash is pretty innovative" but you didn't hear that, did you?

What did he say right after saying that Dash is trying to be innovative?

dashwhale

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 09:56:38 AM

Dashwhale android app update: full proposal information and comments

The dashwhale android app has been updated. It now shows full DASH budget proposal information as well as budget comments, in addition to displaying comprehensive masternode monitoring information.

Please check out the screenshots (maybe somebody can post the screenshots on my behalf; image posts are still locked for my account):

https://www.dashwhale.org/downloads/dw_screenshot12.png
https://www.dashwhale.org/downloads/dw_screenshot14.png

You can download the app here!

If you are interested to include DASH proposal information within your own website or app, please check out our public DASH proposal API: https://www.dashwhale.org/dbin
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 10:10:17 AM

I normally wouldn't talk to you, but since you were quoted and this could be a valid question, though I suspect you know the answer, I'll answer.

The POW hash is what is used to select the Masternode Quorums.  The miners also "write" the block onto the chain.  It's really simple, complementary and still needed.

Why can't masternodes write the transactions in some kind of blockchain database?

The oracle used for selecting the quorums can be anything... Bitcoin block hashes, DASH block hashes or even some university publishing real-time timestamps of radioactive decay.

If there is a DoS attack or some other outage the transactions default back to normal miner confirmations so the attackers won't even bother trying.

Depending on a 3rd party outside DASH itself like you're suggesting seems very bad for a trustless decentralized currency.

So the settlement eventually happens by the miners, through PoW in the blockchain?

So InstantX can't be trusted?
illodin

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 11:29:31 AM

So the settlement eventually happens by the miners, through PoW in the blockchain?

No, that's not what I said. If the InstantX is not working because of a DoS attack or something, then the receiver does not get the InstantX confirmations within seconds so there is no InstantX transaction to be trusted in the first place, and instead the first confirmation comes when the next block is mined.
BrainShutdown
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 11:32:26 AM

illodin

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 11:39:38 AM

If a miner mines a block and includes a conflicting transaction, or the big miner causes a reorg and removes that IX transaction, then yeah, you'd be fucked.

Invalid blocks are rejected by the network.

An invalid block can be for example a block which has a transaction that conflicts with an already locked InstantX transaction.

https://www.dashpay.io/instantx/
illodin

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 11:44:44 AM

If a miner mines a block and includes a conflicting transaction, or the big miner causes a reorg and removes that IX transaction, then yeah, you'd be fucked.

An invalid block can be for example a block which has a transaction that conflicts with an already locked InstantX transaction.

And the reorg scenario?

I'm not sure but blocks are still validated even when reorg happens and if they contain conflicting transactions to locked ones they will be rejected?

Perhaps some expert will chime in.
Bitock

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 11:46:07 AM

Hi! Where can I download cpu miner (win) for DASH? Help, please!
Try Elmad's miner first, happy to answer questions at the end if can, what cpu do you have?
https://dashtalk.org/threads/sub-ethers-guide-to-cpu-mining.6170/
i7-5820K
illodin

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 11:58:04 AM

And the reorg scenario?

I'm not sure but blocks are still validated even when reorg happens and if they contain conflicting transactions to locked ones they will be rejected?

I don't think the IX lock would exist forever - this would mean there's a lock for every IX TX ever...

If the IX lock exists longer than it takes for standard confirmations to be considered safe (6 or so?) it's still safer than basic block confirmations, right?
BrainShutdown
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 12:54:17 PM

And the reorg scenario?

I don't think the IX lock would exist forever - this would mean there's a lock for every IX TX ever...

If the IX lock exists longer than it takes for standard confirmations to be considered safe (6 or so?) it's still safer than basic block confirmations, right?

https://dashtalk.org/threads/instantx-questions.5751

Enjoy  Cool

noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 01:48:09 PM

can we actually send donation to p2pool, then those donation added as bonus to all miner connected to p2pool ?

if there is a way to do this then we can at least try to centralized the miner to p2pool (which is decentralized pool btw)

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 02:01:11 PM

You do understand that, in case InstantX is actually safe, it doesn't really matter which oracle you use for quorum selection?
If anything, the bitcoin block hashes are more safe to use, due to less centralization of mining power and a bigger hashrate compared to DASH.
illodin

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 02:16:32 PM

You do understand that, in case InstantX is actually safe, it doesn't really matter which oracle you use for quorum selection?
If anything, the bitcoin block hashes are more safe to use, due to less centralization of mining power and a bigger hashrate compared to DASH.

I'd be all for getting rid of electricity consuming miners if there were no drawbacks, but I think a coin should stand on its own and not depend on a 3rd party. And what if DASH overtakes Bitcoin (yea yea not gonna happen but just like someone taking over all masternodes isn't gonna happen so just in case) the mining would have to be restarted as the smaller coin couldn't provide the security anymore, and the consensus for the change would be hard to achieve as the miners would need some reward for their services.

And something can be said about distributing coins by mining, I assume masternode owners tend to hold instead of autodumping what they generate.

Also, the miners act as a "backup" in case someone decides to DoS the InstantX process so people can still transact, but without IX.
eduffield (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 02:30:01 PM

We already use something like the blockchain to store InstantX transactions and where the users promised the funds to go. This "blockchain" is managed by quorum messages; you can't add to it as a user. If any new blocks or txes conflict, they are rejected by the entire network.

That is what this datastructure is for:
https://github.com/dashpay/dash/blob/master/src/instantx.cpp#L23

You can't cause a reorg, because you can't get the block in question approved by the network in the first place. Miners blocks have to qualify to get accepted by the network, it's not as simple as the Bitcoin system.

Even if you could do a reorg, IX only goes up to $2000 worth of coin, a reorg would cost more than that in processing power to pull off. You can't simply sent the conflicting transaction to a miner, they have the list of IX transactions and already will side with the masternode network.

https://github.com/dashpay/dash/blob/master/src/main.cpp#L2973

Given that you can't get a block approved with a conflicting transaction, it can be trusted 100% of the time. These attacks are more theoretical, where the double spend attack that we're stopping is trivial to pull off. On Bitcoin anyone can double spend against you by submitting two conflicting transactions to separate edges of the network, there is no question our network is safer to do business on because of this.

For more information read 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5:
https://www.dashpay.io/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/InstantTX.pdf

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
Pages: « 1 ... 5355 5356 5357 5358 5359 5360 5361 5362 5363 5364 5365 5366 5367 5368 5369 5370 5371 5372 5373 5374 5375 5376 5377 5378 5379 5380 5381 5382 5383 5384 5385 5386 5387 5388 5389 5390 5391 5392 5393 5394 5395 5396 5397 5398 5399 5400 5401 5402 5403 5404 [5405] 5406 5407 5408 5409 5410 5411 5412 5413 5414 5415 5416 5417 5418 5419 5420 5421 5422 5423 5424 5425 5426 5427 5428 5429 5430 5431 5432 5433 5434 5435 5436 5437 5438 5439 5440 5441 5442 5443 5444 5445 5446 5447 5448 5449 5450 5451 5452 5453 5454 5455 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: