Bitcoin Forum
September 17, 2024, 04:18:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 [1853] 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9723263 times)
g0re79

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

I´ve got a picture! Haha!

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 02:16:21 AM

So whats this hard fork for can someone explain this. Is it just to pay the supernodes off or is their more to it in detail. Any information for what this hard fore is for please thanks.

I would like to know more about it as well!

Me too, I have quite a picture of that, but still bit confused (off course its not only about supernodes payout)

Don´t deal with crappy shitcoins and stop wasting electricity
Support real science instead
[/url]
anonymousxx1503

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:23:38 AM

So whats this hard fork for can someone explain this. Is it just to pay the supernodes off or is their more to it in detail. Any information for what this hard fore is for please thanks.

Me too, I have quite a picture of that, but still bit confused (off course its not only about supernodes payout)

First of all, they're Masternodes. You need exactly 1000 DRK to run a Masternode, right now there are around 280 out there. The Masternodes decentralize the anonimity of Darkcoin and serve an additional function to stabilize and help the Darkcoin rise in price. They pay out 20% of the block reward to Masternode owners (this is a completely new concept never done before by ANY other coin). The Masternodes are randomly elected for payout and earn on average (right now) approx 1.7-2 DRK/day. The removal of coins from circulation increases rarity of the coin, encourages people to buy DRK to earn revenue and thus helps it appreciate in value. Additionally I believe that Evan has more features planned for Masternodes since they enable first of its kind "Proof of Service". The possibilities are amazing.

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5424980#msg5424980
g0re79

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 02:33:58 AM

First of all, they're Masternodes. You need exactly 1000 DRK to run a Masternode, right now there are around 280 out there. The Masternodes decentralize the anonimity of Darkcoin and serve an additional function to stabilize and help the Darkcoin rise in price. They pay out 20% of the block reward to Masternode owners (this is a completely new concept never done before by ANY other coin). The Masternodes are randomly elected for payout and earn on average (right now) approx 1.7-2 DRK/day. The removal of coins from circulation increases rarity of the coin, encourages people to buy DRK to earn revenue and thus helps it appreciate in value. Additionally I believe that Evan has more features planned for Masternodes since they enable first of its kind "Proof of Service". The possibilities are amazing.

Oh, sorry for that "supernode", its 4:30 AM here Embarrassed All this I know, but what else is this hard fork for? I thought that it will fix fork issue some way..

[/url]
Minotaur26
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:34:32 AM

This hard fork implements a voting system that selects the right masternode to pay for the mixing service in each block in a way that is tamper proof, so there is no trust involved. This is the first proof of service system where neither the miners nor the pool operators have any influence over the payment taking place and no one can cheat. In the future it will be possible to use this feature to pay for other services like hosting the blockchain to serve light wallets. This promotes for investors to hold to provide a service to the network and earn a return and is way better than proof of stake because the holders are actually providing valuable services instead of doing nothing. I think this feature is as important as anonymity and separates DRK from any other coin anonymous or not.

Read the details here directly from the developer Evan Duffield:

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/development-update-6-6-2014-masternode-payments.1126/

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/darkcoin-update-masternode-requirements-masternode-payments.225/

EDIT: the forking issue we had last time was precisely trying to implement this so basically yeah this one corrects all previous issues and adds the ability to run a masternode with a cold wallet which makes running a masternode 100% safe.
wmr1988

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:41:12 AM

I don't think the original  'purpose' of masternodes was to increase DRK's value, it is a side effect.
JGCMiner

Activity: 611

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:46:49 AM

EDIT: the forking issue we had last time was precisely trying to implement this so basically yeah this one corrects all previous issues and adds the ability to run a masternode with a cold wallet which makes running a masternode 100% safe.

+1

I think this is the answer to the questions asked.
anonymousxx1503

Activity: 532

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:46:57 AM

I don't think the original  'purpose' of masternodes was to increase DRK's value, it is a side effect.

Evan actually thought of most aspects it seems. He has a lot of experience programming in the financial domain and I remember in another post him explain both the anonimity, the proof of service and the financial aspect of it. It's a really cool concept.

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5424980#msg5424980
naxin

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:55:28 AM

Evan actually thought of most aspects it seems. He has a lot of experience programming in the financial domain and I remember in another post him explain both the anonimity, the proof of service and the financial aspect of it. It's a really cool concept.
The idea was to create a cyclical equilibrium where price stability can be maintained by incentives to hold, which then supports anonymity because as more nodes are acquired the price will significantly rise as coins are pulled out of circulation, thus making a masternode attack cost-prohibitively expensive (where a masternode attack would be gaining enough masternodes to be able to de anonymize a significant portion of transactions)
newb4now

Activity: 686

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:07:29 AM

hello there is a a backdoor in the version 10.8.8 i have been stolen 999 dark coin from my master node
here is my wallet address http://chainz.cryptoid.info/drk/address.dws?XfNfxwfQpVKccGprG6PdRWT2UtMGoM9gCL.htm

it has been moved to this wallet XwKx3mWB9ncJo5ZudqyEZ1MoQWMSmE3CwP

it seems either the devs or someone who gave the version given on darkcoin.io got a backdoor

here is the log of my masternode server
 st login : from 192.162.103.175

Can you give a little more info, did you have the wallet encrypted? How was your darkcoin.conf setup?

the wallet was encrypted by  a hard password
the wallet was started as use and not root
i have changed the ssh port from 22 to another
installed fail2ban
did all security thing and still got hacked
the starge thing is that it has been sent only 999 and not all of the darks which is 1000.6
the walet that received the dark is XwKx3mWB9ncJo5ZudqyEZ1MoQWMSmE3CwP
is there anything to do to block that wallet adress? before he move it somewhere else and sell ?

I am excited for tomorrow. That being said, PLEASE be careful and secure all of your DRK if you will running a masternode. At these prices 1000 DRK is worth a lot of money! If you are unsure if you are doing things correctly I advise you to wait until you are SURE everything is perfectly secure.

Be safe!

How is this even an issue anymore with cold storage masternodes?

Its an issue because a lot of people have been having a hard time setting up the cold storage masternode... the wallet still needs to be connected to the masternode during setup and can be in danger if not secured properly.

In theory you are correct that the new system will be MUCH safer. However many people do not have the technical expertise to implement it properly...
LimLims

Activity: 1204
Merit: 272

1xbit.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 03:14:15 AM

Its an issue because a lot of people have been having a hard time setting up the cold storage masternode... the wallet still needs to be connected to the masternode during setup and can be in danger if not secured properly.

In theory you are correct that the new system will be MUCH safer. However many people do not have the technical expertise to implement it properly...

If they don't have the technical expertise even to follow the cold wallet masternode setup instructions, they shouldn't be running a masternode.

If you didn't know how to lock your safe, would you store cash in it?

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████████████████
████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄██
███████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀█████
████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████
██████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀█████████████████
████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
WELCOME BONUS UP TO 7 BTC!
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
BET NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
Propulsion

Activity: 658

The Buck Stops Here.

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:18:13 AM

If they don't have the technical expertise even to follow the cold wallet masternode setup instructions, they shouldn't be running a masternode.

Wow. Long time no posts LimLims! It's almost impossible to lose your coins using a cold wallet and remote server method.
naxin

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:18:34 AM

Unfortunately as we have seen, people don't like that advice and refuse to listen to it. At least one person has lost 1000 DRK as a result. My guess is at least 5 more MNs are compromised within the next month.
naxin

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:20:18 AM

Unfortunately as we have seen, people don't like that advice and refuse to listen to it. At least one person has lost 1000 DRK as a result. My guess is at least 5 more MNs are compromised within the next month.

Wow. Long time no posts LimLims! It's almost impossible to lose your coins using a cold wallet and remote server method.
As said, if they do it correctly. But in practice that won't be the case, especially because the screw up wouldn't be visible to an unexperienced user following a guide. Their concern is that the MN is visible, which it would be. The security hole they left is invisible, to them.
newb4now

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:22:53 AM

This is exactly my concern. There are a lot of posts in this thread with yearly masternode income estimates (depending on the number of masternodes). Those projections will make a lot of people greedy/careless including those who have no business setting up a masternode in the first place. More than once in this thread do people mention using windows instead of linux for example (for MN wallet setup) despite being warned about it being less secure
LimLims

Activity: 1204
Merit: 272

1xbit.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 03:25:22 AM

As said, if they do it correctly. But in practice that won't be the case, especially because the screw up wouldn't be visible to an unexperienced user following a guide. Their concern is that the MN is visible, which it would be. The security hole they left is invisible, to them.

Ok -- so your concern is about MN integrity, I thought you were worried about newbies losing their coins from unsecured MNs.

It's a valid point, but I don't see an obvious solution other than making resources available for best practices, and designing darksend such that some % of compromised MNs doesn't compromise the anonymity of the transaction.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████

████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████████████████
████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄██
███████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀█████
████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████
██████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀█████████████████
████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
WELCOME BONUS UP TO 7 BTC!
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
BET NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
Minotaur26
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:28:47 AM

This is exactly my concern. There are a lot of posts in this thread with yearly masternode income estimates (depending on the number of masternodes). Those projections will make a lot of people greedy/careless including those who have no business setting up a masternode in the first place. More than once in this thread do people mention using windows instead of linux for example (for MN wallet setup) despite being warned about it being less secure

Dude what are you guys talking about, with the cold masternodes there is 0 risk of loosing your coins. The masternode is either running with 0 coins in the machine that has the IP public or is not. There is not a more or less option you either have a cold masternode running or you dont have a masternode running at all if what you are attempting is to run it cold.  You cant end up running a hot wallet masternode by attempting to set up a cold one the process is completely different. The system is 100% safe now.
g0re79

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 03:31:54 AM

Agree, but if its only about 2.5% of all masternodes its not so big deal. I am afraid it´ll be more. I am quite skilled, but still afraid (and not so greedy) to try to run MN

[/url]
Sleepyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:33:09 AM

Greedy to run a masternode? lol just stop guys, its lame.

Trade crypto? Check out Quatloo Trader - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=711966.0
g0re79

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 03:36:55 AM

I mean that its not so hard to do some math how profitable is running MN. And there are lot of greedy and stupid ppl in cryptoscene.

[/url]
newb4now

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:43:23 AM

I mean that its not so hard to do some math how profitable is running MN. And there are lot of greedy and stupid ppl in cryptoscene.

Exactly. Masternodes are not meant to be a get rich quick scheme. They can be very profitable over the long term. Right now we have enough for DarkSend to work properly.

There is no rush for people who are not experts in linux, ubuntu, network security, etc to rush to have one set up on day 1 of MN payments.

Eventually I plan on setting up multiple masternodes myself. However I plan to wait until the step by step process has been tested by more people (without the expertise I mention above) to make sure it is completely dummy proof.

I am not naive enough to think there are 0 risks for someone like me to run a masternode. I am sure there are others in my situation who would be well advised to take their time as well (instead of rushing MN setup now just because the total MN count is lower and payments will be higher now than in the future).

Pages: « 1 ... 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 [1853] 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: