Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:33:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 [1137] 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312567 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
N-rG

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 01:43:06 PM

Those who buy when everyone else lose confidence will profit most. Those that buy when everyone is confident will lose most.

That's the point. Panic people lose. When you buy at 025 and it corrects to 015 you are virtualle in minus. But as long as you dont sell you are not. Sure bagholding makes not always sense.

But in that case it does. Monero is way underated.

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/

BTC has ~16 Million coins out and is at 600$
Ethereum has ~84 Million coins and is at 13$
Ripple...
LTC
Monero has 13 Million coins and is at 9,60$

Monero is first superior to BTC. Moreover with hardly no other coin except BTC and XMR you can buy anything.

Compare now ETH and XMR. Break ETH down to 13 Million Coins than you are at 84$ per coin. Thats way to much for a coin you basically cannot buy anything, the core function never was to pay with and has already technical difficulties.

~4 weeks ago AB announced the introduction to its market. First two buy waves were kinda hype. But there is a solid demand for XMR and a really good future for XMR. There is no competitor (i know now zcash fanboys argue, but zcash is no competitor in my eyes (look back in this Thread I explained why))

XMR proviedes any feature needed for many different purposes.

The only thing i dont like is the name Monero Roll Eyes

The start of monero could been better when the GUI were already released to the time AB implement XMR. But this will only slow down the transition from BTC to XMR.

I maybe it doesnt appear clear: I agree to your post in general Wink
When you bought at 025 you just have not much coins as you could have with 015. But anyway. If you bought at 9$ or 12$ doesnt matter when the coin is soon at 80 (ETH) or more Dollars. And i agree, next crisis would also increase the demand dramatically.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 02:02:40 PM

cmon are you joking? ETH is a 1 Billion Dollar Bubble. Its about contract not coins. Look at the 1 Month chart. A lot of ppl will lose a lot of money.

Disclaimer: I hold BTC, XMR and ETH, I consider them all to be apart of the growing Crypto economy.

I believe that you're wrong about the ETH market cap.

There are many people already transacting goods in Ether, ETH is being used not only to power contracts but also act as the store of value and transfer of value for many ICO's that are happening on the Ethereum chain.

Trust me, if ETH was only for gas none of this would be happening.

It's a currency, as much as Bitcoin is.

But it's not a competitor to Monero, it's not anonymous and from my research no one wants ETH to be anonymous.

(Although they are looking to closely integrate with an anonymous carrier currency for adding privacy to smart contracts.)

I am told constantly by many investors that Crypto currency communities are toxic, and I can see why. Here we are talking about the future of anonymous transactions and anonymous stores of value and there are people like you that are believers in what I call "onecoin".

This is the flawed concept that there can only be the one coin, no matter what that coin does.

It makes you as bad as the Bitcoiners that believe no matter what blockchain advances happen in the future, all progress shall halt as Bitcoin was made perfect in Satoshi's image.

My recommendation.

Stop being that guy, stop being a onecoiner.

There is room for a smart contracts platform and yes, ETH is the coin for that platform and yes it's very much a store of value. Even today it's being used in many ways that are not just for "gas".

However there is also room for anonymous coins, where the entire blockchain exists for that one purpose.

Monero could be/is that coin, your main competitor isn't going to be ETH, it's going to be Zcash.

Consider this, I used to be a onecoiner but realised that many of these projects are very much apples to oranges.

The market can carry more than one coin, as long as those different coins serve a purpose.

Your attitude towards ETH is toxic.

Let's stop.

My opinion here? I believe that the market can sustain multiple anonymous coins on the basis that they satisfy the following:

1) They have proper anonymous capabilities.
2) They have good development teams.
3) They have active communities.
4) They are used in trade/goods.
5) They have different tech.

This last one is really important. The market will not sustain two large economies around two coins with the same tech, it's pointless. Look at Litecoin and Bitcoin.

However Cryptonote is very different from Zcash.

This is good.

That means that people that want to trade and park their money in an anonymous currency now have two technologies to choose from.

And anyone smart will put their money in both. (hedging in case the tech in one of them ever fails)

Of course (1) matters here too, hence why Dash will not be apart of any serious consideration for an anonymous coin.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 02:13:57 PM

When do you think the resistance of 0.019 will be broken and Monero is ready to stabilize above 0.02 for preparing the rocket countdown to the Moon?
N-rG

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 02:18:30 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2016, 02:34:56 PM by N-rG

@drawingthesun

You are wrong. ETH as a (payment) coin is useless. And thats my point.

With ONE ETH you can form trillion shares, tickets and voucher points for example.
1000 ETH should be enough to handle all assets and tokens on this planet forever.

And thats exactly why ETH is a bubble. People like you dont understand what i say because they dont understand how ETH is working. I do. And thats why i'm right when i compare ETH and XMR in the matter of price. ETH has no financial value cause as you correctly said, its main purpose is not financial. It's contracts! I never said ETH has no valid reason to exist. But really, i dont care buddy if you invest in ETH, do what makes you happy Smiley
I know how this financial hype about ETH will end. And when the crash comes, ETH will still exist and work. But maybe than all traders will go to understand what ETH actually is made for.

And another thing:
Any contract which is written into the Ethereum block chain, is on all computers that form a knot. Because the Ethereum block Chain deals generously with space (cause its contracts!!) and makes it in principle any information and any program easy to be written to it, it grows rapidly.

For a payment system that has proven its worth in its decentralized nature, this is not an advantage for sure. One can argue about how much there is a drawback - but not that there is one. The Bitcoin is currently faced with the scalability problem; Ethereum will still run on it. Such a growing volume of data can lead to a massive centralization of nodes or, in the worst case, even affect the synchronicity of the network. This uncertainty carries Ethereum with in the future.
el testosteron

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 02:35:43 PM

When do you think the resistance of 0.019 will be broken and Monero is ready to stabilize above 0.02 for preparing the rocket countdown to the Moon?
When it bubbles to 03 I feel it will stabilize above 019. Could happen as soon as mid oct but prob not between mid Oct and the elections as I expect people to load up on btc.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 02:44:43 PM

@drawingthesun

You are wrong. ETH as a (payment) coin is useless. And thats my point.

With ONE ETH you can form trillion shares, tickets and voucher points for example.
1000 ETH should be enough to handle all assets and tokens on this planet forever.

I think you have countered your own point with your own stats.

Obviously ETH is something more than just gas.

And thats exactly why ETH is a bubble. People like you dont understand what i say because they dont understand how ETH is working. I do. And thats why i'm right when i compare ETH and XMR in the matter of price. ETH has no financial value cause as you correctly said, its main purpose is not financial. It's contracts! I never said ETH has no valid reason to exist. But really, i dont care buddy if you invest in ETH, do what makes you happy Smiley
I know how this financial hype about ETH will end. And when the crash comes, ETH will still exist and work. But maybe than all traders will go to understand what ETH actually is made for.

What makes you so sure that ETH has this one and only purpose?
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 02:45:43 PM

When it bubbles to 03 I feel it will stabilize above 019. Could happen as soon as mid oct but prob not between mid Oct and the elections as I expect people to load up on btc.

Or if BTC actually falls down a lot further then 0.03 might be a good stability point as it's USD value would remain the same. (Possibly)
N-rG

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 02:50:05 PM

Please stop trolling around and read properly. https://www.ethereum.org

Back to important things:

LOAN OFFERSTotal: 369280.53237829 XMR (20th Sept.)
LOAN OFFERSTotal: 206596.35664249 XMR (27th Setp.)
LOAN OFFERSTotal: 230399.83850490 XMR (today)

So there is a lot room to go up to at least 190+ soon when the shorters close their positions.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 03:21:22 PM

So there is a lot room to go up to at least 190+ soon when the shorters close their positions.

In the history the short positions are closed by some whale dumping their coins to the covering bids. I hope this time it is different and the short closing season will take place by pumping Monero.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 03:32:32 PM

Obviously when the core/official GUI is released.  So that makes it either:

A) soon™
or
B) 2 weeks
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 04:22:49 PM

This doesn't account for people who just removed their coins from lending ^

Hard to use these numbers as anything indicative of current open shorts.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

thetruefelipe

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 05:23:17 PM

Hello guys, I am new in this forum however I was watching this thread for almost 2 months now, bought some XMR and bagholding it...
My question is if there would be any point in setting up a XMR ATM, like a lot of people already did with bitcoin. And of course make some small profit out of fees.
I am interested about your opinion, or is it even possible with the lack of GUI?
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 05:27:02 PM

...there are people like you that are believers in what I call "onecoin".  This is the flawed concept that there can only be the one coin, no matter what that coin does.

...people that want to trade and park their money in an anonymous currency now have two technologies to choose from. And anyone smart will put their money in both. (hedging in case the tech in one of them ever fails)

Regarding the first point, the dominant counter-argument is that liquidity is a natural monopoly, because liquidity abhors frictions.  There is only one coin which presently offers a usable level of liquidity with fungibility.  In order to seize that crown will require an order-of-magnitude improvement (and definitely not an ambiguous corporate unfair Mossad-coin).

Regarding the second point, hedges are not all alike.  Some cost more than they are worth.  Buying things that cost more than they are worth is not a good strategy.  (Personally I would like to see ZK anon support folded into XMR.  I'm not sure how yet.  I am beginning to work on a draft, but it is very incomplete.)

I do agree that apples and oranges are different things.  Ethereum does fulfill a very different function.  But it has severe flaws, two of which suffice to spoil it for me:  Firstly, there is the governance risk implied by the cult of Vitalik.  We saw how disastrous this could be in the DAO fork.  Secondly, the very notion of "Turing-complete" platform is fundamentally broken and mistaken: All contracts must be decidable.  I consider these reasons sufficient to believe that some other platform will be the dominant smart-contract platform.  

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 05:28:24 PM

Hello guys, I am new in this forum however I was watching this thread for almost 2 months now, bought some XMR and bagholding it...
My question is if there would be any point in setting up a XMR ATM, like a lot of people already did with bitcoin. And of course make some small profit out of fees.
I am interested about your opinion, or is it even possible with the lack of GUI?

Absolutely possible.  The ATM interface is the GUI for ATM users.  If you do any diligence on the kiosk hardware options, please share.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 05:53:36 PM

I observe that the 15 and 30 minute accumulation cycles are now more persistent than the distribution cycles.  This suggests the possibility that we are forming a base, intraday, at present.

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 05:57:54 PM

GUI = Graphic User Interface (however I would prefer General User Interface).
It basically means transacting of Monero is made sexier. GUI is beneficial when you want to attract ordinary people who are not super tech savy (obviously somewhat savyness is needed in order to use crypto). Sure Monero has flashy webwallet but some people might not feel comfortable storing their money in third part wallet..
What I am waiting for is Monero Trezor, a wallet that has a hardware which is needed in order to send coins or to log in your wallet.

I think one topic to speculate should be: will there ever be official GUI for XMR?
N-rG

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 06:09:53 PM

Oups, how could i miss to post that  Cheesy

GUI should be ready soon:

<fluffypony> Kermit_: do you mean the GUI wallet, or the next tagged release?
<Kermit_> Yes gui
<kintaji> fluffypony - Okay. Just to say there are some oddities with the current flag page. Can expand at a later time.
<fluffypony> Kermit_: not certain yet - I'll look at building beta binaries in the next week or so
<Kermit_> Thanks

https://getmonero.org/2016/09/11/overview-and-logs-for-the-dev-meeting-held-on-2016-09-11.html
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 06:21:58 PM

GUI = Graphic User Interface (however I would prefer General User Interface).
It basically means transacting of Monero is made sexier. GUI is beneficial when you want to attract ordinary people who are not super tech savy (obviously somewhat savyness is needed in order to use crypto). Sure Monero has flashy webwallet but some people might not feel comfortable storing their money in third part wallet..
What I am waiting for is Monero Trezor, a wallet that has a hardware which is needed in order to send coins or to log in your wallet.

I think one topic to speculate should be: will there ever be official GUI for XMR?

"General" to me is too general. Who determines what "general" actually is?

That is why it was coined as "Graphical" in computer science to be explicitly clear that there are graphics involved.

Generality can be assume to be CLI as well, depends on who you are.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 06:23:26 PM

Oups, how could i miss to post that  Cheesy

GUI should be ready soon:

<fluffypony> Kermit_: do you mean the GUI wallet, or the next tagged release?
<Kermit_> Yes gui
<kintaji> fluffypony - Okay. Just to say there are some oddities with the current flag page. Can expand at a later time.
<fluffypony> Kermit_: not certain yet - I'll look at building beta binaries in the next week or so
<Kermit_> Thanks

https://getmonero.org/2016/09/11/overview-and-logs-for-the-dev-meeting-held-on-2016-09-11.html

That was from over 2 weeks ago. If you have been following things you'll know that fluffypony is not doing the beta binaries because there are still bugs.  Yes there is information all over the place so it's sometimes hard to keep track. Just yesterday there were some GUI commits.

How should I troll?  Let me count the ways.

Everyday the time till the release of the GUI will be cut in half.
elrippo
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 06:33:57 PM

Hmmmm, looks to me we will get the low of round about 0,010 around 10'th of october. From there we should see a nice rise to somewhere 0,020 at around 02'nd of november, if we hit the 0,010 around 10'th of october  Roll Eyes

If we stay at the current 0,015 level until 15'th of october, well, then things will get interesting  Shocked Grin

For Advertisement. PM me to discuss.
Pages: « 1 ... 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 [1137] 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: