Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 02:31:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 [424] 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 ... 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814498 times)
RJF

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 08:11:32 PM

I'm very interested in seeing how this plays out. In my opinion it won't be any more successful than Canada's mint chip.

A blockchain on top of an already bloated system is simply more bloat and more inefficiency. A lean blockchain is adaptable and can be designed to fit into today's world, not try to make today's world fit into ancient banking methods.

And continuing on the topic of new vs. traditional, here is an excellent article by Bruce Schneier, a security guru I have been following for many years. While it doesn't specifically mention Bitcoin or other crypto currencies, it captures the essence of the long running battle between new and established systems that will eventually decide the future of crypto currency:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/12/using_law_again.html

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 11:50:46 PM

I'm very interested in seeing how this plays out. In my opinion it won't be any more successful than Canada's mint chip.

A blockchain on top of an already bloated system is simply more bloat and more inefficiency. A lean blockchain is adaptable and can be designed to fit into today's world, not try to make today's world fit into ancient banking methods.

And continuing on the topic of new vs. traditional, here is an excellent article by Bruce Schneier, a security guru I have been following for many years. While it doesn't specifically mention Bitcoin or other crypto currencies, it captures the essence of the long running battle between new and established systems that will eventually decide the future of crypto currency:

I tend to agree, I can see some advantages with systems that work as a gateway for fiat but to a limited degree and with some disadvantages as well. The true advantage will be a supplemental globally accepted digital currency free from control of any one entity or group. It will be interesting to watch though, I'm sure we can learn a lot from it.

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 12:48:23 AM

I found this on CNBC:

Only one global currency trounced the dollar this year

Bitcoin's back: Big year for controversial digital currency

Bitcoin is up over 40 percent this year. The U.S. Dollar Index: a gain of 9 percent.

The U.S. dollar has had a nice run. It's been the talk of global currency trading all year long.

And why not? After years of a weak greenback due to dovish Federal Reserve policy, the Dollar Index has extended big 2014 gains, up near-9 percent against a basket of major world currencies this year. Some individual currency trades, like USD/Brazil Real, have netted currency investors huge returns.

But to find what's arguably been the best global currency in 2015, an investor might need to put quote marks around the term "global currency."

more: http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/28/only-one-global-currency-trounced-the-dollar-this-year.html

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 02:08:58 AM

Quote from: CryptoBroker79 on December 19, 2015, 01:33:08 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm happy to announce Fire Fighters for Digital Currency NFL Playoff Challenge.

The winner of this Playoff Fantasy Draft will be awarded 10,000 DNotes and 0.1 Bitcoin!

Be sure to register before January 3rd/2016

Register at http://playoffchallenge.fantasy.nfl.com/

Then Join the Group: FF4DC  http://playoffchallenge.fantasy.nfl.com/group/241421

Cryptomoms probably isn't the ideal place for trash talking your teams rival, so feel free to drop in and let a few insults fly at http://ff4dc.com/forum/index.php?topic=767.0

Quote from: Shepherd on December 19, 2015, 02:09:16 AM

Excellent, I hope a lot of people will participate.

Quote from: CryptoBroker79 on December 27, 2015, 11:55:34 PM

Thanks Shepherd, we have 22 registered participants so far and I expect that number to climb significantly.

Quote From Shepherd Today:

That is excellent. I hope many more will be participating.

I also noticed that CryptoMoms gained over 100 new members today and we now have over 15,000 registered members.

There will be one chapter in the book about "The DNotes Story" to tie in all the different projects we have been working on, into a strategically cohesive package. Things will begin to make more and more sense in the coming year. I understand that it always takes time to catch on with big bold idea. We dream and live it every day. So it easier for us to believe and understand our vision and why it takes a rather complex ecosystem to accomplish our long term mission of making DNotes the trusted global digital currency for everyone to participate.

I'm eagerly anticipating the release of your book, so I can learn more about what it takes to build a successful business.

On another note, we now have 38 registered users, placing us in the top 10 groups in terms of size! Here is the bitcointalk thread link for FF4DC's NFL Playoff Challenge https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1306123.0

Excellent. The book will be truly helpful to many small business owners and anyone interested to start their own business one day. There will be one chapter about The DNotes Story that will illustrate how a lot of the business principles are put to work. I am thinking of including a short quote or comment from some of our key community members.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 02:16:27 AM

I found this on CNBC:

Only one global currency trounced the dollar this year

Bitcoin's back: Big year for controversial digital currency

Bitcoin is up over 40 percent this year. The U.S. Dollar Index: a gain of 9 percent.

The U.S. dollar has had a nice run. It's been the talk of global currency trading all year long.

And why not? After years of a weak greenback due to dovish Federal Reserve policy, the Dollar Index has extended big 2014 gains, up near-9 percent against a basket of major world currencies this year. Some individual currency trades, like USD/Brazil Real, have netted currency investors huge returns.

But to find what's arguably been the best global currency in 2015, an investor might need to put quote marks around the term "global currency."

more: http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/28/only-one-global-currency-trounced-the-dollar-this-year.html

Good to note that Bitcoin is gaining back some respect. I believe that Bitcoin will continue to outperform USD, which basically has been trying to recover a lot of lost ground.
byter.sky

Activity: 428
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 02:22:58 AM

price is so low  Huh
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 02:29:11 AM

I agree, RJF. The battle of the new and established systems will continue for sometime yet. And it will be fought in multiple fronts - technology, security, and regulatory. There is a lot of noise and confusion out there. We have established a clear strategic path and will continue to make progress. We are in control of what we can control. Everything else will eventually takes care of itself.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 03:23:38 AM

I can not conceive any scenario how infighting could be good for any organization. Differences of opinion, or disagreement, respectfully presented, is healthy and should not be discouraged.

Bitcoin has long celebrated its leaderless organization. In 2015, this lack of leadership led to a lack of direction in the Bitcoin community

The lack of leadership is a serious problem in our industry and not just limited to Bitcoin. Without a leader or someone with sufficiently invested self interest to help guide the organization towards the best outcome, it typically leads to a confused, unproductive, and chaotic state, making it easier for competing or opposing parties to exploit and take down. So the infighting may be good for the bankers, but bad for Bitcoin and our industry.

Infighting Is Good For Bitcoin

A degree of infighting has shocked the Bitcoin community as individuals with different ideas clash over the direction in which the Bitcoin protocol should evolve (or be evolved). With the disappearance of Satoshi Nakamoto, Bitcoin has long celebrated its leaderless organization. In 2015, this lack of leadership led to a lack of direction in the Bitcoin community concerning its core protocol.

There are some hard limits to Bitcoin’s growth which were coded into the cryptocurrency in its incipience. Discussion about how to program Bitcoin in the now has led to divisiveness, contempt, frustration and cynicism among people who follow the technology closely.

In Bitcoin, there are a lot of opinions that are held to be self-evident truths, such as Bitcoin is “going to the moon” or will “change the world” completely. Both of these are untested hypotheses. Yet, like an echo chamber, many Bitcoiners parrot these beliefs. Thanks to recent disagreements, some doubt has been cast over the future of the nascent technology.

In recent months, thanks to the blockchain debate, there has been a division within the Bitcoin community as people disagree completely over what to do with the core protocol, which can be updated currently by developers to keep up with the growth seen in the Bitcoin industry, including interest in the blockchain. At the Bitcoin subreddit, r/Bitcoin, administrator-user Theymos has been accused of censoring tweets. The issue went full nuclear when Brian Armstrong tweeted that he had been censored.

The Streisand Effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information to a wider audience. This is exactly what any attempts to censor information in the Bitcoin community has done. As evidence, there are now numerous new websites trying to become the main gathering hub for the Bitcoin protocol.
This division, disagreement and consternation among the Bitcoin brass is actually beneficial to the community. New ideas and opinions are injected into a community that is very much “preaching to the choir” on any given day.

When an argument ensues – especially about something as fundamental as Bitcoin’s programming parameters – it causes casual users to start Googling information about the problem, thus learning about things like BIP101 and Bitcoin’s limits, and eventually adding their own two cents (bits?) into the debate.

Nassim Nicholas Taleb Is known for developing a modern theory of antifragility. In his book, he writes:  “Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Yet, in spite of the ubiquity of the phenomenon, there is no word for the exact opposite of fragile. Let us call it antifragile. Antifragility is beyond resilience or robustness. The resilient resists shocks and stays the same; the antifragile gets better”

Bitcoin, and decentralized networks like it, will likely benefit from the lesson learned in the current blockchain debate, as Taleb suggests some networks do.

Source:

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/infighting-is-good-for-bitcoin/
RJF

Activity: 616

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2015, 03:45:11 AM

price is so low  Huh

Great time to buy... So... Stock up!

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
CryptoBroker79

Activity: 493

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 04:08:31 AM

Quote from: CryptoBroker79 on December 19, 2015, 01:33:08 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm happy to announce Fire Fighters for Digital Currency NFL Playoff Challenge.

The winner of this Playoff Fantasy Draft will be awarded 10,000 DNotes and 0.1 Bitcoin!

Be sure to register before January 3rd/2016

Register at http://playoffchallenge.fantasy.nfl.com/

Then Join the Group: FF4DC  http://playoffchallenge.fantasy.nfl.com/group/241421

Cryptomoms probably isn't the ideal place for trash talking your teams rival, so feel free to drop in and let a few insults fly at http://ff4dc.com/forum/index.php?topic=767.0

Quote from: Shepherd on December 19, 2015, 02:09:16 AM

Excellent, I hope a lot of people will participate.

Quote from: CryptoBroker79 on December 27, 2015, 11:55:34 PM

Thanks Shepherd, we have 22 registered participants so far and I expect that number to climb significantly.

Quote From Shepherd Today:

That is excellent. I hope many more will be participating.

I also noticed that CryptoMoms gained over 100 new members today and we now have over 15,000 registered members.

There will be one chapter in the book about "The DNotes Story" to tie in all the different projects we have been working on, into a strategically cohesive package. Things will begin to make more and more sense in the coming year. I understand that it always takes time to catch on with big bold idea. We dream and live it every day. So it easier for us to believe and understand our vision and why it takes a rather complex ecosystem to accomplish our long term mission of making DNotes the trusted global digital currency for everyone to participate.

I'm eagerly anticipating the release of your book, so I can learn more about what it takes to build a successful business.

On another note, we now have 38 registered users, placing us in the top 10 groups in terms of size! Here is the bitcointalk thread link for FF4DC's NFL Playoff Challenge https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1306123.0

Excellent. The book will be truly helpful to many small business owners and anyone interested to start their own business one day. There will be one chapter about The DNotes Story that will illustrate how a lot of the business principles are put to work. I am thinking of including a short quote or comment from some of our key community members.

That sounds like a great idea.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 01:08:27 PM

Quote from: indiamikezulu on Today at 10:16:09 AM

‘Automated grand theft on an unprecedented scale . . . ‘

http://www.globalresearch.ca/financial-meltdown-and-the-confiscation-of-bank-savings-the-uk-eu-bank-depositor-bail-in-scheme/5475934

Remember when a ‘war on cash’ was looney talk?

But actually . . .

Remember the Cyprus bail-in? the very first of its kind?

Could such bail-ins become the norm (in the event of further economic chaos)?

Nah, that’s looney talk!

Now, I readily admit that the details on this are voluminous and unclear -- and too often coming from the tin-foil-hat press; but some sort of major move to making bail-ins Standard

Operating Procedure is well underway:

some articles claim that it won’t put common folk at risk; but:

“It is not clear how they will make it possible to bail-in bonds while excluding deposits, but as we have seen in other problematic situations, where there is a will there will be a way,” Burrows said. “We call Dijsselbloem’s solution a bail-up: part bail-out, part bail-in and part [Really Big Mistake].”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-17/greek-senior-bank-bonds-plunge-on-dijsselbloem-bail-in-comments-idfou25p

And:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11871992/Battered-Greek-banks-to-flout-Brussels-new-bail-in-rules.html

And:

http://www.reuters.com/article/cyprus-bank-depositors-idUSL6N0G232Y20130806

Please, guys, if you come across articles on this, post them here.

Quote From Dyna Today:

Pretty scary stuff, Mark. I could take all day and try to analyze them, but probably should move on with just a brief  general comment. The global banking system and the world economy is experiencing increasing stress, with few exceptions. Could there be another global financial crisis, equal to or worse than the last one in 2008, within the next 24 months? Let's put it this way, if I were to be on a debate team, I would not want to be on the side to argue against the likelihood of such an event happening.

Nobody can know for sure. There will be many mini crises; how they are being managed will make of world of difference. Like a huge machine that is no longer operating in top conditions. We know that some parts are about to break, yet no one want to fix them.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2015, 03:49:21 PM

http://dcebrief.com/bitpesa-continues-to-expand-bitcoin-in-africa-against-all-odds/

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2015, 06:22:33 PM

By the way, if anyone has a topic they would like covered on DCEBrief. I'm gathering up a few now to send out to the writers. This is an open invitation if you think of anything in the future as well, feel free to post it here or send me an email.

Bergman

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 08:46:52 PM

By the way, if anyone has a topic they would like covered on DCEBrief. I'm gathering up a few now to send out to the writers. This is an open invitation if you think of anything in the future as well, feel free to post it here or send me an email.

I would like to see a DNotes year in review type of article. Recap what has happened this and what's next.
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 09:19:54 PM

I would like to see a DNotes year in review type of article. Recap what has happened this and what's next.

+1

Would also be good to recap a few other prominent (or promising) altcoins--ones I would recommend are NEU, DMD, PIGGY, XEM. XPY would also make for a very interesting article because that coin has made a major recovery from its origins as basically a scam coin to cover up a mining hardware scam. XPY is now a legit coin with a lot of challenges up ahead, but with a very good dev team which has gone above and beyond the call of duty and done something few in the cryptospace have done. Disclosure: I own strong positions in all these altcoins (including DNotes Smiley )
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2015, 10:38:22 PM

+1

Would also be good to recap a few other prominent (or promising) altcoins--ones I would recommend are NEU, DMD, PIGGY, XEM. XPY would also make for a very interesting article because that coin has made a major recovery from its origins as basically a scam coin to cover up a mining hardware scam. XPY is now a legit coin with a lot of challenges up ahead, but with a very good dev team which has gone above and beyond the call of duty and done something few in the cryptospace have done. Disclosure: I own strong positions in all these altcoins (including DNotes Smiley )

Great ideas all! An altcoin one might be tough because of the volume of information and we don't want to be too biased. I'll have to give that some thought.

wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 10:56:44 PM

+1

Great ideas all! An altcoin one might be tough because of the volume of information and we don't want to be too biased. I'll have to give that some thought.

You'd have to cover highlights about each coin so it's not too much and provide links to relevant websites or forum threads for those who want more information. As for bias, I figure the best thing is to be positive about each coin. The real bias would be in which coins you select to cover. I wouldn't cover a coin unless you thought it had potential. Even then, you won't be able to cover all of them. You could come up with some screening criteria, such as coin needs to be at least a year old (that will avoid inadvertently covering the quick death ones), a minimal USD or BTC marketcap (sustained for a certain amount of time)--basic metrics that indicate a strong coin vs. a weak one. I could probably come up with a few more that aren't strictly numerical as well Smiley
IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 12:12:13 AM

' . . . recap a few other prominent (or promising) altcoins . . . '

I think a pivotal metric -- certainly the one around which IndiaMikeZulu analyses circle -- is categories of alts.* Just as examples:

One: 'outwards-focussed' cryptos -- Dnotes is a category of one.

Two: the 2.0s, which are gonna trounce all complacent 1.0s.** [PM me, and I'll give you a prime example of a complacent 1.0.]

Three: the stealth coins: the Two Futures of Cryptos are compliant and libertarian. If things get ugly, stealth coins will do very well.

*There was a day, early 2014, I think, when six of the first forty-two cryptos on CMC were 'country coins.' Today? none.
**And beyond 2.0? PM me!

But I popped in this morning to launch the crypto buzz-phrase of 2016: 'zero-knowledge systems':

https://news.bitcoin.com/banks-will-lose-ground-2016-fintech-bitcoin

Nota bene: I take no personal responsibility whatsoever for the appalling prose of the article.
Chase
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 01:49:32 AM

' . . . recap a few other prominent (or promising) altcoins . . . '

I think a pivotal metric -- certainly the one around which IndiaMikeZulu analyses circle -- is categories of alts.* Just as examples:

One: 'outwards-focussed' cryptos -- Dnotes is a category of one.

Two: the 2.0s, which are gonna trounce all complacent 1.0s.** [PM me, and I'll give you a prime example of a complacent 1.0.]

Three: the stealth coins: the Two Futures of Cryptos are compliant and libertarian. If things get ugly, stealth coins will do very well.

*There was a day, early 2014, I think, when six of the first forty-two cryptos on CMC were 'country coins.' Today? none.
**And beyond 2.0? PM me!

But I popped in this morning to launch the crypto buzz-phrase of 2016: 'zero-knowledge systems':

https://news.bitcoin.com/banks-will-lose-ground-2016-fintech-bitcoin

Nota bene: I take no personal responsibility whatsoever for the appalling prose of the article.

I had to laugh at this part:

One paragragh starts with the sentence "Banks are also not taking cash from hard working citizens..." and the following sentence states "Cannabis entrepreneurs are finding it very difficult to deal with traditional banking institutions...".  Really??  Hard working citizen = cannabis entrepreneur??

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:08:51 AM

Another great article, Evander. 

Pages: « 1 ... 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 [424] 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 ... 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: