Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:38:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 [1016] 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312390 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 09:40:02 PM

Where do we need to draw the lines now for Aminorex's marketmaking?

I'd like

1.  a BitSquare.io node
2.  a market-making bot to (safely/dispassionately) manage a few 1000 XMR worth of buys and sells on the BitSquare

I believe that's the path towards fixing the potential single point of failure Polo dependency.

It might be easiest to add a bot integral to bitsquare.  This one scores high on page-rank and might be a candidate for the boilerplate: https://github.com/gazbert/bxbot

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
novag

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

novag

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2016, 09:46:13 PM

Storm is coming...

Donate for the support of a new Martial arts Style - Aikivindo = Aikido + Wing-Chun (in Ukraine) 5168757318423326 PrivatBank.
http://aikivindo.com.ua
BTC:1DpRaQjdVmrkSopRV8p9RdwvBMWNA9faCS
sparky999

Activity: 473
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 09:51:19 PM

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/darknet-customers-are-demanding-bitcoin-alternative-monero-cm671031
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 10:04:58 PM

Barbeque  Cool

Market makers get nothing from holders, only from traders.

80% of all day-traders are losers.  20% are gambling addicts.  Rough numbers. (Edit: Mostly, the addicts are a subset of the losers.)

And yes, it is better to buy on a breakout, because every new ATH is preceded by a breakout.

Great post, something 90% of the thread needs to learn from.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 10:11:29 PM

If you will allow me to play devils advocate. I have very little faith in the mental faculties of my fellow man. Consequently I find it hard to believe that dash failed to gain traction on the darknet markets it was introduced on as a result of any sort of technical understanding on the part of market actors. Meaning, to most of them, monero is going to appear indistinguishable. What reason do we have to believe a private currency will gain traction this time when it failed last time?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
primer-
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 10:12:07 PM

Next HARD-FORK is happening in 26 days ?! Which clients will no longer be compatible ?!
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 10:12:52 PM

Just a little light relief. A little dip and I'm buying a few more hundred

obit33

Activity: 514
Merit: 258

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 10:24:15 PM

If you will allow me to play devils advocate. I have very little faith in the mental faculties of my fellow man. Consequently I find it hard to believe that dash failed to gain traction on the darknet markets it was introduced on as a result of any sort of technical understanding on the part of market actors. Meaning, to most of them, monero is going to appear indistinguishable. What reason do we have to believe a private currency will gain traction this time when it failed last time?

If I were a vendor, I would ask risk premia for using bitcoin, or just not accept it at all if I had xmr as an alternative... No need for lots of mental faculties when you're scared

aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 10:31:11 PM

My understanding is that both Oasis and AlphaBay implemented Monero on the basis of demand, rather than speculation or compensation by the currency team.  It is possible that this is just PR and they are doing it on speculation, and already found sufficient profit by front-running the public information.  We will discover that soon enough, by observing listings and transaction volumes.

The lack of multisig is definitely hurting now.  Probably more so than lack of GUI.  A Tor-accessible web wallet with multisig support would be basically as good as a GUI for usability.  In fact it would put us way ahead of Bitcoin in terms of usability.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 10:32:54 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2016, 10:49:03 PM by aminorex

If I were a vendor, I would ask risk premia for using bitcoin, or just not accept it at all if I had xmr as an alternative... No need for lots of mental faculties when you're scared

Certainly the incremental costs of effective laundering (were there such a thing) are an incentive to use XMR instead.  But usually the margins on these things are high enough so that it's almost noise.

In other news, I assume everyone has noticed the 500 BTC (and growing) added to the bid book recently.  Also I notice an occasional ephemeral ~200BTC bid wall.  So much heat, so little light!  Nothing happens because no one is selling.  Lots of liquidity, but not enough price discovery.  Fear is the mind killer.  Maybe this will be a "buy the news" event, after all.  It will remove doubt, when it is accomplished.

Now 36k offered on the ask side.  A response to the whale song from the bid side?  If you assume that any book-sweep will be followed by a support vacuum, it might make sense to short a gob at some reasonably high quote.  That strategy offered some good gains last night, maybe as much as 800bp on the trade if you timed it very nicely.

But no, it appears to be functioning as a scare wall. 

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 10:41:23 PM

I have a hunch that they will release the gui wallet sometime before Monero trading on AlphaBay begins on Sept 1.

Soon..

Well that might be icing on the cake as far as price rise.  Looking forward to the GUI myself.

Not happening before Sep 1.  I will ride the NYC subway naked if the GUI is released before Sept 1st

LOL quoted for posterity.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 10:46:12 PM

My understanding is that both Oasis and AlphaBay implemented Monero on the basis of demand, rather than speculation or compensation by the currency team.  It is possible that this is just PR and they are doing it on speculation, and already found sufficient profit by front-running the public information.  We will discover that soon enough, by observing listings and transaction volumes.

The lack of multisig is definitely hurting now.  Probably more so than lack of GUI.  A Tor-accessible web wallet with multisig support would be basically as good as a GUI for usability.  In fact it would put us way ahead of Bitcoin in terms of usability.

My understanding from what I have read from the oasis team is that almost no one uses multisig. Not only that but people are going further and releasing funds before receiving their product.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 10:49:44 PM

As for price speculation, even though those with skills far beyond mine are predicting significantly lower prices on the horizon I just don't see how that can happen.  Too much new interest and the dnms will not be a bust. 

In case you are talking about rpietila recent posts, which I really enjoy btw, he is clearly talking his book.

Yes and others as well. 

finger on the trigger

I am not in the game, but personally, I think anything under $4 is a steal.  Lucky if you get it.

Yes and Yes Wink

Just a little light relief. A little dip and I'm buying a few more hundred

Yes Cool

Whatever happens it's all good Smiley
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 10:58:23 PM

Because 2 years ago it seems virtually all btc users thought it was anonymous enough and now there is a significant % that realize this is not the case.  Now there are companies whose sole purpose is tracing btc transactions.  It seems even mixers are vulnerable. 

I guess the means having a little faith.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 11:04:19 PM

Because 2 years ago it seems virtually all btc users thought it was anonymous enough and now there is a significant % that realize this is not the case.  Now there are companies whose sole purpose is tracing btc transactions.  It seems even mixers are vulnerable. 

I guess the means having a little faith.

Maybe so Smiley

jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 11:10:33 PM

My understanding from what I have read from the oasis team is that almost no one uses multisig. Not only that but people are going further and releasing funds before receiving their product.

You're right. FE is common practice. Sellers hate multi-sig because of a) bitcoin volatility and b) because they want the bitcoin in hand. And buyers will do whatever the biggest trusted sellers want and buyers accept that every so often, sellers will exit scam. Seems like it's a seller's market. If sellers start demanding XMR, then the buyers will acquire it. If not, then not.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 11:19:40 PM

You're right. FE is common practice. Sellers hate multi-sig because of a) bitcoin volatility and b) because they want the bitcoin in hand. And buyers will do whatever the biggest trusted sellers want and buyers accept that every so often, sellers will exit scam. Seems like it's a seller's market. If sellers start demanding XMR, then the buyers will acquire it. If not, then not.

I think this is more to do with multisig being an inadequate tool (for this particular application) than anything else. It's too easy to send a box with a rock in it the right weight and then show the arbitrator your receipt. So buyers prefer a trusted non multisig seller to a non trusted one accepting multisig. If multisig was a better solution people would prefer the latter.

aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 11:21:30 PM

If that is the case, then I would expect multisig to be associated with low-reputation vendors, and consider that XMR would tend to become associated with high-reputation vendors.  That sort of social signaling feedback loop can be quite powerful.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2016, 12:31:30 AM

Dash uses its own version of Coinjoin, which DNM were already using to tumble.

But Dash's version has far less volume, so mixing takes hours or days.

And most DNM ops understood it was instamined.

Awareness of fungibility, block size, hard forkability, and the dangers of bad crypto (thanks DAO) are at ATH.  XMR was already on the anon community radar since Shen broke Shadowcash, if not earlier.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
aerbax

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2016, 12:53:13 AM

Dash uses its own version of Coinjoin, which DNM were already using to tumble.

But Dash's version has far less volume, so mixing takes hours or days.

And most DNM ops understood it was instamined.

Awareness of fungibility, block size, hard forkability, and the dangers of bad crypto (thanks DAO) are at ATH.  XMR was already on the anon community radar since Shen broke Shadowcash, if not earlier.

This is the best answer, IMO.

It feels to me that this is the third "real" test of cryptocurrencies.  Bitcoin proved that it was possible.  Ethereum almost made it, but the hype vs flaws deflated that dream (which it may eventually overcome - at least for dapps).

This is Monero's time to shine.  And it's ours to lose. 

We have the technical innovation.  We have a great community.  We can do this.

Pages: « 1 ... 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 [1016] 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: