Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:06:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 [1297] 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312363 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 09:43:16 AM

Wow, It seems that "the Chinese" are buying tons of the new synthetic drug called -P&D- in the "dark market" with Moneros ...

Usually i would agree, but can you say P&D when the volume is lower than usual in the last 3 months? Also that sarcasm is over-the-top... try less of it and it might be funny :p
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 09:46:03 AM

Wow, It seems that "the Chinese" are buying tons of the new synthetic drug called -P&D- in the "dark market" with Moneros ...

Usually i would agree, but can you say P&D when the volume is lower than usual in the last 3 months? Also that sarcasm is over-the-top... try less of it and it might be funny :p

His job is not to be funny. He is not a clown, is he.
phoenix rises

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 11:47:24 AM
Last edit: December 27, 2016, 12:08:47 PM by phoenix rises

x-post from r/xmrtrader -

https://www.reddit.com/r/xmrtrader/comments/5anhmi/xmr_successfully_finished_the_first_wing_of_the/

Prediction ... "XMR successfully finished the first wing of the rising phoenix pattern ..."

Update ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/xmrtrader/comments/5kio0z/it_really_was_a_rising_phoenix/

So far so good  Cheesy ... happy days ahead!!

This has nothing to do with me btw, just a coincidence with the name  Wink

(if someone could please tell me what I need to to scale down the size of images, I will edit this post - I know they are a a bit on the large size!, and for gods sake, please snip out the images if you quote this post lol)

Edit : thanks for scaling advice jwinterm, looks about right now Wink

jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 11:57:49 AM

x-post from r/xmrtrader -

https://www.reddit.com/r/xmrtrader/comments/5anhmi/xmr_successfully_finished_the_first_wing_of_the/

Prediction ... "XMR successfully finished the first wing of the rising phoenix pattern ..."

Update ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/xmrtrader/comments/5kio0z/it_really_was_a_rising_phoenix/

So far so good  Cheesy ... happy days ahead!!

This has nothing to do with me btw, just a coincidence with the name  Wink

(if someone could please tell me what I need to to scale down the size of images, I will edit this post - I know they are a a bit on the large size!, and for gods sake, please snip out the images if you quote this post lol)

To scale images you just use a width or height (in pixels I think) in your opening img tag, like:
Code:
[img width=100]
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 12:19:32 PM

Yes there is some uncertainty if your work will be saved if you exit the GUI before sync is done. If you go to settings in the GUI you will see 'Manage daemon' with buttons to start, stop and show. If you hit the show button you can see progress.

There is no option to type commands in the daemon log but you can stop the daemon with the stop daemon button. That should save your progress but no guarantees. I think a developer would have to chime in here. When I first downloaded the GUI I on purpose started cli from the gui folder so I could use the exit command with the daemon until synced.

There is no uncertainty. When you close GUI daemon saves your blockchain.

I am actually not sure what happen if your computer resets or lose power. Would sync progress be saved or start from last time closing GUI.

Monero is looking good and I think 2017 is gonna be great for Monero!

It is hard to expect to be better then 2016, but on other hand, why not!
rinus

Activity: 362
Merit: 258

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 04:56:06 PM

Hey guys,

i am following this thread for a long time now and this is my first post. i am into moneros nearly from the beginning but now i am really
wondering what the best way is to store my coins safely ...

in the GUI or cold storage?

Do i need a new computer that i keep offline if i do it in the GUI?
If i keep in the GUI and my computer crashes, are my coins gone then? or can i recover them on a new computer ?

a little help would be nice , i know this is off topic but you guys are the only ones i want to ask this to as i am following this thread for a while now Smiley

thx in advance
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 05:15:12 PM

Hey guys,

i am following this thread for a long time now and this is my first post. i am into moneros nearly from the beginning but now i am really

If i keep in the GUI and my computer crashes, are my coins gone then? or can i recover them on a new computer ?

a little help would be nice , i know this is off topic but you guys are the only ones i want to ask this to as i am following this thread for a while now Smiley

thx in advance

Hi, I have been in your shoes - Here is what I have done.

1. backup all three wallet files & also write down your mnemonic seed
2. Make copies of all of these in different spots/drives etc.
3. Now, I made ANOTHER copy of my 3 wallet files and put them in a new folder called TEST
4. In the GUI, I opened the file as an existing wallet.

Done, right?  Well I thought so too. However, My system rebooted at some point, and my wallet files became corrupt and I could not open them.  Huh  Huh

Normally, panic would ensue. However, I simply deleted my corrupt TEST folder full of wallet files, and recopied the old original files to a new TEST folder and reopened the same wallet in the GUI. Everything is fine again, no worries.  Cool

Point is - You can go back to the old version using this method, or stay on the new, as the original files are all there and so are the seed.

Cheers, and HTH.

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
rinus

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 05:31:51 PM

Hey guys,

thx in advance

3. Now, I made ANOTHER copy of my 3 wallet files and put them in a new folder called TEST

Done, right?  Well I thought so too. However, My system rebooted at some point, and my wallet files became corrupt and I could not open them.  Huh  Huh

Normally, panic would ensue. However, I simply deleted my corrupt TEST folder full of wallet files, and recopied the old original files to a new TEST folder and reopened the same wallet in the GUI. Everything is fine again, no worries.  Cool

Point is - You can go back to the old version using this method, or stay on the new, as the original files are all there and so are the seed.

Cheers, and HTH.

So if i understand correctly, this means if my computer crashed , i can restore the wallet from the 3 wallet files i copied and the mnemonic seed?
and what do you mean with the old version or the new version? are the files in the original folder or the test folder not the same?

thx mate
Febo
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 05:49:29 PM

Also seems the GUI release is (unsurprisingly) resulting in more people running full nodes already.
Node count had been hovering 390-420 ish last few weeks, now up to 447, highest I have seen it. This is great for the future and we are only one day in Wink

https://monerohash.com/nodes-distribution.html

513 at this point. Seems 1000 nodes is  inevitable.
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 06:04:02 PM

Isn't the ONLY thing you REALLY need is the Mnemonic Seed...?

I mean, *is* there any actual scenario where you have the seed words and you still cannot get access to your Monero back? 

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 06:05:33 PM

Isn't the ONLY thing you REALLY need is the Mnemonic Seed...?

Yes.

I mean, *is* there any actual scenario where you have the seed words and you still cannot get access to your Monero back?  

No, unless you erroneously noted down the 25 word mnemonic seed.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 06:06:25 PM

So if i understand correctly, this means if my computer crashed , i can restore the wallet from the 3 wallet files i copied and the mnemonic seed?
and what do you mean with the old version or the new version? are the files in the original folder or the test folder not the same?

thx mate

Actually, you could use either the files or the seed, I just used the files in my example/real life since it's easier.

Old version = monero.win.x64.v0-10-1-0

New version = Beta download with GUI.... Not sure of exact version sorry.

Once you open the old wallet files in the GUI, they seem to change, and a file named something like "wallet.keys.unportable" gets added - I am not sure why or how yet, someone did ask this earlier, but I meant that in case you get corruption like I did, you can just delete the wallet and just re-import the same old wallet file to the new gui, or, if you wanted, go back to v0-10-1-0 and just use the cli if you wanted.

The point is, once you have the files and/or the seed backed up, you theoretically cannot ever lose your XMR. I have tried this numerous times, from both the seed and the wallet files, using just one wallet that I have used for a number of years now - Never had any problems and have corrupted it a few times at least even. Tongue

Thanks, sorry I wasn't clearer! Smiley

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 06:07:01 PM

Hey guys,

thx in advance

Cheers, and HTH.

You don't need both, either of those is sufficient. Also, if you are looking for a cold storage guide, see:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/48cgmd/an_extensive_guide_for_securely_generating_an/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/58fg8g/steps_to_verify_balance_of_a_cold_wallet_while/

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
SolarStorm

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 06:11:01 PM

Did anyone notice already the amount of available XMR is declining ? 
The amount of XMR for sale on polo was ~350.000,  now its down to ~200.000.

Thanx to the GUI i guess  Grin
rinus

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 06:18:40 PM

thx mate

Actually, you could use either the files or the seed, I just used the files in my example/real life since it's easier.

Once you open the old wallet files in the GUI, they seem to change, and a file named something like "wallet.keys.unportable" gets added - I am not sure why or how yet, someone did ask this earlier, but I meant that in case you get corruption like I did, you can just delete the wallet and just re-import the same old wallet file to the new gui, or, if you wanted, go back to v0-10-1-0 and just use the cli if you wanted.

The point is, once you have the files and/or the seed backed up, you theoretically cannot ever lose your XMR. I have tried this numerous times, from both the seed and the wallet files, using just one wallet that I have used for a number of years now - Never had any problems and have corrupted it a few times at least even. Tongue

thx mate !!!! that is exactly what i wanted to hear " never lose your XMR " Smiley. i will store the 3 wallet files onto several USB disks and keep 1 in my safe, also the mnemonic seed i will store in my safe.
The only thing now is , i want to transfer from POLO to my wallet but on polo it says " invalid payment ID " , can this have something to do that my wallet is still synchronizing daemon?

obit33

Activity: 514

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 06:38:41 PM

If my computer spontaneously combusts after I've installed the GUI and I have my mnemonic seed, will I be able to access my wallet from a new computer?

yes
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 07:22:09 PM

XMR over $15 here in Canada.  September high was C$20.  2015 was a disaster year for me, 2016 one of the best ever on pretty much every front, despite some major setbacks.  Speculation on 2017?  Let XMR lead the charge!
Febo
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 07:25:25 PM

thx mate

thx mate !!!! that is exactly what i wanted to hear " never lose your XMR " Smiley. i will store the 3 wallet files onto several USB disks and keep 1 in my safe, also the mnemonic seed i will store in my safe.
The only thing now is , i want to transfer from POLO to my wallet but on polo it says " invalid payment ID " , can this have something to do that my wallet is still synchronizing daemon?

You should be able to send on not synced wallet. But I suggest you to wait it gets fully synced and first send smaller amount. and once you receive go with full amount.

Monero with difference from Bitcoin that only have address also have a Monero Payment ID.

Monero address looks like this: 47sghzufGhJJDQEbScMCwVBimTuq6L5JiRixD8VeGbpjCTA32noXmi4ZyBZLc44e66NtnKff43fHsGR oyZk3ES1s1V4QVcB

and ID looks like this: 40bfc775e30642c18049e5ef222f1918a7f5fa42960d0179c9c8ad538f2da6f8

When sending from exchange to your personal wallet, ID is not really needed (I am not sure if is optional also).  But when sending Moneros to an exchange or any site where they hold Moneros ( like casino, store, ...)  you always need to include Monero Payment ID.

XMR over $15 here in Canada.  September high was C$20.  2015 was a disaster year for me, 2016 one of the best ever on pretty much every front, despite some major setbacks.  Speculation on 2017?  Let XMR lead the charge!

2015 was totally normal for me. disaster for me was 2014. But only reason for it was since I just started investing in crypto that year. If I would in 2013 would be totally different story.
Furi Bliz

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 07:26:48 PM

holy shit im sweating like a monkey but ffs it's nice to watch monero price chart live Smiley
Darker45
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1857

🙏🏼Padayon...🙏

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 07:27:33 PM

XMR over $15 here in Canada.  September high was C$20.  2015 was a disaster year for me, 2016 one of the best ever on pretty much every front, despite some major setbacks.  Speculation on 2017?  Let XMR lead the charge!

Yahoo! 2017 XMR will take the lead. Although I don't want Ethereum to die as I also have too many investments under its banner.  Grin

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Pages: « 1 ... 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 [1297] 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: