Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:12:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 [226] 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 ... 417 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BCN] Bytecoin. Secure, private, untraceable since 2012  (Read 1070028 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 07:15:00 AM

CryptoNote whitepaper was out on october 17, 2013, and the first commit to the Github repo was on november 15, 2013. Had the BCN network started in november nobody would be questioning it. By means of a comparison: nakamoto released the btc whitepaper in november 2008, and the network started in january 2009 with the first client, a not-too-disimilar timeframe. Would it stand to reason, by all accounts, that the individuals behind the cryptoNote whitepaper either wrote the initial code and gave it to the bytecoin developer(s) who then ran with this, falsified a blockchain (trivial), and released it publicly in march after blockchain falsification was complete. Just lol.

No no no. That makes way too much sense.

Here's what I think happened: a bunch of world-class cryptographers got together and created a digital currency in 2012 with groundbreaking, never-before-seen privacy technology, using funding they collectively saved in a penny jar. And who needs a whitepaper, right? Instead, they elevator-pitched many technically savvy (yet unaffiliated) individuals to mine the coin but not so much as mention its existence anywhere (you know, because miners love worthless coins that nobody knows about). And finally, over a year later, they eventually got around to writing a whitepaper that magically references the future.

Don't forget it supposedly was doing this:

circulating as a main local currency in one very large international research center,

and yet left no verifiable evidence of any kind anywhere of that activity.

Either people in that "very large international research center" are pretty damn good at keeping secrets, or this part of the story, along with most of the rest, is a steaming pile of horseshit.

If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wanderlust

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:24:38 AM

and yet more FUD from the self-appointed Lord of the Crypto-Guardians

What do you make of this smooth?

https://cryptonote.org/news/2014/7/4/july-4th-birthday-of-bytecoin-bcn

On July 4th 2012 the very first CryptoNote-based coin was born. Bytecoin. The very first cryptocoin whose developers were innovative enough to embrace a new technology and put forth the idea of true anonymity. The CN team had recognized the full potential of Bytecoin from the very beginning and provided extensive assistance on the initial stages of development. Therefore we are prone to name July 4th the starting point for all CryptoNote-based currencies and the day of birth for CN community as a whole.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:30:36 AM

On July 4th 2012 the very first CryptoNote-based coin was born. Bytecoin. The very first cryptocoin whose developers were innovative enough to embrace a new technology and put forth the idea of true anonymity. The CN team had recognized the full potential of Bytecoin from the very beginning and provided extensive assistance on the initial stages of development. Therefore we are prone to name July 4th the starting point for all CryptoNote-based currencies and the day of birth for CN community as a whole.

I think its more of the same made up story, and yes I've said long ago that whoever is behind the cryptonote site is part of the same gang, or working together to promote the same made up story about the 2012 launch. There is some direct evidence of the connection in the rethink-your-strategy post under "All tied up in a bow" where it is demonstrated that the cryptonote web site and several of the other cryptonote coin sites -- including bytecoin -- share an implausible set of DNS registration information, email, hosting, and quirks in the CSS source code of the sites themselves.

Show me a credible verifiable source, such as archive.org or another recognized archive site, or a credible identified person (not an easily-created or -purchased forum account) that shows these statements, claims, or activities involving a 2012 launch existing before late 2013.

As i said before, absence of evidence is evidence of absence when there has been a diligent search or sufficient motivation to produce that evidence. In this case we have both of those conditions, and still no verifiable evidence.

I'm repeating myself now but we are told it was circulating as a main local currency at a major international research institution. Activity on that scale would surely leave some evidence, of some kind, somewhere. Where is it?
Wanderlust

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 09:16:22 AM

I think its more of the same made up story, and yes I've said long ago that whoever is behind the cryptonote site is part of the same gang, or working together to promote the same made up story about the 2012 launch. There is some direct evidence of the connection in the rethink-your-strategy post under "All tied up in a bow" where it is demonstrated that the cryptonote web site and several of the other cryptonote coin sites -- including bytecoin -- share an implausible set of DNS registration information, email, hosting, and quirks in the CSS source code of the sites themselves.

Show me a credible verifiable source, such as archive.org or another recognized archive site, or a credible identified person (not an easily-created or -purchased forum account) that shows these statements, claims, or activities involving a 2012 launch existing before late 2013.

As i said before, absence of evidence is evidence of absence when there has been a diligent search or sufficient motivation to produce that evidence. In this case we have both of those conditions, and still no verifiable evidence.

I'm repeating myself now but we are told it was circulating as a main local currency at a major international research institution. Activity on that scale would surely leave some evidence, of some kind, somewhere. Where is it?

Well that's quite the conspiracy; so elaborate, detailed and long-running. Almost as if you're the one now reaching. If only a whistle-blower could confirm the XMR story.

Absence of evidence is absence of evidence. The guys behind BCN and CN do not appear to feel the need to prove anything to anyone, least of all you. This is not the kind of technology which would leave a nice trail of evidence for you to follow. That's kind of the point - anonymity in everything.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 10:02:23 AM

Well that's quite the conspiracy; so elaborate, detailed and long-running. Almost as if you're the one now reaching. If only a whistle-blower could confirm the XMR story.

Absence of evidence is absence of evidence. The guys behind BCN and CN do not appear to feel the need to prove anything to anyone, least of all you. This is not the kind of technology which would leave a nice trail of evidence for you to follow. That's kind of the point - anonymity in everything.

There's no "conspiracy" really, just an altcoin premine scam with a somewhat creative backstory, which is something that has happened many times before, and will probably happen a few times again. In fact that's exactly the point. The obvious (and obviously correct) interpretation is far less "long running" than the bogus 2012 story.

If anything the conspiracy would be keeping two years of mining and usage including "circulating as a main local currency at a major international research center" from generating any verifiable evidence whatsoever.

You're looking for some elaborate explanation when the simple and obvious one is just an attempt at a premine scam driven by greed. If you don't accept that, then you have to come up with something far more contrived to explain away the evidence of forgery, fraud, false claims of independence between obvious sock puppet projects, lack of evidence for claimed activity on a scale that surely would create such evidence, and other inconvenient details.

I understand though, you find it all mysterious and intriguing and want to believe. Go ahead then. Carry on.
Wanderlust

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 10:25:22 AM
Last edit: June 28, 2015, 11:19:39 AM by Wanderlust

There's no "conspiracy" really, just an altcoin premine scam with a somewhat creative backstory, which is something that has happened many times before, and will probably happen a few times again. In fact that's exactly the point. The obvious (and obviously correct) interpretation is far less "long running" than the bogus 2012 story.

If anything the conspiracy would be keeping two years of mining and usage including "circulating as a main local currency at a major international research center" from generating any verifiable evidence whatsoever.

You're looking for some elaborate explanation when the simple and obvious one is just an attempt at a premine scam driven by greed. If you don't accept that, then you have to come up with something far more contrived to explain away the evidence of forgery, fraud, false claims of independence between obvious sock puppet projects, lack of evidence for claimed activity on a scale that surely would create such evidence, and other inconvenient details.

I understand though, you find it all mysterious and intriguing and want to believe. Go ahead then. Carry on.

"Somewhat creative backstory" is a gross understatement. From the Victor Hugo quotes in the blockchain to the recent interviews with Harry Ullo combined with the advanced crypto that has been and continues to be produced. Cryptographers must be some of the most surveilled people in society. For the creators of CN and BCN to have retained their anonymity is quite an accomplishment. Confusion regarding the backstory and dates can only help them retain it.

Given how elaborate the story is I'm don't believe we can say with confidence whether one interpretation or the other is the correct one.

It's true to say I find it "mysterious and intriguing and want to believe". You got me there.
It might also be true to say that at this point you don't want to believe and have a vested interest in Monero.

Wanderlust

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 12:32:41 PM

…I think its more of the same made up story, and yes I've said long ago that whoever is behind the cryptonote site is part …

the cryptonote site is a part of the https://cryptonotefoundation.org/ site. Members of the foundation include
Johannes Meier, Maurice Planck, Max Jameson, Brandon Hawking & more. I assume these are public figures. If so are they a part of the scam smooth?
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 02:20:46 PM

…I think its more of the same made up story, and yes I've said long ago that whoever is behind the cryptonote site is part …

the cryptonote site is a part of the https://cryptonotefoundation.org/ site. Members of the foundation include
Johannes Meier, Maurice Planck, Max Jameson, Brandon Hawking & more. I assume these are public figures. If so are they a part of the scam smooth?

They're pseudonyms based on the names of famous scientists. There's no reason to assume they are even separate people, why would you assume they're public figures?
lxxtikk
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 03:26:29 PM

i need wallet for 32 bit windows. Can someone help me .where can i download for 32 bit and how to make backup?
Wanderlust

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 05:04:44 PM

They're pseudonyms based on the names of famous scientists. There's no reason to assume they are even separate people, why would you assume they're public figures?

Yup. My bad. Should've assumed. Makes sense they would be - it's consistent.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 01:49:36 AM

Cryptographers must be some of the most surveilled people in society. For the creators of CN and BCN to have retained their anonymity is quite an accomplishment. Confusion regarding the backstory and dates can only help them retain it.

How the hell would you know what the results of that (presumed) surveillance has been? Do you know everything the NSA, etc. know?

It might also be true to say that at this point you don't want to believe and have a vested interest in Monero

Except if you look at the historical record my skepticism and later disbelief predates the my interest in Monero. In fact it predates even the idea of Monero being created.

You have cause and effect reversed, not only for me but for many other (now) Monero supporters as well. We started off being intrigued by BCN/CN and being impressed by the technology. Many of us mined it and traded it and even started working on improving the code. The premine and other fabrications, once that started to come to light, is what drove us away.
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 07:12:08 AM
Last edit: June 29, 2015, 07:22:56 AM by Johnny Mnemonic

You have cause and effect reversed, not only for me but for many other (now) Monero supporters as well. We started off being intrigued by BCN/CN and being impressed by the technology. Many of us mined it and traded it and even started working on improving the code. The premine and other fabrications, once that started to come to light, is what drove us away.

This. In fact, if you really cared to look, you could find many of our names in the early pages of this thread showing initial interest in Bytecoin, and the discussion ultimately leading to the bitMonero fork.

Also, I found it interesting that the guy who showed up just to tell everyone he'd mined BCN in 2012 referred to it as "BCN" when the abbreviation known to him would have been "BTE."
Wanderlust

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 05:50:40 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2015, 08:04:13 PM by Wanderlust

Cryptographers must be some of the most surveilled people in society. For the creators of CN and BCN to have retained their anonymity is quite an accomplishment. Confusion regarding the backstory and dates can only help them retain it.

How the hell would you know what the results of that (presumed) surveillance has been? Do you know everything the NSA, etc. know?

It might also be true to say that at this point you don't want to believe and have a vested interest in Monero

Except if you look at the historical record my skepticism and later disbelief predates the my interest in Monero. In fact it predates even the idea of Monero being created.

And yet when all is said and done BCN wrote the first CN code (I dont believe that has ever been disputed) and more importantly continue to develop and are outpacing Monero I think it's fair to say.

I wonder who will listen and how many will care if BCN keep pushing development faster than XMR. I daresay some XMR supporters are STILL intrigued by BCN and STILL impressed by their technology. Indeed I'd be surprised if some of the XMR community werent a little perturbed by seeing healthy development from BCN still. Clearly BCN dev ears are deaf to Monero accusations and continue to develop, which is good for crypto-currency since the BCN devs have skills.

I also think it's fair to say that your identity, as are those of other Monero devs, is better known to the world at large than those of the BCN devs. Cryptography is in danger of becoming virtually illegal to develop (it seems to me) and if and when "the Man comes calling" we may better ascertain how well these devs have kept their anonymity.

Furthermore I don't doubt your motives in the beginning were good. However your long-standing position in the Monero Team and the obvious competitiveness with BCN makes it harder for non-Monerians to believe your motives remain good and altruistic (although tehy well could). You investment (at least of time) is far greater now than it once was, smooth.

The vast majority of criticism leveled at BCN still comes from XMR, a community which stands to lose more than any other from a healthy BCN. Lack of evidence, no silver bullet, no whistle-blowers… except yourselves who possess few facts and work mostly on supposition and so are not really whistle-blowers at all. "Absence of evidence is evidence of absence" I hear you say. Not always I reply.
Wanesst

Activity: 421
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 06:04:34 PM

Bytecoin team found a bug in OSX: https://bytecoin.org/blog/pthread-bug-osx/

The Bug

While developing Bytecoin Wallet for OS X we've faced a bug in pthread library condition variable implementation. This bug can't be called nothing else but pesky. Pthread is one of the cornerstones of multithread programming and used in almost every OS X application that uses multithreads, including gcc, clang, java and boost. Due to this bug - user can lose a vital piece of data that is placed in the memory. For instance, some applications are storing transaction amounts in the memory and in certain circumstances this bug can lead to the data corruption and therefore some info regarding the transaction amount is going to be lost.

Wanderlust

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 08:51:49 PM

^THIS is what I'm talking about (@smooth).
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 11:50:02 PM

The vast majority of criticism leveled at BCN still comes from XMR

Does that surprise you? XMR's entire existence is because of all the suspicion surrounding BCN... so of course XMR supporters are critical... that's why they created XMR.

Your "lack of evidence" statement is poorly thought out. Even if it's true (it's not and you know it), we're not in court, and nobody has to prove the BCN/CN guys are a bunch of frauds when it's easier to simply not use it, and advise everyone else not to use it either.

But if you think BCN is full of rainbows and good intentions, then please spend more money on it.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 02:53:28 AM

Wanderlust, I sincerely suggest that you just continue as a BCN supporter.

People will investigate what they investigate and come to their own conclusions. I don't perceive any "lack of evidence", in fact it seems quite clear that the evidence over the past year is conclusive. That has been the inference made by many people (including myself, but there is no need to personalize this) who at the time they reached those conclusions had no other association or agenda besides being interested community members like yourself. But if you think you see something different, that's your prerogative. Mayne you can join up with DStrange and become an official BCN team member who represents them here on bitcointalk. Whatever floats your boat, seriously.

Wanderlust

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 10:08:15 AM

Wanderlust, I sincerely suggest that you just continue as a BCN supporter.

People will investigate what they investigate and come to their own conclusions. I don't perceive any "lack of evidence", in fact it seems quite clear that the evidence over the past year is conclusive. That has been the inference made by many people (including myself, but there is no need to personalize this) who at the time they reached those conclusions had no other association or agenda besides being interested community members like yourself. But if you think you see something different, that's your prerogative. Mayne you can join up with DStrange and become an official BCN team member who represents them here on bitcointalk. Whatever floats your boat, seriously.

No, no… I like things just the way they are. You the gin, me the tonic. I'm fed up with you Monerians bashing BCN and am quite sure you intend to continue doing your best to de-rail Bytecoin in the future. Personally I find it to be in poor taste and since I remain unconvinced by XMR I'll continue wandering through BCT in an attempt to level the playing field.
Wanderlust

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 08:30:53 AM

^what a load of…
* Wanderlust bites his lip.

Bytecoin got any plans for July 4th?
tearsdontfall

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 11:36:04 PM

i have 9931 bytecoins in my wallet ... how much i can send ? please tell me in details ...

Pages: « 1 ... 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 [226] 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 ... 417 »
  Print  

Jump to: