Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:35:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 [230] 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 ... 417 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BCN] Bytecoin. Secure, private, untraceable since 2012  (Read 1070029 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 11:38:56 AM

@smooth,
I'm not here to bash you nor Monero, in fact I hold some XMR myself. But as much as I respect Monero and the efforts you're putting into defending it from FUD, quite often (just like now - out of the blue) I come across reading things about Monero that are mostly negative or fueled by hate/FUD. What the hell is up with that? Same goes for some other coins that I support (For example DASH and Shadow) but to a much smaller extent.

I can't tell you what's up with any other Monero or Dash or any other coin supporters or detractors except to say that people do get rather attached to their favorite coins and sometimes that is expressed in a negative and hateful way.

I don't believe that my posts are hateful. Skeptical and challenging of questionable or obviously doubtful (at best) claims is more the approach I tend to take when it comes to coins I feel are no being straight with the community.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptrol

Activity: 637
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 11:39:32 AM

- It could have been easy to prove the existence of the blockchain at some date with a News headline (like the one in the bitcoin genesis block).

That only proves that it wasn't created before a certain date, not that it was. I could easily put a news headline from 1850 in a genesis block, that doesn't mean such a coin existed in 1850.

Of course, I guess there is no easy way then (post edited).
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 11:46:12 AM

- It could have been easy to prove the existence of the blockchain at some date with a News headline (like the one in the bitcoin genesis block).

That only proves that it wasn't created before a certain date, not that it was. I could easily put a news headline from 1850 in a genesis block, that doesn't mean such a coin existed in 1850.

Of course, I guess there is no easy way then (post edited).

An easy way would be to find some reference to the coin or the blockchain or the project in a third party verifiable source (such as archive.org) or find some credible identified people with valuable reputations at stake to come forward and attest to that fact.

Instead, bytecoin proceeded in precisely the opposite direction, running away from transparency by blocking archive.org from their web site after it became clear that it was being used to call them out on their self-contraditory statements and after-the-fact changes to posted files (such as white papers and css reset scripts).

Quote from: bytecoin.org/robots.txt
User-agent: ia_archiver
Disallow: /
child_harold

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 02:32:00 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2015, 04:57:41 PM by child_harold

It is entirely unfair and unacceptable that you would cherry pick the bits from the cryptonote.org site and team you like  and yet dismiss the others that do not serve you. The text emboldened below shows you do defame the CN Team. Either they can be trusted or not.

In your words:

"As I explained to you before, the fact that cryptonote repeats the implausible and essentially disproven claim of two-years-in-the-deep-web, it is clear that not all of their statements can be trusted"

Maybe they repeat it because it's true. (And archive.org wont help with deep-web matters anyway)

ps you use the phrase "essentially disproven"? nothing has been proven or disproven, except the wobbly dates on the whitepaper which the CN team are accountable for.

Scammers dont go around writing ground-breaking code.

You base that on what exactly? I fail to see any essential positive or negative connection between the two at all. One might say, Harvard graduates who go on to receive Ph.Ds. in Mathematics and become professors don't go around blowing people up, but that would be nonsense as demonstrated by the example of the unibomber.

If u wanna scam in crypto you there's a million easier ways than actually creating an anonymous Bitcoin. FFS.

You keep repeating this, yet not only isn't it even true (for similar reasons as above), but it doesn't fit even Cryptonote's claimed facts at all. Supposedly the system was designed and implemented and then some members of the group decided to launch their own coin with it. It was that last decision that was done as a scam. It had nothing to do with the designing and implementing. (Again, we don't know that this is entirely correct, but it is at least plausible, and contradicts your cloud castle of a mantra that it can't possibly be a scam because it is innovative.)

these developers (also your benefactors)

As I explained above, every Cryptonote-derived coin is a legitimate offspring of the original Cryptonote work (as explicitly invited by them when they released the cryptonote starter kit). In that sense Bytecoin and Monero are just siblings. Choose whichever you prefer, being fully informed.

The Bytecoin Team helped the Cryptonote Team implement the code. This is the version of events as described by the CN Team on crptonote.org. Monero just copied it. How the hell are you siblings? Rather Monero is more the bastard son.

A while back there was an interview posted with someone alleged to be from cryptonote who said that the bytecoin team split off from cryptonote because they wanted to implement a coin, and cryptonote was more interested in promoting the use of the technology by independent groups (which is exactly what Monero is doing, I might add). It was stated that they were still in contact but no longer working together. I'm simply going based on what they said. I can't easily find that interview now, but I'm sure its around somewhere if someone wants to dig it up.

It is also clear that cryptonote has invited other people, besides Bytecoin, to create coins using the technology they invented when they released the cryptonote starter kit. This is entirely beyond dispute, and again, this is exactly what Monero is doing.

If you prefer Bytecoin for your crypto investment needs because you believe (without any evidence I might add, and I strongly suspect incorrectly) that the people running it now and working on the code are the same ones who implemented the original reference code, and that matters a lot to you, go for it. It's your money.

(BTW, again I would suggest to you that you enlist the advice of technical experts who would tell you -- if they are competent -- from looking at the original and new code that it isn't the same people working on it any more.)

When I fist mentioned cryptonote.org's recognition of BCN you dismissed it out-of-hand accusing the CN Team of being in the same boat as the BCN Team.

As I explained to you before, the fact that cryptonote repeats the implausible and essentially disproven claim of two-years-in-the-deep-web, it is clear that not all of their statements can be trusted, and their motives appear, to some extent, aligned with those of Bytecoin in perpetuating this false backstory. (This was well-discussed last year, and had nothing to do with you pointing it out.) By the same token, that does not demonstrate that all of their statements are false. Correct logic may be tricky at times, but I'm sure you can understand this, correct?

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 07:26:16 PM

ps you use the phrase "essentially disproven"? nothing has been proven or disproven, except the wobbly dates on the whitepaper which the CN team are accountable for.

Sure thing child_harold. Nobody has disproven Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy either. Believe what you want to believe then.

child_harold

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 10:13:04 PM

Sure thing child_harold. Nobody has disproven Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy either. Believe what you want to believe then.

What need has the world for Santa when you are here to determine with equal mad pendulum swings those of us who have been nice and those of u who have been naughty?

The freedom to choose what I believe is not yours to give smooth. It is mine to keep.

p.s. still cherry-picking? state your position on the CN Team pls.

owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 01:21:05 AM

What need has the world for Santa when you are here to determine with equal mad pendulum swings those of us who have been nice and those of u who have been naughty?

The freedom to choose what I believe is not yours to give smooth. It is mine to keep.

Wtf. Do you really care so much about monero or the totally anon CN team? Butthurt much? it's pretty clear what your agenda is, and if you think we are stupid and don't get it, you're about 2x as stupid. Go find your purple crayon and be a child again, ffs.

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
child_harold

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 01:17:29 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2015, 04:32:18 PM by child_harold

Wtf. Do you really care so much about monero or the totally anon CN team? Butthurt much? it's pretty clear what your agenda is, and if you think we are stupid and don't get it, you're about 2x as stupid. Go find your purple crayon and be a child again, ffs.

Oh, so you know me better than I know myself? Why not enlighten us all and explain what my agenda is? Are you another crypto-guardian come to doll out more swiss cheese propaganda? Lest I remind you that even smooth admits rethink-your-strategy may have got some things wrong. Sure Im a little butthurt after you crypto-bunnies tried gangbanging me, but Ive beaten the odds before and I have no interest in switching my brain off as others here clearly do.

A purple crayon is all I need.

ABISprotocol

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

ABISprotocol on Gist

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 10:44:51 AM
Last edit: July 19, 2015, 11:38:21 AM by ABISprotocol

Where can I download a wallet since sourceforge is down?

We've temporary put the files on our servers. Check out the downloads page: https://bytecoin.org/downloads/

Brief comment on this, since sourceforge has been the subject of a lot of community rage (nmap pulled its stuff off of sourceforge (details: http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2015/q2/194), bitcoin removed lists from sourceforge, etc, etc) because sourceforge would add malware onto repositories. Just one of the back stories on this... http://www.techrepublic.com/article/its-time-to-go-away-sourceforge/
And that's before the latest "tits up" debacle
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/17/souceforge_titsup/

I like the idea of Bytecoin community taking care of its own files but I would like to see that distributed too, to be a bit more specific by that, what I mean is this...

1) Github it all (source available from github and linking to it off the bytecoin.org downloads page)
https://github.com/amjuarez/bytecoin

2) A harder step perhaps to examine and implement, but one worth taking a look at, is Gittorrenting this
See: http://blog.printf.net/articles/2015/05/29/announcing-gittorrent-a-decentralized-github/

If that could be done it would protect the community even more.

Cheers all

ABISprotocol (Github/Gist)
http://abis.io
Rias

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 03:42:37 PM

I like the idea of Bytecoin community taking care of its own files but I would like to see that distributed too, to be a bit more specific by that, what I mean is this...

1) Github it all (source available from github and linking to it off the bytecoin.org downloads page)
https://github.com/amjuarez/bytecoin

2) A harder step perhaps to examine and implement, but one worth taking a look at, is Gittorrenting this
See: http://blog.printf.net/articles/2015/05/29/announcing-gittorrent-a-decentralized-github/

This can be a good start. I never liked SourceForge and I'm glad it's been replaced with Bytecoin website.
Rias

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 03:45:01 PM

By the way, the recent Bytecoin blog post is very comprehensive on all major proof-of-work algorithms. It goes from the very basics (Hashcash and other ideas) to Bitcoin's SHA-256, scrypt, X11 and finishes with CryptoNight. It's a great reading indeed, I suggest you to check it out.

The Proof-of-Work in Cryptocurrencies: Brief History

https://bytecoin.org/blog/proof-of-work-part/
https://bytecoin.org/blog/proof-of-work-part-2/
child_harold

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:49:46 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2015, 10:19:01 AM by child_harold

In the past criticisms have been made over some of the crypto used in CN after audits were performed*. Thusly one CN coin changed some of the crypto. This was brought up recently on twitter and Peter Todd's comment reads: "Yup! Rather have cleaned up bad code w/ good crypto over bad crypto..." https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/622081863008436225

My questions to the devs here are:

1) Are the criticisms fair?
2) Has BCN similarly changed some of the crypto used?
3) If not will they? If not, why not?

Many thanks in advance for any responses to these question.

*Im not the most super savvy tech guy but if memory serves the criticisms related to some of the libs used. There is at least one post in BCT detailing this.

Ullo

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 12:08:10 PM

In the past criticisms have been made over some of the crypto used in CN after audits were performed*. Thusly one CN coin changed some of the crypto. This was brought up recently on twitter and Peter Todd's comment reads: "Yup! Rather have cleaned up bad code w/ good crypto over bad crypto..." https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/622081863008436225

*Im not the most super savvy tech guy but if memory serves the criticisms related to some of the libs used. There is at least one post in BCT detailing this.

1) Criticism "after audits were performed" is a little bit vague. For my current knowledge nobody has published a full review of Bytecoin/CryptoNote cryptography or code (except for Monero's peer review of CryptoNote whitepaper, but it was generally positive). If there was a specific paper or comment, I may come up with a more relevant response.

2) Peter Todd's comment is in line with previous Monero/Dash comparison. I suppose it means that Monero is based on a good cryptography and they're doing code refactoring, while Dash is supposedly based on some weaker cryptography (I'm not going to comment on this here). As for your question, only DigitalNote made any significant changes in the CN cryptography (encrypted messages).

3) Even though Bytecoin has made tons of code refactoring in the past few months, there were no significant cryptographic changes. However, in the upcoming release 1.0.6 there going to be a substantial crypto improvement. We'll cover that once the release is ready.

I hopes this clarifies your doubts.

Bytecoin BCN core team: https://bytecoin.org/
child_harold

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 02:20:02 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2015, 03:32:46 PM by child_harold

1) Criticism "after audits were performed" is a little bit vague. For my current knowledge nobody has published a full review of Bytecoin/CryptoNote cryptography or code (except for Monero's peer review of CryptoNote whitepaper, but it was generally positive). If there was a specific paper or comment, I may come up with a more relevant response.

2) Peter Todd's comment is in line with previous Monero/Dash comparison. I suppose it means that Monero is based on a good cryptography and they're doing code refactoring, while Dash is supposedly based on some weaker cryptography (I'm not going to comment on this here). As for your question, only DigitalNote made any significant changes in the CN cryptography (encrypted messages).

3) Even though Bytecoin has made tons of code refactoring in the past few months, there were no significant cryptographic changes. However, in the upcoming release 1.0.6 there going to be a substantial crypto improvement. We'll cover that once the release is ready.

I hopes this clarifies your doubts.

Sorry for the vagueness. If memory serves then Monero's peer review of the CryptoNote whitepaper is what I was referring to. Maybe somebody can clarify. Assuming it is then whilst generally positive I believe it may have made mention of a few libs etc which would be preferable over the ones originally used.

However the code refactoring and "substantial crypto improvement" you speak of does set my mind at ease re this matter. Could you provide any info or clues about some of these improvements forthcoming in 1.0.6?

Many thanks for your reply.

update: improvements anything to do with this? http://www.texpaste.com/n/xaypn9ni

Ullo

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 06:22:14 PM

Sorry for the vagueness. If memory serves then Monero's peer review of the CryptoNote whitepaper is what I was referring to. Maybe somebody can clarify. Assuming it is then whilst generally positive I believe it may have made mention of a few libs etc which would be preferable over the ones originally used.

However the code refactoring and "substantial crypto improvement" you speak of does set my mind at ease re this matter. Could you provide any info or clues about some of these improvements forthcoming in 1.0.6?

Many thanks for your reply.

In Bytecoin 1.0.6 we are introducing multi-addressing for RPC Wallet to get rid of payment IDs. It is a genuine multi-addressing, not a payment ID included into the address.

From CryptoNote protocol perspective, you have to scan each output with your private keys to learn about an incoming transaction. This poses a challenge for the service that generates a number of addresses as under current crypto protocol this would imply that each output should be scanned for each address which is resource consuming and non-viable on large scale.

Our new approach performs a magic trick (I'll intentionally leave it like this before the release) that allows such a verification to be performed much easier regardless of how many addresses the service has created.

You may expect Bytecoin 1.0.6 release next week, and we'll be covering it in details in our blog.

update: improvements anything to do with this? http://www.texpaste.com/n/xaypn9ni

I've asked seigen to have a look to have a valid answer on this one.

Ullo

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 06:25:08 PM

Bytecoin 1.0.5 update

Bytecoin team has updated Bytecoin Reference Client 1.0.5, Bytecoin RPC Wallet 1.0.5 and Bytecoin Wallet 1.0.5. The update introduces p2p network stability improvements.

You may download the new binaries on Bytecoin website.

seigen

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 10:16:31 AM

I've asked seigen to have a look to have a valid answer on this one.

The proposal by Adam Back does reduce the size of ring signature. In case of large ringsig it maybe roughly two times smaller. However, from asymptotic point of view there is no difference from CryptoNote implementation: it is still a linear dependence O(n).
Cheesus

Activity: 692
Merit: 254

terra-credit.com

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 05:45:59 PM

How the testing is done. by Bytecoin Smiley

https://bytecoin.org/blog/software-testing-process/

We continue to introduce you to Bytecoin development process. In our previous article, "Our Approach to Cryptocurrency Development", we covered the task management and development methodologies that we utilize. Today's article provides an in-depth overview of our testing process.

To recap, we rely on a mix of test-driven development (TDD) and extreme programming (XP). The main idea of XP is to create code in small batches. It allows thinking lean and efficient while avoiding excessively complicated solutions and over-design. For Bytecoin team this approach is aligned with the Test First paradigm. It implies that before producing a line of code, we create a test for it.

███████████████████████
  █████████████████████ 
    ███████████████████ 
      █████████████████ 
███████████████████████
          █████████████ 
            ███████████ 
              █████████ 
                ███████ 
                  ████ 
                    ███ 

terracredit