Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:30:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 [895] 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667061 times)
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 09:15:11 PM

As a geneticist, I can tell you this would be difficult to pull off - "interpret your genome" is the crux of the problem here.

Don't do the hard part.  Do the easy part.  It's incredibly easy to warn people with haplotypes associated with breast cancer risk, for example.  You will save a lot of lives.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 09:17:27 PM

I can just imagine some cigar smoking wine twirling upper eschelon type smugly thinking to himself "I'm enjoying this MP3 of which there are only 15 copies in the world."

lol.. guess who?  Grin
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2014, 09:26:48 PM

GingerAle what is a current price for a full human genome? 15 years ago it was a mega project but i assume that now it is commercially viable. Or am i mistaken?

btw something like this, where anonymity is generally favorable, could also one day accept monero:
https://www.ecstasydata.org/send_sample.php
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2014, 09:32:44 PM

As a geneticist, I can tell you this would be difficult to pull off - "interpret your genome" is the crux of the problem here.

Don't do the hard part.  Do the easy part.  It's incredibly easy to warn people with haplotypes associated with breast cancer risk, for example.  You will save a lot of lives.

Indeed.... warn them.... then what will they do? Not to spiral the monero thread into genetic medicine ethics, but yeah.... what? Increased screenings? Don't smoke? Eat healthier? One of the buzzwords in the field is "actionable". How actionable are the results of genetic testing? If they tell you that you have an increased risk, but there's nothing you can do, then all you've done is stress out the individual about something they can't do a damned thing about.

I'm really playing devils advocate here - I'm pro information when it comes to genetic testing, but I get the other side of the monero as well.

(oh the puns)

And I'll admit I'm not up to speed on breast cancer therapeutics.

But back to finding an application of a nascent private cryptocurrency....

not that I'm a fan of tax evasion, but transferring money to tax havens?

GingerAle what is a current price for a full human genome? 15 years ago it was a mega project but i assume that now it is commercially viable. Or am i mistaken?

btw something like this, where anonymity is generally favorable, could also one day accept monero:
https://www.ecstasydata.org/send_sample.php

It depends on the coverage... i.e., how strong you want the data to be. But the number thrown around is around $5k, steadily decreasing. And mind you, this is for sequencing the entire genome.

But SNP chips (what 23&me is) is around 100$.

Good idea on the ecstasydata.org .... I wonder if erowid accepts donations in monero?

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 11:06:36 PM

FYI it was just confirmed in the Poloniex trollbox that the withdrawal fee for XMR will remain unchanged at 0.1
bclcjunkie

Activity: 833

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 01:46:50 AM

once wallet and api extensions are fully matured pharma industry will indeed present explosive future for monero... drug market that really works, saves money and yet cheap is always going to be banned under pretext of cooked up "unknown risks" and fda will follow whatever pharmas tell them to do... anyway this is old news for most of us but here's another confirmation how shadier fda and big pharmas are becoming...

http://libertyblitzkrieg.com/2014/12/08/how-doctors-prescribing-meds-based-on-drug-company-payoffs-is-further-evidence-of-systemic-failure/

and this is how big pharma mafia works to crush alternatives...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545360/Pharmaceutical-chief-tries-stop-India-replicating-cancer-treatment.html

so now imagine if you're in a country with FDA like regime and be able to order cheap drugs from India or Thailand using monero... someone could start this venture easily in thailand since startup costs are extremely cheap over there and a lot of expats moved to thailand for reasons like that, in fact some of them are making good money exporting pharmaceuticals... not familiar with india but thailand is very open to foreigners who would like to start a business...

Someone should really make a monero based drug market

My suggestion for an easy to set-up, and probably quite profitable XMR business:  Set up an offshore site which will interpret your genome.  In the U.S. businesses like 23 & Me will provide you with data on your genetic markers from a swab, but the FDA forbids them to report on your genetic risks.  It is easy to automate the process of generating a report from the data.

When the wallet will support enough features, I have no doubt the darknet community will adopt Monero.
Just wait.

fox19891989

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 01:49:28 AM

Inflation is a serious issue, I am afraid it may kill XMR
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 01:50:12 AM

How am I spinning anything?

You can read all about it in their thread, please don't bring it here.

ZOMG TacoTime is working on another coin - MOENARO IS DOOMT!!!11!!1

ZOMG Sunny King is working on another coin - PEERCONE IS DOOMT ALLSO!!!11!!1

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 01:53:34 AM

How am I spinning anything?

You can read all about it in their thread, please don't bring it here.

ZOMG TacoTime is working on another coin - MOENARO IS DOOMT!!!11!!1

ZOMG Sunny King is working on another coin - PEERCONE IS DOOMT ALLSO!!!11!!1

David Latapie works on HYP

I patched AEON.

Satoshi created Bytecoin (just kidding).

Nothing to see here.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 01:54:17 AM

Sure, but what doesn't kill XMR makes it stronger.

We must navigate between Scylla and Charybda to reach the BTC/AU Parity Parties at Monero Manor.

/antifragile

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 04:59:50 AM

I've been trying to think of something that utilizes the fact that the block chain keeps track of things that are unique. Imagine a way to have digital collectors items. Your an artist, and you want to put out a limited edition... MP3 file. You somehow join the MP3 with a cryptographic something, and create 15 of them (similar to how the algorithm creates coins). Then, there can only be 15 of these MP3's out there on the network. Whether this would mean the wallet would have to also be a media player, I don't know.

I can just imagine some cigar smoking wine twirling upper eschelon type smugly thinking to himself "I'm enjoying this MP3 of which there are only 15 copies in the world." Of course, this would depend on the artist community adhering to a limited edition pressing of their works... and I imagine the artists would be the ones invested in whatever the "mining" component of this network would be.
Okay, the (oh the puns) first: "Monero GUI development would be way to slow for keeping a media player up to date"  Grin

Back on track: Coins exist where the wallet has an inbuilt messenger or phone call App or video conferencing subsystem. Since "sex sells" the later has a market nieche for pron live cams. However, so far, they never do well, just from current observation. Somehow dont get the consumer acceptance inside the crypto realm.
My suggestion is a coin should do one thing, and that only, and in perfection, and with simplicity. And now I get a migraine because of having to start simplewallet for a transfer  Undecided
nuxxer

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 10:01:25 AM

please buy more
shojayxt
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 10:18:46 AM

I've tried everything.  These are old wallets from way back before last summer.  I don't remember how much exactly is in them but I think one has 1000 XMR.   Can a wallet be to old to open? 

I think you need to rebuild from keys file using an older version of binary, maybe 0.8.8.4, and then it should work on newer versions as well. Either that or wait for next release, this wallet formatting issue is being addressed now in #monero-dev, and should be corrected in next release.

That's exactly what I did and it worked.

Thanks
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484

Still wild and free

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 10:24:11 AM

My suggestion for an easy to set-up, and probably quite profitable XMR business:  Set up an offshore site which will interpret your genome.  In the U.S. businesses like 23 & Me will provide you with data on your genetic markers from a swab, but the FDA forbids them to report on your genetic risks.  It is easy to automate the process of generating a report from the data.

Lets set up a company in Estonia.

As a geneticist, I can tell you this would be difficult to pull off - "interpret your genome" is the crux of the problem here. This is why 23 & me was shut down - there's no consensus on what current consumer-grade genotyping can provide relating to disease. Thats why you can still do 23 & me for "fun" things, like ancestry. Indeed, there's a whole new trade of genetic counseling coming into existence for this exact reason. Say you have a polymorphism that has been associated with parkinsons. What does that mean to you? Well, the SNP is associated with X% of risk.... so........ you have X% greater likelihood of developing the disease.

Sure, it would be easy to set up something where you can just get your hard data and interpret yourself, but we're talking serious scientific frontiers here.

Indeed, this would be something where an encrypted message/key network would be useful. Send monero and DNA to somewhere. Assays performed. Encrypted genomic analysis sent to some server. Encryption key sent to monero address. User enter encryption key to unlock DNA data. Of course, there is a cryptonote cc with encrypted messages out there that I won't mention.

I've been trying to think of something that utilizes the fact that the block chain keeps track of things that are unique. Imagine a way to have digital collectors items. Your an artist, and you want to put out a limited edition... MP3 file. You somehow join the MP3 with a cryptographic something, and create 15 of them (similar to how the algorithm creates coins). Then, there can only be 15 of these MP3's out there on the network. Whether this would mean the wallet would have to also be a media player, I don't know.

I can just imagine some cigar smoking wine twirling upper eschelon type smugly thinking to himself "I'm enjoying this MP3 of which there are only 15 copies in the world." Of course, this would depend on the artist community adhering to a limited edition pressing of their works... and I imagine the artists would be the ones invested in whatever the "mining" component of this network would be.

Unicity of tokens is only enforced within the blockchain. Outside of it, in the rest of the digital realm, replication of information is free. So your unique MP3 idea is not feasible.
Which is positive in my opinion, what you describe is like a super-DRM.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
sucksyd

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 10:40:56 AM

My suggestion for an easy to set-up, and probably quite profitable XMR business:  Set up an offshore site which will interpret your genome.  In the U.S. businesses like 23 & Me will provide you with data on your genetic markers from a swab, but the FDA forbids them to report on your genetic risks.  It is easy to automate the process of generating a report from the data.

Lets set up a company in Estonia.

As a geneticist, I can tell you this would be difficult to pull off - "interpret your genome" is the crux of the problem here. This is why 23 & me was shut down - there's no consensus on what current consumer-grade genotyping can provide relating to disease. Thats why you can still do 23 & me for "fun" things, like ancestry. Indeed, there's a whole new trade of genetic counseling coming into existence for this exact reason. Say you have a polymorphism that has been associated with parkinsons. What does that mean to you? Well, the SNP is associated with X% of risk.... so........ you have X% greater likelihood of developing the disease.

Sure, it would be easy to set up something where you can just get your hard data and interpret yourself, but we're talking serious scientific frontiers here.

Indeed, this would be something where an encrypted message/key network would be useful. Send monero and DNA to somewhere. Assays performed. Encrypted genomic analysis sent to some server. Encryption key sent to monero address. User enter encryption key to unlock DNA data. Of course, there is a cryptonote cc with encrypted messages out there that I won't mention.

Unicity of tokens is only enforced within the blockchain. Outside of it, in the rest of the digital realm, replication of information is free. So your unique MP3 idea is not feasible.
Which is positive in my opinion, what you describe is like a super-DRM.

why do you think the future is positive?
all the thoughts the dev described are beaten by facts and other dev such as stellar ,ripple and xcp .come back to reality.
Quicken

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 10:41:04 AM

Poloniex went dead for me a few minutes ago. There is nothing on their twitter feed. Anyone know anything?
Q
sucksyd

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 10:44:40 AM

Poloniex went dead for me a few minutes ago. There is nothing on their twitter feed. Anyone know anything?
Q

lol.monero also .
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484

Still wild and free

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 10:55:21 AM

Some things being back, like my usage of the ignore button, are usually a good sign.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
yeXIABC

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 12:54:14 PM

All that being said, I have bought a LOT
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 02:28:13 PM

We've designed Monero to be slightly inflationary and not deflationary (see OP).

A massive increase in Monero's value will not come from us tweaking magical numbers to create fake scarcity so that "investors" are artificially rewarded. It will come from Monero being useful and usable (in time) to an ever larger potential number of users (which right now it isn't, the barrier to entry is still high from a technical perspective) and there being services built around Monero or that accept Monero with whom privacy is an essential aspect (and there are many use-cases for this beyond the Silk Road...what about a younger person who wants to pay for access to a dating site without his parents knowing his sexual orientation from the credit card bill?)

Pages: « 1 ... 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 [895] 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: