Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:20:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 [987] 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312370 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
eizh

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 03:28:35 AM

It looks to me like there will be a replacement as the development progress has slowed to a crawl. Not to mention Diffie-Hellman elliptic Curve25519 is considered not safe.

I no longer trust the constants. I believe the NSA has manipulated them through their relationships with industry
— Bruce Schneier

Should I continue?

This is exactly backwards. Schneier was referring to the constants of the NIST curves. Curve25519 is not a NIST curve, which is precisely why it's been very popular among cryptographers in recent years.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4893

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 03:35:41 AM

It looks to me like there will be a replacement as the development progress has slowed to a crawl. Not to mention Diffie-Hellman elliptic Curve25519 is considered not safe.

I no longer trust the constants. I believe the NSA has manipulated them through their relationships with industry
— Bruce Schneier

Should I continue?

This is exactly backwards. Schneier was referring to the constants of the NIST curves. Curve25519 is not a NIST curve, which is precisely why it's been very popular among cryptographers in recent years.

From what I understand it has to do with the selection of common constants but I'm not going to research it again.

Popularity

Curve25519 was first released by Daniel J. Bernstein in 2005,[7] but interest increased considerably after 2013 when it was discovered that the NSA had implemented a backdoor into Dual EC DRBG. While not directly related,[8] suspicious aspects of the NIST's P curve constants[9] led to concerns[10] that the NSA had chosen values that gave them an advantage in factoring[11] public keys.[12]

— Bruce Schneier, The NSA Is Breaking Most Encryption on the Internet (2013)

Since then, Curve25519 has become the de facto alternative to P-256, and is used in a wide variety of applications.[13] In 2014 OpenSSH[14] defaults to Curve25519-based ECDH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve25519

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
birr

Activity: 868
Merit: 584

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 03:52:01 AM

The monero network is still small and weak enough that it's vulnerable to an attack by the state, is it not?
It would cost the U.S. government peanuts to attack monero and crush it.

Do you think they dont have better work to do?  Like save the white whales or polar bears or something.
[irony]
Of course!  The government isn't going to fuck your shit up.
They never do that.
[/irony]
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 04:20:22 AM

We're at $2.46 ... can we please not talk about $1000?

The most likely scenario is that XMR will fail.

How?

Failure to continue to gain use adoption and investor demand, resulting in a terminal decline as participants bleed away to pursue solutions elsewhere. I don't see that happening at all right now, but that is the hypothetical.

Do you think Monero will rise to 1000 usd/xmr? How realistic you guys see it reaching 1000 usd (assuming btc is more or less the same as today)?
Zero chance. Don't be greedy.

I would say low but zero chance is also an absurd statement. 1000 USD/XMR would not even be a very high market cap by the standards of global assets. Absent failure, 1000 USD/XMR is likely.

@Heuristic there are no significant known or reasonably suspected problems with Curve25519. I have no idea where you are getting that from.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4893

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 04:48:41 AM

@Heuristic there are no significant known or reasonably suspected problems with Curve25519. I have no idea where you are getting that from.

I read it from a guy. So why is Shen recommending ed's Twisted? All Crypto eventually gets broken, we all know this. The question is what are the contingency plans.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 05:23:27 AM

How?

Failure to continue to gain use adoption and investor demand, resulting in a terminal decline as participants bleed away to pursue solutions elsewhere. I don't see that happening at all right now, but that is the hypothetical.

Do you think Monero will rise to 1000 usd/xmr? How realistic you guys see it reaching 1000 usd (assuming btc is more or less the same as today)?
Zero chance. Don't be greedy.

I would say low but zero chance is also an absurd statement. 1000 USD/XMR would not even be a very high market cap by the standards of global assets. Absent failure, 1000 USD/XMR is likely.

He said based on assumption BTC at same level as today. Makes a big difference.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 05:59:33 AM

Dude why don´t you just come up into the IRC and ask the questions directly, instead of hoping fluffy is tripping over them here. And if he is not there maybe someone else is capable of answering you

Tripping over them? What? We were in the middle of a conversation and I waited a week for him to answer before I even bumped it. XMR started here and it's where I go to talk about it. And apparently no-one else wanted to address the issue.

Stop acting like i kicked your dog, someone asked a question and I answered honestly. That is all I have done the years I have been posting here. I also prefer to have my questions answered in the main thread as it is a good repository I can search. I hate keeping logs.

I'm fairly certain if you were willing to go out of your way to get the answers to questions you have, you would already have answers. There are other means of communicating than this forum.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 06:09:31 AM

What I am anticipating (which no one can 100% accurately predict) is when will there be the first big XMR theft or hack. This could mean that Poloniex or another exchange or marketplace gets hacked (not saying they will, but it has a > 0% chance of happening).

That could be an interesting precedent in how the economy/law enforcement etc react to such a theft/hack.

Up until now there hasn't been "news-worthy" hacks/thefts of XMR...yet.

I suspect it will happen sooner or later and price may or may not take a dump. From past experience all hacks are followed with price dumps.

Probably after monero has a bull run will it be worth a hacker stealing some XMR.

All just speculation for now...

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 08:34:24 AM

What I am anticipating (which no one can 100% accurately predict) is when will there be the first big XMR theft or hack. This could mean that Poloniex or another exchange or marketplace gets hacked (not saying they will, but it has a > 0% chance of happening).

That could be an interesting precedent in how the economy/law enforcement etc react to such a theft/hack.

Up until now there hasn't been "news-worthy" hacks/thefts of XMR...yet.

I suspect it will happen sooner or later and price may or may not take a dump. From past experience all hacks are followed with price dumps.

Probably after monero has a bull run will it be worth a hacker stealing some XMR.

All just speculation for now...

Wasn´t Mintpal a relative big thing? Where Moneroj were safe because the wallet design was different to BTC and its clones?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 09:29:32 AM

How?

It looks to me like there will be a replacement as the development progress has slowed to a crawl.

This is kind of an insult to everyone working on Monero currently. I'd argue that with the RingCT development, 0MQ development, GUI development, the conventional adding of features, and fixing bugs, the development is way more active than last summer.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
sandiman

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 10:21:15 AM

Doing it for you guys :

find Mastering the Trade by John F Carter and go to The case study you won't read about at harvard business school.

XMR is going through a very basic set up, and lot's of people are going to get trapped at the top.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 10:32:10 AM
Last edit: August 21, 2016, 11:23:38 AM by smooth

I read it from a guy. So why is Shen recommending ed's Twisted? All Crypto eventually gets broken, we all know this. The question is what are the contingency plans.

In almost all cases of non-stupid crypto the "breaking" takes the form of theoretical weaknesses that aren't practically usable for an actual attack until years later if ever, but reduce the security margin to an uncomfortable level. At that point you replace it with something else and people have ample opportunity to switch over. Nothing like that is even on the horizon right now.

I know Shen has been looking at various things, even post-quantum stuff. I have no idea how far long that exploration is at this point.

You should continue... we are not cryptographers. Are you saying that they have a backdoor to XMR?. Is this curve reemplazable in a common hard fork?

If by reemplazable you meant replaceable as I think you did then of course, anything can be changed with a hard fork.

How?

— Bruce Schneier

Should I continue?

you are underestimating the amount of effort to build something like Cryptonote, it blows Zcash away, the darknet has spoken and its going with Monero.

about the curve, looks like you missed these commits.

A proposal to change to one of edwards twisted curves?  Has this been voted on? Set for a hard fork date? Ignored? Left to be implemented in a competing project? Which really brings up other questions along the lines of the ones I had that fluffy stopped answering.

That's not a change at all. What was done there is replace separate copy of the crypto library in Monero with the exact unmodified crypto library from its original source. That eliminates the possibility that the Monero crypto library was somehow modified to introduce a back door (though it has been reviewed and wasn't, this makes that fact more transparent)
Roy Badami

Activity: 563

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 11:04:52 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2016, 08:18:55 PM by Roy Badami

Popularity

Curve25519 was first released by Daniel J. Bernstein in 2005,[7] but interest increased considerably after 2013 when it was discovered that the NSA had implemented a backdoor into Dual EC DRBG. While not directly related,[8] suspicious aspects of the NIST's P curve constants[9] led to concerns[10] that the NSA had chosen values that gave them an advantage in factoring[11] public keys.[12]

— Bruce Schneier, The NSA Is Breaking Most Encryption on the Internet (2013)

Since then, Curve25519 has become the de facto alternative to P-256, and is used in a wide variety of applications.[13] In 2014 OpenSSH[14] defaults to Curve25519-based ECDH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve25519

I agree that Wikipedia article isn't as clear as it could be - in that the context of the Bruce Schneier quote isn't particularly clear to readers not familliar with the history of the curves being discussed here.  But I assure you that Bruce was not talking about Curve25519 there.

The reason for the inclusion of that particular quote in the article is to explain why Curve25519 has become popular in recent years:  there are concerns about the choice of constants in other curves, which has resulted in many more people using Curve25519 precisely because there are no such concerns with Curve25519.

Curve25519 is generally considered to be safe.  That said, there are those who worry (Bruce Schneier included) that the NSA may have made advances in the cryptanalysis of ECC in general - but if that's the case then any attacks might affect all curves - or at least, we have no way of knowing which curves are vulnerable.  If that were to be the case, it would be a concern for pretty much all cyrptocurrencies, though - potentially necessitating a move to larger keys (depending on how bad the attack is).

Actually, using a different curve to the one used by Bitcoin and most other coins is a good thing because it gives the market an opportunity to hedge the risk by holding coins that use different curves.  If an attack on ECC is found (by the NSA or someone else) it's quite possible (although by no means a given) that the attack might work better against some curves than others - although there's no real way to know which curves are safer in advance of the attack being found.

EDIT: Actually, looks like I was wrong - Monero uses Ed25519 and EdDSA (not Curve25519 and ECDSA).  So it shares even less crypto with most other coins that I had thought.
Roy Badami

Activity: 563

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 11:21:22 AM

Also, more generally than just choice of curve, the CryptoNote coins (of which Monero is one) are rare amongst cryptocurrencies in sharing very little of the cryptographic design of Bitcoin.  So in the event that a flaw is found in Bitcoin's cryptographic design, there's a reasonable chance it might not affect Monero (or vice versa).

The one obvious advantage that Bitcoin does currently have over CryptoNote is that its design (which has remained fundamentally unchanged since it's initial launch) has been very widely studied over the years since then.  Generally this kind of widespread review is the only way to gain assurance that there are no flaws in a cryptographic protocol, and Monero has inevitably had fewer cryptographic eyes on it.

Of course, in the very near future Bitcoin is likely to deploy segwit.  Although segwit doesn't change the underlying cryptography, a significant change to cryptographic protocol always carries a risk of unintended consequences - so it becomes harder to argue that Bitcoin, in its post-segwit future form - will have had the same number of eyes on it.
Altitude

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 12:56:23 PM

Is now a good time to buy XMR or do you guys think it will come down some and offer a better entry.

I suggest you seek professional financial advice from someone licensed to do such a thing.

With all the experience on this thread I thought that's what I was doing.
 Wink

Picked up a few k though. Hope it pays off.

Altitude,
Simplicity in everything
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 01:30:06 PM

Is now a good time to buy XMR or do you guys think it will come down some and offer a better entry.

I suggest you seek professional financial advice from someone licensed to do such a thing.

Wink

Experienced != Legally Licensed to give financial advice.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Dumb broad

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 02:18:12 PM

Wink

Experienced != Legally Licensed to give financial advice.

I've always thought the whole point of crypto was to avoid those ignorant scam artists legally licensed to give financial advice.
To whit...

nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Dumb broad

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 02:20:42 PM

Anyway, price continues to go up while folks on this thread get more gloomy with talk of hacks and development 'fails' - could there be a correlation.

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 02:36:10 PM

Anyway, price continues to go up while folks on this thread get more gloomy with talk of hacks and development 'fails' - could there be a correlation.

The dilemma suggested: Malevolence or incompetence.  If this dilemma is not a false one, abductively we can conclude: Competent persons of good will are bullish.

The argument is formally correct, but it's soundness depends upon a consistent binding of the ground-terms to the prevailing circumstance.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2016, 02:49:39 PM

I speculate that this is helping. The exchange rates that are showing everywhere in the site looks like a good advertisement for starters. No vendors spotted accepting xmr after 2 minutes of looking.

Pages: « 1 ... 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 [987] 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: