Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:15:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 [639] 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722505 times)
Kienbui

Activity: 478
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:45:24 AM

My wallet is stuck at block 46834

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TanteStefana

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:52:25 AM

Ok, so we don't spin our wheels, I'm going to start what I hope will be a brainstorm of letter "D" coin names so we can actually use what we've gotten in logo designs already:

Best ones I could come up with:

DataCoin - hey that would make sense if we sent small messages with payments?

Debitcoin - very "banking industry" sounding?

or Duffcoin Smiley

How 'bout:

Demicoin (small, lightweight?)

Distrocoin (distribution?)

Dittocoin (just think it sounds cool, LOL)

Dogecoin ... oh wait, that's taken.... well, it's better than Doomcoin, LOL

Oooooh, DragonCoin! or Drakecoin!  Don't wake the sleeping dragon in us (warning to heavy handed governments!)

Day-o-coin ('cause I'm a Harry Belafonte fan?

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
The Future of Work. Decentralized.
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:58:04 AM

Honestly i'm thinking of stepping back from my current role after the logo comp is finished. It's a pretty thankless task, lots of work, lots of criticism, and you don't get paid. And I've gotta say, my dislike of marketing hasn't changed. Tongue (I'll refrain from reposting my favourite Bill Hicks rant on the matter).

Oh LimLims, you've seriously done a fantastic job!  I'm sure we're all grateful.  Unfortunately, it's like we're spinning our wheels.  Too many chefs in the kitchen, tbh.  I think you have a good feeling for what we need.  Maybe you all can discuss it amongst yourselves and come up with a good solution, no need to put it to a vote.

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
LimLims

Activity: 1204
Merit: 272

1xbit.com

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 05:59:49 AM

2) The first 24 hours became a larger problem when the # of coins decreased from 84million to 22million, In retrospect this was probably a mistake... but we can't take that back now without killing the price and shaking investor confidence. The airdrop idea sounds super shady, even if it isn't.

Major changes like this should not be taken lightly.  Investors want specs that are written in stone. Major changes should ONLY happen if it's crucial for the success of the coin.  Neither of these issues meet that requirement and therefore I think should be left as-is.

You raise valid points. I suppose it may not be clear to everyone, but the imbalance in the first 48 hrs of mining rewards is an issue that recurs daily, and is preventing some significant amount investment. To me, the salient questions are whether this is significant enough to take action, and if so, what action to take.

One possibility other than the airdrop could be to increase mining rewards for, say, the next 24 months, to bring down the relative % of coins mined in the first 48 hrs compared to coins in circulation.

This illustrates the imbalance -- it's no small thing:

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████████████████
████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄██
███████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀█████
████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████
██████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀█████████████████
████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
WELCOME BONUS UP TO 7 BTC!
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
BET NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
slyA

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:04:40 AM

So first we changed from Xcoin to DRK coin and now another name? Christ.
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:11:56 AM

A sister coin would wipe out Darkcoin, especially if we did it. So it's not a good idea.

Other options are:

1.) Renaming the coin. It keeps coming up over and over, maybe we should really consider it. Everyone start coming up with names and I'll make a voting page to gauge if our user base even wants this.
2.) The first 24 hours of the coins existence keep causing us problems, an "airdrop" could be a solution to this. We could airdrop all holders (uniquely verified) with a equal portion of coin. This coin would come from a block in the future that paid 2.4million+ coins to a specific address that I hold. We could use some kind of verification system like mastercoin (http://mastercoin-faucet.com/github-intro)
The airdrop would be a month or so into the future, so it would give users time to buy coins and become holders creating some demand. Also, we'd have a much larger market cap and the argument about the first 24 hours would become invalid.

As always, we listen to the community. If enough people complain, we'll do something...

1) The name is fine - "the general public" is never going to use darkcoin, it will be used by people who care about ANONYMITY - The general public will just stick with bitcoin, because it is "anonymous enough" for 95% of folks, and has tons of other advantages (wide retail acceptance etc)
2) The first 24 hours became a larger problem when the # of coins decreased from 84million to 22million, In retrospect this was probably a mistake... but we can't take that back now without killing the price and shaking investor confidence. The airdrop idea sounds super shady, even if it isn't.

Major changes like this should not be taken lightly.  Investors want specs that are written in stone. Major changes should ONLY happen if it's crucial for the success of the coin.  Neither of these issues meet that requirement and therefore I think should be left as-is.

Hear hear!  It's bad enough we're bickering about the name since the coin began, but this is getting crazy.  We love you Evan, but you can't fix everything.  Some things just happened.  And they probably happened for the best. 

Our price is indeed depressed because there are constantly big sales of 1000-5000 darks and that's probably the big holders that got so many coins in the beginning.  But this is seriously a good thing!  This low price is allowing the coin to be distributed really well, to anyone who has heard of us until now or in the near future.  Eventually, the sell off will stop, and with the great distribution, we'll have an excellent chance at being a useful coin, which will then drive the price up.  It's actually been going super well!

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:13:02 AM

I'm incredibly uneasy holding this coin given the last 10 pages or so of this thread. The whole idea of changing the name and airdrop idea is absurd. You want to instill confidence in the people that invest it in, so build from what is already there. The game-changer has, and always will be, darksend. Focus on that and build from here.
raze182

Activity: 163

A légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal.

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:15:16 AM

Ok, so we don't spin our wheels, I'm going to start what I hope will be a brainstorm of letter "D" coin names so we can actually use what we've gotten in logo designs already:

Best ones I could come up with:

DataCoin - hey that would make sense if we sent small messages with payments?

Debitcoin - very "banking industry" sounding?

or Duffcoin Smiley

How 'bout:

Demicoin (small, lightweight?)

Distrocoin (distribution?)

Dittocoin (just think it sounds cool, LOL)

Dogecoin ... oh wait, that's taken.... well, it's better than Doomcoin, LOL

Oooooh, DragonCoin! or Drakecoin!  Don't wake the sleeping dragon in us (warning to heavy handed governments!)

Day-o-coin ('cause I'm a Harry Belafonte fan?

Dinero.  Grin

Xtrdw361DvoyDhxL5XoeAvTxTPvM4dXuLW
th00ber

Activity: 789
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:19:54 AM

My wallet don't sync, and I'm in 0.9.1.
Where can I find the 0.9.2 wallet ? All the official links are on a 0.9.1  Sad
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:26:31 AM

I'm incredibly uneasy holding this coin given the last 10 pages or so of this thread. The whole idea of changing the name and airdrop idea is absurd. You want to instill confidence in the people that invest it in, so build from what is already there. The game-changer has, and always will be, darksend. Focus on that and build from here.

Hey. But we got ya out of hiding  Wink  Cheesy  Hello there!

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
eizh

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:27:17 AM

If the coin delivers technologically, neither the name nor the first 24 hours will be an issue. A name change can be still be seriously considered. An airdrop, though, would be devastating. Questions/issues to consider:

1) There have been some altcoins that have done a free perfectly even giveaway as the mode of distribution rather than mining (in the name of fairness). None have amounted to anything. What happens is that a bunch of people sign up who have no actual interest in the coin because it's "free". They'll dump at first chance. It won't net much BTC since everyone else is doing it too, but hey, it was free in the first place so they lost nothing and got a few satoshis. False identities exacerbate this but it holds even if only unique holders get the free coins.

2) A lot of cryptos have incredibly skewed distributions and it hasn't harmed them. BTC was mined for 1+ year by just a few people simply because few knew about the concept itself. It's hard to say where those coins are. LTC has 6+ million out of 25 million held in just 2 wallets of unknown origin. We don't know what happened to the coins mined in DRK's first 24 hours but chances are that most are in lost wallets or dumped in exchanges when the price was low since there's no sign of problems yet. To be honest, this coin looked like a complete mess in the first few dozen pages of this thread. Had I been there, I myself would probably have deleted/dumped and moved on to something else. This is my personal reason for not worrying about his issue. Those coins probably got tossed around and distributed or lost forever, contributing to scarcity. Win.

3) A rapid sudden supply shock will kill price and scarcity, which is very unfair to those of us who got most of our DRK from the fiat -> BTC -> buy DRK route. Money in the bank gone for simply nothing. That too is a fairness issue just as much as the initial distribution, if not more so. A few people getting lucky unintentionally isn't as bad as many people getting screwed over intentionally. I bought a lot of DRK with my own money and right now I'm genuinely afraid due to this airdrop talk (see point 2). I'll be honest: out of self-interest, I'll rush to an exchange and liquidate immediately if an airdrop plan is confirmed. It's the rational choice, even for a believer who intends to buy back. But if everyone thinks that way, goodbye DRK.

tl;dr Fix the name if enough people complain but messing with the supply especially in a rapid manner is extremely dangerous. An airdrop with USD would be considered economically-illiterate "Occupy Wall Street"-type nonsense in the real world and it's no different for cryptos. Free markets are all about incentives and self-interest.

Make DarkSend work and the users will come. I remember you yourself said at some point that you wanted a second-place coin (to BTC). DRK simply isn't meant to be a mainstream coin so things like distribution and branding are a distant second to technology.
mannie

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:27:52 AM

Agreed. A lot of people will dump what's given to them for free, compared with miners who are more likely to hold to make a profit on their elec expenses. An airdrop to holders could just cause further price reduction and confusion among new investors.
sdersdf2

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:34:09 AM

Relative noob here - to the long-time holders, what's your best guess on when this coin is actually headed up? It's been quite painful watching so many other coins experience significant surges over the past two months while DRK has been largely stagnant.

Yes, it's also been more stable than a lot of other coins, but could someone give a guesstimate on when DRK send comes out of beta and the price is likely to start reflecting the potential of this coin?
jiosefjd

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:35:43 AM

This airdrop idea needs to be killed immediately. This would be such a bad move for the reasons given above.

A name change is also unnecessary, so long as an appropriate logo is selected.
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:39:50 AM

My wallet don't sync, and I'm in 0.9.1.
Where can I find the 0.9.2 wallet ? All the official links are on a 0.9.1  Sad

The number didn't change, you should be able to download what's on the first page and get one that works.  If you're using the darksend beta wallet, it doesn't work anymore, but a new one will come soon, I'm sure, if we haven't killed the coin today, LOL

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
eizh

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:40:27 AM

High volume of dumping on Cryptsy just now. I'll bet all my DRK that it was the mere mention of the word airdrop. Jesus, I can't believe this has even come up.
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:42:28 AM

High volume of dumping on Cryptsy just now. I'll bet all my DRK that it was the mere mention of the word airdrop. Jesus, I can't believe this has even come up.

That's exactly it. That's also the reason I went into the safe and pulled my paperwallets and have them sent to the exchanges. The second this is greenlighted for a go on the airdrop, I am dumping 5 figures worth. I'm really hoping Evan comes to his senses about this.
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:44:32 AM

I agree with increasing the reward for the next 24 months to reduce the relative value of the instant mined coins.
eizh

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:47:37 AM

That's exactly it. That's also the reason I went into the safe and pulled my paperwallets and have them sent to the exchanges. The second this is greenlighted for a go on the airdrop, I am dumping 5 figures worth. I'm really hoping Evan comes to his senses about this.

Lol, investor confidence used to be an abstract phrase to me. But right now I can feel my own seeping out. Evan needs to comment ASAP.
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:51:07 AM

Relative noob here - to the long-time holders, what's your best guess on when this coin is actually headed up? It's been quite painful watching so many other coins experience significant surges over the past two months while DRK has been largely stagnant.

Yes, it's also been more stable than a lot of other coins, but could someone give a guesstimate on when DRK send comes out of beta and the price is likely to start reflecting the potential of this coin?

when the original miners finish selling off what they mined and don't want.  IMO it might take another 6 months.  If that is the case, it will buy us even more time after DarkSend is ready because no other coin could compete with the original yet inexpensive DarkCoin.

Seriously, whoever mined the original coins has either been dumping them or holding them.  I know some of the people on this thread that are huge helps, like Evan himself, CHAOSiTEC and others must have gotten a good amount, and they care about this coin deeply.  They've given a TON of coins away, I think CHAOSiTEC said over 18,000 coins himself, so you can see there that many  of those original coins were distributed.  Then there are those selling large chunks since day 1 of being on an exchange.  It won't last forever.  Eventually, the coins will be distributed, the "dumpers" will either run out, or decide to hold the rest.  Those of us with patience, will eventually be rewarded with a good increase in price, IMO. And hopefully, acceptance as a payment source by many businesses by then.

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
Pages: « 1 ... 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 [639] 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: