April 24, 2024, 04:10:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: ...
. - 0 (0%)
.. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: « 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gigamining / Teramining  (Read 216391 times)
burger

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 11:28:31 PM

For U.S. residents, an apostille is of course not necessary, and most people can get notarizing done for free or a very nominal fee.  [...] So I'm not sure whether Giga is in a position where he could do a buyback for those people who are looking at a big expense for apostille, since those are the people for whom OFAC regulations become an issue.

Wrong and wrong. An apostille + getting a notary look at you while you sign something costs quite a bit around here not because my home country is fighting the US or something but simply because we have a much higher GDP and standard of living than the US. Also to open a bank account (and getting a credit card on top of that with a few thousand EUR limit) I need less paperwork than to finally get my ~5-6 EUR worth of dividends off shares that I bought for ~40 EUR worth at that time.

As far as I understand it, all I owned all the time was a simple contract that was bought from giga (or someone else who bought it from giga) that guaranteed me that he'd be hashing Bitcoins and send me an amount that was specified in the contract in certain intervals. This is not much more than any renderfarm or provider of webservers does. I guess all the fear and "lawyering" stems from the fact that Bitcoin might in the future(?) considered some kind of money which would mean I bought a contract for getting money and not a simple service. Maybe something along the lines of buying a money printing press collectively...

However, I'd like to see proof that Bitcoin are actually money first and/or creating Bitcoin is an act of cerating money and not equivalent to rendering a frame of Big Buck Bunny or Elephant's Dream (just with different algorithms running) before I comply with these regulations prematurely. Actually anyone sending their info to this lawyer (if he even exists/is a lawyer!) might get into far bigger trouble should Bitcoin really be considered money and Bitcoin mining be considered an act of creating money.

yeah, it costs alot... take a look at this site here in sweden: http://www.notariuspublicus.se/prislista/

Intygande / Affidavit 500 kr
+
Apostille 325 kr
=
825 kr and is like $123.

"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
qxzn

Activity: 609
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 04:40:19 AM

Can somebody advise me on what to do here? I have 40 shares which I really have no idea what they are worth any more. I am somewhat hesitant to send my personal information to somebody who I don't know and don't have a lot of reason to trust (or distrust.. no data either way), but it seems that's the only way to get anything back out of this investment.

Can somebody summarize some arguments both ways for me? And also has anyone done the claim process and gotten some coins back yet? Anyone have success doing the claim without handing over their Social Security number (my least fave part of this whole deal).

Thanks.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 11:40:15 AM

Can somebody advise me on what to do here?
Lawyer up... potentially sue the LLC. Anything else probably puts you in a worse situation.

As I already wrote, there are probably 2 ways to look at a mining contract:
1) You're paying money and getting money back (progagbly Giga's lawyer's pov) - this means you're earning interest on an investment etc.
2) You're paying money and getting a service back (hashing work converted to Bitcoin) - similar to any contract that sells computation power (like render farms).

Probably nobody knows which of these 2 will hold in front of a court (even the "you're paying money" is debatable, if Bitocin are not money in the first place), the worse case of these 2 is of course case 1), where Giga nearly operates a bank/money printing operation from a legal pov. To decide definitively you need to lawyer up, drag Giga's LLC to court and you'll probably settle this out of court, since it's much cheaper to just pay you whatever you want to have for the 40 shares than to risk having to pay all "bond"holders if the court really makes a decision.

There will be a LOT of people not jumping through these regulations and just writing the few shares off, so Giga can probably easily pay his lawyer from the money you threw at him.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 02:04:48 PM

Lawyer up... potentially sue the LLC. Anything else probably puts you in a worse situation.

As I already wrote, there are probably 2 ways to look at a mining contract:
1) You're paying money and getting money back (progagbly Giga's lawyer's pov) - this means you're earning interest on an investment etc.
2) You're paying money and getting a service back (hashing work converted to Bitcoin) - similar to any contract that sells computation power (like render farms).

Probably nobody knows which of these 2 will hold in front of a court (even the "you're paying money" is debatable, if Bitocin are not money in the first place), the worse case of these 2 is of course case 1), where Giga nearly operates a bank/money printing operation from a legal pov. To decide definitively you need to lawyer up, drag Giga's LLC to court and you'll probably settle this out of court, since it's much cheaper to just pay you whatever you want to have for the 40 shares than to risk having to pay all "bond"holders if the court really makes a decision.

There will be a LOT of people not jumping through these regulations and just writing the few shares off, so Giga can probably easily pay his lawyer from the money you threw at him.
OR

You can just fill out the form, send in the information and start getting your dividends.  On this path you will:

1) Have to trust his attorney to keep your information private and secure.
2) Get a 1099 (or other form if you are not in the US) at the end of the year which will contain the dollar value of all BTC sent to you, valued at the time they were sent.
3) Since you get a 1099 (or other form) it will be up to you to report this on your income tax form
4) I personally believe that the GIGAMINING share are now worth zero as (so far anyway) there is no method to sell or transfer them to anyone else
5) Therefore you could probably write off the entire (USD equivalent) amount you used to buy the shares - this would offset any 1099 income and will probably give you a net loss on your taxes

On the last point you should concur with someone that knows what they are talking about I am not a tax guru.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 02:15:01 PM

Sue over 40 shares?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 02:34:20 PM

4) I personally believe that the GIGAMINING share are now worth zero as (so far anyway) there is no method to sell or transfer them to anyone else
The pending BTC is 3984 for 40,000 shares, so they are at least 3984 / 40,000 = 0,0996 BTC each.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 03:55:30 PM

The pending BTC is 3984 for 40,000 shares, so they are at least 3984 / 40,000 = 0,0996 BTC each.
I meant the market value of the contract/shares/bonds themselves assuming you keep them, they are not transferrable, you receive all pending and future BTC payouts (1099 income), ASICs hit the market this coming year, etc.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 04:10:10 PM

I meant the market value of the contract/shares/bonds themselves assuming you keep them, they are not transferrable, you receive all pending and future BTC payouts (1099 income), ASICs hit the market this coming year, etc.

They are never worthless as they perpetually pay. So he is on the hook forever. They must be bought back unless
he wants to keep paying forever. And in order to buy back a price must be set times 1.05. And saying it is 0 at this
point in time is simply inaccurate.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 04:22:32 PM

They are never worthless as they perpetually pay. So he is on the hook forever. They must be bought back unless
he wants to keep paying forever. And in order to buy back a price must be set times 1.05. And saying it is 0 at this
That is my opinion as far as taxes go.  Please ignore it.  Thanks.

Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 11:18:18 PM

Sue over 40 shares?
Well, they were worth more than 1 BTC per share at IPO - over 180 Leu is also something, isn't it?

Also depending on your insurances (you can insure against legal expenses quite cheap), something like this might anyways be covered. Reporting at the police as the bare minimum is surely free and depending on your country's standing with the US could also already create some attitude changes in the LLC that holds our shares hostage.

Also if you fill these forms, if Giga goes down, you're going down with him. He has an LLC - do you?

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 12:28:35 AM

Sue over 40 shares?
Well, they were worth more than 1 BTC per share at IPO - over 180 Leu is also something, isn't it?

Also depending on your insurances (you can insure against legal expenses quite cheap), something like this might anyways be covered. Reporting at the police as the bare minimum is surely free and depending on your country's standing with the US could also already create some attitude changes in the LLC that holds our shares hostage.

Also if you fill these forms, if Giga goes down, you're going down with him. He has an LLC - do you?

I do not think you can do what he did and retroactively move to an llc on a whim. That wont fly.
The longer this is delayed, more bs piled on, etc.. The better for the operator. People are getting played right now. It is so easy to see. Apply pressure now.
lumberjack

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 04:58:18 AM

I do not think you can do what he did and retroactively move to an llc on a whim. That wont fly.

Was it retroactive? I thought he'd always had the LLC, as noted:

http://gigamining.com/faq.html

Virtual Processing Solutions, LLC is the business I have owned and operated by me, James Gibson, since July 20, 2011 to encompass all mining and business activities I have been a part of in the bitcoin community. These records are available via the Florida government websites and this business is in good standing with all local, state and federal agencies which govern it.

Deprived

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 06:03:49 AM

Was it retroactive? I thought he'd always had the LLC, as noted:

http://gigamining.com/faq.html

Virtual Processing Solutions, LLC is the business I have owned and operated by me, James Gibson, since July 20, 2011 to encompass all mining and business activities I have been a part of in the bitcoin community. These records are available via the Florida government websites and this business is in good standing with all local, state and federal agencies which govern it.

Him having the LLC isn't the same thing as the contracts being pffered by the LLC.  For that to be the case he'd need to have identified the LLC as offering the contracts when said contracts were offered.  You can't personally enter a contract then later claim that your commitments under that contract were actually made by an undisclosed LLC.  Maybe he DID state the LLC was offering the contracts - if so, all he has to do is show where that was spelled out (or if he claims that was stated in the GLBSE contract, say so - as apparently he's claiming not to have bothered keeping a copy of his own contract).
superfastkyle

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:43:39 AM

they are worthless when your perpetual payments are from a scammer

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 01:26:25 PM

Sue over 40 shares?

FWIW 180 Lei would buy you a modest lawn mower, so I guess it's something. The problem here is that while banks give away free toaster ovens with any new account, lawyers do not give away free lawn mowers with every new customer.

They also cost something like that to just read your case description. And by something like that I mean more than that.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 04:30:43 PM

That's why I mentioned insurances. Clearly the path of the law is paved with money, but some of the more basic steps (go to the police, file a potential fraud claim) are often free. Also at least around here once a week any citizen can go to the local court and get to talk to a lawyer + get legal advice for free. I bet the ppl. there would be more than happy not to hear about the next tree that has branches growing over the fence or some other borig stuff but something more exotic like these contracts/bonds.

As I still haven't gotten any reply back from this lawyer (even though I set a quite generous deadline for an answer), it's now time for me to escalate this further...

jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 04:45:51 PM

As I still haven't gotten any reply back from this lawyer

Hi Sukrim,

There was no point in Quentin replying until the affidavit was available for everyone. I will be speaking with him today regarding the Teramining contract and will ask when he will start replying. If you feel your patience has been worn thin, I apologize, but this is not going as fast as I would like either.

Best,
James
2GOOD

Activity: 547
Merit: 531

First bits: 12good

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 06:26:46 PM

I have a question, what about Digital Signature, here in Bulgaria I can get one for 10-16 Euros, and I can sign electronic mails, documents etc. It is accepted by government, banks so on. This way I only have to sign a pdf or whatever and you know that it's me who is signing. No need for scanned IDs and affidavit for the pdf.

burger

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 07:23:49 PM

I have a question, what about Digital Signature, here in Bulgaria I can get one for 10-16 Euros, and I can sign electronic mails, documents etc. It is accepted by government, banks so on. This way I only have to sign a pdf or whatever and you know that it's me who is signing. No need for scanned IDs and affidavit for the pdf.

That way would be nice to have it done.

I'm searching for a law firm that does that... if not, then I have to print the paper... get it to the guy that signatures it and then take a photo of the document an then e-mail it to the gigamining lawyer.

johnlu

Activity: 471
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 12:41:46 AM

As I still haven't gotten any reply back from this lawyer

Hi Sukrim,

There was no point in Quentin replying until the affidavit was available for everyone. I will be speaking with him today regarding the Teramining contract and will ask when he will start replying. If you feel your patience has been worn thin, I apologize, but this is not going as fast as I would like either.

Best,
James

I'm in the same situation, no respose back. I wrote to Quentin and you un 27th november...
Pages: « 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 »
  Print  

Jump to: