Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:47:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 [967] 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667061 times)
stslimited

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:23:42 AM

what type of infrastructure?

remittances in the physical world, things that add liquidity to the order books

metadata in transactions to add to the utility of Monero itself
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 03:31:39 AM

i'm sure you can have a field day with the github. 

what would take a "day", would take only a few hours, with documentation

Hrm, yesh - in my reading of the monero monday missives, this lack of documentation is actually what the monero dev team has been dealing with in order to make monero what it is today (I don't have the whole list on the top of my head, because I came late into the game, but a big one for me and my 2 gig linux box is moving the 5 gig blockchain from memory into a database).

So, somewhere, there is notation. I have no idea where. You probably have to get friendly with the dev team. Again, IRC channel. Just idle in their until you see activity or someone responds.

metadata... an example?

I think something cool to develop would be a lite build of ubuntu you could plop onto a 64 gig jump drive with a built in, user friendly GUI wallet. It would sort of work like a cold wallet - whenever you want to move money into / out of your vault, you have to boot onto your liveUSB, which is probably safer.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Blazin604

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:33:27 AM

i'm sure you can have a field day with the github. 

what would take a "day", would take only a few hours, with documentation

Hrm, yesh - in my reading of the monero monday missives, this lack of documentation is actually what the monero dev team has been dealing with in order to make monero what it is today (I don't have the whole list on the top of my head, because I came late into the game, but a big one for me and my 2 gig linux box is moving the 5 gig blockchain from memory into a database).

So, somewhere, there is notation. I have no idea where. You probably have to get friendly with the dev team. Again, IRC channel. Just idle in their until you see activity or someone responds.

metadata... an example?

I think something cool to develop would be a lite build of ubuntu you could plop onto a 64 gig jump drive with a built in, user friendly GUI wallet. It would sort of work like a cold wallet - whenever you want to move money into / out of your vault, you have to boot onto your liveUSB, which is probably safer.

Targeting Spanish speaking countries?

stslimited

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 04:23:59 AM

metadata... an example?

Metadata like OP_RETURN in bitcoin, where assets ownership changes can be associated with a transaction

much like colored coins or counterparty protocols, except on an opaque blockchain
stslimited

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 04:27:30 AM

Again, IRC channel. Just idle in their until you see activity or someone responds.

I do. I've only recently started visiting this thread again more because they don't consistently post missives outside of here on time, I mean, reddit is an afterthought and the title of the IRC channel is as well, they don't consistently talk about the latest database binaries anywhere but here, you wouldn't even have known that there was a consortium of monero research lab people if you didn't come here and follow a clusterfuck bitcointalk thread

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 07:49:59 AM

Again, IRC channel. Just idle in their until you see activity or someone responds.

I do. I've only recently started visiting this thread again more because they don't consistently post missives outside of here on time, I mean, reddit is an afterthought and the title of the IRC channel is as well, they don't consistently talk about the latest database binaries anywhere but here, you wouldn't even have known that there was a consortium of monero research lab people if you didn't come here and follow a clusterfuck bitcointalk thread

Something time friendly that could be splashed through between watching tv or ploughed down in a couple hours? Like this?

www.futurism.co/bitcoin-weekly/

Though I'm a bigger fan when it was sutura and the articles were more easily gathered if you wanted a quick read through. I would think Monero couldn't support 4, but if you included I2P updates and a general article on privacy or innovation you could easily get enough to make it email worthy.

forevernoob

Activity: 687

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 07:55:36 AM

I have question for Monero devs. Or anyone with knowledge I guess.

Do you follow the Bitcoin "hardfork" debate?
Maybe it's just drama but I think it's quite worrying that there is no consensus.

Will we find ourselves in a similar situation with Monero in a couple of years? I guess there is a hard limit on block size now.
Is it big enough to support a large network? If not will a change require a hardfork?

Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 07:56:40 AM

Maybe it's just drama but I think it's quite worrying that there is no consensus.

Will we find ourselves in a similar situation with Monero in a couple of years? I guess there is a hard limit on block size now.
Is it big enough to support a large network? If not will a change require a hardfork?

There is no block size limit in XMR.

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 07:59:10 AM

Correct, but other hard fork issues could certainly turn political. We recently had a months long discussion about changing the emission schedule, and I wouldn't rule out other such disagreements in the future.

A hard protocol-imposed block size and capacity limit is one thing we don't have to worry about.

forevernoob

Activity: 687

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 08:12:51 AM

Correct, but other hard fork issues could certainly turn political. We recently had a months long discussion about changing the emission schedule, and I wouldn't rule out other such disagreements in the future.

A hard protocol-imposed block size and capacity limit is one thing we don't have to worry about.

Ok good to know, I do think emission issues are easier to understand. I personally favor as low inflation as possible. If a hard fork was made that increased the inflation I would just stop using XMR.
The Bitcoin block size issue is just harder for me to comprehend. Not sure what I would do if a hard fork really happened.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 08:16:28 AM

Ok good to know, I do think emission issues are easier to understand. I personally favor as low inflation as possible. If a hard fork was made that increased the inflation I would just stop using XMR.

The discussion wasn't about changing the total supply or overall inflation, but about whether to have more inflation now and less later or vice versa. In any case, no such changes are being considered any more.

The Bitcoin block size issue is just harder for me to comprehend. Not sure what I would do if a hard fork really happened.

You are not alone. I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen.

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 09:37:32 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2015, 10:20:03 AM by rpietila

I personally favor as low inflation as possible. If a hard fork was made that increased the inflation I would just stop using XMR.

At start, XMR's annualized inflation was infinite (everything else would have been a premine).

Then the inflation was very high, 1000s or 100s of % annualized, going down all the time as both the #_of_new_coins was going down (numerator) and #_of_existing_coins was going up (denominator).

The whole of last year, there was talk of normalizing the inflation so that the percentage would be more equal instead of being sky-high in the beginning, and quickly dropping and tending to 0.9%, the yearly minimum.

The plan was dropped after an unanimous vote in the MEW.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 12:29:47 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2015, 12:42:40 PM by GingerAle

metadata... an example?

Metadata like OP_RETURN in bitcoin, where assets ownership changes can be associated with a transaction

much like colored coins or counterparty protocols, except on an opaque blockchain

I don't really understand what the purpose of this would be in an opaque blockchain. You could check the blockchain to confirm that... stealth address XXYY owns that thing?

I guess if you used the view key you could let others know about the colored coin, then it serves the same purpose. Yeah. Private ownership. Would be cool.

Dunno what to tell you though re: devs and documentation and no fancy news reports. I think the "problem" with monero is that its no ones full time job, because there was no pre-mine (so no one entity is hoarding 95% of available coins or whatever), and the coinage doesn't have crazy valuation right now.  Its a chicken and the egg problem. Random people would put more time into developing it to make the currency more useful if it was worth more, and it would be worth more if people could do more with it.

But I'm just using that old timey thing known as patience, and trying to debug whatever I can if I can manage to build any of the development branches.

edited to add: I don't really have a full grasp of what goes on with monero, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. For instance, I just came across the monero support thread. so..... yeah.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 01:12:53 PM

The emission debate was about lowering emission vs keeping the emission the same.  Raising the emission was never discussed and will never be discussed.

thelibertycap

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 01:26:50 PM

32bit monero wallet i can build from sources would be awesome, i could use my old laptop with 32bit linux i have just for wallets.
can i count on using this in couple of weeks?
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 01:55:08 PM

32bit monero wallet i can build from sources would be awesome, i could use my old laptop with 32bit linux i have just for wallets.

Yeah i wanted to ask this yesterday. Thanks for reminding it to me! Can simplewallet run on 32bit linux?
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 02:30:16 PM

Yeah i wanted to ask this yesterday. Thanks for reminding it to me! Can simplewallet run on 32bit linux?

according to this
http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/2ay9lu/where_are_32bit_wallets/

from a while ago, the build script should work on 32 bit.

I would try the standard script found here first:
http://www.monero.cc/getting-started/index.html

GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 02:40:01 PM

moneroblocks.eu guy: (i forget who you were, and don't feel like digging through this thread):

Do you have any other plans for moneroblocks.eu?

I think it'd be awesome if you could essentially clone all of the stuff thats provided on blockchain.info for the bitcoin network.

specifically, I think it'd be awesome to have a list of active peers. or the globe representation of that would be even awesomer. The command line always gives me just an unusable list that bleeds off of my screen and its all "last active" at some point forever ago.

I'll throw 5 xmr your way to make this happen.

I just think it'd be great to see the actual depth of the network. I know there is a boatload of hash, but how many copies of the ledger are out there?

And this should reaallly be integrated into mymonero as a tab or something. I.e., how secure are my transactions if I work with monero? Oh great, here is everything on this fancy web wallet.

even cooler if this stuff is in the GUI. God I can't wait to see that. Seriously, anybody got anything I can debug (that I can actually build? dependencies are a pain if your a guy who just broke the habit of trying to ctrl+c to copy code from terminal)

David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 03:03:01 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2015, 10:04:39 AM by David Latapie

Hello all I am new to XMR...what is your guys vision for this coin?
(update1: added to my blog on xmrmonero)
(update2: published on reddit, already 12 upvotes)

Welcome!

Short (and necessary incomplete) answer: true electronic cash

Long answer:
First why Monero is serious: Why Monero matters?/Prove me that Monero is not yet-another-shitcoin.

You asked about the vision, though. So, I'd say that the three pillars of Monero are privacy, decentralization and scalability.
Now what does it means?

Security
Monero is true electronic cash. With Monero, you can know that a transaction occured, but not whence, how much and whither, whilst it is getting increasingly easy to trace Bitcoin (mixer, tumbler... or not). See this illustration on how it positions compared to Bitcoin and this animation on how it works. Monero is a cryptocurrency that is based on the CryptoNote protocol and reference code, and that seeks to provide absolute transactional privacy (fluffypony).

But Monero is more than a currency. Its official slogan is "secure, private, untraceable" for a reason. Other transactions than the monetary ones benefit from it. You may not want anyone to know you signed this contract. You may not want the forthcoming blockchain-powered internet of thing cloud around you to be accessible by anyone, and this requires an opaque blockchain, that Monero provides.

We hired academic cryptographers to review and improve the security of Monero and started an external audit as well. Even Bitcoin developpers and independant cryptographers (Andrew Poelstra/andytoshi, Gregory Maxwell, Nicolas Courtois) speak high of Monero and Cryptonote.

Finally, security is a chain as strong as its weakest link. What is privacy of the transaction worth if your IP is revealed? This is why we are teaming up with Privacy Solutions to have an i2p router implemented in Monero. IP obfuscation, amount obfuscation (only 1.17262001 XMR was actually sent here), recipient obfuscation, sender obfuscation.

May I remind everyone that privacy is more than drugs and illegality? Are you ready to give everyone (EVERYONE) read access to your bank account? Would your like your ex-wife, your son, your boss, your neigbour or (particularly if you are a company) your competitor to know how much money you have, where it comes from and what you doing with it, forever (and no, multiples addresses or mixers or tumblers just don't work)? Would you like your landlord to know that you just got some money, so s/he can raise the rent? Privacy is also making it possible for journalists fighting for the freedom of press to do their jobs when there are in a dictatorial (or not-so-dictatorial) country. This is also about not being incriminated because your money was tainted (two transactions before, it went from drug dealing, for instance).Countless studies showed that people behave differently when they know they might be watched.

As tacotime (a core team member) said back in April, when Monero was only one week old, Fuck the pump and dumps, we're here to create something with value that people can use.

Decentralization
Despite being decentralised at heart, cryptocurrencies are increasingly centralised. Webwallets, exchanges, pool mining and cloud mining, centralised seedings or masternodes... All of this is susceptible to attacks (both technical or legal - remember that "legal" doesn't necessarily means "legitimate"). Whilst Monero is decentralised mixing.

By contrast, we are trying hard to keep Monero decentralised. Our domain names for the most parts are meant to be resistant to such attacks (gun.io on choosing domain names and registrars). The core team is composed of both public faces (myself and Riccardo Spagni/fluffypony) and private faces (the other core team members) located on various continents with widely different timezones, making sure that core devs are avaialble 24/7. This extends to technology too. When implementing something, we keep in mind how it will affect decentralisation. And we recently released the first Monero torrent.

The smart mining forthcoming feature will allow transparent CPU mining on your own computer, far from the de facto centralisation of mining farms and pool mining. We intend to pursue Satoshi's original vision of a true p2p currency. "Get millions of users doing that and it will drive down the value of mining to where neither botnets nor professional/industrial miners will bother, and Satoshi's original vision of a true p2p currency will be realized." (smooth).

Scalability

Monero is meant to stay. Long. This means it must be able to be adopted by anyone, that anyone can use it. Open-source is a given and smart mining participates of it too. But beyond this, we chose a currency code a.ka. ticker symbol (XMR) that adheres to the international monetary standard ISO 4217. We are doing our best to follow technological best practices. Recently, we worked with Kitware to have our Cmake tool adhere to the best practices and we will soon transition to semantic versioning (semver.org). Similarly, the block time, mixin count... are designed (and sometimes redesigned) with long-term scalability in mind.

More importantly maybe, Monero doesn't suffer from some of the inherent flaws of many orther cryptocurrencies. Monero is fair-launched and doesn't have a 1 MB blocksize which limits the ultimate amount of transaction per day. Today, it doesn't matter much, but tomorrow when Monero will be much more popular, this will be instrumental in ensuring that Monero can continue to grow - this is the whole point of scalability: it may not matter today, but it does for tomorrow when it will be so hard to change it.

The same consideration are given to the emission curve. We believe (and we are not the only ones), that relying only on transaction fees won't be enough of an incentive for miners (remember: the core of the blockchain is to rely on an economic incentive, because it is not possible to solve the Byzantine Generals' problem with math alone). This is why Monero implements a "tail emission" that will kick off once the main emission is over, in less than eight years.

Scalability is not only about technology. It also about making sure that everyone gets their side of the bargain or else it will be rejected. That's why Monero is also optionally transparent. This means that, on a completely voluntary basis, one can give read access to someone else. Quoting fluffypony on reddit: "A view key can be used to reveal all transactions for an account. This means that companies could still be audited, charities could make their accounts publicly visible, and parents could see what their kids are spending the money on. Additionally, details of a transaction can be revealed via a similar mechanism on a per-transaction basis."

This is also to increase legitimacy that the Monero Economy Workgroup (disclaimer: I am an executive of the MEW) was created (what is MEW? - join MEW). The MEW takes decision (that, granted, the core team is not bound to accept, but refusing a widely adopted decision would cause turmoil) and since the MEW is meant to represent the will of most holders, it will increase legitimacy: something decided by the MEW is something most holders are willing to do. The debate on the emission curve is a perfect example: the MEW unanimously decided to not change the emission curve, and confidence went back immediately. Consistent confidence is part of scalability.

Security, decentralization, scalability. These are the three pillars of Monero. The vision of Monero is to be future-proof and I hope this long reply answered your questions.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
liteon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

I'm a Firestarter!

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 04:02:27 PM

More projects needed.
It's the rite time to start, and that start have to be rapid.

Selling NordVPN account with premium sub - expires 2021! PM me to buy.
Pages: « 1 ... 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 [967] 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: