Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:40:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 [989] 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312370 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4893

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 11:18:52 PM

Dude why don´t you just come up into the IRC and ask the questions directly, instead of hoping fluffy is tripping over them here. And if he is not there maybe someone else is capable of answering you

Tripping over them? What? We were in the middle of a conversation and I waited a week for him to answer before I even bumped it. XMR started here and it's where I go to talk about it. And apparently no-one else wanted to address the issue.

Stop acting like i kicked your dog, someone asked a question and I answered honestly. That is all I have done the years I have been posting here. I also prefer to have my questions answered in the main thread as it is a good repository I can search. I hate keeping logs.

I'm fairly certain if you were willing to go out of your way to get the answers to questions you have, you would already have answers. There are other means of communicating than this forum.

Interesting how my offhanded remark (answer to someone else) got sidetracked. If I was losing sleep over it I would have made it an issue then. I just see it as a negative that the conversation got halted before I got to the crux of the conversation which was why add in a protocol with an the same curve we may have to fork away. It didn't make sense from a security standpoint and I wanted a simple answer to the vetting process which instead of getting an answer I got completely ignored. which in itself makes my tinfoil hat tingle.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 11:25:58 PM

Can you stop wasting everyone's time ?

Pretty much every post you make is you crying wolf over something you found by keyword matching, and expecting people to reply to your huge sense of entitlement. That's why people ignore you.

Aren't you the one who said who had the skills to help out, but wouldn't do it because we didn't have a map of the code or something ?
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 11:47:28 PM

We're at $2.46 ... can we please not talk about $1000?

The most likely scenario is that XMR will fail.

How?

It looks to me like there will be a replacement as the development progress has slowed to a crawl.

This is kind of an insult to everyone working on Monero currently. I'd argue that with the RingCT development, 0MQ development, GUI development, the conventional adding of features, and fixing bugs, the development is way more active than last summer.

And I'm still waiting on the log files for the dev discussion of the reasoning and vetting of Zmtp. Not to mention fluffy offhandedly syted that zmpt would be replacing json on remote calls and i've not seen that discussed anywhere, Has this just become the cult of fluffy and what he says goes? 0mq and gui are crowdfunded right? What is dev fund going to? I've never had anything but praise for NobleSir and ringCT is a great boon. And I don't think Noblesir gets funds from the dev fund does he? But a global remark can have exceptions so don't focus on one and try to disprove by that outlier.

Popularity

Curve25519 was first released by Daniel J. Bernstein in 2005,[7] but interest increased considerably after 2013 when it was discovered that the NSA had implemented a backdoor into Dual EC DRBG. While not directly related,[8] suspicious aspects of the NIST's P curve constants[9] led to concerns[10] that the NSA had chosen values that gave them an advantage in factoring[11] public keys.[12]

I no longer trust the constants. I believe the NSA has manipulated them through their relationships with industry
    — Bruce Schneier, The NSA Is Breaking Most Encryption on the Internet (2013)

Since then, Curve25519 has become the de facto alternative to P-256, and is used in a wide variety of applications.[13] In 2014 OpenSSH[14] defaults to Curve25519-based ECDH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve25519

I agree that Wikipedia article isn't as clear as it could be - in that the context of the Bruce Schneier quote isn't particularly clear to readers not familliar with the history of the curves being discussed here.  But I assure you that Bruce was not talking about Curve25519 there.

The reason for the inclusion of that particular quote in the article is to explain why Curve25519 has become popular in recent years:  there are concerns about the choice of constants in other curves, which has resulted in many more people using Curve25519 precisely because there are no such concerns with Curve25519.

Curve25519 is generally considered to be safe.  That said, there are those who worry (Bruce Schneier included) that the NSA may have made advances in the cryptanalysis of ECC in general - but if that's the case then any attacks might affect all curves - or at least, we have no way of knowing which curves are vulnerable.  If that were to be the case, it would be a concern for pretty much all cyrptocurrencies, though - potentially necessitating a move to larger keys (depending on how bad the attack is).

Actually, using a different curve to the one used by Bitcoin and most other coins is a good thing because it gives the market an opportunity to hedge the risk by holding coins that use different curves.  If an attack on ECC is found (by the NSA or someone else) it's quite possible (although by no means a given) that the attack might work better against some curves than others - although there's no real way to know which curves are safer in advance of the attack being found.

Concern for that common seed attack is the reason eds adds entropy correct?

Is now a good time to buy XMR or do you guys think it will come down some and offer a better entry.

I suggest you seek professional financial advice from someone licensed to do such a thing.

With all the experience on this thread I thought that's what I was doing.
 Wink

Picked up a few k though. Hope it pays off.

Experienced != Legally Licensed to give financial advice.

Nor non-agenda!

Can you stop wasting everyone's time ?

Pretty much every post you make is you crying wolf over something you found by keyword matching, and expecting people to reply to your huge sense of entitlement. That's why people ignore you.

Aren't you the one who said who had the skills to help out, but wouldn't do it because we didn't have a map of the code or something ?

Nope, I said I used to have those skills and they have deteriorated and I can no longer function in that area. I really wish I could. If your lucky you'll never have to deal with loss of skills. Anyway nothing is perfect and XMR is the best ALT (actually better than BTC in my mind still) but I do see flaws specifically in the development not being transparent enough.

How are we as a community supposed to monitor the security of the project from the outside without the simple things I've asked for? You guys try to lynch me when I ask FOR FUCKING LOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they don't exist say so. I'd rather see shoddy development then have my questions skirted. Scammers don't answer questions. I never thought I'd see that attitude here.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 11:52:30 PM

Nope, I said I used to have those skills and they have deteriorated and I can no longer function in that area.

Ah, fair enough. I apologize for that part then, I remembered wrong.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 11:55:13 PM

Nope, I said I used to have those skills and they have deteriorated and I can no longer function in that area.

NP. Smiley

shit missed the 1000.

Anyway I'm gonna get back on this in the main thread after everything slows down again. This is not the thread for it anyway. But at least here smooth can nuke it.

jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1103

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 12:00:07 AM

How are we as a community supposed to monitor the security of the project from the outside without the simple things I've asked for? You guys try to lynch me when I ask FOR FUCKING LOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they don't exist say so. I'd rather see shoddy development then have my questions skirted. Scammers don't answer questions. I never thought I'd see that attitude here.

Nobody is trying to lynch you for asking for something, they're just not complying with your demands. It's not exactly polite decorum to say, "IRC sucks and I refuse to use it, but if someone doesn't give me the logs of IRC conversations I'm going to rage and make implications about scamming."

You are aware that there is a stack exchange site now designed for getting answers to specific technical questions. I actually kind of tried to ask the question for you here:
http://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/808/why-was-0mq-selected-to-replace-the-current-rpc-system

The answerers didn't get into specifics of vetting the security of the system that much, but there are some extremely knowledgeable and dedicated folks answering practically every question there. If you're able to formulate a semi-coherent question, I think that would be the best place to get an in-depth answer that will be preserved and easily searchable for a wider swath of users, not just shitcointalkers.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 12:04:44 AM

Alphabay/Oasis is like the perfect, organic PR campaign we were discussing a few pages ago, descending from heavens, packet and ready to go.

This gives a good idea how significant this is. I'm sure it is not uncommon (emphasis added):

Could you give me a couple of the benefits of Monero? I've never heard of it before and don't even know how to acquire it, although I can't imagine its much different than btc
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 12:07:43 AM

If Satoshi is still alive I'm sure he or she is aware of Monero. In this post Satoshi mentions "group signatures", which is the foundation for the usage of ring signatures in the Cryptonote protocol.

Crypto may offer a way to do "key blinding".  I did some research and it was obscure, but there may be something there.  "group signatures" may be related...As an example, say some unpopular military attack has to be ordered, but nobody wants to go down in history as the one who ordered it.  If 10 leaders have private keys, one of them could sign the order and you wouldn't know who did it.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=770.msg9074#msg9074

kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 12:10:22 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2016, 12:32:13 AM by kurious

NP. Smiley

shit missed the 1000.

Anyway I'm gonna get back on this in the main thread after everything slows down again. This is not the thread for it anyway. But at least here smooth can nuke it.

Seems you're on page 1000 now....

It's only a number, but a nice round one, which we humans seem to enjoy marking as landmarks.

Good to see price up at well over the 41 level in time for it.  Now I need it to let me buy back as I have not been around and seem to have a few of my sell points hit - so can we have a quick flash crash and bounce back now, please?

Thanks in anticipation ;-)

EDIT: Back to page 999 now... Someone deleting posts to keep the page count down? Whale manipulation!

我想要火箭和火车
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 12:32:42 AM

Nobody is trying to lynch you for asking for something, they're just not complying with your demands. It's not exactly polite decorum to say, "IRC sucks and I refuse to use it, but if someone doesn't give me the logs of IRC conversations I'm going to rage and make implications about scamming."

You are aware that there is a stack exchange site now designed for getting answers to specific technical questions. I actually kind of tried to ask the question for you here:
http://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/808/why-was-0mq-selected-to-replace-the-current-rpc-system

The answerers didn't get into specifics of vetting the security of the system that much, but there are some extremely knowledgeable and dedicated folks answering practically every question there. If you're able to formulate a semi-coherent question, I think that would be the best place to get an in-depth answer that will be preserved and easily searchable for a wider swath of users, not just shitcointalkers.

Thanks for that link, yeah it doesn't really answer my questions. FYI the reason I want the logs is so that I don't ask questions that have already been answered. I do try to research before asking questions. Problem is I have a ton of questions that really have to be answered in order, as many will answer themselves. For instance, can ZMTP be implemented with a different curve for future proofing? Is it nothing more than a library change or is it baked in?  

BTW I have asked this on other sites FYI this one might have been a good place to ask don't you think? Look where's the response?

http://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/2564/0mq-by-tewinget?page=&noscroll=1#post-5045

Shit said I would drop it. OK I can't remember half the shit I wanted to ask anyway.

DAMMIT, I missed 1k on the delete bye one post again!

ChooseASide

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 12:35:45 AM

Happy 1000 once more.

The next few weeks replayed:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxabLA7UQ9k
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 12:42:21 AM

Happy 1000 once more.

The next few weeks replayed:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxabLA7UQ9k

One delete away from taking that spot from you! Tongue

I speculate banana's for once.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2s8rjl

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2016, 02:31:20 AM

Originally published at https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkNetMarkets/comments/4yv1dc/oasis_we_now_accept_monero_xmr/

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Hello,

Since our last reddit announcement, we've updated Oasis introducing new interesting features, here's what we've done:

1) It is now possible to place orders using the Monero (XMR) cryptocurrency (Vendors obviously need to accept it by editing their listings).

2) We now ask everyone to set their own secret question and answer (those are mandatory and they will be used to recover your account details).

3) The site now warns you when you click on an external website link and it asks you to confirm that you really want to visit it.

Thank you very much for choosing us,

Oasis
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
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=GojJ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 02:50:40 AM

Posting on historic 1000th page of the Monero Speculation topic.  I predict a vicious, though short battle for the magic post at the top.  

This topic is like a limited blockchain - you can selectively modify what's happened before by deleting your old posts, but that's about it.  

A lot has changed in the last 500 pages.... Here's looking forward to our inevitable 2000th page.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 03:02:30 AM

Posting on historic 1000th page of the Monero Speculation topic.  I predict a vicious, though short battle for the magic post at the top.  

This topic is like a limited blockchain - you can selectively modify what's happened before by deleting your old posts, but that's about it.  

A lot has changed in the last 500 pages.... Here's looking forward to our inevitable 2000th page.

Monero thread is like the Universe: First expansion, then contraction.
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2016, 03:18:34 AM

Here's to your classic discovery of such modifications:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=753252.msg12707479#msg12707479

Good times...  Cheesy
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2016, 03:19:58 AM

Monero thread is like the Universe: First expansion, then contraction.

Oh god... here we go again with your bearishness.  First Bullish, then Bearish... until your Bullish the next week again.

Rinse, repeat.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 03:50:35 AM

68% of the valuation of XMRBTC is theorized to consist of dark market energy.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Blazin8888

Activity: 672

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 03:55:58 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2016, 04:29:16 AM by Blazin8888

BITCOIN SEIZURES ON THE RISE:

1. http://www.newsbtc.com/2016/08/16/340000-euro-worth-bitcoin-seized-darknet-bust/

2. http://fortune.com/2016/08/08/government-seized-bitcoin-auction/

3. http://www.coindesk.com/new-york-police-win-fincen-award-bitcoin-investigation/

4. http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/why-criminals-cant-hide-behind-bitcoin

http://imgur.com/a/n4a0P

POSTS ON BITCOIN + ANONYMITY BY SATOSHI:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=8

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=13.msg15997365#msg15997365
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7.new#new

wish satoshi was here...
americanpegasus

Activity: 770

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 03:57:42 AM

68% of the valuation of XMRBTC is theorized to consist of dark market energy.

Well it really gets into the Fermi paradox.  We know there must be a lot of NVidia cards out there mining Monero - simple math would suggest it to be true.  But where are they?  And why haven't they funded development of a better miner?

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
Pages: « 1 ... 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 [989] 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: