Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:59:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667061 times)
mannie

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 01:10:39 AM

Is there anything unique about Monero? It seems to have just added cryptonote and that's it. What's to stop 50 coins doing the same and having better marketing?

There are already 4 Cryptonote coins: https://cryptonote.org/coins.php

There seems to be a big danger of dilution without some unique developments.

Fantomcoin: http://fantomcoin.org/

Quazarcoin: http://quazarcoin.org/

Aren't they just the same as Monero?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Keyboard-Mash

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 01:10:47 AM

Anyone care to visualize a turd being polished?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYJwen53cII

Actually, I like this video. Thanks for linking it.

It correctly describes the same type of work and tremendous effort that will undoubtedly be required for this protocol to succeed.

I can only hope that both CyptoNote, and any CN coin (MRO, BCN or any other CN coin included) can put themselves in a light that invites such fantastic minds, and excellent people, as the BitCoin protocol has done.

It's not a light undertaking, what we have laying ahead of us, and if there ever was to be some form of mutual recognition that could possibly be fostered by the BTC core community .. it wouldn't be wasted on this protocol.

CryptoNote has handed us everything, for which we owe them everything. Let's hope that their efforts will not be squandered.

Let's start first by paying them back by providing the same allure that BitCoin held and continues to hold to this day. The market can wait for another day or year or forever. There's something fascinating here, and that's good enough for me right now.

AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 01:15:42 AM

The entire idea of free and open source is ripping off someone else's hard work. That's why I would never release code I'm proud of under a license like the GPL.

Nobody said you can't rip-off stuff. You can do it alright, but you'll face the consequences of self-limitation into parasitic mentality. That's especially true when you do it in a way where you aren't really taking something to improve it technically, but rather cloning it and re-branding it to achieve your own financial advantage.

Your idea of what the subconscious says, however, is ridiculous. You're trying to say that everyone's subconscious mind believes stealing means that the thief is pathetic, which is absurd.

It's not my "idea". It's how the mind operates. Ask, for example, a hypnotist about presuppositions, and how he uses them to slip the affirmations and suggestions he wants directly to the subconscious.

The human mind produces dual thoughts, not single thoughts. For every thought or action, there is an implied thought. The implied thought tends to go unnoticed (unless one is trained to observe them - which is not difficult, it just takes time) and when it goes unnoticed it then becomes subconscious programming since it goes down uncontested.

Humans are taught that if they can do evil and get away with it they are ok. They will never get away from their own implied self-programming that says "if I harmed others to advance myself, then apparently I'm unable to advance myself on my own powers -> therefore I have no powers". Self-sabotaging. If there is anything like "karma" or "hell" or "divine punishment", this is it. But it's not performed by some higher power. It's performed by us.

Be virtuous and expand yourself. Be a scam and limit yourself.
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 01:25:13 AM

We've contributed a massive amount to the infrastructure of the coin so far, enough to get recognition from cryptonote, including optimizing their hashing algorithm by an order of magnitude, creating open source pool software, and pushing several commits correcting issues with the coin that eventually were merged into the ByteCoin master. We also assisted some exchange operators in helping to support the coin.

To say that has no value is a bit silly... We've been working alongside the ByteCoin devs to improve both coins substantially.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 01:29:42 AM

The Bytecoin devs, for whatever reason, have been dicking around for quite some time. Completely ignoring the "premine", many of us were simply getting tired of waiting for things to happen. We were also tired of the unresponsiveness and cryptic bullshit on part of the BCN developers. This by itself is what started talks of forking. It's quite amusing how BCN followers have suddenly appeared out of nowhere and BCN work has sprung to life now that MRO has gained traction.
Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 01:42:17 AM

We've contributed a massive amount to the infrastructure of the coin so far, enough to get recognition from cryptonote, including optimizing their hashing algorithm by an order of magnitude, creating open source pool software, and pushing several commits correcting issues with the coin that eventually were merged into the ByteCoin master. We also assisted some exchange operators in helping to support the coin.

To say that has no value is a bit silly... We've been working alongside the ByteCoin devs to improve both coins substantially.

I recognize that the work you've done is nothing trivial. It's more than I could possibly hope to contribute in a lifetime. Right now I'm here to try calm some egos by keeping my mind set on the call for this.

My worry is that I come here and we're fighting with DarkCoin supporters and there's active FUD from a public voice on the Poloniex trollbox that people should be buying this instead, from a public voice nonetheless.

It's not a marketcap that will be able to pay for the type of minds necessary for this to go the distance. You have to know that, as you've certainly been privy to creating something fantastic yourself with MC2. My point is that, I don't think these are the type of people that can be bribed with just a few coins and a high marketcap.

My worries are not with you at all, and never will be. You've more than proven yourself. I worry for anyone that comes here and immediately thinks this is a pump and dump and then leaves with those thoughts, or has nothing better to contribute than petty misunderstandings that get blown out of proportion. Specifically I worry most when people like gmaxwell come by and are left with no choice but to skip right over because of misunderstandings or misrepresentation.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 01:49:32 AM

Is there anything unique about Monero? It seems to have just added cryptonote and that's it. What's to stop 50 coins doing the same and having better marketing?

There are already 4 Cryptonote coins: https://cryptonote.org/coins.php

There seems to be a big danger of dilution without some unique developments.

Fantomcoin: http://fantomcoin.org/

Quazarcoin: http://quazarcoin.org/

Aren't they just the same as Monero?

Slight differences but not enough to bother with in my opinion. Compared to those you are better off just sticking with Monero at this point. I'd say that even if I weren't involved with Monero, and I have said so with respect to other shitcoins. However, you should make your own judgement about whether their changes are worthwhile and likely to get any kind of traction.
sirsmokesalot

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 01:53:37 AM

The entire idea of free and open source is ripping off someone else's hard work. That's why I would never release code I'm proud of under a license like the GPL.

Nobody said you can't rip-off stuff. You can do it alright, but you'll face the consequences of self-limitation into parasitic mentality. That's especially true when you do it in a way where you aren't really taking something to improve it technically, but rather cloning it and re-branding it to achieve your own financial advantage.

Your idea of what the subconscious says, however, is ridiculous. You're trying to say that everyone's subconscious mind believes stealing means that the thief is pathetic, which is absurd.

It's not my "idea". It's how the mind operates. Ask, for example, a hypnotist about presuppositions, and how he uses them to slip the affirmations and suggestions he wants directly to the subconscious.

The human mind produces dual thoughts, not single thoughts. For every thought or action, there is an implied thought. The implied thought tends to go unnoticed (unless one is trained to observe them - which is not difficult, it just takes time) and when it goes unnoticed it then becomes subconscious programming since it goes down uncontested.

Humans are taught that if they can do evil and get away with it they are ok. They will never get away from their own implied self-programming that says "if I harmed others to advance myself, then apparently I'm unable to advance myself on my own powers -> therefore I have no powers". Self-sabotaging. If there is anything like "karma" or "hell" or "divine punishment", this is it. But it's not performed by some higher power. It's performed by us.

Be virtuous and expand yourself. Be a scam and limit yourself.

Thankfully  Cheesy

My favorite part of the whole thing is that those people are often so oblivious as to what is taking place. Sorta fun to watch.

We can't grow when we won't criticize ourselves!
-->>>Unobtanium - The crypto you keep!<<<--
Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 01:54:47 AM

The Bytecoin devs, for whatever reason, have been dicking around for quite some time. Completely ignoring the "premine", many of us were simply getting tired of waiting for things to happen. We were also tired of the unresponsiveness and cryptic bullshit on part of the BCN developers. This by itself is what started talks of forking. It's quite amusing how BCN followers have suddenly appeared out of nowhere and BCN work has sprung to life now that MRO has gained traction.

Every time I hear of the total amount of coins mined in Bytecoin, a nice quote comes to mind:

Quote from: CryptoNote
Cryptonote isn't a cult.
It isn't a government, it isn't banks.
It isn't Satoshi Nakamoto.

Their reference to Satoshi Nakamoto has been attributed to the million or so BTC that is supposedly held. My own understanding of this quote is that we have no Satoshi here. There is no axe over our heads waiting to self-destruct everything on one random day in the future.

That won't happen here, and that's fundamentally why I support this coin over an alternative (well, that plus Tacotime and everyone else jumping on board Smiley ). No one man, or small group, has that many coins. Simple as that for me. No need to come up with fancy names for it.
Coindacioius

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 01:56:07 AM

HOLY FORK!

http://coinmarketcap.com/#BTC
surfer43

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 01:57:16 AM

Finally!  Smiley

If they added BCN right now it would be laughably in the top 5.  Roll Eyes
blaaaaacksuit

Activity: 280

Who cares?

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:00:26 AM

Oh good!  Why isn't it in 2nd place yet?  Grin
Coindacioius

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:02:40 AM

FORK ME!!

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:03:33 AM

Form whatever opinions you like but don't be so presumptuous as to claim to know other people's motivations. You don't.

I can't speak for anyone else but in my case there is no financial advantage. I was already making a lot of money mining bytecoin, both keeping some of the coins I mined and selling some. (In fact this was the first clue it was a scam, because a coin in widespread adoption with stores and services using it and thousands of nodes on the network, as claimed, should not have been that easy to mine.) If bytecoin had been successful in terms of adoption, I would have done extremely well. In fact I still have some of those coins, and I'd still do extremely well if bytecoin somehow managed to make it. When Monero started, and for quite some time (really until the recent value jump), my BCN holdings dwarfed by MRO holdings.

What I saw from BCN was not just a premine but also an extremely dishonest scam to try to "sell" the premine as being something other than what it was. I also saw what was very likely an organized campaign of sock puppets and FUD intended to block the community from figuring out what was actually going on and putting a stop to it. That rubbed me the wrong way and encouraged me to focus my efforts elsewhere, even though initially that was to my own personal financial disadvantage.

I'm funny that way. I will speak out even when it is to my disadvantage when I feel something is just not right. Perhaps you have seen some of that here.

As I have said before, the bytecoin developers are welcome here. If they want to develop the technology they are free to do so, here, without a hidden 80% premine. This was not an attempt to steal anything from them, it was just a relaunch of an otherwise good coin without a premine scam, nothing more. They can have everything they had with BCN, except 150 billion coins stashed away somewhere. If they choose not to participate, then we will continue to build a team of interested and highly qualified developers and move on without them.

Polycoin

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:20:05 AM

FORK ME!!

LAME, that's only 2million marketcap in USD. Trying to make it seem big.

THIS coin is just a fork, nothing Innovative about it, besides being a fork/clone of Bytecoin. Join the Bytecoin community instead, but don't entertain forks...

Polycoin Troopers, Assemble!
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:22:38 AM

Can someone ask the folks behind coinmarketcap to also add https://cryptonote.exchange.to/market/mro/btc

240 BTC volume there is not being accounted for.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:23:53 AM

I don't think that mining software (clients, pools), or supporting exchanges to add monero "count" as coin-tech development. Bugfixes, more so.

If they added BCN right now it would be laughably in the top 5.  Roll Eyes

It would be filtered out due to premine. So no top5.

As I have said before, the bytecoin developers are welcome here. If they want to develop the technology they are free to do so, here, without a hidden 80% premine. This was not an attempt to steal anything from them, it was just a relaunch of an otherwise good coin without a premine scam, nothing more.

The problem is that you telling them what to do, and where to be, when they've made the coin is ...problematic. You can't put them in a box and tell them these are the rules you'll play with. They made the coin. Don't you get it? They have immense power compared to clones because they can relaunch tomorrow a new coin with cryptonote tech V2 or something and pull the carpet underneath the clones big time. It will be like obsoleting "v1" and rendering it useless. It's their nuke option. They had two years to think of problems in their implementation, saying "ah, if we made the coin now, we'd do that in a different way". The potential for improvement should be significant for a reboot or a new coin by the same devs.

As I see it, having MRO take everything and upsetting the BCN devs by capitalizing on their work can backfire big time as they might "nuke" the clones and go with a V2 which heavily improves on V1. And then it's game over.

Personally I'm on the Dark train, but have some MROs just in case - keeping in mind the above. I like the prospects of the anonymous market in general, and I am holding more than one anon coins so as to be properly positioned and hedged, but the fact that MROs fortune is dependent on what BCN developers will do (because they are the innovators and first movers) is unsettling for escalating any investment.
Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:24:28 AM

THIS coin is just a fork, nothing Innovative about it, besides being a fork/clone of Bytecoin. Join the Bytecoin community instead, but don't entertain forks...

That's pretty rude guy. There's a lot of people here trying to get things done. Who are you, Mr. Satoshi?

Please don't pick on us, this isn't 4chan. I'm sorry nobody can find you a reason to like us (we've tried a lot), but maybe you'll reconsider in the future Sad
Coindacioius

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:31:01 AM

Dat volume doe
Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:31:21 AM

I don't think that mining software (clients, pools), or supporting exchanges to add monero "count" as coin-tech development. Bugfixes, more so.
It was Taco himself and a few others that were in IRC a couple days after launch, working on a fix for the stuck blockchain. He's not only come through with bugfixes, he's been the major part of why we're still here today. It seems pretty rude to just put that down, when he's the one that stepped up.

The problem is that you telling them what to do, and where to be, when they've made the coin is ...problematic. You can't put them in a box and tell them these are the rules you'll play with. They made the coin. Don't you get it? They have immense power compared to clones because they can relaunch tomorrow a new coin with cryptonote tech V2 or something and pull the carpet underneath the clones big time. It will be like obsoleting "v1" and rendering it useless. It's their nuke option. They had two years to think of problems in their implementation, saying "ah, if we made the coin now, we'd do that in a different way". The potential for improvement should be significant for a reboot or a new coin by the same devs.

As I see it, having MRO take everything and upsetting the BCN devs by capitalizing on their work can backfire big time as they might "nuke" the clones and go with a V2 which heavily improves on V1. And then it's game over.

Personally I'm on the Dark train, but have some MROs just in case - keeping in mind the above. I like the prospects of the anonymous market in general, and I am holding more than one anon coins so as to be properly positioned and hedged, but the fact that MROs fortune is dependent on what BCN developers will do (because they are the innovators and first movers) is unsettling for escalating any investment.

You came here with misinformation, CryptoNote made the coin. Bytecoin is the recent name they've given to the project. It was on the hidden site, so try finding it. But it seems like you have contact with them ... because you have a clear understanding of what they want. Maybe just ask them and not us? You're sharing your speculations with us, but you should be talking to them. They need the help, so please send them an email.
Pages: « 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: