Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:57:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... 579 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin or gold?  (Read 984414 times)
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:35:38 PM

Bitcoin is much easier to divide than gold is. Gold was also used as currency for thousands of years. Many countries and civilizations used gold coins as their currency. Bitcoin can be used just like gold was as a currency in the past.

its better to treat gold as an asset and respect what it is, use it in jewelry and to add a look of class and luxury to products. Treating it as a currency rather than an asset might be a really weird thing to do, it'd be like doing the same shit and going back in time. Time for digitization, speed and user friendly currency. Bitcoin exceeds my expectations regarding that Smiley
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 06:31:27 PM

Bitcoin is much easier to divide than gold is. Gold was also used as currency for thousands of years. Many countries and civilizations used gold coins as their currency. Bitcoin can be used just like gold was as a currency in the past.

its better to treat gold as an asset and respect what it is, use it in jewelry and to add a look of class and luxury to products. Treating it as a currency rather than an asset might be a really weird thing to do, it'd be like doing the same shit and going back in time. Time for digitization, speed and user friendly currency. Bitcoin exceeds my expectations regarding that Smiley

Fiat payment systems like Visa or Mastercard are truly instant, in the majority of cases. Decentralization comes at a cost. But then yes, gold is not for the masses...

RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 08:15:00 PM

Fiat payment systems like Visa or Mastercard are truly instant, in the majority of cases. Decentralization comes at a cost. But then yes, gold is not for the masses...

Wtf are you talking about VISA and Mastercard needs 3 days to clear, and can still be charged back 30 days after. I`d say the TX duration is 30 days then, because until it is not finalized, it is not over.

Bitcoin takes 10 min, and with other crypto takes 1 min. Gold cant even be transacted unless via a centralized banking system or if some exchanges setup gold transfer functions (i think i saw on a report a guy who worked on a centralized gold payment system)

But still even if they do it, it will be the same as the current SWIFT, except with gold.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 09:13:20 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2015, 09:27:06 PM by deisik

Wtf are you talking about VISA and Mastercard needs 3 days to clear, and can still be charged back 30 days after. I`d say the TX duration is 30 days then, because until it is not finalized, it is not over.

I don't care how long it takes to clear, since I can spend the money right at the moment it shows up in the balance (which happens instantly). I speak for myself. "Your mileage may vary", but I guess you gotta be more picky about what bank to choose as the card issuer...

It appears that you never bought anything with a bank card on the Net. The payment gets confirmed momentarily (just in case you wanted to know, but were afraid to ask)

Bitcoin takes 10 min, and with other crypto takes 1 min. Gold cant even be transacted unless via a centralized banking system or if some exchanges setup gold transfer functions (i think i saw on a report a guy who worked on a centralized gold payment system)

Sometimes... actually often times, I have to wait up to an hour to get my transaction confirmed, to get just one confirmation (when I need two or three)

RealBitcoin

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 09:30:59 PM

I don't care how long it takes to clear, since I can spend the money right at the moment it shows up in the balance (which happens instantly). I speak for myself. "Your mileage may vary", but I guess you gotta be more picky about what bank to choose as the card issuer...

It appears that you never bought anything with a bank card on the Net. The payment gets confirmed momentarily (just in case you wanted to know, but were afraid to ask)
Thats a good joke. Sure you buy it instantly but there are reprecussions until 30 days, for example if you are the vendor you are quite unhappy if  some scammer from a 3rld world country with fake card gets to steal your stuff and dont even pay for it.

Bitcoin encourages vendors to use it.

Sometimes... actually often times, I have to wait up to an hour to get my transaction confirmed, to get just one confirmation (when I need two or three)

Next time dont be greedy and put a fkin 0.0003 fee there and it might be faster then.

markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:13:33 AM

But still even if they do it, it will be the same as the current SWIFT, except with gold.

In the UK we have the "faster payments" systems, bank transfers and payments by card etc. only take a few seconds to clear.

ajun96

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:00:54 AM

The past does not exist this sophisticated technology,
bitcoin cannot be used as a means of payment in the past
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:25:03 AM

Bitcoin is much easier to divide than gold is. Gold was also used as currency for thousands of years. Many countries and civil bitizations used gold coins as their currency. Bitcoin can be used just like gold was as a currency in the past.
The past does not exist this sophisticated technology,
bitcoin cannot be used as a means of payment in the past

Bitcoin is built around a technology which profits the future, the only reason bitcoin was not used before like gold is because it was not invented yet Tongue
Things would be so much better if people were using bitcoins for centuries rather than gold, but things change so you never know what different kind of economic unrest would take place.
ritesh850

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:27:27 AM

Both
markj113
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:31:46 AM

The only reason this "Bitcoin or Gold?" thread exists in the first place is because most people consciously or subconsciously view gold as the ultimate store and expression of wealth.

Even though the op is pro bitcoin why choose gold as the other option, why not lead, silver, copper, oil or any other commodity?

Bitcoin could turn out be the investment of a lifetime or it could literally go to zero, its a gamble and nothing more and still a baby at 5 years old.

Gold on the other hand has been considered valuable for 1000's of years and will continue to be valued far in to the future.  The price will fluctuate up and down as does everything else in life but it will never reach Zero!

Also the only reason most governments are currently letting bitcoin go unchallenged is because they do not see it as a threat as its still in its infancy.

Control of money = power and if you think the people at the top will let it go easily you are mistaken.

They will either make it illegal or so expensive to use it will never become mainstream.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 06:39:46 AM

Next time dont be greedy and put a fkin 0.0003 fee there and it might be faster then.

Next time don't be stupid. I talk about time intervals between block confirmations on the blockchain

Scream

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

U will never know the true answer, before you try

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 03:03:33 PM

Surely is Gold, honestly I would prefer Gold than BTC for my invest if I had a lot of money.. IMO

"Gold and bitcoin are both worth what people think they are worth."
However, you're completely wrong when you say that there's no such thing as intrinsic value.
RealBitcoin

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 03:04:52 PM

In the UK we have the "faster payments" systems, bank transfers and payments by card etc. only take a few seconds to clear.

Good for you, I don't enjoy these "enhanced" features, in fact until now I only had negative experiences with the monetary system.

Next time don't be stupid. I talk about time intervals between block confirmations on the blockchain

Yes the fee is actually making your TX faster. If you need 6 confirm then if you would pay a 0.01BTC fee you`d get it confirmed in 10 mins because all miners would rush to confirm it.

And its still cheaper than bank TX fee.

If not then tough luck, its soo bad to wait 1 hour, given the benefits bitcoin brings over cards that its very hard to resist the cards isn't it?

GreenStox

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 03:37:44 PM

Surely is Gold, honestly I would prefer Gold than BTC for my invest if I had a lot of money.. IMO

"Gold and bitcoin are both worth what people think they are worth."
However, you're completely wrong when you say that there's no such thing as intrinsic value.

That is exactly true.

And while Bitcoin is getting more and more interesting to the 6 billion unbanked, and living in poverty hellholes, with capital controls.

Gold is just a fancy metal for the top 10% in western countries which make up like 1% of the world population.

Yea yea its getting cool in India and China, but c`mon not everybody is interested, and their whole basis is that they dont have alternative.

SURPRIZE: NOW YOU HAVE, ITS CALLED BITCOIN!

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
dodgecharger

Activity: 1005
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 03:50:23 PM

Bitcoin is very much like gold in its conception and implementation - issued as an asset, limited supply etc. The difference, of course, is that it can easily be used to transact anywhere on the planet - to buy and sell on a day-to-day basis.
GreenStox

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:27:57 PM

Bitcoin is very much like gold in its conception and implementation - issued as an asset, limited supply etc. The difference, of course, is that it can easily be used to transact anywhere on the planet - to buy and sell on a day-to-day basis.

It is totally different, since bitcoin is immaterial while gold is material. I guess philosophically it comes down to materialism vs immaterialism.

And i see the gold bugs here are very materialist, perhaps suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorders and cant realize that bitcoin is superior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:29:30 PM

Yea yea its getting cool in India and China, but c`mon not everybody is interested, and their whole basis is that they dont have alternative.

SURPRIZE: NOW YOU HAVE, ITS CALLED BITCOIN!

It was always cool there, for millenia.

Someone asked a while ago, to name one thing that gold has as an advantage over bitcoin. Well, to take a recent incident, nobody can come in and say "you know what, I will fork it" - like the XT fiasco, where suddenly you may have 2 versions of bitcoin and loss of trust in the ecosystem with price going -15% down.

"Politics" can do this to bitcoin, while gold will remain the same in quality no matter what. Nobody can change its properties, unlike bitcoin which is somewhat malleable - being code.
risingtide

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:18:48 PM

And while Bitcoin is getting more and more interesting to the 6 billion unbanked, and living in poverty hellholes, with capital controls.

Gold is just a fancy metal for the top 10% in western countries which make up like 1% of the world population.

I think it's interesting to look at it from a demographic perspective. But you also have to realize that the billions of unbanked aren't very tech savvy, and if you asked a random villager whether they wanted a digital wallet that contained $500 in BTC or a lump of gold they could hold in their hands worth $100, they'd probably take the lump of gold every time.

🚀 🚀Bitcoin mining with NFTs 🚀 🚀
⚡️⚡️Join us in the Digimint Discord⚡️⚡️
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 07:45:18 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2015, 08:04:40 PM by deisik

Yes the fee is actually making your TX faster. If you need 6 confirm then if you would pay a 0.01BTC fee you`d get it confirmed in 10 mins because all miners would rush to confirm it.

Are you really so brain-dead? According to your logic, miners are not rushing to get 25 BTC for finding a block, and then, all of a sudden, they would rush to do exactly the same just to get an extra 0.01 BTC?

markj113
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 08:00:24 PM

I think it's interesting to look at it from a demographic perspective. But you also have to realize that the billions of unbanked aren't very tech savvy, and if you asked a random villager whether they wanted a digital wallet that contained $500 in BTC or a lump of gold they could hold in their hands worth $100, they'd probably take the lump of gold every time.

Agree,

Stroll around this market with a memory stick containing bitcoin in 1 hand and a gold coin the other and see which is more widely accepted -
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... 579 »
  Print  

Jump to: