Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 12:03:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 579 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin or gold?  (Read 984414 times)
stromma44

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 02:27:38 AM

yes i can, but only because i don't have a family to sustain(and i'm not so stupid to build one)

if you are alone, you can live with 5k per year without any problem(taxes included)

the problem about inflation is true, but i can always invest in something that do not have this problem, like for example..bitcoin, gold could also be a good investments, basically everything that do not lose value because it is printed out of thin air

Investing in Gold might be OK, as the supply is more or less limited. However, investing in Bitcoin might create problems, if it is replaced by some other crypto-currency later. If that happens, you might lose all of your savings. It will be better to invest no more than 10% of the net wealth in High-risk investments such as Bitcoin.

Yes Gold is the better option as it is traditional and people have more faith in it or else need to diversify the investments cannot rely on a single product as it would be too risky to invest in a single product for a long run.
Btree

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

bitcoin é uma árvore que vai continuar a crescer

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 02:30:50 AM

yes i can, but only because i don't have a family to sustain(and i'm not so stupid to build one)

if you are alone, you can live with 5k per year without any problem(taxes included)

the problem about inflation is true, but i can always invest in something that do not have this problem, like for example..bitcoin, gold could also be a good investments, basically everything that do not lose value because it is printed out of thin air

Investing in Gold might be OK, as the supply is more or less limited. However, investing in Bitcoin might create problems, if it is replaced by some other crypto-currency later. If that happens, you might lose all of your savings. It will be better to invest no more than 10% of the net wealth in High-risk investments such as Bitcoin.

Yes Gold is the better option as it is traditional and people have more faith in it or else need to diversify the investments cannot rely on a single product as it would be too risky to invest in a single product for a long run.

I agree it Gold is real invest also iam not sure future of bitcoin after POW, maybe new cryptocoin will be replace bitcoin after POW

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 07:00:24 AM

while i don't like much gold, the one good point about it, is that it cannot be replaced in the future by another "better gold", like it could happen for bitcoin, i can give that to gold

so putting something into gold would be wise, it should not lost much value in the time
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 07:21:03 AM

while i don't like much gold, the one good point about it, is that it cannot be replaced in the future by another "better gold", like it could happen for bitcoin, i can give that to gold

That is an excellent argument. Gold has been in use for well over 5,000 years, and there is very little chance that it will lose its value anytime in the near future. It is too early to predict the future of Bitcoin. If it manages to survive for another 10 or 20 years, then it might evolve as something which is even more precious than gold.
BITCOINERSEJATI

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 07:33:15 AM
Last edit: June 18, 2015, 02:51:42 AM by BITCOINERSEJATI

I agree it Gold is real invest also iam not sure future of bitcoin after POW, maybe new cryptocoin will be replace bitcoin after POW

you wrong after POW ended bitcoin will going to the mars Roll Eyes
and you will cry beause you not have any bitcoin

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 11:14:13 AM

99% of bitcoin, 1% of gold

Gold awareness is already widely achieved, it will be produced more and more with future technology, and it will be used less and less in digital society, so the supply demand outlook is not that bright, the industry usage can be ignored

Bitcoin on the other hand is on the way to mass adoption, in a rising trend in almost every aspect. It is the growth that matters

RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 11:19:37 AM

99% of bitcoin, 1% of gold

Gold awareness is already widely achieved, it will be produced more and more with future technology, and it will be used less and less in digital society, so the supply demand outlook is not that bright, the industry usage can be ignored

Bitcoin on the other hand is on the way to mass adoption, in a rising trend in almost every aspect. It is the growth that matters

Not really, gold mining is struggling now, because the fiat inflation makes the mining equipment, and in general the cost of mining unfeasable. (this is the only reason gold hasnt plunged horribly)

On the other hand bitcoin mining is not affected by the number of miners.

And bitcoin awareness is about 1-2% of the population of Earth, and about 0.0005% are using it actively.

Thus yea Bitcoin has a brighter future.

tampazeus

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Lick me like a lolipop

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 11:20:50 AM

I'll take a little bit of both please.  Smiley Cant go wrong hedging my bets.
If you want you can throw in some silver and platinum too.
 Grin
JarvisTechnology

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 11:53:16 AM

I will choose Bitcoin. This is the currency here to stay for a long long time. Surely, in a year or two it will establish itself in the e-commerce market and then you will be able to buy from bitcoins, which you cannot do it by keeping gold.

Perfectly agree, the average gold user probably is a bearded fat guy living in a bunker.

The average bitcoin user is a well educated, innovative and enterprise oriented tech guy.

I don''t think the looks and education has got to anything with it. It is all about mentality for accepting new things and to become part of innovations, rather than living in a usual routine. Bitcoin is attractive to user because of its prices. These users will be gone when bitcoin prices comes equal to fiat currencies.

mr.coinstrader

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 03:59:55 PM

Gold is just not useful as a currency at all. Bitcoin is far better, but if you want to hold something physical buy gold instead.
Falconer
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1127

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 05:59:51 PM

Gold is just not useful as a currency at all. Bitcoin is far better, but if you want to hold something physical buy gold instead.

Gold is not a thing that you need to pay what you buy. So, why using gold as a currency? If you want to, sell your gold into fiat, and buy the stuff with that. Gold is the best way to do investment, because the price is more stable than bitcoin. We can't predict how the bitcoin price is in future exactly, but the gold investment that have been done for all this time prove us that gold is the best.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 06:13:41 PM

Not really, gold mining is struggling now, because the fiat inflation makes the mining equipment, and in general the cost of mining unfeasable. (this is the only reason gold hasnt plunged horribly)

This is not 100% true. Right now, the cost of extracting gold is around $600 to $800 per oz. And gold vs USD exchange rate is currently around 1 oz Au = $1,180. Even if we take the taxes in to account, gold mining is profitable right now. However, a large number of gold mines around the world are closing down (esp. in countries such as South Africa), but this is mostly due to other issues such as labor disputes.
edric

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 06:23:54 PM

May be we will get bitcoins in physical avatar too. Then you can get that for anything physical. And it might be a good idea to get the bitcoins from virtual to actual physical thing.

brendanjhwu

Activity: 238

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 12:15:52 AM

I would have to say gold hands down.

Gold has dropped, since the 70s... but, haha BTC went from less then a dollar to 1200 to 600 to 200 in only a matter of less then 5 years.
wearepoor

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 12:28:28 AM

Gold has dropped, since the 70s... but, haha BTC went from less then a dollar to 1200 to 600 to 200 in only a matter of less then 5 years.

Gold will always have a upper hand when we talk about the investment. Gold has been traditional no doubt the prices has gone down in the recent past but still we believe that Gold will overtake all the threats that it is facing from new entrants and would glitter as it used to be in the past.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:18:01 AM

So you can say that, if you are after a stable and safe investment, you can go for gold. Historically, gold has been one of the safest forms of investment, when compared to the other options such as equities, mutual funds, treasury bonds, real estate.etc. However, if you are willing to take some risk, then Bitcoin won't be a bad option.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 06:27:34 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2015, 06:39:34 AM by deisik

It has long been known that Russia (as well as China) is buying gold and seems to be going to continue buying the yellow metal in the future. Here's an article exploring the matter...

Russia's Gold Reserves Are a Growing Threat to the U.S. Dollar

For the past decade, Russia has been steadily increasing its official gold reserves. It has more than tripled its gold hoard since 2005 and holds the most since at least 1993, according to International Monetary Fund data

Though it seems to be more like China's gold that could potentially crush the US dollar

arallmuus
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1411

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 09:25:57 AM

If you based your statements on the volatility then I would say that you are very wrong about this. Gold has been stable enough for years indeed but if you take a quick look back on gold price than you could clearly see that gold has some volatility as well. BTC is still on the early stages and you cant based your statements on the volatitily

From the chart you can clearly see how the price went up and down in just a few years timeframe as well , same thing that happened to BTC

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 10:17:02 AM

Though it seems to be more like China's gold that could potentially crush the US dollar

The funny thing is that no one actually know how much gold is there with the Chinese Central Bank. I have seen some people speculating that it might be even bigger than the American gold reserves. Russia is also increasing their gold reserves, and more importantly, they are offloading the USD, to buy other foreign currencies such as the EUR, CNY, AUD, UKP and CHF.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 10:25:58 AM

Gold is not a thing that you need to pay what you buy. So, why using gold as a currency? If you want to, sell your gold into fiat, and buy the stuff with that. Gold is the best way to do investment, because the price is more stable than bitcoin. We can't predict how the bitcoin price is in future exactly, but the gold investment that have been done for all this time prove us that gold is the best.

Volatility must be compared at a risk adjusted basis. After adjust the risk to same 5% per year level using lower leverage, the bitcoin outperforms every single investment in the world

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 579 »
  Print  

Jump to: