Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:44:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312369 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 05:16:59 PM

As expected still fighting with supply in that zone, careful with a potential h&s for people longing on margin.

It's happening...could be a retest of 0.012.

Surprisingly bearish, I was not expecting under 0.013...  maybe it was all about the GUI and now Alt market money is looking for underpriced options....

Any TA-savvy crystal ball gazers want to extrapolate from here?

it has been done already, scroll up between 1 and 3 pages, can't remember.

thx for your input on the T/A chart but you make a few assumptions i wouldnt be 100% sure about
the august bagholders may not be the current sellers since the price tanked very low in september oct,nov etc and
people maybe have doubled their money and then some by buying in thiose months of epic crashdom .....

i thin its still a good bit too early for xmr to bloom and people who got biten by the last OASIS and ALPAHABAY scam wont be so
quick to throw millions of dollars into the fire again so easily ,at least until we get some more real use cases ......

Scam?

Do you mean the price rise associated with the news of XMR adoption?

Because your use of 'scam' seems to be aimed at XMR.  Oasis may have been an exit scam - but I doubt much (if any) XMR were lost. One small dark market disappeared (with punters BTC). So?

And Alphabay just opened up the dark markets to XMR, not sure how that qualifies as a scam, either.

Care to explain what you meant?

oasis and alphabay buys up all the cheap xmr
then they go public and announce their news
even went so far as to advise their customers to stock up on xmr for future purchases
customers bought xmr up to near $16 iirc
oasis ran away with everybodys money and alphabay faked a wallet problem and monero was unusable for awhile
these factors resulted in severe losses for lots of their customers
i would call that a scam but you could also say it was a tragic set of unforeseen circumstances which occured naturally at worst possible timing
your choice....

(btw i like monero and i am a signifigant hodler,i am not blaming the coin itself for the actions of the guilty in case it sounded like that)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hyc

Activity: 88
Merit: 16

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 05:18:19 PM

What's with all this GUI talk in the price speculation thread? There's a Support thread, why aren't people using it?

...So, can these be 'directly RUN' from there in order to use the wallet the old-fashion way too, i.e. more control over typing commands (for "save" etc) in addition to using the GUI in a newbie-friendly way i.e. just double-click the icon?

Are there any warnings or danger to be aware of in this case, if so?  Or would it still be better to pre-load the daemon etc from another normal copy of the downloaded command line set of Monero files?

(P.S. Sorry if it's a dumb question BUT this is the kind of thing that needs to be made simple, clear, and easy for NOOBS if HoneyPony is really ever going to gain mainstream use and acceptance!)

As I understand it, the GUI is a wrapper that passes calls to the daemon ergo if you use the cli to make those calls then you should not hurt anything. I am guessing as I did none of the programming. The only pitfall I can forsee is that the gui would not refresh from those cli calls and display previous data but that is a rookie move and I can't imagine this team putting out something that lame.

As usual feel free to correct me guys, I'm just making educated guesses from experience on other projects.

No, the GUI is not a wrapper. It is a full wallet, just like the CLI.

You need to keep some distinctions clear:

The monerod daemon syncs the entire blockchain from the P2P network. The blockchain is stored in an LMDB database as soon as each block arrives. You can exit the daemon any time you like and all of that syncing progress will be saved without any further action being needed.

The wallets scan the blockchain of the daemon you're pointed at, looking for transactions owned by your wallet address. The scan results are held in RAM until you exit the wallet, at which time the entire wallet cache file gets written to disk. If your computer crashes while the wallet is syncing with the daemon, all of your current progress in the wallet will be lost. But that's completely separate from the daemon's progress.

You cannot see your latest transactions in any wallet until the daemon is caught up with the rest of the network.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 05:20:42 PM

It would be interesting to read the thoughts China has on Monero. Does Chinese people embrace Monero with open arms or despise it like a sack of potatoes (yes it is a binary decision like it seems to be in anything related to crypto)?

If you believe the rumors "tests indicate that Monero is pro-China, not the Chinese government".

Hopefully xmr will get adopted by the people of China, we will see. Exciting 2017 is ahead of us and I am glad it seems Monero project is getting serious with companies started (Monerodirect).
I have to admit even I was surprised on how fast Monero has changed from pump and dump game to serious project.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 05:22:26 PM

extremely strong point of supply around 0.0187

May correct a bit, this should take at least few days before we clear it if we do. If we do that quicker, this is a huge sign that bulls are clearly stronger than bears.

Why? Is there some kind of sell wall waiting?

My prediction is that  Monero can correct to 13 ot 13.25 USD levels and then test 15 USD levels. If it can break out from 15 USD then expect higher levels. I feel it is good to buy at the present levels and wait to book profits 15 USD for traders.

15 usd would be ATH for XMR in terms of fiat so it might indeed turn some momentum traders into super bullish mood.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4892

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 05:25:33 PM

What's with all this GUI talk in the price speculation thread? There's a Support thread, why aren't people using it?

...So, can these be 'directly RUN' from there in order to use the wallet the old-fashion way too, i.e. more control over typing commands (for "save" etc) in addition to using the GUI in a newbie-friendly way i.e. just double-click the icon?

Are there any warnings or danger to be aware of in this case, if so?  Or would it still be better to pre-load the daemon etc from another normal copy of the downloaded command line set of Monero files?

(P.S. Sorry if it's a dumb question BUT this is the kind of thing that needs to be made simple, clear, and easy for NOOBS if HoneyPony is really ever going to gain mainstream use and acceptance!)

As I understand it, the GUI is a wrapper that passes calls to the daemon ergo if you use the cli to make those calls then you should not hurt anything. I am guessing as I did none of the programming. The only pitfall I can forsee is that the gui would not refresh from those cli calls and display previous data but that is a rookie move and I can't imagine this team putting out something that lame.

As usual feel free to correct me guys, I'm just making educated guesses from experience on other projects.

The monerod daemon syncs the entire blockchain from the P2P network. The blockchain is stored in an LMDB database as soon as each block arrives. You can exit the daemon any time you like and all of that syncing progress will be saved without any further action being needed.

The wallets scan the blockchain of the daemon you're pointed at, looking for transactions owned by your wallet address. The scan results are held in RAM until you exit the wallet, at which time the entire wallet cache file gets written to disk. If your computer crashes while the wallet is syncing with the daemon, all of your current progress in the wallet will be lost. But that's completely separate from the daemon's progress.

You cannot see your latest transactions in any wallet until the daemon is caught up with the rest of the network.

The CLI sends commands to the Daemon correct? That makes it a wrapper correct?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 05:37:45 PM

I have to admit even I was surprised on how fast Monero has changed from pump and dump game to serious project.

I believe your perspective on Monero may be changing, but the project is just what it has always been.  Steady (perhaps a bit slow) incremental improvements with the core focus on the vision for the single goal of private fungible digital money.

Nothing more... nothing less.

This is part of the reason it has a slim chance to become something more than an experiment, which is all it still really is.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 05:40:51 PM

extremely strong point of supply around 0.0187

May correct a bit, this should take at least few days before we clear it if we do. If we do that quicker, this is a huge sign that bulls are clearly stronger than bears.

Why? Is there some kind of sell wall waiting?

My prediction is that  Monero can correct to 13 ot 13.25 USD levels and then test 15 USD levels. If it can break out from 15 USD then expect higher levels. I feel it is good to buy at the present levels and wait to book profits 15 USD for traders.

15 usd would be ATH for XMR in terms of fiat so it might indeed turn some momentum traders into super bullish mood.

Two days ago i was checking old ATHs in $ and was like $15.5  from I think 3rd September. Also at that time market capitalisation was about $199 millions. We tested $199 millions market capitalisation two days ago.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 05:41:21 PM

Are there any warnings or danger to be aware of in this case, if so?  Or would it still be better to pre-load the daemon etc from another normal copy of the downloaded command line set of Monero files?

No.  The CLI Wallet and the GUI Wallet are equivalent.  Neither is a wrapper for the daemon.  Both are a client of it.

Another way to put it... if the GUI was a wrapper, it would be a wrapper for the CLI wallet.  It is not. 
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 05:51:12 PM

As expected still fighting with supply in that zone, careful with a potential h&s for people longing on margin.

Surprisingly bearish, I was not expecting under 0.013...  maybe it was all about the GUI and now Alt market money is looking for underpriced options....

thx for your input on the T/A chart but you make a few assumptions i wouldnt be 100% sure about
the august bagholders may not be the current sellers since the price tanked very low in september oct,nov etc and
people maybe have doubled their money and then some by buying in thiose months of epic crashdom .....

i thin its still a good bit too early for xmr to bloom and people who got biten by the last OASIS and ALPAHABAY scam wont be so
quick to throw millions of dollars into the fire again so easily ,at least until we get some more real use cases ......

Scam?

Because your use of 'scam' seems to be aimed at XMR.  Oasis may have been an exit scam - but I doubt much (if any) XMR were lost. One small dark market disappeared (with punters BTC). So?

And Alphabay just opened up the dark markets to XMR, not sure how that qualifies as a scam, either.

even went so far as to advise their customers to stock up on xmr for future purchases
oasis ran away with everybodys money and alphabay faked a wallet problem and monero was unusable for awhile
i would call that a scam but you could also say it was a tragic set of unforeseen circumstances which occured naturally at worst possible timing
your choice....

(btw i like monero and i am a signifigant hodler,i am not blaming the coin itself for the actions of the guilty in case it sounded like that)

I think Alphabay were / are perhaps genuinely interested - and I cannot know how they might have benefited - but pre GUI it was badly implemented at first.  Oasis was an exit scam, yes, but it is hard to know if much or any XMR was lost, other than in speculation around the announcement.

But thank you for clearing up this wasn't a scam of XMR's making, which is what I sought.  Like you I hold XMR, so I don't want fresh eyes looking at XMR to think we (those who support XMR on here) approve, or were complicit in any scams.

We can't blame XMR for how XMR is used, even if it is used for dubious financial gains. 

我想要火箭和火车
CTTE

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 06:45:43 PM

Scam?

your choice....

I think Alphabay were / are perhaps genuinely interested - and I cannot know how they might have benefited - but pre GUI it was badly implemented at first.  Oasis was an exit scam, yes, but it is hard to know if much or any XMR was lost, other than in speculation around the announcement.

But thank you for clearing up this wasn't a scam of XMR's making, which is what I sought.  Like you I hold XMR, so I don't want fresh eyes looking at XMR to think we (those who support XMR on here) approve, or were complicit in any scams.

We can't blame XMR for how XMR is used, even if it is used for dubious financial gains. 

It boils down to this being insider trading on the part of Alphabay and because nothing is "really" regulated in crypto who's going to do anything about it? And, let's be honest, what would you expect from a darknet market place. They know they are going to announce using XMR and in the meantime they buy a pretty good stash in stealth mode at very low prices, make the announcement, encourage vendors to stock up and we end up with an ATH and they make some serious cash.  If you were running even a legal business online you may do something similar given the opportunity.
hyc

Activity: 88
Merit: 16

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 06:52:00 PM

No. I did some of the programming, and you are wrong. Next time don't ask "feel free to correct me" if you're just going to ignore it.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4892

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 07:03:55 PM

No. I did some of the programming, and you are wrong. Next time don't ask "feel free to correct me" if you're just going to ignore it.

I'm actually not arguing here, AFAIK the cli is a client that sends input to the daemon which does the necessary adjustments to the data set. So your saying that it does not?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 08:37:00 PM

I'm actually not arguing here, AFAIK the cli is a client that sends input to the daemon which does the necessary adjustments to the data set. So your saying that it does not?

I believe he is saying it is not a wrapper.  There is a difference.  A wrapper would be a GUI front end for the CLI executable.  In this case the CLI and GUI wallets are equivalent.  They both use the daemon, but neither is a wrapper.  As far as I know the default QT bitcoin client at least used to work this way as well.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 09:04:16 PM

The daemon communicates with the network.

The command line wallet does interact with the daemon but it has it's own commands, does not invoke commands on the daemon.

Both of these are standalone applications.

A wrapper would be an abstraction of some sort that invokes the commands on a parent application through a secondary interface.

cryptimus prime

Activity: 493
Merit: 551

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 01:03:36 AM

I think similar like you.
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 01:59:32 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2016, 03:52:58 AM by owlcatz

I think similar like you.

I almost posted this earlier, as I'm in agreement. it's the next mental/logical barrier, it won't be long based on the dev's and upcoming HF.

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 09:12:42 AM

Scam?

your choice....

It boils down to this being insider trading on the part of Alphabay and because nothing is "really" regulated in crypto who's going to do anything about it? And, let's be honest, what would you expect from a darknet market place. They know they are going to announce using XMR and in the meantime they buy a pretty good stash in stealth mode at very low prices, make the announcement, encourage vendors to stock up and we end up with an ATH and they make some serious cash.  If you were running even a legal business online you may do something similar given the opportunity.

Sure, I cannot argue with that, this is crypto after all and nothing would surprise me.  I just wanted to be clear whatever exchanges did was not down to Monero. 

Also - potential gains made by Alphabay aside - the benefits of XMR's anonymity was probably why it was picked, it does make sense for DNM to use the best anon currency after all.

我想要火箭和火车
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 10:03:08 AM

Nice price action - someone wants a lot of XMR....

Smiley

我想要火箭和火车
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 10:24:56 AM

Smiley

I can't blame him/her.
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 12:21:09 PM

Smiley

I can't blame him/her.

I wonder if the same actor pumped and then sold - there were some large 4000 and 6000 buys and sells in there.

Of course I don't mind, it's nice to see 5% fluctuations in very short time periods - it means people keep an eye and there is good liquidity for large movers.   It also means it's worth day trading and market making.

Also, I get to keep my stash level and still average down a little although the price is way above what my average buy is.

我想要火箭和火车
Pages: « 1 ... 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: