Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:41:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 1679 1680 1681 1682 1683 1684 1685 1686 1687 1688 1689 1690 1691 1692 1693 1694 1695 1696 1697 1698 1699 1700 1701 1702 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 [1710] 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312246 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
leea-1334

Activity: 2198
Merit: 953

Temporary forum vacation

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 04:39:00 PM

I think next year is possible but not probable.  My central estimate is q1 2019. What you do in your trousers is of no interest to me.

I am no expert on dash, but consider it conceivable, if unlikely, that it may be 4000 in the same quarter; however, it is at least equally likely that a reflexive cascade of masternode liquidations, or instamine dishoarding, or a high-visibility compromise - take your pick; surely compromise would lead to a torrent of liquidation - will take dash down to double digits, even single, at that time.

I am no expert in either Dash or Monero, but if you look from my simplistic average user (yes, user, nor just hoarder and definitely not trader), then you can understand my long surprise with how they have both turned out so far in terms of price.

I have so many uses for Monero, but only know 1 place that I might use it.

Forget comparisons of tech, both are probably too sophisticated for users like me to utilize 100%. I cannot speculate what Dash or XMR will cost in 2018 or 2019.

But exactly, 4000 is posssible, I can imagine it for DASH. But I can more easily imagine worse things like you point out: MN liquidations, instamine offloading.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.....I AM BLACKJACK.FUN.....
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
roboadvisorcoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 10

Daily AI cryptos forecasts

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2017, 04:43:54 PM

Monero drops down to #9 on coinmarketcap

Monero #3 here https://www.coingecko.com/en

Monero #5 according to our forecasts:https://roboadvisorcoin.com/crypto-predictions/

andromed22

Activity: 346
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 05:59:43 PM

This is temporary, very soon Monero's ranking will be in the top 5. I'm sure , many analysts say that Monero's price will see 200 dollar. It will surely be better soon.
Billy Bunter

Activity: 327
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:21:13 PM

Update on the Monero/Globee initiative:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7d49in/any_news_on_the_globee_secret_project/dpv864h/

Baguette Holder.
KiXiNiT

Activity: 100
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:00:25 PM

This is temporary, very soon Monero's ranking will be in the top 5. I'm sure , many analysts say that Monero's price will see 200 dollar. It will surely be better soon.

lol.. oh ? Who exactly are these "many analysts" (Hoping you aren't referring to people in this thread..)
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:32:49 PM

I have so many uses for Monero, but only know 1 place that I might use it.

I have personally used it directly to pay for art, software, medicine, professional services, and charitable contributions.

You can back a debit card with Monero and spend almost anywhere (uquid, or loaddebitcard.com). You can spend it anywhere any shapeshift.io supported coin is accepted.  You can use it at particularly low fees anywhere BTC is accepted using XMR.to (AFAIK - haven't used any of these myself.)

If you are motivated enough to do the advance research and pay the fees, take the counterparty risks, for any required exchange services, you can do pretty much anything with it.  It is not practical for microtransactions at present, and in some scenarios the fees may be an impediment.  Direct merchant acceptance is the ideal, but that will not become prevalent any time soon at, for example, brick-and-mortar retail.  A very nice first step (for valuation impact) would be Amazon acceptance.  As a prime subscriber, I complain about it to Amazon on a regular basis.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:37:15 PM

Monero #3 here https://www.coingecko.com/en

That discrepancy between the ranking on those two web-sights coupled with the importance of the particular form of unique utility that monero brings to the sector screams bullish opportunity. I might just re-balance my portfolio to more heavily weight monero because of this.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
kriptotr

Activity: 249
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 08:22:26 PM

That's no matter. What matter is that if we can still keep trading Monero with profits. It gave lots of people huge profits after that summer pump. The interest of Chinese people to Monero was simply amazing there.
strickland

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 09:56:43 PM

Maybe.
The price of that Bitcoin should give people more stress because they really have no idea of how many people were waiting to make money through Alts and BTC!

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 10:31:36 PM

I like Monero but I always like to compare my coins to the competition, and in this case, the competition is unfortunately ahead and much more superior than Monero. Zcash, do I need to say more? Why is Zcash the most well capitalized crypto out there (focusing on private transactions?). There must be a reason for that, they simply have a better technology than Monera and this has been confirmed by so many. Monero doesn't even only have such competition, they have other competitors out of their industry (privacy sector) such as Ethereum, which will soon implement the same technology that Zcash is using. So you'll have Ethereum that can do all these crazy things (smart contacts) and do them privately, and then have Monero which can only do one thing, transact privately. Why would you choose Monero over that?

Because one was started from a company and can pitch other companies, while the other is a full open-source project.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 11:21:15 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2017, 12:06:53 AM by aminorex

So if I understand correctly. You are saying that all the public chains will merge into one pool of liquidity due to a ~ 0 transaction cost environment for moving liquidity between chains but that monero will be somewhat protected from this since moving liquidity between chains will have a sort of friction resulting from the transaction cost resulting from information leak. Do I have this right?

If so than I think it is not an apples to apples comparison. Couldn't many more opaque chains come into existence and have 0 friction with monero and rob us of our liquidity just like happened to bitcoin?

When you say "just like happened to bitcoin" I assume that "under the hypothetical scenario of vanishing exchange costs" is implied. I won't quibble over the relation between information and utility; your abstract suffices.

There won't be a vanishing cost XMR exchange unless XMR is modified specifically to allow it, with suitable scripting or some hard-coded facility, e.g. for lightning.  The technical fundamentals need to change in order to magnify the hazard you describe to the point where it is material to valuation. (That is a dead-reckoning estimate of a quantitative factor, and certainly would benefit from additional facts or logic.)

Because one [ZEC] was started from a company and can pitch other companies, while the other [XMR] is a full open-source project.

That is why the (centralized) governance risk of ZEC is so much higher than the (decentralized) governance risk of XMR.  The market prices that in, I think.  Much of the money in BTC is well aware of this factor.  However, prices are set at the margin, and it is also most of the reason for the 20% development tax on ZEC.  I don't think that factor is properly priced in to the marginal clearing price.  Eventually long-term holders will feel the pain of realizing that buying ZEC is effectively giving away 1/5 of their wealth, and reserve demand will suffer as a result.  If ZEC had trustworthy governance, I would have bought some as a  diversifier, but I just can't suffer a scam lightly.

It remains no less useful as a transaction medium, if you don't care about TLA surveillance, and don't hold it too long, but then the same could be said of Doge.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Billy Bunter

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 11:28:43 PM

New P2P exchange - Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Monero:

https://www.ethbits.com

Baguette Holder.
joroz

Activity: 62
Merit: 14

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 12:11:08 AM

Just wish they had picked a better name. Not too late to pivot to Xmrbits.
Billy Bunter

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 01:09:39 AM

Just wish they had picked a better name. Not too late to pivot to Xmrbits.

True dat.

Baguette Holder.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 01:25:44 AM

The technical fundamentals need to change in order to magnify the hazard you describe to the point where it is material to valuation.

I think it was starting to become very material the other day when BCH was sky rocketing and BTC was crashing. Luckily someone with a lot more money than Roger Ver stepped in and provided a floor. We seem to have staved off that specter for now.

But you know there is just an inherent issue with the idea of long term capital preservation in a largely arbitrary scheme that grows less adaptable with time while new competitors constantly become more and more advanced. What we were talking about before with bitcoin is sort of like a subset of this more general issue. Monero solved this. Which is great! We hard fork all the time and it's no sort of governance issue for us at all. It's routine. But we did trade the sort of governance risk that bitcoin faces, growing technologically obsolete while it remains in a state of governance gridlock, for our own unique kind. We opened ourselves up to the risk of bad leadership. Both of these arrangements are less than ideal for the long term multi decade multi generation capital preservation. I'm skeptical that the crypto sector has or will be able to produce a product to fill this particular market need.

But you know if what you speculated about gold is right maybe the real answer is to just buy a Van Gogh.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
pruvast

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 03:59:58 AM

I wish they would tell us an estimated Kovri launch date though. But whatever, still a good coin.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 04:03:43 AM

I wish they would tell us an estimated Kovri launch date though. But whatever, still a good coin.

Estimates of this type typically suck.  It will likely be announced once it's live.  Prior to that, some sharp eyed github watcher will spill the beans, I imagine.
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 12:22:33 PM

Not a cost move, back to the sideways trading, maybe? I really can't understand that a old coin would have so much quantity, a lot of "senior members" all of a sudden speaking for it, the price stays exactly the same for several days on end. Take a look at Doge (urgh) in comparison, the thing is movement, not stagnation.Keep in mind Feathercon? g

Since no one else is answering, I feel a little sorry for you.  I will rise to the bait.

I think you haven't been around long or you would realise some people are more interested in a long term increase in value.

These people do tend to be 'senior' members, since they have learned much over time in crypto and have done well from picking coins early that have become considered the cream of crypto and made HUGE returns, such as Monero. 

Mentioning Doge etc. in relation to Monero is really a bit silly.  I don't think you will find many people consider Doge to have been a good investment.

Good luck with your strategy of trading Doge, though - maybe one day you will have made enough you will be able to afford a decent position in a better investment.

我想要火箭和火车
Billy Bunter

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 01:00:10 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2017, 02:04:38 PM by Billy Bunter

Wherein Fluffy Pony details his plans for Globee world domination:

https://moneromonitor.com/episodes/2017-11-16-Episode-015.html

An interesting listen/read. Very good prospects for Monero.

Baguette Holder.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2017, 02:23:25 PM

Not a cost move, back to the sideways trading, maybe? I really can't understand that a old coin would have so much quantity, a lot of "senior members" all of a sudden speaking for it, the price stays exactly the same for several days on end. Take a look at Doge (urgh) in comparison, the thing is movement, not stagnation.Keep in mind Feathercon? g

Since no one else is answering, I feel a little sorry for you.  I will rise to the bait.

I think you haven't been around long or you would realise some people are more interested in a long term increase in value.

These people do tend to be 'senior' members, since they have learned much over time in crypto and have done well from picking coins early that have become considered the cream of crypto and made HUGE returns, such as Monero. 

Mentioning Doge etc. in relation to Monero is really a bit silly.  I don't think you will find many people consider Doge to have been a good investment.

Good luck with your strategy of trading Doge, though - maybe one day you will have made enough you will be able to afford a decent position in a better investment.

I thought it was another walonek troll when I read "days on end." Do these guys even know where to sit when the music ends?

Pages: « 1 ... 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 1679 1680 1681 1682 1683 1684 1685 1686 1687 1688 1689 1690 1691 1692 1693 1694 1695 1696 1697 1698 1699 1700 1701 1702 1703 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 [1710] 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: