Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:01:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you like the new Uro logo?
Yes - 69 (54.3%)
No - 33 (26%)
I like the new and old ones equally - 8 (6.3%)
Undecided - 17 (13.4%)
Total Voters: 127

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 219 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][URO] A Real Long Term Currency: 1 Uro = 1 Metric Tonne Urea Fertilizer  (Read 247320 times)
ShakinHandz

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:00:35 PM

I had feelings LTC would take off in October. I had feelings DRK would take off in March. They went much further than anticipated. I got heckled then too.

I have the same feeling about URO. Unfortunate that people are writing this off so quickly, this should be getting oodles of attention, so far just accusations and terrible piss jokes (urea isn't urine?).

I'm willing to have egg on my face if this is dishonest or goes bellyup, but this has the potential to be the biggest thing in crypto yet, and it will make DarkSend and all of this weak innovation/anon coins have spawned seem like a kids' science fair.

#timestamped

Totally agree with you.  Smiley

Also, danonthehill has basically confirmed the identity of the dev of this project based on his own research. Personally I don't believe any of the information he has presented is harmful to the project in any way. If anything, it clarifies that these are real companies backing a new form of trade currency, and I think it's going to be interesting to watch.

Until information is presented that confirms this is a scam (where all the information currently is pointing otherwise), I'll be buying. Shit who knows, maybe I'll just grab a bunch of urea and start a farm or some shit.  Tongue
raskul

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:03:21 PM

I had feelings LTC would take off in October. I had feelings DRK would take off in March. They went much further than anticipated. I got heckled then too.

I have the same feeling about URO. Unfortunate that people are writing this off so quickly, this should be getting oodles of attention, so far just accusations and terrible piss jokes (urea isn't urine?).

I'm willing to have egg on my face if this is dishonest or goes bellyup, but this has the potential to be the biggest thing in crypto yet, and it will make DarkSend and all of this weak innovation/anon coins have spawned seem like a kids' science fair.

#timestamped

Totally agree with you.  Smiley

Also, danonthehill has basically confirmed the identity of the dev of this project based on his own research. Personally I don't believe any of the information he has presented is harmful to the project in any way. If anything, it clarifies that these are real companies backing a new form of trade currency, and I think it's going to be interesting to watch.

Until information is presented that confirms this is a scam (where all the information currently is pointing otherwise), I'll be buying. Shit who knows, maybe I'll just grab a bunch of urea and start a farm or some shit.  Tongue

what would be ideal, is a list of farms who find difficulty in making their running costs - as a community, it would be a good thing if we could somehow, buy up Urea with our Uro, to donate it to farms and farmers who find themselves in difficulty. Correct me if i'm wrong but this seems to be the main purpose of linking this cryptocurrency to the real world product.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
danonthehill

Activity: 710
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:18:09 PM

what would be ideal, is a list of farms who find difficulty in making their running costs - as a community, it would be a good thing if we could somehow, buy up Urea with our Uro, to donate it to farms and farmers who find themselves in difficulty. Correct me if i'm wrong but this seems to be the main purpose of linking this cryptocurrency to the real world product.

That's what I am thinking for a few BTC now we could buy a whole shipment and transform a community.  I am just not sure what is in it for the Foundation members, seems like a lot of risk for them, or perhaps I don't fully understand the economic model.
raskul

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:21:33 PM

That's what I am thinking for a few BTC now we could buy a whole shipment and transform a community.  I am just not sure what is in it for the Foundation members, seems like a lot of risk for them.

publicity, i guess. and there is always something in showing that there is good in the world.
If there is, someone, by showing that they are doing good in the world, and it's linked to any kind of cryptocurrency, i'm keen to see it evolve.

however;

i've tried it to see... and wallet won't sync.

Geenstijl
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:24:26 PM

#timestamped

+1
ShakinHandz

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:37:10 PM

That's what I am thinking for a few BTC now we could buy a whole shipment and transform a community.  I am just not sure what is in it for the Foundation members, seems like a lot of risk for them, or perhaps I don't fully understand the economic model.

If this turns out legit, I will certainly donate uro to a type of foundation like this.
raskul

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:38:00 PM

If this turns out legit, I will certainly donate uro to a type of foundation like this.

i'd like to firstly see a working wallet.  Undecided

MindGrenade

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:43:24 PM

The fact is, that the blockchains use as a true universal decentralised ledger as a means of asset exchange will bring more value to cryptocurrency than anything else. The ability to have an unforgeable, easily transferred certificate/token is priceless.

Some have theorised that using a blockchains ledger as a means of asset exchange means that the blockchains market cap will have to remain higher than the value of all assets flowing through it at any given time.

If this works, and sets off new innovation and reactions from the right folk, we are seeing steps towards a decentralised stock exchange, housing market etc within the current landscape.

We love our BTC and crypto, but introducing asset exchange or a true backing would be an event that could move USD value of BTC to 10k and beyond with ease, along with BTC becoming a true commodity, and not having to feel like a total neckbeard when you bring it up at a social gathering
raskul

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:49:42 PM

The fact is, that the blockchains use as a true universal decentralised ledger as a means of asset exchange will bring more value to cryptocurrency than anything else. The ability to have an unforgeable, easily transferred certificate/token is priceless.

Some have theorised that using a blockchains ledger as a means of asset exchange means that the blockchains market cap will have to remain higher than the value of all assets flowing through it at any given time.

If this works, and sets off new innovation and reactions from the right folk, we are seeing steps towards a decentralised stock exchange, housing market etc within the current landscape.

We love our BTC and crypto, but introducing asset exchange or a true backing would be an event that could move USD value of BTC to 10k and beyond with ease, along with BTC becoming a true commodity, and not having to feel like a total neckbeard when you bring it up at a social gathering

so, my initial question would be, if the OP had the means to link cryptocurrencies to a real world product, why didn't he/she just pair it with BTC in the first place. Why the need for another new altcoin to do so? One could easilly have marked up the value of 1 MT of Urea to #x-amount-of-BTC, with variable rates according to the market value of BTC.
It remains a far ball to catch that 1URO = 1MT Urea; especially when the toy-exhcanges will allow anyone to command the price.
It is always possible to wail on about VALUE, but it's PRICE that people see when they open up their browsers.

kyle589

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:12:11 PM

so, my initial question would be, if the OP had the means to link cryptocurrencies to a real world product, why didn't he/she just pair it with BTC in the first place. Why the need for another new altcoin to do so? One could easilly have marked up the value of 1 MT of Urea to #x-amount-of-BTC, with variable rates according to the market value of BTC.
It remains a far ball to catch that 1URO = 1MT Urea; especially when the toy-exhcanges will allow anyone to command the price.
It is always possible to wail on about VALUE, but it's PRICE that people see when they open up their browsers.
Think if you associate it with the value of another coin thats used for many different things, the price would fluctuate so much that they would have to keep changing the value of BTC to urea. You make your own coin which is backed by 1 item and therefore should hold the value of that item. Also it brings into focus the impending food crisis the OP mentioned and gives that the attention it needs.
dleader

Activity: 592
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:44:48 PM

I look at this as buying a decentralized contract bound so far by the Uro Foundation. The relationship with the Uro Foundation is one sided. You can't trade btc or usd with them. They only agree to honor the Uro as a 1:1 transaction.  The crypto exchange is the free market part where value will be realized by our participation.

So it's a very different beast than any crypto that exists.
raskul

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:49:40 PM

I look at this as buying a decentralized contract bound so far by the Uro Foundation. The relationship with the Uro Foundation is one sided. You can't trade btc or usd with them. They only agree to honor the Uro as a 1:1 transaction.  The crypto exchange is the free market part where value will be realized by our participation.

agreed. and i'm all for the idea.
my only real issue now, is the wallet gets stuck. OP needs to find a way to ensure a working wallet which loads and sync's up first time without the need for a .conf or any addnode command - there are also many functions in the wallet which are disabled - repairwallet, being one important command which is disabled.
I'd advise a fresh build of the wallet by a competent developer (not a dev who advertises 'alcoins' on this forum) - a reliable, experienced and competent developer.
apart from that, i see it as a great idea.

mistersushi

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:12:27 PM

my only real issue now, is the wallet gets stuck. OP needs to find a way to ensure a working wallet which loads and sync's up first time without the need for a .conf or any addnode command - there are also many functions in the wallet which are disabled - repairwallet, being one important command which is disabled.
I'd advise a fresh build of the wallet by a competent developer (not a dev who advertises 'alcoins' on this forum) - a reliable, experienced and competent developer.

Sorry about your luck with the wallet.  FWIW mine has been problem-free.  It has never had an issue syncing and I receive URO with it.

With regard to the price manipulation, it sounds like your head is kind of stuck in the box of thinking about coins whose value is based solely on speculation, with no real value.  Bitcoin is one such coin, and it is very volatile.  As this coin becomes established as something legitimate and workable, it will be in an entirely different league. 
raskul

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:16:22 PM

Sorry about your luck with the wallet.  FWIW mine has been problem-free.  It has never had an issue syncing and I receive URO with it.

With regard to the price manipulation, it sounds like your head is kind of stuck in the box of thinking about coins whose value is based solely on speculation, with no real value.  Bitcoin is one such coin, and it is very volatile.  As this coin becomes established as something legitimate and workable, it will be in an entirely different league. 

i don't feel my 'head is stuck' anywhere.. I will watch closely however, and it's yet to be seen how the 'value' over-rides the 'price'.
there has been no information which should lead anyone to think that these issues will be tackled. And whether you feel that my 'head is stuck' or not, it's a real issue.

mistersushi

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:59:32 PM
Last edit: June 12, 2014, 07:54:11 PM by mistersushi

i don't feel my 'head is stuck' anywhere.. I will watch closely however, and it's yet to be seen how the 'value' over-rides the 'price'.
there has been no information which should lead anyone to think that these issues will be tackled. And whether you feel that my 'head is stuck' or not, it's a real issue.

Please don't take offense to that, it happens to all of us, probably a lot more than we realize.  For the sake of simplicity, let's just take the URO at face value:  1 URO = 1 MT of urea fertilizer.  The "value" in terms of product, is fixed.  The price of the URO is then driven by the demand for product, coupled with its usefulness in facilitating commerce therein.  Assuming again, the URO's utility, its only true value will be relevant to that.  Even if some monstrous whale were to hoard a massive amount of URO and demand the equivalent of $2000 each for them, he couldn't get it, because people would find a more economical way to obtain urea fertilizer.  Likewise if all the speculative traders got together and agreed that they'd offer no more than the equivalent of $100 per URO, they'd be left out in the cold too, because people who found URO useful for buying product would offer much closer to the market value of 1 MT of urea fertilizer.
AlfaONE

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 09:50:23 PM

GES looks more like a Philanthropy company , Supporting -  Pakistan Girls schools, Libya water project, street kids in Egypt – I hope these “Richard Branson” type companies  are still alive…..I backed the last 5 coins, which went nowhere with big hype  – URO seems different, I will cont. to have faith …will back URO

"Together we stand for a fairness and truth"
fiftyseven

Activity: 427
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 11:53:44 PM

The dev chat is ongoing (and interesting), a log has been recorded by some participants so I'm sure there'll post the link here. In the meantime join in here:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=uro
ShakinHandz

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 12:20:24 AM

http://pastebin.com/iwW9SXa7
whymine

Activity: 58

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 12:40:19 AM

Very unique coin. I'm shall setup a new pool for this. Smiley
meilixinqing

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:36:23 AM

Very unique coin. I'm shall setup a new pool for this. Smiley
quite good!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 219 »
  Print  

Jump to: