Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:51:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gavin will visit the CIA  (Read 152926 times)
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 01:15:23 PM

Doesn't matter really. The day they open-sourced it, they lost control over it. Now everybody can benefit from Bitcoin, and nobody can control it without using **significant** money and resources. And I mean multi-billion-dollar-significant (however even that money doesn't guarantee success).

The Internet is also a creation of the military. Who cares ?

+1

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 01:46:32 PM

The genie is out of the bottle!

becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 04:20:25 PM

I do.

I don't want to be part of any arpa/darpa project designed to divert common people from using gold as money just because the US are preparing for the post dollar era trying to maintain its monetary monopoly as much as they can. The problem with bitcoin is not the protocol itself as it is a FOSS. The problem is the mining pools!

Oh, and what people use in their every day life is the World Wide Web. It was not created by the military. It was created in CERN Switzerland by Tim Berners-Lee: http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/about/WebStory-en.html
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 04:26:24 PM

so if gavin gave the CIA that key. then the cia could corrupt the blockchain whenever they want? or at least make a malicious bitcoin client "update"

No. The only thing that this key can do is signing an alert message that propagates through the network.

Satoshi, Gavin and theymos have this key, IIRC.

Theymos, a college student in Wisconsin taking French, has the key?

~Bruno~
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 07:06:10 PM

I do.

I don't want to be part of any arpa/darpa project designed to divert common people from using gold as money just because the US are preparing for the post dollar era trying to maintain its monetary monopoly as much as they can. The problem with bitcoin is not the protocol itself as it is a FOSS. The problem is the mining pools!

So what is the problem with mining pools exactly ?

Oh, and what people use in their every day life is the World Wide Web. It was not created by the military. It was created in CERN Switzerland by Tim Berners-Lee: http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/about/WebStory-en.html

TCP/IP and the basic (layer 1 & layer 2 - meaning the FOUNDATIONS) protocols of the internet were created by the military. CERN only built on top of that.
So it is logical that the military created the internet, and CERN only developed it further.

becoin
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 07:45:52 PM

TCP/IP and the basic (layer 1 & layer 2 - meaning the FOUNDATIONS) protocols of the internet were created by the military. CERN only built on top of that.
Everything is created on top of something and serves as a foundation for something else. The military have only contributed with the networking protocol - TCP. The idea to merge the technologies of personal computers, computer networking (TCP) and hypertext was entirely developed in CERN. CERN was the place where the first web browser and the first web server were created. CERN was the place where HTML was invented by Tim Berners-Lee.
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 09:07:55 PM

Everything is created on top of something and serves as a foundation for something else. The military have only contributed with the networking protocol - TCP. The idea to merge the technologies of personal computers, computer networking (TCP) and hypertext was entirely developed in CERN. CERN was the place where the first web browser and the first web server were created. CERN was the place where HTML was invented by Tim Berners-Lee.

The foundation and later development of the Internet is more than you both think:

http://youtu.be/9hIQjrMHTv4

ARPANET (Military - USA)
http://www.dei.isep.ipp.pt/~acc/docs/arpa.html

RAND (Military - USA)
http://www.rand.org/about/history/baran.html

NPL (Commercial - UK)
http://www.tnmoc.org/explore/npl-technology-internet-gallery

CYCLADES (Academic - France)
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/chris/think/Cyclades/

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 09:32:41 PM

The foundation and later development of the Internet is more than you both think:

http://youtu.be/9hIQjrMHTv4

ARPANET (Military - USA)
http://www.dei.isep.ipp.pt/~acc/docs/arpa.html

RAND (Military - USA)
http://www.rand.org/about/history/baran.html

NPL (Commercial - UK)
http://www.tnmoc.org/explore/npl-technology-internet-gallery

CYCLADES (Academic - France)
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/chris/think/Cyclades/

Internet started as a military project in 1962... So it belonged to army for about (23 ?) years before was released to the public ? So half the time internet existed it belonged to the army ?

This actually strengthens my point even further.

becoin
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 06:25:27 AM

This actually strengthens my point even further.

Every type of telecommunications used for communication between calculation machines is an internet. Using your logic one can say that the Internet started in 1940 because the concept was created at that time.

In September 1940, George Stibitz used a Teletype machine to send instructions for a problem set from his Model at Dartmouth College to his Complex Number Calculator in New York and received results back by the same means. Linking output systems like teletypewriters to computers was an interest at the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) when, in 1962, J.C.R. Licklider was hired and developed a working group he called the "Intergalactic Computer Network", a precursor to the ARPANET.
 Early networks of communicating computers included the military radar system Semi-Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE), started in the late 1950s.
 The commercial airline reservation system semi-automatic business research environment (SABRE) went online with two connected mainframes in 1960.[2][3]
 In 1964, researchers at Dartmouth developed the Dartmouth Time Sharing System for distributed users of large computer systems. The same year, at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a research group supported by General Electric and Bell Labs used a computer to route and manage telephone connections.
 Throughout the 1960s Leonard Kleinrock, Paul Baran and Donald Davies independently conceptualized and developed network systems which used packets that could be used in a network between computer systems.
 1965 Thomas Marill and Lawrence G. Roberts created the first wide area network (WAN). This was an immediate precursor to the ARPANET, of which Roberts became program manager.
 The first widely used telephone switch that used true computer control was introduced by Western Electric in 1965.
 In 1969 the University of California at Los Angeles, the Stanford Research Institute, University of California at Santa Barbara, and the University of Utah were connected as the beginning of the ARPANET network using 50 kbit/s circuits.[4]

The fact of the matter is that many people and groups (incl. military) have worked upon what we use today in computer networks. The fact of the matter is that when people talk about the Internet (note 'the' and the capital 'I') what they mean is THE communication system created in 1989 by Tim Berners-Lee in CERN!

Gladamas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 06:47:14 AM

I'm way to lazy to read/search this thread. Can someone please tell me what the result of this presentation was?

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 07:27:21 AM

I'm way to lazy to read/search this thread. Can someone please tell me what the result of this presentation was?

A computer chip was inserted into Gavin's brain, rendering him a remote controlled operative of the CIA. He has given all the secret keys to the government and is helping to identify all bitcoin users who use Silk Road and who donate to wikileaks.

Also, it was recently revealed that Gavin is, in fact, an alien.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 11:03:44 AM
Last edit: August 09, 2012, 01:20:43 PM by Gyrsur

A computer chip was inserted into Gavin's brain, rendering him a remote controlled operative of the CIA. He has given all the secret keys to the government and is helping to identify all bitcoin users who use Silk Road and who donate to wikileaks.

and where is BitZion located? maybe near to butterfly labs?

EDIT: so then Gavin is Neo or Morpheus or what?? I'm confused now!!

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 01:03:04 PM

So much LOL in this thread Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 03:19:01 PM

The chip also had the unforeseen side effect of splitting Gavin's consciousness into several distinct personalities, including, but probably not limited to, Phinnaeus, Atlas, and pirateat40. CIA technicians are hard at work writing the program for his ultimate mission: hunting down Satoshi and returning his/her brain for study. Little do they know, Satoshi's identity was discovered several months ago by a secretive cabal of Bitcoin worshipers and his/her brain has been divided into three equal portions and is in the custody of Nefario, Matthew, and Vladimir, to be reunited when the blockchain is in imminent danger, as foretold in the Great Prophecy of ENIAC in 1954.

Still around.
LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 08:20:38 PM

The chip also had the unforeseen side effect of splitting Gavin's consciousness into several distinct personalities, including, but probably not limited to, Phinnaeus, Atlas, and pirateat40. CIA technicians are hard at work writing the program for his ultimate mission: hunting down Satoshi and returning his/her brain for study. Little do they know, Satoshi's identity was discovered several months ago by a secretive cabal of Bitcoin worshipers and his/her brain has been divided into three equal portions and is in the custody of Nefario, Matthew, and Vladimir, to be reunited when the blockchain is in imminent danger, as foretold in the Great Prophecy of ENIAC in 1954.

You know, it's absurd conspiracy theories like this that give bitcoin a bad name. Everyone knows that the ENIAC "prophecy" was debunked long ago by the researchers at XEROX PARC. There is no shred of evidence to suggest that it should be taken seriously, and anyone who continues to cling to that failed machine's teachings needs to have the chip in their brain examined.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 08:39:48 PM

You know, it's absurd conspiracy theories like this that give bitcoin a bad name. Everyone knows that the ENIAC "prophecy" was debunked long ago by the researchers at XEROX PARC. There is no shred of evidence to suggest that it should be taken seriously, and anyone who continues to cling to that failed machine's teachings needs to have the chip in their brain examined.

Okay, this thread is beginning to get way off-topic but let me just say that I'm very surprised that anyone would take the "research" coming out of XEROX PARC at face value. If there was nothing to ENIAC's warnings then why was Xerox systematically eliminating or brain-washing everyone who sought to publicize it? Thankfully, Jobs and Gates had the foresight to have it secretly encoded into their DNA so that it might at least be passed down through their progeny.

Still around.
LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 09:52:23 PM

Okay, this thread is beginning to get way off-topic but let me just say that I'm very surprised that anyone would take the "research" coming out of XEROX PARC at face value. If there was nothing to ENIAC's warnings then why was Xerox systematically eliminating or brain-washing everyone who sought to publicize it? Thankfully, Jobs and Gates had the foresight to have it secretly encoded into their DNA so that it might at least be passed down through their progeny.

Jobs and Gates are well known frauds and charlatans! Sure, the computer journalism industry gives them credibility (because they're controlled by ENIAC maniacs) but the truth was laid out by Richard Stallman quite clearly. Even Linus Torvald stated-

You know what, screw this conversation. Obviously you're a paid disinfo agent spreading nonsense just to screw with people's minds. I have better things to do with my time than sit here and argue with someone who has no interest whatsoever in the truth about computational eschatology.

Gladamas

Activity: 294

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 12:42:13 AM

Can anyone give a real answer please?

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 01:24:59 AM

I just uploaded pdf and KeyNote versions of the talk I gave at the CIA last Tuesday:
 https://s3.amazonaws.com/gavinandresen-bitcoin/GavinAndresenCIATalk.pdf
 https://s3.amazonaws.com/gavinandresen-bitcoin/GavinAndresen_Bitcoin.key

I took questions in the middle, before I dove into the technical details. I was asked about whether or not I thought price instability would be a problem ("yes, I'll talk about that later") and how/why I got involved.

Later, at the panel discussion, I was asked a question that showed I need to do a better job of distinguishing bitcoin addresses and IP addresses. And I was asked if there were moral issues, since bitcoin can be used by criminals ("I'm working on bitcoin because I think the potential benefits to the world are much, much greater than the costs.")

The other speakers were from PayPal, Facebook Payments, M-Pesa, Heartland Payment Systems, and the Federal Reserve, so it was worth going just for the connections. Bitcoin is definitely the new kid on the block, and I presented it as such; not "bitcoin will take over the world" but "bitcoin is a very interesting experiment that could be world-changing if it works out."

And now... there is plenty of work to be done, so I'm going to stop reminiscing about the good old days last week....

C'mon, you guys know this took place in June. Not too hard to skip through a few pages Smiley
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 03:55:57 AM

C'mon, you guys know this took place in June. Not too hard to skip through a few pages Smiley

Not just June but June more than a year ago. It's been a dead issue for so long and Bitcoin is still here. I don't know why it was raised from the dead and but it devolved into a farce because it happened so long ago.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: