Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:10:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1621 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 1627 1628 1629 1630 1631 1632 1633 1634 1635 1636 1637 1638 1639 1640 1641 1642 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 [1671] 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 1679 1680 1681 1682 1683 1684 1685 1686 1687 1688 1689 1690 1691 1692 1693 1694 1695 1696 1697 1698 1699 1700 1701 1702 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667229 times)
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 04:06:50 PM

^^^ not at all impressed by what he has to say.

This is impressive... https://bitstats.com/commits

XMR = 1730 commits
DASH = 35 commits
LTC = 16 commits
DOGE = 0 commits

The next time someone calls Monero a shitcoin, send them that. Monero is not just an ordinary altcoin.

What does this mean?

It means how many times someone has contributed to the code. So basically from that list you would say for instance ltc has been updated 16 times. Dogecoin has been edited or updated 0 times. So basically Monero has a very active base of programmers.

Like others have said so its a silly metric because, for instance, one of those commits was me editing the status message from "Sync data returned unknown top block" to "Your node is fine, have a beer, its all OK" or something along those lines, because newcomers were seeing this error message and freaking out.

So is Monero getting everybody drunk a feature or a bug?

I guess btc clones don't need much active development.  Since Monero was created from the cryptonote code base over 2 years ago, most of the code has changed.  So even if some of the changes were simple but useful ones such as your's, I would imagine most of the changes are foundational. 

It seems that development continues apace if not increasing.

Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CTTE

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 05:11:36 PM

XMR = 1730 commits
DASH = 35 commits
LTC = 16 commits
DOGE = 0 commits

The next time someone calls Monero a shitcoin, send them that. Monero is not just an ordinary altcoin.

What does this mean?
It means how many times someone has contributed to the code. So basically from that list you would say for instance ltc has been updated 16 times. Dogecoin has been edited or updated 0 times. So basically Monero has a very active base of programmers.

Like others have said so its a silly metric because, for instance, one of those commits was me editing the status message from "Sync data returned unknown top block" to "Your node is fine, have a beer, its all OK" or something along those lines, because newcomers were seeing this error message and freaking out.

Yeah but, You wouldn't have made that change if other code hadn't been changing as well. Look at poor DOGE, nobody's even bothered to change a comment or anything in the past year!
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 06:43:44 PM

Silicon Valley Monero Meetup [Update]

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/5jesui/silicon_valley_monero_meetup_update/

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
DiCE1904
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2016, 06:51:11 PM

That sure is. I also like the development they are doing here: https://github.com/monero-project/kovri

CryptoRambler

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 09:38:45 PM

That sure is. I also like the development they are doing here: https://github.com/monero-project/kovri

Does anyone know if kovri will/does work with a masternode configuration?
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 10:12:43 PM

Ever since the 0.10.1 update, auto-refresh does not proceed all the way through after logging into my wallet (watch-only). In fact, I'd have to do several more manual refresh in order to finally get caught up as it only goes in spurts each time. Annoying.

Anybody else experiencing this irregularity?

No problems here, windows 10
I don't know if it matters but what OS are you using?

W7. It seems that it only happens when the wallet has an incoming transaction since it was last opened/synced. Otherwise, auto-refresh normally proceeds all the way through until caught up upon logging in. Prior versions never behaved this way.

visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081

View Profile
December 20, 2016, 11:17:27 PM

I think for XMR to gain significant traction/adoption, a user-friendly, secure mobile wallet app in addition to the upcoming GUI release is a must. This will allow users to transact on-the-go (retail payments, P2P trading/exchange, etc.). It would also be valuable to be able to run a local node with it (though I could never get the current Android node PoC to work on my device) or at least the ability to connect to a private and secure "personal" remote node (i.e. running at home).

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 01:58:22 PM

I think for XMR to gain significant traction/adoption, a user-friendly, secure mobile wallet app in addition to the upcoming GUI release is a must. This will allow users to transact on-the-go (retail payments, P2P trading/exchange, etc.). It would also be valuable to be able to run a local node with it (though I could never get the current Android node PoC to work on my device) or at least the ability to connect to a private and secure "personal" remote node (i.e. running at home).

Jaxx mobile wallet is being worked on. https://twitter.com/jaxx_io/status/808352133129113600

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 02:38:29 PM

XMR = 1730 commits
DASH = 35 commits
LTC = 16 commits
DOGE = 0 commits

This only shows, that Monero has still long time to go. It only started running.
canth
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 02:52:36 PM

XMR = 1730 commits
DASH = 35 commits
LTC = 16 commits
DOGE = 0 commits

This only shows, that Monero has still long time to go. It only started running.

Sort of, but it also shows a willingness to innovate and add new features. Look at other cryptonote clones or Bytecoin for that matter - they made a few minor changes and then just moved on to another project. Monero devs through their own internal motivation and a little bit of funding have kept adding new features.

Forget everything else - we're going to see confidential transactions take place on a production blockchain in January. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first for any cryptocurrency - that's no small thing.

KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 04:21:09 PM

Forget everything else - we're going to see confidential transactions take place on a production blockchain in January. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first for any cryptocurrency - that's no small thing.

And CT was invented by Greg Maxwell who works for Blockstream and is helping to "block the stream" of transactions that is *killing* bitcoin... anyone else notice the irony of that here?

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
canth
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 04:32:11 PM

And CT was invented by Greg Maxwell who works for Blockstream and is helping to "block the stream" of transactions that is *killing* bitcoin... anyone else notice the irony of that here?

Conservatism. It's a natural result when a bunch of relatively new millionaires are satisfied with keeping things status quo. Maybe $500 XMR will cause a similar effect, but the good news is that there's so much innovation being packed into the protocol now that Monero will stay ahead of bitcoin in terms of the feature set.

With that said, I hope Greg is proud to see CT put to use somewhere.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2016, 06:32:49 PM

Oh Jesus, it's yet another Bitcoin Obituary.  Don't you ever get tired of making a fool of yourself by predicting/announcing Bitcoin's Imminent Demise®?   Roll Eyes

If GMAX can kill Honey Badger, it never deserved to live.

But he is actually helping (ie playing a major role in) scaling Bitcoin to 1MB, so potential future max_block_size increase may be made on a solid (ie decentralized/diffuse/diverse/resilient) foundation and with maximum foreknowledge/efficiency/effectiveness.

That's why the price just shot past $800 without breaking a sweat.

GMAX has an XMR donation address on his user page:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=11425

In gratitude for his work on Bitcoin, CT, and by extension XMR, I'll be sending him a token Annual Gift and encourage all my fellow Mustangs to do the same.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
KeyJockey

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 10:04:56 PM

Oh Jesus, it's yet another Bitcoin Obituary...

LOL IceBreaker... over-react much?

I never said BTC "obit" here... only maybe possible that 'something else' COULD be the version-2.0 winner IF first-mover advantage doesn't prevail.

Just like almost every other disruptive tech in the last couple decades has had happen to it, (i.e. VHS/Beta, Win/Mac, Facebook/MySpace, etc)... AmIRite?. IF only BTC is the final true HoneyBadger permanent winner of the crypto revolution it will be an exception to the rule (and possibly the first time it's ever happened that way, actually?  Anyone have an example of a prior instance?)

My own position in crypto overall is still heavily favored to HoneyBadger but I'm just lately thinking of maybe re-balance things a LITTLE more in favor of HoneyPony, just 'cuz... ya know... seems like XMR has a lotta momentum these days and a move from $10 to $20 in XMR ain't that unlikely while a move from $800 (today) to $1600 in BTC would represent a crazy-new ATH, and all hell would probably break loose if that actually happened anytime in the next few months?

Anyway... your protestations here and elsewhere to the idea that BTC may be a little "in trouble" sound to me a bit like "Methinks The Lady Doth Protest Too Much"... or whistling past the graveyard a tad...?  hmm?  

Just sayin' brother... ya know, maybe don't get TOO emotionally invested in any one investment vehicle there buddy... LOL

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 10:11:21 PM

Ledger Journal has released its first edition and the first paper is Ring Confidential transactions by the Monero Research Lab

http://www.ledgerjournal.org/ojs/index.php/ledger/issue/view/2

Bitfinex allows verified users and investors to speed up their Monero deposits

https://www.bitfinex.com/posts/179

[GUIDE] Monero Cold Storage, Monitoring, and Spending Guide (MS Windows) - Part 1: Creating The Wallet - by JollyMort

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/5jhoij/guide_monero_cold_storage_monitoring_and_spending/

OpenBazaar 1.1.10 Released – Purchase with Ether, Monero and More Via ShapeShift.io Integration

https://blog.openbazaar.org/openbazaar-1-1-10-released-purchase-with-ether-monero-and-more-via-shapeshift-io-integration/

"Monero is the currency Bitcoin tried to be"

http://wmstudios.com.au/index.php/news/blog/102-monero-is-the-currency-bitcoin-tried-to-be

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 11:58:13 PM

Oh Jesus, it's yet another Bitcoin Obituary...

You shouldn't write such retarded posts. Its fine to be ignorant, but you shouldn't put it on display with your stunning display of arrogance.

But that's why you sit on the sidelines with conspiracy theories and people with actual knowledge like gmaxwell are out there changing the world. You know as little about scaling as you know about confidential transactions, but you figured out how gmaxwell and his evil minions figured out how to fool every bitcoin developer into "crippeling" bitcoin for the sake a unknown buisness model from a company you know nothing about.

When was the last time you visisted the core slack channel? You know, where the actual ppl you badmouth, including the president of said company, hang out and will answer any question you have. Not that you have any, because you lack any knowlegde on the subject.

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2016, 01:55:05 AM

Greg Maxwell is *killing* bitcoin!!!111!!1!

Oh Jesus, it's yet another Bitcoin Obituary...  Roll Eyes

You shouldn't write such retarded posts. Its fine to be ignorant, but you shouldn't put it on display with your stunning display of arrogance.

But that's why you sit on the sidelines with conspiracy theories and people with actual knowledge like gmaxwell are out there changing the world. You know as little about scaling as you know about confidential transactions, but you figured out how gmaxwell and his evil minions figured out how to fool every bitcoin developer into "crippeling" bitcoin for the sake a unknown buisness model from a company you know nothing about.

When was the last time you visisted the core slack channel? You know, where the actual ppl you badmouth, including the president of said company, hang out and will answer any question you have. Not that you have any, because you lack any knowlegde on the subject.

Ouch.  That's even harsher than what I would have said.  Good job!   Grin

KeyJockey is backpedaling; he knows making yet another virtue signaling 'zomg gmax is *killing* bitcoin' statement is functionally equivalent to writing a Bitcoin Obituary.

Besides his stellar work on BTC, Gmax has given us CT and put an XMR address in his profile.

But that's not good enough for the pro-contentious hardfork crowd.  They demand every knee must bend to their God of Fake Scaling, on pain of hearing ad infinitum their bleating/doomsaying/defamation/conspiracy.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
KeyJockey

View Profile
December 22, 2016, 02:44:28 AM

OMG, you guys.... srsly? LOL

I never said/meant anything at all like what you're saying I said. My only point was simply that *maybe* BTC won't end up being the final crypto that "wins"!

Everything else that both you guys say elsewhere appears to agree with that, right?  After all, isn't this usually a large reason why *anyone* gets interested in XMR (or other alts) in the first place?  So... WTF really?

Geez, so sorry that I "insulted" Greg, your hero, or something I guess.  LOL

Methinks (still) The Ladies Doth Protest Too Much...  Tongue

P.S. {Edit} Go ahead and reply more if y'all want but this is stupid & I ain't gonna play any more anyway.  Whatever  Kiss

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2016, 03:57:07 AM
Last edit: December 22, 2016, 06:50:26 PM by iCEBREAKER

OMG, you guys.... srsly? LOL

I never said/meant anything at all like what you're saying I said. My only point was simply that *maybe* BTC won't end up being the final crypto that "wins"!

Everything else that both you guys say elsewhere appears to agree with that, right?  After all, isn't this usually a large reason why *anyone* gets interested in XMR (or other alts) in the first place?  So... WTF really?

Geez, so sorry that I "insulted" Greg, your hero, or something I guess.  LOL

Methinks (still) The Ladies Doth Protest Too Much...  Tongue

P.S. {Edit} Go ahead and reply more if y'all want but this is stupid & I ain't gonna play any more anyway.  Whatever  Kiss

You said "Maxwell is *killing* bitcoin."

That's the same thing as a Bitcoin Obituary.

Own it.

And BTW, an eyeroll emoji is hardly "overreacting" or "protesting too much" but by all means continue characterizing as somehow inappropriate my disputation of your doom-mongering if that helps you cope with the unbearable 1MB status quo.   Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2211
Merit: 3178

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
December 22, 2016, 11:56:57 AM

https://bitcoinbabeau.wordpress.com/2016/12/21/alphabay-comments-on-bitcoin-congestion-monero-adoption-and-zcash-possibilities/

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
Pages: « 1 ... 1621 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 1627 1628 1629 1630 1631 1632 1633 1634 1635 1636 1637 1638 1639 1640 1641 1642 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 [1671] 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 1679 1680 1681 1682 1683 1684 1685 1686 1687 1688 1689 1690 1691 1692 1693 1694 1695 1696 1697 1698 1699 1700 1701 1702 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: