Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:17:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Emergency ANN] Bitcoinica site is taken offline for security investigation  (Read 224549 times)
R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 06:35:19 PM

^wow those are some busy blocks.
On a slightly related note: blockchain wallets are offline Sad

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 06:37:28 PM

I don't mean to be rude but I don't understand how people on this forum manage to get scammed literally every day by something new.... and the worst part is.. nothing ever happens.. You guys will make a collection thread no doubt.. and that will be that..

It must be embarrassing for some of you.... ?

Not a great way to make friends and influence people.  Oh well...it's basically true and sometimes the truth hurts.

My unpopular opinion is that these ripoffs actually benefit the Bitcoin economy:
  • Vulnerabilities are discovered, security awareness and best practices are spread while Bitcoin is still in beta
  • Stolen Bitcoins get into circulation and level the initial imbalance of early adopters vs. others
  • Risk of theft counteracts hoarding and the deflationary spiral and encourages people to spend Bitcoins while they still have them

#1 and #2 were my opinion when I was initially interested in Bitcoin.  And remain so.

#3 I had not really thought of and do not agree with.  Possibly because I am a hoarder and because I have never worries to much about people stealing my stuff due to negligence on my part.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 07:11:54 PM

Nice  Shocked

Can the current owner(s) of bitcoinica comment on these transactions that took place today?

if you look closely those are blocks relayed through bitcoinica's node not transactions, normal network operation if you ask me.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

https://i.imgur.com/1e8J1.jpg
^^^ Coin movement so far. Previous commenter was correct about those blocks simply being blocks relayed by Bitcoinica.

On a related note, we know they "donated" some of Bitcoinica's BTC to the faucet, does anyone recognize any of the other addresses?
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 07:38:27 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2012, 07:55:56 PM by Otoh

https://i.imgur.com/1e8J1.jpg
^^^ Coin movement so far. Previous commenter was correct about those blocks simply being blocks relayed by Bitcoinica.

On a related note, we know they "donated" some of Bitcoinica's BTC to the faucet, does anyone recognize any of the other addresses?

so atm they are just working with 1 out of the 7 of the 2,600 BTC stashes they split it in to & seems they are just slicing off miniscule bits of it (from 16 coins or less) as the 'donation' to the faucet does so basically they are still sitting on the 18,000 odd coins for now, not sure how these little micro finance dispersments help them unless to spread the loot's taint as wide as possible before they get down to some serious laundering

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 07:45:06 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=58011

Whitelisted without a single post; that's a record!
Bitcoinica Consultancy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 07:48:15 PM

From now on this will be the official Bitcoinica Bitcointalk account. We asked the moderators to whilelist it.
Bitcoinica Consultancy

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 07:50:53 PM

To all those still speculating about Bitcoinica's ownership, allow us to clear up some facts.

Bitcoinica LP is a New Zealand Limited Partnership which is wholly operated by Bitcoinica Consultancy LTD a New Zealand registered company.

Mr. Heaslip is an accounting professional who assisted us with registrations and company formation. He has his own business interests in New Zealand which are otherwise unrelated.

The majority limited partner in Bitcoinica Limited Partnership is an investment fund which specializes in technology start-up investments. Mr. Seale is a facilitator for this fund and was instrumental in bringing investment into Bitcoinica LP to support it's operation and growth. He has also helped bring investment to CoinLab and other bitcoin businesses. CoinLab and Bitcoinica are otherwise unrelated. Additionally, Mr. Seale is an advisor or investor with dozens of companies outside the bitcoin space. Bitcoinica LP and those companies are also unrelated.

While we appreciate everyone's enthusiasm, we would prefer to focus our efforts on restoring account access for our customers rather than squashing additional speculation and rumors here. We will be giving more announcements as updates come.

We thank everyone for your understanding.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 08:07:38 PM

Mr. Seale is a facilitator for this fund and was instrumental in bringing investment into Bitcoinica LP to support it's operation and growth.

Please extend my condolences to the investors.  You win some, you lose some.

Investors should be warned that Bitcoin is a bit like The Hulk.  It seems to have a nasty tendency to indiscriminately smash people and things around it...at least in business land.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
faidsaid

Activity: 43

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 08:34:11 PM

To all those still speculating about Bitcoinica's ownership, allow us to clear up some facts.

Bitcoinica LP is a New Zealand Limited Partnership which is wholly operated by Bitcoinica Consultancy LTD a New Zealand registered company.

Mr. Heaslip is an accounting professional who assisted us with registrations and company formation. He has his own business interests in New Zealand which are otherwise unrelated.

The majority limited partner in Bitcoinica Limited Partnership is an investment fund which specializes in technology start-up investments. Mr. Seale is a facilitator for this fund and was instrumental in bringing investment into Bitcoinica LP to support it's operation and growth. He has also helped bring investment to CoinLab and other bitcoin businesses. CoinLab and Bitcoinica are otherwise unrelated. Additionally, Mr. Seale is an advisor or investor with dozens of companies outside the bitcoin space. Bitcoinica LP and those companies are also unrelated.

While we appreciate everyone's enthusiasm, we would prefer to focus our efforts on restoring account access for our customers rather than squashing additional speculation and rumors here. We will be giving more announcements as updates come.

We thank everyone for your understanding.

If you don't have a plan by now you are simply hopeless. Just to entertain the notion that you aren't, what is the plan for restoring customer's funds to them? What is the timeline and where is the process on that timeline?

Please, no hip shooting on this, a coherent formal response is long overdue. Start a thread, you know the drill.
btcgoldsilver

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

Bitcoins Gold Silver

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 09:16:50 PM

So...

when can i get my bitcoins refunded?

any timeline?

16ZodW6mxFkmxrCy5MSii7PLJ6VdfNknue
Bitcoinica Consultancy

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 09:46:44 PM

The plan has already been mentioned. However I can understand it can be hard to filter the amount of information, particularly in this thread. The plan is to create a reclaim process where we can identify users based on their account information. Users with larger balances will undergo a more thorough screening process as well for safety.

Operationally, we were only days away from fully being in a general partner position. However, as previously stated, these switch overs cannot happen overnight. Once we had fully taken over, one of the first things we would have done is change the administrative access capacity to the server. We are now adamant to have that done before we put up the claims page.

We'd like to apologize for the delay in putting up the reclaim page. As stated, we want to be sure that we have full and exclusive administrative access before allowing people submit reclaims. Our technical officer is both in a different time zone than Zhou and Zhou also has obligations with his school. Initially, we needed to investigate and internally discuss how we would move forward. With a situation like this rushing things is by far the worst decision. For that reason, I can't guarantee a time frame but my best guess would be that the claims form will be done by tomorrow. I will update you once I have more information.
btcgoldsilver

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

Bitcoins Gold Silver

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 10:43:29 PM

Thanks for the update

16ZodW6mxFkmxrCy5MSii7PLJ6VdfNknue
guruvan

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 11:34:21 PM

The plan has already been mentioned. However I can understand it can be hard to filter the amount of information, particularly in this thread. The plan is to create a reclaim process where we can identify users based on their account information. Users with larger balances will undergo a more thorough screening process as well for safety.

Operationally, we were only days away from fully being in a general partner position. However, as previously stated, these switch overs cannot happen overnight. Once we had fully taken over, one of the first things we would have done is change the administrative access capacity to the server. We are now adamant to have that done before we put up the claims page.

We'd like to apologize for the delay in putting up the reclaim page. As stated, we want to be sure that we have full and exclusive administrative access before allowing people submit reclaims. Our technical officer is both in a different time zone than Zhou and Zhou also has obligations with his school. Initially, we needed to investigate and internally discuss how we would move forward. With a situation like this rushing things is by far the worst decision. For that reason, I can't guarantee a time frame but my best guess would be that the claims form will be done by tomorrow. I will update you once I have more information.

You'd like to apologize, but never have bothered to. Don't. Just get the money.

You've delayed long enough, you've convinced enough people that you're
a) dishonest
b) incompetent
c) not concerned with customer service
d) probably not in posession of 100% of your customers' deposits.

Since the form to request the Bitcoinica funds is not up yet, maybe it is best to just report how much Bitcoinica owes them to the New Zealand Serious Fraud Office (complaints@sfo.govt.nz).

I will be making this report this evening. I'm sick and tired of the lame excuses, delay tactics, and other bullshit I've seen from "Bitcoinica Consultancy"

I will add to that when I find out how much bitcoinica has stolen from me by closing my position forcibly before actually giving me the cash.

(oh, yeah, you bet, if the exchange rate is in my favor, and you liquidated me lower, you're gonna hear more from me and the SFO)

zhoutong (OP)
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 12:33:01 AM

Nice  Shocked

Can the current owner(s) of bitcoinica comment on these transactions that took place today?

I'm not an owner, but I know what happened.

We have a fallback node called fallback.nodes.bitcoinica.com. It's still running in Linode. That was initially set up to provide external connections for our secure vault server (which can only access trusted nodes).

Since the network conditions are great, the node has always maintained hundreds of connections and it's very likely to be the first one to relay new transactions.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
btccomm

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:22:44 AM

Is this the mass leak?

http://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions-per-block
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:25:04 AM

lol no, that is just the Satoshidice gambling platform.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
btccomm

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:30:44 AM

what's the deal with this then?
http://blockchain.info/tree/5416502

why did the tree get so big so fast.  what am i missing?
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:34:50 AM

what's the deal with this then?
http://blockchain.info/tree/5416502

why did the tree get so big so fast.  what am i missing?
It's something called "money laundering": breaking up the stolen coins into smaller units to make them harder to follow, and sending them to many different addresses. Fortunately with Bitcoin, we have a blockchain that makes it a bit easier to follow.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
btccomm

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 03:48:55 AM

it looks exponential and very methodical to me
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 »
  Print  

Jump to: