Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:27:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 [1296] 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 03:22:07 PM

PSA: Users, (solo)miners, exchanges/merchants, and pool operators must be on v0.10.1 in advance of the hardfork otherwise you will get forked/booted off the network. Miners, please contact your pool operator to ask them if they have upgraded

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/5ke2y2/psa_users_solominers_exchangesmerchants_and_pool/

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
logictense

Activity: 2146
Merit: 518

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2016, 03:57:49 PM

The bitcoin rally might end up into epic Monero price both in terms of bitcoins and especially in terms of fiat. I see no reason why the price of Monero could not reach 0.10-0.30 btc during the peak and bitcoin at 3000 makes Monero a 300-900 dollar per coin.

$300 per is a wet dream for some of us.. 0.03 would surfice to make me a happy camper.

0.03 very likely will take place in spring rally (not sure though) even without bitcoin rally.. Often I have been wrong also so take this as grain and salt.

EDIT: I have enough bitcoins for the rally so unfortunately I am not in the need of bitcoins and thus no need for selling my Moneros (unless the Monero goes parabolic against bitcoins I might consider selling 10-20 Moneros).

Unfortunately? Im not sure that I follow u. Overall, its true that regardless of bitcoin price monero may choose its own path and gain value based off the progress made on RingCT. It may or may not work out this way but it should be noted that people regard a technology as worthy of pursuing after they see the real thing delivered. What bothers me the most about the legitimacy of monero story is a single-handedly orchestrated pump. I had been tracking monero price action for 50 hours in a row when it started recovering after the recent burn, and I can tell for sure that there hadnt been many real traders behind the giant volume movements. It had mostly been bots and a couple of marginers shaffling orders between the floor and ceiling of a trading range. Volume is 200% fake and comes from the same pockets. Remember, last february polo cold wallet was filled with 80K btc within one week. That money pumped eth, maid, dash, xmr, pot and few other senior alts. I wouldnt be surprised to see monero depriving ethereum of its privileged position while both eth and etc taking the whole world's bullets. 1 billion cap hit would make xmr a ethereum successor which would be quite easy to achieve given the amount of crisp bitcoin lying in polo cold wallet. If its gonna happen it will be done via bots + fully artificial volume.

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 04:35:13 PM

The bitcoin rally might end up into epic Monero price both in terms of bitcoins and especially in terms of fiat. I see no reason why the price of Monero could not reach 0.10-0.30 btc during the peak and bitcoin at 3000 makes Monero a 300-900 dollar per coin.

$300 per is a wet dream for some of us.. 0.03 would surfice to make me a happy camper.

0.03 very likely will take place in spring rally (not sure though) even without bitcoin rally.. Often I have been wrong also so take this as grain and salt.

EDIT: I have enough bitcoins for the rally so unfortunately I am not in the need of bitcoins and thus no need for selling my Moneros (unless the Monero goes parabolic against bitcoins I might consider selling 10-20 Moneros).

Unfortunately? Im not sure that I follow u. Overall, its true that regardless of bitcoin price monero may choose its own path and gain value based off the progress made on RingCT. It may or may not work out this way but it should be noted that people regard a technology as worthy of pursuing after they see the real thing delivered. What bothers me the most about the legitimacy of monero story is a single-handedly orchestrated pump. I had been tracking monero price action for 50 hours in a row when it started recovering after the recent burn, and I can tell for sure that there hadnt been many real traders behind the giant volume movements. It had mostly been bots and a couple of marginers shaffling orders between the floor and ceiling of a trading range. Volume is 200% fake and comes from the same pockets. Remember, last february polo cold wallet was filled with 80K btc within one week. That money pumped eth, maid, dash, xmr, pot and few other senior alts. I wouldnt be surprised to see monero depriving ethereum of its privileged position while both eth and etc taking the whole world's bullets. 1 billion cap hit would make xmr a ethereum successor which would be quite easy to achieve given the amount of crisp bitcoin lying in polo cold wallet. If its gonna happen it will be done via bots + fully artificial volume.

Bots never trade among themselves. Bots force people to buy from bots, and not to sell it by sell offer.  Well more patient traders can even sell their BTC for XMR and XMR for BTC, but such as me that decide from time to time to buy some more XMR  usually because of bots just market buy mostly from bots.

Well in generally bots never buy, so is impossible that 2 bots would trade amongst each other, so your theory is false in basics. So i will not go deeper into that there is no economic logic on exchanges with fees to do something like that.

Now that i read what you said again, that 200% confuses me. this 200% is also flawed in basic.
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 09:59:50 PM

Im glad you are giving 110% of your deduction powers. Kudos! All my volume generation was certainly artificial. All 300%

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 10:55:17 PM

@KeyJockey: full sync from scratch using GUI took 5.5 hours on recent Mac with SSD.

Hmm okay thanks all for info.

Still chugging along here, I was away last couple days at family for holidays and just left it running meanwhile... just got home and checked it and status now is at about 930,000 of 1,200,000-ish

SO it's still going and "getting there" now about 80% but at this point looks like it's gonna be something like five DAYS for me versus 5 hours for people with newer machines using a faster CPU and/or SSD.

That's quite a difference but as long as it does eventually "get there" I am okay with just letting it run, I guess.  Not much choice at this point LOL

The weirder thing still however is that it has STILL not written to disk again, since 'way back Dec 23rd at 10pm!!!

The file is ONLY at 3.94 Gb on disk and date/time stamp has not changed in almost three days.

IF my Mac crashes I'm gonna lose most of the last couple days progress here: is there any way to FORCE the GUI wallet to do a disk-write of the blockchain download in progress OR does it just decide to do it however often that it feels like it?

This Mac does have 16 Gigs of RAM -- above the Apple spec to support only 8 -- 'cuz I updated it a while back after reading that it actually does work okay with dual 8-gig sticks, not only the older 4gig that it was designed for.  So I'm assuming all the recent blockchain download in last couple days is just "in memory" so far and ready to get written to disk if/when it's all done?  Enough RAM I guess for 10Gb "pending" but, still... yikes.  LOL

Anyway, not sure about the HD speed but it's not SSD and, as I said, oddly formatted and partitioned 1 Tb spinning platter.  So maybe that has something to do with why my download is soooooooo sllllloooowwwwww here....

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 11:13:12 PM

@KeyJockey - Have you recently typed save into the daemon console and pressed enter? Thanks
Code:
save
Blockchain saved

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
ozkraut

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 11:14:11 PM

@KeyJockey: full sync from scratch using GUI took 5.5 hours on recent Mac with SSD.

Hmm okay thanks all for info.

Still chugging along here, I was away last couple days at family for holidays and just left it running meanwhile... just got home and checked it and status now is at about 930,000 of 1,200,000-ish

SO it's still going and "getting there" now about 80% but at this point looks like it's gonna be something like five DAYS for me versus 5 hours for people with newer machines using a faster CPU and/or SSD.

That's quite a difference but as long as it does eventually "get there" I am okay with just letting it run, I guess.  Not much choice at this point LOL

The weirder thing still however is that it has STILL not written to disk again, since 'way back Dec 23rd at 10pm!!!

The file is ONLY at 3.94 Gb on disk and date/time stamp has not changed in almost three days.

IF my Mac crashes I'm gonna lose most of the last couple days progress here: is there any way to FORCE the GUI wallet to do a disk-write of the blockchain download in progress OR does it just decide to do it however often that it feels like it?

This Mac does have 16 Gigs of RAM -- above the Apple spec to support only 8 -- 'cuz I updated it a while back after reading that it actually does work okay with dual 8-gig sticks, not only the older 4gig that it was designed for.  So I'm assuming all the recent blockchain download in last couple days is just "in memory" so far and ready to get written to disk if/when it's all done?  Enough RAM I guess for 10Gb "pending" but, still... yikes.  LOL

Anyway, not sure about the HD speed but it's not SSD and, as I said, oddly formatted and partitioned 1 Tb spinning platter.  So maybe that has something to do with why my download is soooooooo sllllloooowwwwww here....

I believe there is an option to skip scanning / verifying a specified n blocks if they contain no relevant transactions to the wallet eg brand new wallet only needs to scan from block 1100000 as no transactions prior to that block are relevant. There is a command line switch to specify this on monerod but I have no idea about specifying this via the gui. I just use cli.

KeyJockey

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 11:24:02 PM

@KeyJockey - Have you recently typed save into the daemon console and pressed enter? Thanks
Code:
save
Blockchain saved

I'll try that, thanks... but please ELI5 it for me step by step first as I don't want to screw it up, crash my Mac, and lose the last couple days progress LOL

Assuming here that the daemon instance is already running, full system, right?  So I'm just opening a Terminal window, and maybe moving to the working monero folder, first, and type stuff there? 

I don't have any other monero files/programs on this system - JUST whatever came with the GUI download, unzipped and copied to disk, running from my separate \Programs folder that I keep in the default \Applications folder on the Mac-formatted main Apple partition.

So, just wanna be thorough: Anything else I need to do first...?  Step by step please don't leave anything out Smiley

owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 11:26:41 PM

Code:
save
Blockchain saved

I'll try that, thanks... but please ELI5 it for me step by step first as I don't want to screw it up, crash my Mac, and lose the last couple days progress LOL

Assuming here that the daemon instance is already running, full system, right?  So I'm just opening a Terminal window, and maybe moving to the working monero folder, first, and type stuff there?  

I don't have any other monero files/programs on this system - JUST whatever came with the GUI download, unzipped and copied to disk, running from my separate \Programs folder that I keep in the default \Applications folder on the Mac-formatted main Apple partition.

So, just wanna be thorough: Anything else I need to do first...?  Step by step please don't leave anything out Smiley

No.. In your currently running sync cmd/dos/whatever window where you see the progress etc... Just type save and hit enter. done. Cheesy

Edit - Type help to see the available commands if you are unsure. Wink

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
KeyJockey

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 11:45:55 PM

No.. In your currently running sync cmd/dos/whatever window where you see the progress etc... Just type save and hit enter. done. Cheesy

Heh... sorry if I'm being dim but I'm just running the new GUI here... is there a 'command prompt' tab in there that I'm missing or something?

owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 11:49:08 PM

Heh... sorry if I'm being dim but I'm just running the new GUI here... is there a 'command prompt' tab in there that I'm missing or something?

Ah, sorry ... No, there is no way of doing that yet in the GUI, I was assuming you were running monerod.exe on the "side" and then using the GUI to connect from. My bad.

Hopefully, they add a cli interface to the GUI so this can be done!

Other than that, I don't think it will save the blockchain unless you close the GUI, but I wouldn't risk that at this point - play it safe, let lt finish.

Thanks!

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
KeyJockey

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 11:56:32 PM

Ah, sorry ... No, there is no way of doing that yet in the GUI, I was assuming you were running monerod.exe on the "side" and then using the GUI to connect from. My bad.

Other than that, I don't think it will save the blockchain unless you close the GUI, but I wouldn't risk that at this point - play it safe, let lt finish.

Thanks!

OK thanks... here's a screencap what I'm looking at, at the moment:

The CLI apps *are* there, inside/embedded in the Mac format "app" folder/file so I was assuming some way to "run" stuff that way even if it's hacky, LOL

Anyway, yeah, at this point probably I'm just gonna let it run and hope OS X doesn't freeze up before I have the whole file.  Fingers crossed :-P

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2016, 11:59:18 PM

Yes there is some uncertainty if your work will be saved if you exit the GUI before sync is done. If you go to settings in the GUI you will see 'Manage daemon' with buttons to start, stop and show. If you hit the show button you can see progress.

There is no option to type commands in the daemon log but you can stop the daemon with the stop daemon button. That should save your progress but no guarantees. I think a developer would have to chime in here. When I first downloaded the GUI I on purpose started cli from the gui folder so I could use the exit command with the daemon until synced.

owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 12:08:54 AM

Yes there is some uncertainty if your work will be saved if you exit the GUI before sync is done. If you go to settings in the GUI you will see 'Manage daemon' with buttons to start, stop and show. If you hit the show button you can see progress.

There is no option to type commands in the daemon log but you can stop the daemon with the stop daemon button. That should save your progress but no guarantees. I think a developer would have to chime in here. When I first downloaded the GUI I on purpose started cli from the gui folder so I could use the exit command with the daemon until synced.

Yes, this is why I have been testing using both the internal daemon controls, and also running monerod.exe as a separate process so that I can control it better as well.... Both seem to work pretty well, however I have had some issues with balances showing as unlocked without having to restart the GUI, but it's sporadic, and I can't pinpoint anything.

I also had one "copy" of my wallet/keys/bin file get corrupted from a crash - I just recopied them from the last version and re-added a new wallet of the same name. It fixed itself, just as it would the cli wallet or restoring from seed.

Overall, I'm very happy with everything so far. This is going to be game changing, IMO. The confirmation speeds are fantastic as well, but that's XMR, not the GUI.  Cheesy

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4891

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 01:26:44 AM

Monero, the new Platinum to bitcoins Gold.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 02:13:15 AM

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Thanks for that!
ozkraut

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 02:17:40 AM

Monero, the new Platinum to bitcoins Gold.

and soon to also be unobtanium it seems. Unicorn anybody?

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 04:21:49 AM

We are approaching to the season which usually treats Monero owners pretty well. I speculate it is GUI that is bringing the demand for Monero as there is now a viable place to store coins which attracts those of side lurkers who were waiting a convenient place to store their precious digital treasures.
Also it might reflect as less coins on Polo which alters the propensity to dump and set up sell walls.
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 04:33:15 AM

With the GUI in beta, is it safe and the bugs worked out to place your entirety of coins in it?

Yes, but.... If you WANT to do this:

PLEASE::

Backup your files from the last release like 2 places at least. Also your mnemonic seed!!

Copy ALL your files to a test folder. (Or 3?)

Load one of them in the GUI.

It will refresh, and it will work.

THAT SAID... DO NOT DELETE YOUR OLD FILES OR YOUR SEED (sorry forgot that part, back that up as well).

I have had one wallet gone corrupt and had to reload by copying the files again and reloading the wallet in the GUI but I am very confident my funds are secure at this point, as I have done a number of tests / experiments over the years. Tongue

Cheers and happy holidays! 

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
vgo
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 09:31:43 AM

Wow, It seems that "the Chinese" are buying tons of the new synthetic drug called -P&D- in the "dark market" with Moneros ...
Pages: « 1 ... 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 [1296] 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: