Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 12:58:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 [508] 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 ... 612 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [SDC] ShadowCash | Welcome to the UMBRA  (Read 1289610 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
erok

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 03:41:45 AM

^^ Shadow's #1 fan!

6 posts ever made and all in this thread!

I love SHADOW! It's the best!

Shadow is the best!

"the destruction of privacy widens the existing power imbalance between the ruling factions and everyone else" -- Julian Assange
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 03:46:12 AM

Proof of concept code has been posted by shen:

There was some doubt about whether this post is purely theoretical, or whether it in fact allows one to de-anonymize the sdc chain in practice. In fact, I originally thought it would be too much effort to install these other coins clients, which I am really familiar with, and then muck about in their code enough to get it working. However, after some prodding, I have created a simple replacement for their “ringsig.cpp” (see https://github.com/ShenNoether/Deanon) in the shadowcoin code, which, when run, after resyncing the chain, you will be able to determine who the signer of any ring sig is (read the debug.log in .shadowcoin directory). For example, here is the output according to the first ring signature sent on their blockchain:

ProcessBlock: ACCEPTED a801e125053dcc556b94
verifying ring sig asdf

index i = 0 / 4

index i = 1 / 4

index i = 2 / 4

index i = 3 / 4
signer is index 3

erok

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 03:54:45 AM

There was some doubt about whether this post is purely theoretical, or whether it in fact allows one to de-anonymize the sdc chain in practice. In fact, I originally thought it would be too much effort to install these other coins clients, which I am really familiar with, and then muck about in their code enough to get it working. However, after some prodding, I have created a simple replacement for their “ringsig.cpp” (see https://github.com/ShenNoether/Deanon) in the shadowcoin code, which, when run, after resyncing the chain, you will be able to determine who the signer of any ring sig is (read the debug.log in .shadowcoin directory). For example, here is the output according to the first ring signature sent on their blockchain:

verifying ring sig asdf

index i = 0 / 4

index i = 1 / 4

index i = 2 / 4

index i = 3 / 4
signer is index 3
More FUD. And who else delivers it but SMOOTH, official Monero "dev". Proof of proof of concept? You got nothing. Just give it up. Tongue

"the destruction of privacy widens the existing power imbalance between the ruling factions and everyone else" -- Julian Assange
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 03:56:03 AM

verifying ring sig asdf

index i = 0 / 4

index i = 1 / 4

index i = 2 / 4

index i = 3 / 4
signer is index 3
More FUD. And who else delivers it but SMOOTH, official Monero "dev". Proof of proof of concept? You got nothing. Just give it up. Tongue

Dude:

signer is index 3

Do you know what that means?

Shen has a file with every single ring signature from the chain broken. Anyone can reproduce using the code from his blog.

EDIT: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ShenNoether/Deanon/master/sdcDeAnon.txt
erok

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 03:59:42 AM

verifying ring sig asdf

index i = 0 / 4

index i = 1 / 4

index i = 2 / 4

index i = 3 / 4
signer is index 3

Dude:

signer is index 3

Yeah I stuck out my tongue didn't I? But it's good to know this stuff before the market release so devs can fix it. Thanks for debugging but your community is still a bunch of fuckwads.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:02:05 AM

verifying ring sig asdf

index i = 0 / 4

index i = 1 / 4

index i = 2 / 4

index i = 3 / 4
signer is index 3

Dude:

signer is index 3

Yeah I stuck out my tongue didn't I? But it's good to know this stuff before the market release so devs can fix it. Thanks for debugging but your community is still a bunch of fuckwads.

They can if they have any idea what they are doing. After 10 hours of work which would have required a few lines of code to reproduce, all they could do is issue a false denial.
erok

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:07:56 AM

verifying ring sig asdf

index i = 0 / 4

index i = 1 / 4

index i = 2 / 4

index i = 3 / 4
signer is index 3

Dude:

signer is index 3

They can if they have any idea what they are doing. After 10 hours of work which would have required a few lines of code to reproduce, all they could do is issue a false denial.

Community issued the denial (namely me) because you are a troll and legitimate bugs are not exactly you or your teams history. Trolling is. Hats off to Shen but the trolling and PR was bullshit and you know it. Again, good to know before the market release so that it can be addressed.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:16:33 AM

verifying ring sig asdf

index i = 0 / 4

index i = 1 / 4

index i = 2 / 4

index i = 3 / 4
signer is index 3

Dude:

signer is index 3

Community issued the denial (namely me) because you are a troll and legitimate bugs are not exactly you or your teams history. Trolling is. Hats off to Shen but the trolling and PR was bullshit and you know it. Again, good to know before the market release so that it can be addressed.

You issued this:

https://blog.shadowproject.io/2016/02/12/deanonymize-shadow-nope/

"We would like you -our dedicated users- to know that, after 10+ hours of testing by Shadow’s core developers, our team has not yet managed to deanonymize any private transaction."

If so, then you either lied about your core developers being unable to write a few lines of code in a 10 hours, or they aren't able to do so. I don't know which.

RyanOlstren

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:21:54 AM

You issued this:

"We would like you -our dedicated users- to know that, after 10+ hours of testing by Shadow’s core developers, our team has not yet managed to deanonymize any private transaction."

If so, then you either lied about your core developers being unable to write a few lines of code in a 10 hours, or they aren't able to do so.I don't know which.

This coin will never have credibility because the devs are incompetent and the community is slime.

I remember they viciously fudded other coins for the content of their roadmaps, nitpicking on technicalities.

And here, through gross incompetence, the devs jeopardize the safety (yes safety) of every person who used their "anonymous" system.

I know my post will get deleted because of the intellectual dishonesty of the devs, but hopefully it will stand long enough for a few others to read it.
erok

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:26:52 AM

You issued this:

If so, then you either lied about your core developers being unable to write a few lines of code in a 10 hours, or they aren't able to do so.I don't know which.

This coin will never have credibility because the devs are incompetent and the community is slime.

I remember they viciously fudded other coins for the content of their roadmaps, nitpicking on technicalities.

And here, through gross incompetence, the devs jeopardize the safety (yes safety) of every person who used their "anonymous" system.

I know my post will get deleted because of the intellectual dishonesty of the devs, but hopefully it will stand long enough for a few others to read it.

LOL talks about credibility while posting on a troll account! Worst case scenario we switch back to the ring sig from before.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:35:10 AM

You issued this:

LOL talks about credibility while posting on a troll account! Worst case scenario we switch back to the ring sig from before.

I'm not positive but I think both ring sig versions have the flaw.

The code can be fixed, going forward. Incompetence is harder to fix.
erok

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:36:08 AM

You issued this:
No but I do suppose I was the one blowing the loudest "bullshit trollfud" horn.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:38:23 AM

You issued this:

Honestly I can't say I blame you. There is a lot of FUD and trolling and false claims that go on here, this just didn't happen to be one of them, as it turns out.

Anyway, the i information is out now, and it will be up to your team to decide how to address it. Ideally it gets fixed.

Signing off from the thread for now unless anyone has a question for me.
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:40:44 AM

So, their whole blockchain is now useless from a privacy perspective right?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:42:01 AM

The SDC portion was always equivalent to BTC from a privacy perspective (except for being less used which likely makes it worse in practice).

The Shadow portion has functioning (afaik) stealth addresses but the ring sigs did not function. That makes it equivalent to BTC where addresses are never reused. No 'mixing' function.

Wheatclove

Activity: 606
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:43:46 AM
Last edit: February 13, 2016, 04:57:53 AM by Wheatclove

You issued this:

Honestly I can't say I blame you. There is a lot of FUD and trolling and false claims that go on here, this just didn't happen to be one of them, as it turns out.

Anyway, the i information is out now, and it will be up to your team to decide how to address it. Ideally it gets fixed.

Still don't like to overall tone of this criticisms throughout the thread.

But I do have a question for you. I don't have time to sort through all the insults being thrown around by everyone as I'm doing homework.

What exactly does this exploit reveal in a single ring signature transaction? My limited understanding is that reveals which signature belongs to the original initiator of a ring signature. Can any other information be deduced from that signature?
RyanOlstren

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:45:04 AM

The SDC portion was always equivalent to BTC from a privacy perspective (except for being less used which likely makes it worse in practice).

The Shadow portion has functioning (afaik) stealth addresses but the ring sigs did not function. That makes it equivalent to BTC where addresses are never reused. No 'mixing' function.

You are too much of a gentleman.

It is much much much worse than bitcoin because people have used the "anonymous" feature of this coin with the expectation of anonymity. This jeopardizes their freedom, safety, and maybe even life.

It's inexcusable.
erok

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:52:37 AM

It is much much much worse than bitcoin because people have used the "anonymous" feature of this coin with the expectation of anonymity. This jeopardizes their freedom, safety, and maybe even life.

It's inexcusable.

SDT is still functional and SDC ring sig math was fundamentally flawed. I suspect that came from the size changes that were made to increase performance in 2014 which Smooth referenced in December as change he hadn't noticed in the code which I thought at the time was a significant improvement to ring. Just turns out maybe it wasn't or is just buggy. I don't know.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:57:08 AM

You issued this:

Still don't like to overall tone of this criticisms throughout the thread.

But I do have a question for you. I don't have time to sort through all the insults being thrown around by everyone as I'm doing homework.

What exactly does this exploit reveal in a single ring signature transaction?

A ring signature has multiple possible signers. The idea is that it is suppose to not be possible to tell which previous transaction's output is being spent.

As an example, say some unpopular military attack has to be ordered, but nobody wants to go down in history as the one who ordered it.  If 10 leaders have private keys, one of them could sign the order and you wouldn't know who did it.

In the case of the broken ring signatures in Shadow, you can always tell which leader gave the order (which transaction's output is being spent).

RyanOlstren

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:57:31 AM

It's inexcusable.

No it doesn't. SDT is still functional and SDC ring sig math was fundamentally flawed. I suspect that came from the size changes that were made to increase performance in 2014 which Smooth referenced in December as change he hadn't noticed in the code which I thought at the time was a significant improvement to ring. Just turns out maybe it wasn't or is just buggy. I don't know.

You are in denial. They produced a list of every ring signature of SDC deanonymized.
Pages: « 1 ... 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 [508] 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 ... 612 »
  Print  

Jump to: