Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:59:54 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 1602 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613 1614 1615 1616 1617 1618 1619 1620 1621 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 1627 1628 1629 1630 1631 1632 1633 1634 [1635] 1636 1637 1638 1639 1640 1641 1642 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 1679 1680 1681 1682 1683 1684 1685 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312568 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Billy Bunter

Activity: 327
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 04:10:12 PM

If Fluffy's new Monero project for Globee gets funded and succeeds as they hope, it'll go a long way towards erasing any lingering bad juju anyone may have for his little inadvertent pump & dump prank earlier this year.

I'm gonna pitch in a couple moneroj later today: this kind of thing "more marketing" is exactly what the naysayers have been naysaying for-frikkin-ever that Monero does not have, but NEEDS more of.

So at the very least, this project ought to shut them up a bit LOL

I hate to bring the other side of the coin here but it needs to be considered.

I agree with this analysis, and I am excited in general.  And have donated more than I have to any other project so far.

But if the deal goes south, or this fails becaused of any reason it will deliver a SERIOUS blow to the image of Monero.  I hope they know what they are doing. 

Asking the community for 4500XMR (currently nearly a half mil USD) and then not delivering would be devastating image wise.

By what measure, would you say, could it be deemed a failure?

Assuming that the funds are generated and that the project goes ahead i.e. that these global companies offer Monero as a currency, I think that would, in a big way, be a success. Whether profits are ever generated sufficient to either recoup Globee's investment and/or the Monero community, is another matter. From a purely trading point of view, I think such an arrangement (depending, of course, on just how big and 'global' these companies truly are) would generate tremendous publicity and speculative pumping.

I think the danger(s) might well be:

a)The project never gets off the ground despite raising sufficient monies
b)The companies involved generate little excitement among users
c)FP's reputation (and therefore, to a degree, Monero's) is compromised by his wearing two hats which might be in conflict with each other.

Baguette Holder.
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 04:17:51 PM
Last edit: September 19, 2017, 04:33:34 PM by KeyJockey

I agree with this analysis, and I am excited in general.  And have donated more than I have to any other project so far.

But if the deal goes south, or this fails becaused of any reason it will deliver a SERIOUS blow to the image of Monero.  I hope they know what they are doing.  

Asking the community for 4500XMR (currently nearly a half mil USD) and then not delivering would be devastating image wise.

You're right, there's always downside-risk to anything *but* I don't feel like it's quite as bad as you're thinking.

If it fails, the failure will likely be mostly limited to being visible to the Monero community: I mean, if the project flops then by definition it sort of means nobody outside in the real world saw it or benefitted from it, right?  So what the world is unaware of at all, cannot damage their perception of it...

The upside of positive visibility to the world-at-large, versus risk of the downside of "yet another marketing failure" (*cough*Jaxx*cough*) to be endured by the long-suffering but still relatively tiny Monero Community seems pretty acceptable to me.

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 04:41:04 PM

Anyone here who has any idea what the xmr price is doing?

It kinda looks bullish and bearish all at once.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
sui_generis

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 04:54:59 PM

I'm guessing it will continue consolidating downwards until the next big catalyst leads to new all time highs. Community growth and new developments in mobile wallets, hardware wallets and tech (RuffCT) have me feeling very bullish long term.
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 05:00:48 PM

I agree with this analysis, and I am excited in general.  And have donated more than I have to any other project so far.

But if the deal goes south, or this fails becaused of any reason it will deliver a SERIOUS blow to the image of Monero.  I hope they know what they are doing.  

You're right, there's always downside-risk to anything *but* I don't feel like it's quite as bad as you're thinking.

If it fails, the failure will likely be mostly limited to being visible to the Monero community: I mean, if the project flops then by definition it sort of means nobody outside in the real world saw it or benefitted from it, right?  So what the world is unaware of at all, cannot damage their perception of it...

The upside of positive visibility to the world-at-large, versus risk of the downside of "yet another marketing failure" (*cough*Jaxx*cough*) to be endured by the long-suffering but still relatively tiny Monero Community seems pretty acceptable to me.

Also keep in mind that this is "just" 450000 bucks today ... i say just because yeah it sounds like a lot... but alone all those steps to do the legal stuff, integration, development of tools is pretty cheap for 450000 ... and we didnt even consider the PR effect alone this could bring ... be it a retailer for slips, shoes, pampers or used condoms :p 450000 $ is a joke for good marketing
Billy Bunter

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 05:34:01 PM

Also keep in mind that this is "just" 450000 bucks today ... i say just because yeah it sounds like a lot... but alone all those steps to do the legal stuff, integration, development of tools is pretty cheap for 450000 ... and we didnt even consider the PR effect alone this could bring ... be it a retailer for slips, shoes, pampers or used condoms :p 450000 $ is a joke for good marketing

It's actually $900,000. $450,000 is the amount required of the FFS.

Baguette Holder.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 06:04:02 PM

IF it is successful enough to repay, it is going to do so in a currency valued probably 10x or more higher...  This also makes it harder to repay.  I don't know where the balance lies, so maybe someone with the time on their hands will do some thinking on that, and get back to us.  Wink
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 06:06:50 PM

I'm guessing XMR and ETC, both are planning to get some huge pumps soon.

XMR is planning to go back to 0.03 BTC and ETC is planning to go back to 0.004 and then new highs.
dazbog835

Activity: 132
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 07:57:27 PM

IF it is successful enough to repay, it is going to do so in a currency valued probably 10x or more higher...  This also makes it harder to repay.  I don't know where the balance lies, so maybe someone with the time on their hands will do some thinking on that, and get back to us.  Wink
a dumb question but i've been away for a month. what did i miss? what are you guys talking about?

EDIT:
nevermind. found it Smiley
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 08:00:03 PM

Assuming that the funds are generated and that the project goes ahead i.e. that these global companies offer Monero as a currency, I think that would, in a big way, be a success. Whether profits are ever generated sufficient to either recoup Globee's investment and/or the Monero community, is another matter. From a purely trading point of view, I think such an arrangement (depending, of course, on just how big and 'global' these companies truly are) would generate tremendous publicity and speculative pumping.

c)FP's reputation (and therefore, to a degree, Monero's) is compromised by his wearing two hats which might be in conflict with each other.

There are a million ways the money being asked for by one of Monero's core devs to help fund an initiative for a company he owns (in part?) would not show a ROI for the Monero community.  item a) above is certainly one.  Or if development starts and then stops.  Or if the community perceives the mystery partner to be much less exciting than what we are seeing pitched.  Or something goes south in the relationship between any of the 3+ actors involved.

In this case it is not just the ~450k USD at stake, but the reputation of the project to some extent.  

I might be perceived as a naysayer, which I am not... not that I really care how I am perceived, but I do think it is both a very exciting sounding possibility for this project, but I also see it as a risk as well...

I think it is worth considering the risk factors.
Billy Bunter

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 08:43:09 PM

There are a million ways the money being asked for by one of Monero's core devs to help fund an initiative for a company he owns (in part?) would not show a ROI for the Monero community.  item a) above is certainly one.  Or if development starts and then stops.  Or if the community perceives the mystery partner to be much less exciting than what we are seeing pitched.  Or something goes south in the relationship between any of the 3+ actors involved.

In this case it is not just the ~450k USD at stake, but the reputation of the project to some extent.  

I might be perceived as a naysayer, which I am not... not that I really care how I am perceived, but I do think it is both a very exciting sounding possibility for this project, but I also see it as a risk as well...

You're right - it is both risky and exciting.

What is curious is that FP must have weighed this issue. Whatever other criticisms people may have of him, I believe he's always put the interests of Monero first (at least insofar as he sees them) and has never tried to pump it. As we know, his mantra has always been 'use it, don't invest in it'. In that sense, the Globee project aligns well with this - it's purpose is to enable Monero to be used as a currency. Outside of the DNM's this would be the first major commercial use-case for Monero.

That said, he has quite clearly nailed his colors to the profit mast here - his 'sell' to the community is that Monero will go up in value should this enterprise succeed. That's a risky claim to infer and one he has never made before.

At any rate I suspect in future we may see a lot less of the old laid-back, t-shirted "I'm a scammer" Fluffy Pony and more of the serious, besuited Riccardo Spagni. Plus ça change.

Baguette Holder.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5015

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 08:47:52 PM

I concur

You're right - it is both risky and exciting.

What is curious is that FP must have weighed this issue. Whatever other criticisms people may have of him, I believe he's always put the interests of Monero first (at least insofar as he sees them) and has never tried to pump it. As we know, his mantra has always been 'use it, don't invest in it'. In that sense, the Globee project aligns well with this - it's purpose is to enable Monero to be used as a currency. Outside of the DNM's this would be the first major commercial use-case for Monero.

That said, he has quite clearly nailed his colors to the profit mast here - his 'sell' to the community is that Monero will go up in value should this enterprise succeed. That's a risky claim to infer and one he has never made before.

At any rate I suspect in future we may see a lot less of the old laid-back, t-shirted "I'm a scammer" Fluffy Pony and more of the serious, besuited Riccardo Spagni. Plus ça change.

and agree with both assessments. Smiley

We should have alot to talk about soon. Cheesy

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 08:51:53 PM

In the grand scheme of things -- despite this particular FFS proposal being so much larger than usual -- a single "marketing project" with a budget of about $1 Million, being undertaken for a "company" with a $1.5 Billion market cap, is actually very normal. TINY even.

It probably costs most Silicon Valley "Unicorns" more for just a decent booth at a week-long trade show.

The proposal is more than half funded already, looks like high probability it'll go thru. So yah there are "risks" but IMHO let's just all get behind this, try to be positive, and PUSH together for a good outcome!

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
LennyCarl

Activity: 176
Merit: 108

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 09:17:42 PM

In the grand scheme of things -- despite this particular FFS proposal being so much larger than usual -- a single "marketing project" with a budget of about $1 Million, being undertaken for a "company" with a $1.5 Billion market cap, is actually very normal. TINY even.

It probably costs most Silicon Valley "Unicorns" more for just a decent booth at a week-long trade show.

The proposal is more than half funded already, looks like high probability it'll go thru. So yah there are "risks" but IMHO let's just all get behind this, try to be positive, and PUSH together for a good outcome!

Yes, and no one of us needs to shoulder a big chunk of it. Just a few moneronis from each of us hodlers that we can afford should suffice (especially if holding from the $10 days or earlier). I mean some guy donated 900 xmr's! but he's an exception...
muvie

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 09:38:50 PM

I times of government interventions and regulations we can expect XMR to rise imho. My personal targets for this year or early 2018 are as follows:

BTC pair: 0.1 BTC
FIAT pair: 300 USD
TeaPanda

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

Twitter: @AndreTeaPanda

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 10:28:52 PM

Just wanted to drop by to say that this one of the projects that I am pretty much sure that will still be around in 20 years
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
⇾ bruyne
September 19, 2017, 10:51:04 PM

Well a FFS was just funded for a person that has been giving presentations all throughout Europe.  BTW this was the 3rd FFS that was funded all for relatively small amounts.

There is quite a bit going on in Monero but you won't know about it if you are only on bct

So where can we get a list of these places? AFA reddit goes I just cannot follow the conversations there with the posts all jumbled up. XMR started here and the main thread should be updated with all these developments you speak of. dEBRUYNE does a great job of dropping things like software updates and crowdfunding requests but the "quite a bit going on" should at least be linked in the main thread.

My critique may or may not be deserved in this case.  Not everybody has the time and or motivation to keep up on all the news.

As you note, dEBRUYNE does and excellent job at providing relevant info and links.  Just go to the places he is at  Cool  From there you can end up where all the info is, as if it was all connected by a web.

Some like yourself will not or don't like to go to certain places (maybe reddit)

Links?  I only have a few hundred pages and sites linked in my Monero favorites folder.

https://i.imgur.com/6AaXWZZ.png  << most people still think btc is anonymous, a poll that just concluded

http://ibb.co/b8XaEQ  << I guess they don't look past the headlines

at least Monero is #2  for whatever that poll is truly worth

A very good site that tries to collect info and links  >>  https://www.monero.how/
a very webby site ^^

EDIT: now idea why that site is not being directly linked
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 10:59:18 PM

Yes Monero is doing
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 11:13:20 PM

Yes Monero is doing

A riddle wrapped in an enigma, eh?

Well, I'll figure it out one day and retort when you least expect it!

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5015

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 11:46:20 PM

Well a FFS was just funded for a person that has been giving presentations all throughout Europe.  BTW this was the 3rd FFS that was funded all for relatively small amounts.

There is quite a bit going on in Monero but you won't know about it if you are only on bct

So where can we get a list of these places? AFA reddit goes I just cannot follow the conversations there with the posts all jumbled up. XMR started here and the main thread should be updated with all these developments you speak of. dEBRUYNE does a great job of dropping things like software updates and crowdfunding requests but the "quite a bit going on" should at least be linked in the main thread.

My critique may or may not be deserved in this case.  Not everybody has the time and or motivation to keep up on all the news.

As you note, dEBRUYNE does and excellent job at providing relevant info and links.  Just go to the places he is at  Cool  From there you can end up where all the info is, as if it was all connected by a web.

Some like yourself will not or don't like to go to certain places (maybe reddit)

Links?  I only have a few hundred pages and sites linked in my Monero favorites folder.

https://i.imgur.com/6AaXWZZ.png  << most people still think btc is anonymous, a poll that just concluded

http://ibb.co/b8XaEQ  << I guess they don't look past the headlines

at least Monero is #2  for whatever that poll is truly worth

A very good site that tries to collect info and links  >>  https://www.monero.how/
a very webby site ^^

EDIT: now idea why that site is not being directly linked

True, I have far too many links to check them all and I'm adding that one to my list! Cheesy

AFA people not linking it more, I'd say that most people are afraid to goto links not placed by reputable members or ones that are directly from an official Monero site. There are far to many scam and dangerous sites a few of which hide as Monero sites so it is better safe than sorry. Monero has had more than it's share of scam sites using it's name.

This is sort of a list at the site you linked

https://www.monero.how/sites-with-poor-reputation

But there are others and the link to Gingers list no longer points to Gingers list if it even exists anymore.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Pages: « 1 ... 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 1602 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613 1614 1615 1616 1617 1618 1619 1620 1621 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 1627 1628 1629 1630 1631 1632 1633 1634 [1635] 1636 1637 1638 1639 1640 1641 1642 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 1659 1660 1661 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1668 1669 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 1676 1677 1678 1679 1680 1681 1682 1683 1684 1685 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: