Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:36:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 1679 1680 1681 1682 1683 1684 1685 1686 1687 1688 1689 1690 1691 1692 [1693] 1694 1695 1696 1697 1698 1699 1700 1701 1702 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667061 times)
ArabMist

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 12:29:06 AM

I've been having this problem again trying to send XMR to ShapeShift.io and having the trade cancelled because the deposit doesn't get confirmed within 10 minutes.

ShapeShift is again not recognizing the unconfirmed deposit transaction (as it does for any other coin) and therefore keeps the 10 minute timer ticking.

Monero is also randomly (but frequently) not including my transactions in the next block, nor the block after that, etc ... for example this latest one has been in the unconfirmed transactions pool for 43 minutes and 19 blocks.

Anybody know what's going on?

Need some help with simplewallet here:

I'm having an ongoing issue where outgoing XMR transfers do not make it into the next block, and sometimes not for several blocks.  This wreaks havoc with ShapeShift because they cancel the transaction if your deposit if it's not confirmed in a block within 10 minutes.

If Monero blocks are not nearly full like Bitcoin and miner fees are automatic, what else could it be?

Example:

Code:
[wallet]: transfer xxx........
Money successfully sent, transaction <xxx........>
[wallet]: bc_height
Height 1085656, transaction <xxx........>, spent xxx........

Why didn't that xfer get included in block 1085654 or 1085655?  Thanks for the help!

I don't know how to answer the question but I had a tx in block 1085656, I wasn't paying much attention but I was surprised it took a few blocks to get confirmed. My only guess is with the rapid increase in activity and hashrate over the past couple days there seems to be a lot of variance at the moment...two blocks found within seconds then 10 minutes between blocks: http://moneroblocks.info/

Notice the tx per block is higher than average: http://moneroblocks.info/stats

I'm sorry to hear that Shapeshift is not recognizing the payment as soon as it hits the tx pool. Use xmr.to. I have communicated with a Shapeshift dev on how to get the payment id from the tx pool but I guess they are too busy or something...

You're not the only one. I gave up on shapeshift a while ago regarding Monero. Plus their customers service wasn't the best so said I'd avoid for the short term.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
imjustsayintho

Activity: 343
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 12:43:18 AM

XSpec now available
https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/Exchange/?market=XSPEC_XMR

▄████▄▄████▄▄████▄
██████▄██████▄██████
██████▀██████▀██████
▀█████▀████▀▀████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▄████▄█████▄▄████▄
██████████████████
██████████████████
▀████▀▀████▀▀████▀
░░░░░░░░░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░
▄████▄▄████▄▄████▄
████████████▄██████
████████████▀██████
▀████▀▀████▀▀████▀

▄████▄
██████▄▄▄▄
██████▀▀▀▀
▀████▀

▄████▄
██████
██████
▀█████
░░░░░░
▄████▄░█████▄
██████░██████▄▄▄
██████░██████▀▀▀
▀████▀░█████▀
░░░░░░
▄█████
██████
██████
▀████▀

░░░░▄████▄
▄▄▄▄██████
▀▀▀▀██████
░░░░▀████▀

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 01:05:00 AM

How much is the initial setup cost for operating 1 XMR node? Ongoing annual costs?

Is it possible to set this up on AWS?

You could probably do it not only on AWS but on a very cheap (free tier) AWS instance or any number of cheap VPS providers. Syncing may be a problem especially on the latter due to high CPU load but if you sync once elsewhere and transfer the database it should be fine,

Or just run one at home, either on your regular computer or an old laptop. Unlike masternodes, XMR nodes do not require a static IP nor particularly high bandwidth at this point (in the future if and when things scale up that's a different story but for now it is easy).
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2017, 02:06:31 AM

How much is the initial setup cost for operating 1 XMR node? Ongoing annual costs?

You could probably do it not only on AWS but on a very cheap (free tier) AWS instance or any number of cheap VPS providers. Syncing may be a problem especially on the latter due to high CPU load but if you sync once elsewhere and transfer the database it should be fine,

Or just run one at home, either on your regular computer or an old laptop. Unlike masternodes, XMR nodes do not require a static IP nor particularly high bandwidth at this point (in the future if and when things scale up that's a different story but for now it is easy).

If you are very price sensitive, an old PC or laptop is the way to go.  That costs nothing except your time.

You may use Netlimiter or similar to shape traffic and keep your bandwidth available for normal use.

http://alternativeto.net/software/netlimiter/

If you can afford $60/year, I had great luck on Vultr (they even let you mine!).  They have colos all over the world.

With this fund matching deal, the cost drops to $30/year.  https://www.vultr.com/match/

If you want to spend a little more and support the network (for The Greater Good), find a region with tons of potential users but few if any XMR nodes.

Right now, my top pick for bang/buck in terms of new users served is India, which has good internal bandwidth but limited external connectivity.

If you have any specialized regional/language skills, use them to figure out a good spot for our next full node.

If you have extra money, setting up a DDOS-protected high-availability node on koddos.net or behind a Cloudflare-type CDN (Mediatemple's and Rackspace's are top notch) makes a great contribution to the network's resiliency.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
cdavid53

Activity: 293
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 08:55:48 AM

Hello

I have monero in my wallet on my pc and I try to send it to cryptopia but I can not get it I understand nothing
Can someone help me?

thank you in advance
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 10:35:38 AM

I've been having this problem again trying to send XMR to ShapeShift.io and having the trade cancelled because the deposit doesn't get confirmed within 10 minutes.

ShapeShift is again not recognizing the unconfirmed deposit transaction (as it does for any other coin) and therefore keeps the 10 minute timer ticking.

Monero is also randomly (but frequently) not including my transactions in the next block, nor the block after that, etc ... for example this latest one has been in the unconfirmed transactions pool for 43 minutes and 19 blocks.

Anybody know what's going on?

Need some help with simplewallet here:

I'm having an ongoing issue where outgoing XMR transfers do not make it into the next block, and sometimes not for several blocks.  This wreaks havoc with ShapeShift because they cancel the transaction if your deposit if it's not confirmed in a block within 10 minutes.

If Monero blocks are not nearly full like Bitcoin and miner fees are automatic, what else could it be?

Example:

Code:
[wallet]: transfer xxx........
Money successfully sent, transaction <xxx........>
Height 1085656, transaction <xxx........>, spent xxx........

Why didn't that xfer get included in block 1085654 or 1085655?  Thanks for the help!

I don't know how to answer the question but I had a tx in block 1085656, I wasn't paying much attention but I was surprised it took a few blocks to get confirmed. My only guess is with the rapid increase in activity and hashrate over the past couple days there seems to be a lot of variance at the moment...two blocks found within seconds then 10 minutes between blocks: http://moneroblocks.info/

Notice the tx per block is higher than average: http://moneroblocks.info/stats

I'm sorry to hear that Shapeshift is not recognizing the payment as soon as it hits the tx pool. Use xmr.to. I have communicated with a Shapeshift dev on how to get the payment id from the tx pool but I guess they are too busy or something...

That's most likely a problem on ShapeShift's end. If you are exchanging XMR for BTC I'd advise to use XMR.to. Note that, if I recall correctly, Shapeshift has stated that they now recognize unconfirmed transactions too, but looking at your issue apparently they don't yet.

Regarding your other issue, see:

https://github.com/monero-project/monero/issues/1630

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 10:40:35 AM

Hello

I have monero in my wallet on my pc and I try to send it to cryptopia but I can not get it I understand nothing
Can someone help me?

thank you in advance

Which wallet are you using?

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
toffoo

Activity: 408
Merit: 261

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 01:59:04 PM

That's most likely a problem on ShapeShift's end. If you are exchanging XMR for BTC I'd advise to use XMR.to. Note that, if I recall correctly, Shapeshift has stated that they now recognize unconfirmed transactions too, but looking at your issue apparently they don't yet.

Thanks for your reply.  ShapeShift did eventually fix this issue (recognizing unconfirmed txs) on their end the last time I had this problem several months ago, but it appears to be broken again.  I've traditionally used them rather than XMR.to because XMR.to's limit used to be so much smaller, but I see now they are more comparable.

As for that other issue, it seems pretty serious.  Am I understanding git correctly that this issue has been found and fixed but not pushed out in a new release yet?  For the two txs of mine that were stuck last night when I posted this, it took HOURS to get confirmed into a block and the unconfirmed pool was up to around 75 txs, also for hours, until it eventually worked itself out.

CryptoRambler

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 06:29:48 PM

If you are very price sensitive, an old PC or laptop is the way to go.  That costs nothing except your time.

You may use Netlimiter or similar to shape traffic and keep your bandwidth available for normal use.

http://alternativeto.net/software/netlimiter/

If you can afford $60/year, I had great luck on Vultr (they even let you mine!).  They have colos all over the world.

With this fund matching deal, the cost drops to $30/year.  https://www.vultr.com/match/

If you want to spend a little more and support the network (for The Greater Good), find a region with tons of potential users but few if any XMR nodes.

Right now, my top pick for bang/buck in terms of new users served is India, which has good internal bandwidth but limited external connectivity.

If you have any specialized regional/language skills, use them to figure out a good spot for our next full node.

If you have extra money, setting up a DDOS-protected high-availability node on koddos.net or behind a Cloudflare-type CDN (Mediatemple's and Rackspace's are top notch) makes a great contribution to the network's resiliency.

Thanks for the info Icebreaker. I will be setting up a few nodes
CryptoRambler

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 06:37:16 PM

Thanks smooth. It sounds pretty straightforward, ready to give it a go 😀
Gb

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 10:48:04 PM

Hi everyone

I am pretty new to Monero but I already love it! I wanted to keep an eye the price and couldn't find an account on Twitter that that tweeted regular updates, so a friend and I made our own account that updates with the latest price every hour:

https://twitter.com/XMRprice

It's taken us a few weeks so if anyone reading this is brimming with XMR and finds this useful, a donation would be so welcome Smiley

Thank you
Gavin

4AG3WxJAWKB1bWejxxCcZbiTEzHS9mizz7GN9VHrWtqCaGRefk1CWTH1oNSD8R7hcPKci9MEvmGYHX7 QBMQHfadEM7s5jzD
ShapeShift.io

Activity: 448
Merit: 252

Follow us on our new account ShapeShift.com

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2017, 11:02:01 PM

Hi, Monero friends! Please read our latest post on Reddit to learn more about order issue problems

"XMR Common Exchange Failure problem discovered and patched"

https://www.reddit.com/r/shapeshiftio/comments/5q6hkn/xmr_common_exchange_failure_problem_discovered/

Follow us on our new profile: ShapeShift.com

perl
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1190

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 12:08:31 AM

Mining to Exchange is now supported
On monero.crypto-pool.fr
Use for username : ADDR.PAYMENTID
You can cummulate with Customs DIFF : ADDR.PAYMENTID+DIFF

P.S Is not April Fool's Smiley
TimeTeller

Activity: 2716
Merit: 588

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 12:28:23 AM

Front Page....  Grin

wow! sounds that XMR has already invaded the drug business trade.  Cheesy
and note that everyone seems to love how this altcoin is being handled.

i for one, is mining this coin.  Grin
jacobmayes94

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 01:08:42 AM

I am offering a super-node hosting service: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1757389.0

0.1 BTC a year for the monero community. This is a node that is hosted on a high bandwith, high speed low latency server. This is a node which will have reliable uptime, but will also allow fast relaying of blocks to other peers if pools have a direct connection to the nodes. For any coin to be listed, I am looking for 0.1 BTC / year per coin. Currently we have a HODLCoin seed node hosted here, which is a great honor!

If the monero community wishes to have a supernode hosted here, which will be kept updated with the latest software, please use this address which is kept track of. Once it reaches 0.1 BTC a supernode will be hosted. Feel free to read the topic and contact the HODLCoin developer for feedback.

Server specification (I have multiples): Quad-Core Xeon, 4GB RAM, 160+GB HDD space, 1Gbps network per server.

Monero supernode funding address: 3EvxxNfMFYNZePZSyJAMQjThdzkFMjrRHu

Thank you!

visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 12:33:02 PM

You need to set up your router to port forward to the machine that you want to connect to. You also need to allow your daemon to accept remote connects (I think by default it only accepts connections from localhost). I don't think there are any privacy implications.

Thanks for the reply. I'm somewhat networking illiterate so the concept of port forwarding escapes me. The following are the fields/settings under "Port Forwarding" in DD-WRT to be filled in/defined:

Application: ?
Protocol: TCP/UDP/Both (drop-down list)
Source Net: ?
Port from: 0
IP Address: 0.0.0.0.
Port to: 0

Which ones go where?

How do I set up the daemon to accept remote connects?

Point to the workstation/pc running the monerod
Code:
./monerod --log-file bitmonerod.log --restricted-rpc  --rpc-bind-ip 0.0.0.0

Thanks. Further questions...if you don't mind:

1. Should I then use my-external-(WAN)-IP-address:18081 instead of localhost:18081 as the daemon address in Monero GUI to remotely connect?

2. Do both p2p server (18080) and rpc server (18081) ports have to be forwarded and enabled in order to remotely connect or just port 18081 (rpc server)?

3. What do "--log-file bitmonerod.log" and "--restricted-rpc" in your arg do?

ComponY

Activity: 241

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 12:37:15 PM

Front Page....  Grin

wow! sounds that XMR has already invaded the drug business trade.  Cheesy
and note that everyone seems to love how this altcoin is being handled.

i for one, is mining this coin.  Grin

It is related to drug dealers lol, but the truth is most monero holders are traders, drug dealers are only a few, at least it is illegal activities.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 01:56:30 PM

Thanks for your reply.  ShapeShift did eventually fix this issue (recognizing unconfirmed txs) on their end the last time I had this problem several months ago, but it appears to be broken again. I've traditionally used them rather than XMR.to because XMR.to's limit used to be so much smaller, but I see now they are more comparable.

As for that other issue, it seems pretty serious.  Am I understanding git correctly that this issue has been found and fixed but not pushed out in a new release yet?  For the two txs of mine that were stuck last night when I posted this, it took HOURS to get confirmed into a block and the unconfirmed pool was up to around 75 txs, also for hours, until it eventually worked itself out.

I contacted them about this a week ago, and told them how to fix the problem. They said they have been prioritizing XMR issues this week, so if it is not yet fixed it should be soon.  In the past, they solved this issue by parsing the payment ID out of the tx_extra in the daemon (a hacky method but there was not a way to get incoming unconfirmed transactions to your wallet via RPC until v10.1 - XMR.to was able to because they had customized their wallet). This parsing method did not work for them after the hard fork.

Now it is possible to get unconfirmed transactions to your wallet by calling the 'get_transfers' method via RPC with the params {pool: true}. In monero-wallet-cli the command is 'show_transfers pool'.

Chicken76

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 01:58:27 PM

I've been doing just that for a long time and up until a few weeks ago I used to see a pin on this map: https://monerohash.com/nodes-distribution.html (only one with a node in my town)
Now I don't see it anymore. I've checked the daemon and it seems to be doing fine, have even restarted it, just in case.
How can I tell if it is actually part of the network, if I am helping Monero with my node, or just wasting energy and bandwidth?
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
January 26, 2017, 02:44:04 PM

I've been doing just that for a long time and up until a few weeks ago I used to see a pin on this map: https://monerohash.com/nodes-distribution.html (only one with a node in my town)
Now I don't see it anymore. I've checked the daemon and it seems to be doing fine, have even restarted it, just in case.
How can I tell if it is actually part of the network, if I am helping Monero with my node, or just wasting energy and bandwidth?

I noticed I dropped off that site's map as well. I assume they can't monitor the whole network anymore, but fairly certain you are still on the network, as I know I am.. Wink

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Pages: « 1 ... 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 1679 1680 1681 1682 1683 1684 1685 1686 1687 1688 1689 1690 1691 1692 [1693] 1694 1695 1696 1697 1698 1699 1700 1701 1702 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: