Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:47:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 [984] 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312370 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 02:18:09 PM

Ofcourse. Monero community for the first time started to talk about Marketing.

Marketing are not only clicks on adds. But we can save a whale from evil Japanese Whale hunters and whole world will write how Monero save it.  But i guess that might be a bit to expensive. 
But if that happens I am sure no one in Monero community will say that those who organized it did wrong since Gold dont need any proactivity that people see its shine.
wait what. how can we save a whale?
Sounds like sponsoring Sea Shepard...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycyCfK14axw

Eff that. We are all about understanding the power of markets here right? Let's crowd fund a bounty on the sinking of a whaling ship. Cheesy Forget the greed activist fags, lets hire pirates!

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 02:24:23 PM

Wow, Monero is impressive!

character of its leadership... exquisitely tuned feature set... deeply informed cryptographic design... maturity and knowledgeability... scope and... credibility of its ambitions.

Damn you sold me. Ill take your finest vintage.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 02:26:25 PM

As an outsider I'd suggest Amanda B. Johnson style marketing is in bad taste. It would do more harm to your cause than good.
Stay classy up there.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 02:37:44 PM

As an outsider I'd suggest Amanda B. Johnson style marketing is in bad taste. It would do more harm to your cause than good.
Stay classy up there.

Do you think thanks to her Darkcoin has a marketcap of 100 million?
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 02:43:05 PM

Stay classy up there.

I stopped trying to figure out why people buy broken shit a long time ago.  Undecided

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
MooneroShill

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 02:45:58 PM

You need to educate yourself on how coinmarketcap calculates marketcaps and stop being amazed by that arbitrary number.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 02:49:37 PM

We just need the GUI asap.

Honestly, and this is going to sound crazy, but I'm not sure this is right. Every time I use the client I cant help but nerd out over how awesome the command line interface is. Suppose we had instead a really well produced really highly polished short guide on how to use the command line interface easily accessible. Its not hard to use at all. There is no reason why anyone couldn't learn in a few minutes. So suppose our normal dark net market user (how ever normal one of those people can ever be) does take a few minutes to watch the short guide.

Now just picture it in your head. A normal(ish) person going on the dark net using moneros awesomely hacker flick inspired interface. Let me put it this way. If normal(ish) guys mother were watching she would think she were watching sword fish. It actually looks and feels like a prop from a movie like that. Which perfectly matches with the sort of thing our guy is actually using it for. The interface so perfectly matches the tone of its main use case (atleast right now). It distinguishes it from bitcoin as the more serious dark net tool that it actually is. When you use the monero interface you dont feel like you are using just another alt coin, and you arent, so in a way this is a good thing.

Yea ok this small barrier deters some marginal prospective users. Of course. But we shouldn't ignore the fact that it probably increases retention of those who do overcome that small hurdle. Even if a great dev supported gui did exist I for one would almost certainly continue using the command line version as long as it was still supported as well.

Just some of my thoughts, interested in yours.

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 02:54:56 PM

You need to educate yourself on how coinmarketcap calculates marketcaps and stop being amazed by that arbitrary number.

What do you mean?
There is around 50 % less Darkcoins (6-7 mil) issued compared with Monero (12 mil) so it should be easier to pump Monero's marketcap. Each 1 dollar rise represents 12 million dollar rise in Monero's and merely 6-7 million dollar rise in Darkcoin's market capitalizations.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 03:01:26 PM

What do you mean?
There is around 50 % less Darkcoins (6-7 mil) issued compared with Monero (12 mil) so it should be easier to pump Monero's marketcap. Each 1 dollar rise represents 12 million dollar rise in Monero's and merely 6-7 million dollar rise in Darkcoin's market capitalizations.

Hes talking about what I like to call the ripple effect (since ripple is the poster child for this bait and switch). The price is a function of supply and demand (obviously) but coinmarketcap conflates currency supply for actual supply on the market.

So with ripple (havn't followed ripple so these figures could be out of date) the ripple foundation owns like 90% of the currency supply (or something like that dont quote me as a ripple expert). So only 10% is actually trading on the market at any given time. So the price is a function of the supply and demand in the market where only 10% of the total supply in existance is trading. Coin market cap then proceeds to multiply the price times the TOTAL currency supply rather than the supply in the market.

My understanding with dash is master nodes who facilitate coinjoin transactions (and are compensated well for this privilege) must hold a very large dash stake in perpetuity. So in effect this supply is locked out of the market. Even though in this case its a dash cartel locking away all of the funds rather than a single monopolist in the case of ripple, its the same effect. (yes i over use parentheses)

MrGood

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

Chief Technology Officer, NYC

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2016, 03:06:11 PM

Now just picture it in your head. A normal(ish) person going on the dark net using moneros awesomely hacker flick inspired interface. Let me put it this way. If normal(ish) guys mother were watching she would think she were watching sword fish. It actually looks and feels like a prop from a movie like that. Which perfectly matches with the sort of thing our guy is actually using it for. The interface so perfectly matches the tone of its main use case (atleast right now). It distinguishes it from bitcoin as the more serious dark net tool that it actually is. When you use the monero interface you dont feel like you are using just another alt coin, and you arent, so in a way this is a good thing.

Yea ok this small barrier deters some marginal prospective users. Of course. But we shouldn't ignore the fact that it probably increases retention of those who do overcome that small hurdle. Even if a great dev supported gui did exist I for one would almost certainly continue using the command line version as long as it was still supported as well.

It's a cute theory, but really, emulating hacker movies is not really what Monero is trying to achieve here. We're talking about a $30 million marketcap. The majority of users simply require functionality.

• Mr Asuki from the Japanese Yakuza just needs to be in and out without any fuss. He has no experience of command-line.
  • Madame X is a spanish anarchist. She just needs to be in and out without any fuss. She has no experience of command-line.
  • Abd al Hakim is a Syrian refugee trying to escape to Pakistan. He just needs to be in and out without any fuss. He has no experience of command-line.
  • Kang Sok Ju is a North Korean defector trying to make his way to Europe. He just needs to be in and out without any fuss. He has no experience of command-line.
  • Gus Fring is a Chilean chicken vendor. He just needs to be in and out without any fuss. He has no experience of command-line.

And so it continues...
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 03:15:45 PM

It's a cute theory, but really, emulating hacker movies is not really what Monero is trying to achieve here.

No and I never claimed it was. I'm just pointing at what I see.

We're talking about a $30 million marketcap. The majority of users simply require functionality.

• Mr Asuki from the Japanese Yakuza just needs to be in and out without any fuss. He has no experience of command-line.
  • Madame X is a spanish anarchist. She just needs to be in and out without any fuss. She has no experience of command-line.
  • Abd al Hakim is a Syrian refugee trying to escape to Pakistan. He just needs to be in and out without any fuss. He has no experience of command-line.
  • Kang Sok Ju is a North Korean defector trying to make his way to Europe. He just needs to be in and out without any fuss. He has no experience of command-line.
  • Gus Fring is a Chilean chicken vendor. He just needs to be in and out without any fuss. He has no experience of command-line.

And so it continues...

This might be right. I'm not sure to what extent I'm able to judge just how difficult it would be for Gus Fring. I mean you dont have to navigate to it in the command line. There are stand alone executable right in the directory. You just double click bitmonerod. Then double click simple wallet. I guess the "hard" part is understanding how to format inputs? Like: transfer [mixin] [address] [amount] [payment id]. Is that the hard part?

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 03:17:40 PM

It's a cute theory, but really, emulating hacker movies is not really what Monero is trying to achieve here. We're talking about a $30 million marketcap. The majority of users simply require functionality.

And so it continues...

Farhan Mohamed Jaama  a Somalian pirate needs to as easily to use of the wallet since he will need untraceably sell the Japanese Whale fishing boat he will hijack to save the Whale population from extinction. Sadly he has no experience of command-line. So his humanitarian mission was sadly delayed.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 03:19:31 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2016, 03:31:30 PM by aminorex

2 DNMs is exp(2) times better.  SR took BTC to 1bn USD cap.  Given the more competitive landscape, I think 10-20 USD XMR is a pretty safe range expectation after actual usage on the order of 10% of markets are has been established.  This will grow over time, slowly, and once cap is on the order of 400mm USD, with XMR in the region of 1oz Ag, XMR should be liquid enough to start using it as a SME/agency transaction channel for smallish, sensitive, transfers.  (Although, modulo usability concerns, I am sure the Mossad will prefer zcash, the FSB and CIA are likely to prefer Monero.)

That is when things really get interesting, about 2 years from now, simultaneous with global hyperinflation.  (Timing could not be better.) You see, when that happens it becomes eligible as a high net-worth individuals reserve diversification, as the DNM stigma is diluted. Think about the trillions in antiquities and jewels stored in freeport warehouses in Singapore and Switzerland, etc., out of view of prying tax collectors! How much more liquidity and growth potential if those cultural artifacts were replaced with Monero? Bitcoin is just not a candidate due to chain transparency.  It will be a good time for XMR holders to collect art, then, as supply/demand balance will be favorable for a few years. 

But I do tend to get ahead of myself...

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
MooneroShill

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 03:26:02 PM

What do you mean?

Precisely this:
Hes talking about what I like to call the ripple effect (since ripple is the poster child for this bait and switch). The price is a function of supply and demand (obviously) but coinmarketcap conflates currency supply for actual supply on the market.

[Dash Masternodes] .. So in effect this supply is locked out of the market. Even though in this case its a dash cartel locking away all of the funds rather than a single monopolist in the case of ripple, its the same effect.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 03:33:55 PM

Farhan Mohamed Jaama  a Somalian pirate ...

You've definitely got a pirate thing going on.  You might enjoy "One-piece”, if you like anime.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
MooneroShill

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 03:34:59 PM

Even if a great dev supported gui did exist I for one would almost certainly continue using the command line version as long as it was still supported as well.

You are a nerd (no offense) and different from 99% of the rest of the population  Smiley

Even DNM users aren't necessarily tech savvy, it's not like you need 1337-skills to download tor browser and navigate to a url.

I use the CLI wallet and agree that it's not difficult, but I also understand why people don't like using it or won't even try.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 03:50:28 PM

I wonder if the third time will be the charm.  Kinda feels like it.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 04:21:56 PM

Even if a great dev supported gui did exist I for one would almost certainly continue using the command line version as long as it was still supported as well.

Support for simplewallet would likely never cease to exist.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Blazin8888

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 04:29:14 PM

Honestly, and this is going to sound crazy, but I'm not sure this is right. Every time I use the client I cant help but nerd out over how awesome the command line interface is. Suppose we had instead a really well produced really highly polished short guide on how to use the command line interface easily accessible. Its not hard to use at all. There is no reason why anyone couldn't learn in a few minutes. So suppose our normal dark net market user (how ever normal one of those people can ever be) does take a few minutes to watch the short guide.

Very wise thoughts. I like XMR.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 04:46:04 PM

What do you mean?

Precisely this:

[Dash Masternodes] .. So in effect this supply is locked out of the market. Even though in this case its a dash cartel locking away all of the funds rather than a single monopolist in the case of ripple, its the same effect.

I read the Anon's answear and it was well written, thank you.

Also Monero is not that decentrilized when it comes to the owners. Probably Risto, Warz and a few whales control so high portion of the coin supply that they can wipe everybody out if they so want by dumping Monero literally to the lowest sections of Orwellian hell.
So, the situation is fundamentally the same: In Monero the large owners are whales, in Darkcoin the large owners are the masternodes.
Pages: « 1 ... 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 [984] 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: