Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:54:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Phoenix - Efficient, fast, modular miner  (Read 760546 times)
jedi95 (OP)

Activity: 219
Merit: 120

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 06:51:41 AM

Does 1.6.2 use these mods?

further improved phatk OpenCL Kernel (> 4% increase) for Phoenix - 2011-08-11
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25860.0

I started using 1.6.2 over 1.5 and haven't seen any increase.

Phoenix uses Diapolo's latest kernel (the one from the thread you linked above) for phatk. The phatk2 kernel is based on Phateus's phatk 2.2 from the original phatk thread. I modified the python portion of his kernel a bit though.

Phoenix Miner developer

Donations appreciated at:
1PHoenix9j9J3M6v3VQYWeXrHPPjf7y3rU
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 10:03:27 AM

How does the backup pool works? Does it try to connect back to the main pool? How long does it take and can it be configurable?

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
Boing7898

Activity: 686
Merit: 259

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 10:19:33 AM

FATAL kernel error: Failed to apply BFI_INT patch to kernel! Is BFI_INT supported on this hardware?

Using a 5770 with 11.8 drivers on Windows.
phoenix.exe -u http:/worker:pass@pool.bitp.it:8334/ -k phatk2 PLATFORM=0 DEVICE=0 VECTORS FASTLOOP=false AGGRESSION=12 WORKSIZE=256
d3m0n1q_733rz

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 11:27:54 AM

FATAL kernel error: Failed to apply BFI_INT patch to kernel! Is BFI_INT supported on this hardware?

phoenix.exe -u http:/worker:pass@pool.bitp.it:8334/ -k phatk2 PLATFORM=0 DEVICE=0 VECTORS FASTLOOP=false AGGRESSION=12 WORKSIZE=256
Fun fact: Your CPU is capable of running OpenCL as well.  Unfortunately, it doesn't offer the BFI_INT support that your card does.  Coincidentally, it also happens to be your device 0.  Try 1 instead.  ^_^

Funroll_Loops, the theoretically quicker breakfast cereal!
Check out http://www.facebook.com/JupiterICT for all of your computing needs.  If you need it, we can get it.  We have solutions for your computing conundrums.  BTC accepted!  12HWUSguWXRCQKfkPeJygVR1ex5wbg3hAq
carlo

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 11:29:00 AM

Backup function:

so far i have tested it a bit.
It seems that if the primary server is not available, the miner tries to use the backup server, sometimes my miner got stuck and it didnt switch to the backup server.
The normal switching time about 1-2 minutes.
When the miner pointed to the backup server it will not switch back to the primary.

i dont know if its configurable, i didn't see any parameters to make it more comfortable.
Boing7898

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 11:31:11 AM

Fun fact: Your CPU is capable of running OpenCL as well.  Unfortunately, it doesn't offer the BFI_INT support that your card does.  Coincidentally, it also happens to be your device 0.  Try 1 instead.  ^_^
No device specified or device not found, use DEVICE=ID to specify one of the fol
lowing

• AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
[0 Khash/sec] [0 Accepted] [0 Rejected]

o.o
Where is my HD5770?
d3m0n1q_733rz

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 11:34:09 AM

No device specified or device not found, use DEVICE=ID to specify one of the fol
lowing

o.o
Where is my HD5770?
I got hungry and eated it?  Let me run a check myself to see if it's a driver related issue.  Had you been using 11.7 before hand since the drive is new?  And are you certain that you didn't download ONLY the driver and not the whole package?

Check out http://www.facebook.com/JupiterICT for all of your computing needs.  If you need it, we can get it.  We have solutions for your computing conundrums.  BTC accepted!  12HWUSguWXRCQKfkPeJygVR1ex5wbg3hAq
Boing7898

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 11:37:51 AM

lowing

o.o
Where is my HD5770?
I got hungry and eated it?  Let me run a check myself to see if it's a driver related issue.  Had you been using 11.7 before hand since the drive is new?  And are you certain that you didn't download ONLY the driver and not the whole package?
:@

Yesterday I installed the 11.8 drivers, I think I had the 11.6 before. I installed the new Phoneix and now my HD5770 is gone.
I installed the whole package, the first link in the site.
d3m0n1q_733rz

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 11:41:00 AM

lowing

o.o
Where is my HD5770?

Yesterday I installed the 11.8 drivers, I think I had the 11.6 before. I installed the new Phoneix and now my HD5770 is gone.
And you've restarted your computer since then?  I know that restarting isn't usually necessary with the ATI drivers, but it will help to get the OpenCL software properly in place.

Boing7898

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 11:42:25 AM

lowing

o.o
Where is my HD5770?

And you've restarted your computer since then?  I know that restarting isn't usually necessary with the ATI drivers, but it will help to get the OpenCL software properly in place.
Yeah, since I installed it yesterday Tongue
Wanna see on TeamViewer?
d3m0n1q_733rz

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 12:06:06 PM

Fun fact: Your CPU is capable of running OpenCL as well.  Unfortunately, it doesn't offer the BFI_INT support that your card does.  Coincidentally, it also happens to be your device 0.  Try 1 instead.  ^_^
lowing

o.o
Where is my HD5770?
I got hungry and eated it?  Let me run a check myself to see if it's a driver related issue.  Had you been using 11.7 before hand since the drive is new?  And are you certain that you didn't download ONLY the driver and not the whole package?

And you've restarted your computer since then?  I know that restarting isn't usually necessary with the ATI drivers, but it will help to get the OpenCL software properly in place.
Wanna see on TeamViewer?
No, I'm actually having some difficulty with the driver myself.  I went to install it and it caused a lockup/kernel dump/BSOD.  I wasn't too happy, but it wasn't entirely unexpected with ATI.

d3m0n1q_733rz

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 12:29:41 PM

Fun fact: Your CPU is capable of running OpenCL as well.  Unfortunately, it doesn't offer the BFI_INT support that your card does.  Coincidentally, it also happens to be your device 0.  Try 1 instead.  ^_^
lowing

o.o
Where is my HD5770?
I got hungry and eated it?  Let me run a check myself to see if it's a driver related issue.  Had you been using 11.7 before hand since the drive is new?  And are you certain that you didn't download ONLY the driver and not the whole package?

And you've restarted your computer since then?  I know that restarting isn't usually necessary with the ATI drivers, but it will help to get the OpenCL software properly in place.
Wanna see on TeamViewer?
No, I'm actually having some difficulty with the driver myself.  I went to install it and it caused a lockup/kernel dump/BSOD.  I wasn't too happy, but it wasn't entirely unexpected with ATI.
Okay, after the restart and a nice long scan of my drives from the crash, I retried the driver install successfully and everything appears to be working correctly.  I don't know what the problem with your card not showing up could be but I don't tend to use Teamviewer as I don't really trust it.  Well, best of luck to you.  You may need to reinstall your driver.

Boing7898

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 12:32:05 PM

lowing

o.o
Where is my HD5770?

Wanna see on TeamViewer?
Okay, after the restart and a nice long scan of my drives from the crash, I retried the driver install successfully and everything appears to be working correctly.  I don't know what the problem with your card not showing up could be but I don't tend to use Teamviewer as I don't really trust it.  Well, best of luck to you.  You may need to reinstall your driver.
Okay, I'm gonna use DriveSweeper and do a complete cleanup.
d3m0n1q_733rz

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 04:53:24 AM

Hey, I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between VECTORS and VECTORS2?  From my understanding of past readings, they were supposed to be the same.  But I'm finding that VECTORS works faster than VECTORS2 and, obviously, VECTORS4 with my HD5450.

FalconFour

Activity: 176

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 07:46:41 AM

Well, I've got another one to add to the 46th page of this awkwardly-long thread... For lack of a thread-search function, and having spent a disproportionate amount of time thumbing through several pages of this thread looking for it, I've got to ask...

Why does Phoenix (or by relation, poclbm, since I only have nVidia cards) use a full core's CPU, to no useful purpose? The only way I can efficiently use Phoenix - which is otherwise the most efficient client I've seen yet - is by tweaking Windows' power management settings to throttle the CPU to its minimum speed. If I allow Windows to run normal power management, Intel Turbo Boost kicks in on my laptop and runs the CPU full-blast... but it performs at exactly the same speed (I've even seen marginally better!) when I throttle the CPU to its lowest (50%, verified with TMonitor) setting. In other words, Phoenix seems to be performing absolutely zero productive work with the full CPU core it eats up at any clock rate... meanwhile it produces twice the heat and consumes twice the power that it needs to operate!

This also serves as a useful tip for passers-by in this thread: for the energy-conscious, you can go to Windows' Power Options control panel, create a new power scheme (I call mine just "Bitcoin"), edit its advanced settings, and set Processor Power Management -> "Maximum processor state" to 50%... and you'll likely end up with half the wasted heat while maintaining the same performance in Phoenix Wink

Sort of a dual-purpose post here: to explain this observation and its effects in hopes of finding a workaround or adding a fix in the code... and to see if anyone else experiences this same issue in their miners!

This has occurred for me in all of the following: Atom D510 with nVidia Ion (with clock tweaks, runs stable at 4.66 Mhash/sec), Core 2 Quad Q6600 with nVidia GeForce 8800GTS (tweaked, runs stable at ~22.5 Mhash/sec), Core 2 Duo with Quadro NVS 290 (stock, ~3Mhash/sec), and a Core i5 M430 with nVidia GeForce GT 325M (Optimus, tweaked, stable at ~12Mhash/sec). All running Windows 7 SP1 x64, all the latest drivers from nVidia.

edit to note: The 8800GTS and GT 325m both run as "add-on" GPUs; Optimus powers off the GPU when not needed and the 8800 is secondary to the Intel GPU in my setup. So I can throw desktop-responsiveness to the wind there - however, if I push "aggression" too far (varies with GPU), it crashes the display driver and I have to disable/re-enable the device to get clocks back to normal. Also has no effect on CPU usage. Any tweaks I could apply for these GPUs that aren't driving a display?

feed the bird: 187CXEVzakbzcANsyhpAAoF2k6KJsc55P1 (BTC) / LiRzzXnwamFCHoNnWqEkZk9HknRmjNT7nU (LTC)
d3m0n1q_733rz

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 07:58:18 AM

Well, I've got another one to add to the 46th page of this awkwardly-long thread... For lack of a thread-search function, and having spent a disproportionate amount of time thumbing through several pages of this thread looking for it, I've got to ask...

Why does Phoenix (or by relation, poclbm, since I only have nVidia cards) use a full core's CPU, to no useful purpose? The only way I can efficiently use Phoenix - which is otherwise the most efficient client I've seen yet - is by tweaking Windows' power management settings to throttle the CPU to its minimum speed. If I allow Windows to run normal power management, Intel Turbo Boost kicks in on my laptop and runs the CPU full-blast... but it performs at exactly the same speed (I've even seen marginally better!) when I throttle the CPU to its lowest (50%, verified with TMonitor) setting. In other words, Phoenix seems to be performing absolutely zero productive work with the full CPU core it eats up at any clock rate... meanwhile it produces twice the heat and consumes twice the power that it needs to operate!

This also serves as a useful tip for passers-by in this thread: for the energy-conscious, you can go to Windows' Power Options control panel, create a new power scheme (I call mine just "Bitcoin"), edit its advanced settings, and set Processor Power Management -> "Maximum processor state" to 50%... and you'll likely end up with half the wasted heat while maintaining the same performance in Phoenix Wink

Sort of a dual-purpose post here: to explain this observation and its effects in hopes of finding a workaround or adding a fix in the code... and to see if anyone else experiences this same issue in their miners!

This has occurred for me in all of the following: Atom D510 with nVidia Ion (with clock tweaks, runs stable at 4.66 Mhash/sec), Core 2 Quad Q6600 with nVidia GeForce 8800GTS (tweaked, runs stable at ~22.5 Mhash/sec), Core 2 Duo with Quadro NVS 290 (stock, ~3Mhash/sec), and a Core i5 M430 with nVidia GeForce GT 325M (Optimus, tweaked, stable at ~12Mhash/sec). All running Windows 7 SP1 x64, all the latest drivers from nVidia.

edit to note: The 8800GTS and GT 325m both run as "add-on" GPUs; Optimus powers off the GPU when not needed and the 8800 is secondary to the Intel GPU in my setup. So I can throw desktop-responsiveness to the wind there - however, if I push "aggression" too far (varies with GPU), it crashes the display driver and I have to disable/re-enable the device to get clocks back to normal. Also has no effect on CPU usage. Any tweaks I could apply for these GPUs that aren't driving a display?
I'm going with driver issue on this.  ATI's fixed it recently (2 days ago), it seems NVidia has some catching up to do.

spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 08:45:45 AM

jedi,

this is what I got as soon as latest phoenix tried to connect to backup pool

Code:
    self.mainLoop()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/internet/base.py", line 1171, in mainLoop
    self.runUntilCurrent()
--- <exception caught here> ---
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/twisted/internet/base.py", line 793, in runUntilCurrent
    call.func(*call.args, **call.kw)
  File "/home/user/phoenix/minerutil/RPCProtocol.py", line 117, in errback
    self.root._failure()
  File "/home/user/phoenix/minerutil/RPCProtocol.py", line 408, in _failure
    self.runCallback('failure')
  File "/home/user/phoenix/minerutil/ClientBase.py", line 43, in runCallback
    func(*args)
  File "/home/user/phoenix/Miner.py", line 55, in onFailure
    self.failoverCheck()
  File "/home/user/phoenix/Miner.py", line 109, in failoverCheck
    self.connection = self.options.makeConnection(self, True)
  File "./phoenix.py", line 101, in makeConnection
    exit()
exceptions.SystemExit:

I had to kill the program.

TIA

spiccioli
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 11:15:28 AM

Ok, well i do seem to have a problem with phoenix. The askrate is broken. I changed the askrate to a higher or lower, however phoenix always requests work every 11 seconds, not 10, 11. I even modified the code, and it still asks work every 11 seconds. What gives??

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
carlo

Activity: 133

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 11:21:36 AM

some settings for the backup pool would be nice, and the option to jump back to the primary pool after xxx shares.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 11:22:16 AM

Ok, well i do seem to have a problem with phoenix. The askrate is broken. I changed the askrate to a higher or lower, however phoenix always requests work every 11 seconds, not 10, 11. I even modified the code, and it still asks work every 11 seconds. What gives??
Oh, new page,  i am bumping my problem here cause it will get lost.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  

Jump to: