Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:32:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 [1294] 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312335 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 09:54:15 PM

Hey gang... just wondering if this is normal or maybe I have something set wrong:

I'm running the new GUI on my MacBook Pro circa mid-2012 model with spinning-disk HD not SSD.  Apple 'home' partition 100Gb with 36Gb free now... and other partitions set up 'different' for a dual-boot Win7 native option.

I've never had the CLI or any full XMR blockchain on this machine before now (always managed with just MyMonero, Polo, etc) and only previously ran that "pre release" download of the compiled GUI wallet for OSX, a couple months ago, which always worked fine.

Anyway, I downloaded the Beta 1 GUI release and it's running now & been downloading the big file since yesterday, almost 24 hours.

Yet I'm only at about "Synchronizing Blocks 269505 / 1207936" so far.

Seems a lot slower than I expected... so... something wrong or this is par for the course?

TIA for any info.

P.S. Also not sure if it'd be a good idea BUT after I have the full blockchain downloaded I was considering moving it to my home network NAS... since this Apple HD partition doesn't really have a *ton* of free space left.  But given if this system is slower than expected would that be manageable? OR maybe having the blockchain on my home network NAS would really be even more intolerably slow to actually use? Anyone try a setup like this yet...?

On a late model Win7 machine took just over 24 hours. I think if you move the blockchain you would have to open the wizard and tell the GUI where to find it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 10:00:49 PM

On a late model Win7 machine took just over 24 hours. ... 

Thanks for info... this MacBook Pro has a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and 16 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 memory: not sure how comparable that is to your 'late model' Win7 machine but with my blockchain download being only at about 25% done in similar 24 hours to yours being complete in same time... is that still "about right" OR maybe I have something still wrong that's slowing things down more than it's supposed to?

My PARTITIONING on this Mac *is* very "weird" however... could THAT have something to do with it?  Would a non-standard partition scheme seriously affect disk-write speed for a task like this, for some reason?

I can't think of anything else that may be "wrong" here... anyone have any other ideas?

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
CTTE

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 10:21:44 PM

Thanks for info... this MacBook Pro has a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and 16 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 memory: not sure how comparable that is to your 'late model' Win7 machine but with my blockchain download being only at about 25% done in similar 24 hours to yours being complete in same time... is that still "about right" OR maybe I have something still wrong that's slowing things down more than it's supposed to?

My PARTITIONING on this Mac *is* very "weird" however... could THAT have something to do with it?  Would a non-standard partition scheme seriously affect disk-write speed for a task like this, for some reason?

I can't think of anything else that may be "wrong" here... anyone have any other ideas?
I think it makes a big difference if you have an SSD or a standard HD.
Billy Bunter

Activity: 327
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 10:23:21 PM

Have you considered connecting to a remote node? That's what I did and it less than an hour to sync. You lose a little privacy - not much - but it's still secure.

Baguette Holder.
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 12:33:04 AM

Have you considered connecting to a remote node? That's what I did and it less than an hour to sync. You lose a little privacy - not much - but it's still secure.

Yeah I did that before with the "pre-beta" GUI version that was posted about a month or two ago... worked fine, but for this "real final" release I want to try and use it as it's intended, i.e. with the daemon and everything...

Anyway, it's up to 314276/1145819 now... so gettin' there... slow and steady LOL

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
sui_generis

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 12:38:30 AM

I speculate that Aminorex will return soon. Within 2 months for sure  Grin
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2016, 01:44:10 AM

I speculate that Aminorex will return soon. Within 2 months for sure  Grin

It's a shame he's missing the GUI Party.

Looking forward to his return.  I want to hear his take on this epic USD rally/yuan collapse, the Trumpocolypse, etc.

Let's hope the ocean liner has stocks sufficient to keep his voyage merry!   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 02:22:30 AM

Looks like bitcoin grabbed this anonymous sucker in a headlock and applies the force of the whole body to suffocate its victim.

Ek charts aint looking sexy. All signs are that it gets steadily smothered by bitcoin, and I would expect prices to hit 280K basement. Someone also messes up with FCT lol. I wish bitcoin bull

had more arms to take FCT down in headlock, too.

I don't see XMR as a legitimate challenger to BTC, XMR is for those who want to take one specific feature of bitcoin (anonymity) and take it a step further

ROTFLMFAO! You idiot, BTC is completely traceable and not even remotely anon.

Not everyone gives a shit about anon.....

Xmr fills a niche, it ain't no btc tho....
tclo

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 02:37:34 AM

Is there a good Android wallet for XMR at this point, or even better is there a way to move it to cold storage and know the private key and also be able to check the balance somehow on the "blockchain"?   

Sorry if this is a dumb question that doesn't make sense, but I have some XMR on an exchange and just trying to figure out the best way to move it off of there and secure it.  I want to be able to extract the private key for sure though, without anyone else having access to it.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2016, 02:41:22 AM

BTC is completely traceable and not even remotely anon.

Bitcoin lets you be your own bank, but everybody can see your account balances.

Monero lets you be you own Swiss bank.

Btc fills a niche, it ain't no xmr tho....   Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Biro Bob

Activity: 308
Merit: 146

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 03:07:00 AM

Yeah I did that before with the "pre-beta" GUI version that was posted about a month or two ago... worked fine, but for this "real final" release I want to try and use it as it's intended, i.e. with the daemon and everything...

Anyway, it's up to 314276/1145819 now... so gettin' there... slow and steady LOL

I also recommend running a remote node. I run a $5 Digitial Ocean server because I don't have the personal bandwidth or disk space on my mac. Even with that, it takes a while for the GUI to sync when you import a wallet from the electrum style key.
CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 03:29:57 AM

BTC is completely traceable and not even remotely anon.

Bitcoin lets you be your own bank, but everybody can see your account balances.

Monero lets you be you own Swiss bank.

Btc fills a niche, it ain't no xmr tho....   Wink

your comparing an oil tanker to a canoe at the moment tho Wink
14.7 billion cap to 130 mil is a helluva network advantage

the next few years will be interesting ,i like it both ways
im invested in honeybadger and honeypony but i think badger will rape the pony in the next 6 months  Tongue
CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 03:35:07 AM

You know I just thought of something.

The more Bitcoin goes up in price will inevitably cause a lot of push back on the devs from doing anything like Hard Forking anything in or doing anything of the sort to improve.  I mean in a way, Bitcoin is being bought up for absolutely no reason at all.  That's kind of like a kid being rewarded for not doing his homework... what do you think he is going to do next time when home work is assigned?

When I see Bitcoin's price and network effect grow up, I just see people looking at Bitcoin's price as a reason for validating it's usefulness and "success" (it's been happening for a while).  If that's the case, I just feel like something has got to give to where there is so much back up on the network that people will get insanely aggravated with it and probably start selling which possibly cause panic selling.

This is why I believe the "mandatory fork system" that Monero has is so awesome... Keeps everything "fresh" just like in Linux.

the more money goes into btc the more develpment will be forced to happen ......
people like greg who may be slowing down progress now will be removed by those with a larger economic interest
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2016, 03:45:02 AM

im invested in honeybadger and honeypony but i think badger will rape the pony in the next 6 months  Tongue

Ahh, god man.. that's some terrible imagery...

The more Bitcoin goes up in price will inevitably cause a lot of push back on the devs from doing anything like Hard Forking anything in or doing anything of the sort to improve.  I mean in a way, Bitcoin is being bought up for absolutely no reason at all.  That's kind of like a kid being rewarded for not doing his homework... what do you think he is going to do next time when home work is assigned?

When I see Bitcoin's price and network effect grow up, I just see people looking at Bitcoin's price as a reason for validating it's usefulness and "success" (it's been happening for a while).  If that's the case, I just feel like something has got to give to where there is so much back up on the network that people will get insanely aggravated with it and probably start selling which possibly cause panic selling.

This is why I believe the "mandatory fork system" that Monero has is so awesome... Keeps everything "fresh" just like in Linux.

the more money goes into btc the more develpment will be forced to happen ......
people like greg who may be slowing down progress now will be removed by those with a larger economic interest

And I don't know if I really believe all that... I understand the logic behind all of that, I really do... but at what point does it become "enforceable"?  I mean, was $700-800 not enough monetary incentive for people to "force" core to do something? If $900 is, who is going to be the big tough guy to lead this mob to grab their pitchforks and torches in order to "force" Bitcoin Core to do stuff? 
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 04:04:05 AM

... When we will have a node in the North Korea, then we could say that network is really secured.

That would get node owner killed.

Looks like bitcoin grabbed this anonymous sucker in a headlock and applies the force of the whole body to suffocate its victim.

Ek charts aint looking sexy. All signs are that it gets steadily smothered by bitcoin, and I would expect prices to hit 280K basement. Someone also messes up with FCT lol. I wish bitcoin bull

had more arms to take FCT down in headlock, too.

I don't see XMR as a legitimate challenger to BTC, XMR is for those who want to take one specific feature of bitcoin (anonymity) and take it a step further

ROTFLMFAO! You idiot, BTC is completely traceable and not even remotely anon.

Believe it or not, not everyone gives a shit about BTC. And that had nothing to do with my response. I responded to his patently false troll post. He shills scam exchange and just check his post history, I bet he never even read the response.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 04:33:42 AM

The more Bitcoin goes up in price will inevitably cause a lot of push back on the devs from doing anything like Hard Forking anything in or doing anything of the sort to improve.  I mean in a way, Bitcoin is being bought up for absolutely no reason at all.  That's kind of like a kid being rewarded for not doing his homework... what do you think he is going to do next time when home work is assigned?

When I see Bitcoin's price and network effect grow up, I just see people looking at Bitcoin's price as a reason for validating it's usefulness and "success" (it's been happening for a while).  If that's the case, I just feel like something has got to give to where there is so much back up on the network that people will get insanely aggravated with it and probably start selling which possibly cause panic selling.

And I don't know if I really believe all that... I understand the logic behind all of that, I really do... but at what point does it become "enforceable"?  I mean, was $700-800 not enough monetary incentive for people to "force" core to do something? If $900 is, who is going to be the big tough guy to lead this mob to grab their pitchforks and torches in order to "force" Bitcoin Core to do stuff? 

my guess is that most of the spotty teenagers will be bought out of btc in the $3-7k range and large funds,financial institutions and government money will take it over before the 2020 halving ........
these sort of mega corps will not be blackmailed or held over a barrell by people like core and they will ultimately take btc throug the 10-100k range and beyond

i think the current  core devs are not as important as they think they are and they will either conform or get their wings clipped when btc gets really valuable ......
ccmfgg

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 10:20:48 AM

my guess is that most of the spotty teenagers will be bought out of btc in the $3-7k range and large funds,financial institutions and government money will take it over before the 2020 halving ........
these sort of mega corps will not be blackmailed or held over a barrell by people like core and they will ultimately take btc throug the 10-100k range and beyond

i think the current  core devs are not as important as they think they are and they will either conform or get their wings clipped when btc gets really valuable ......

I have a feeling in the not so distant future financial institutions will attempt to take control of XMR as well as most all if not all of the coins, resulting in people losing faith in the idea of coins forcing the government to step in and bailout.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 11:27:57 AM

I have a feeling in the not so distant future financial institutions will attempt to take control of XMR as well as most all if not all of the coins, resulting in people losing faith in the idea of coins forcing the government to step in and bailout.

No matter who owns coins.
Problem with current fiat money is that can be printed by government.
If some government have 10% of Monero let them have them. They cant make 11% unless they buy it. And if they will start some war, will have 9% after it.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 11:58:25 AM

I think the BTC developers have as much actual power as Barry Soetero did.

I said in early 2013 that I could have BTC developed and the network upheld, all by my own decision if needed.

Now, 4 years after, would it have been too bad as you now see what did happen...?  Wink

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 12:48:38 PM

I think the BTC developers have as much actual power as Barry Soetero did.

I said in early 2013 that I could have BTC developed and the network upheld, all by my own decision if needed.

Now, 4 years after, would it have been too bad as you now see what did happen...?  Wink

being stuck at 3.3 tx per second maybe allright for now but i feel that when the real big money moves in they will swat away the neckbeards core devs like mosquitos and replace them with with their own guys ......

a govt ,nation  or financial group  with deep pockets could simply buy up the mining farms and steer the project in the direction of their  liking ,if btc ends up being a valuable financial instrument for international trade the fiat used to buy  control over it at todays prices  will be insignifigant .........

Vinny Lingham has made accurate predictions before and he has similar thoughts on the matter and predicts that governments will be the largest buyers of btc in 2017

https://vinnylingham.com/bitcoin-2016-there-has-been-an-awakening-164b42d38927#.3c9jkwofc

Pages: « 1 ... 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 [1294] 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: