Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:09:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 [184] 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916343 times)
velacreations

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:09:53 PM

I just saw that Wired received a BFL unit.  Are they shipping?  And if so, how does that affect plans and profit?

Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
furuknap

Activity: 294

http://coin.furuknap.net/

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 09:18:41 PM

I just saw that Wired received a BFL unit.  Are they shipping?  And if so, how does that affect plans and profit?

I'm a current investor, so keep that in mind as a disclaimer.

I don't see BFL shipping as any immediate threats to profit. The plans were laid out a long time ago, and friedcat has been keeping everyone updated on the progress in a very commendable way.

For profit, the only aspect where I 'fear' an impact is in sales of units.

AM had just proven that they can deliver in less than four days from sale, which is about as amazing as finding a herd of unicorns (where finding a single unicorn is quite common). This is awesome, _however_ the price their recent auction attracted was largely because of timing. AM could deliver, BFL could not (and Avalon was sold out). Now, BFL evidently can deliver (albeit slowly) and Avalon wants to sell a batch #4.

This will probably impact sales prices of AM units, maybe drastically. This is bad news because selling a unit is essentially realizing its entire lifetime of revenue at once, avoiding the whole arms race thing completely. This greatly reduces risk and allows AM to put money into research to create new and improved chips. Without those sales, they will have to wait for 'regular' revenue to catch up or drop prices. If prices drop due to BFL and Avalon being more available, maybe the train for high-priced ASICs from AM has left, and they will get much less profit for the next batch than they anticipate.

This is all just random babble, though. Don't take anything I say as financial advice because I really have no idea what will happen.

.b

velacreations

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:34:30 PM

I don't see BFL shipping as any immediate threats to profit. The plans were laid out a long time ago, and friedcat has been keeping everyone updated on the progress in a very commendable way.

For profit, the only aspect where I 'fear' an impact is in sales of units.

AM had just proven that they can deliver in less than four days from sale, which is about as amazing as finding a herd of unicorns (where finding a single unicorn is quite common). This is awesome, _however_ the price their recent auction attracted was largely because of timing. AM could deliver, BFL could not (and Avalon was sold out). Now, BFL evidently can deliver (albeit slowly) and Avalon wants to sell a batch #4.

This will probably impact sales prices of AM units, maybe drastically. This is bad news because selling a unit is essentially realizing its entire lifetime of revenue at once, avoiding the whole arms race thing completely. This greatly reduces risk and allows AM to put money into research to create new and improved chips. Without those sales, they will have to wait for 'regular' revenue to catch up or drop prices. If prices drop due to BFL and Avalon being more available, maybe the train for high-priced ASICs from AM has left, and they will get much less profit for the next batch than they anticipate.

ok, maybe what I meant to say was how will this affect the short-term deployment plan?  I assume friedcat is getting things online ASAP, so there's probably not much he can do on that front, but if this does affect sales, will we be changing the strategy a bit to mine more, sell less?

And will any of this affect my weekly dividend?

Maybe friedcat can talk about this in the weekly update today or tomorrow, I am interested to see how we address this change in the market.

ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:45:48 PM

Imagine if overnight, asicminer went to 10 TH/s Grin

(BFL)^2 < 0
furuknap

Activity: 294

http://coin.furuknap.net/

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 09:48:06 PM

ok, maybe what I meant to say was how will this affect the short-term deployment plan?  I assume friedcat is getting things online ASAP, so there's probably not much he can do on that front, but if this does affect sales, will we be changing the strategy a bit to mine more, sell less?

And will any of this affect my weekly dividend?

Maybe friedcat can talk about this in the weekly update today or tomorrow, I am interested to see how we address this change in the market.

To be blunt, I think that if you're in this for the short term to turn a quick buck, you may be going about this the wrong way. AM and friedcat know far more about this game than most of us and I'm confident that they will manage to put together a strategy that puts the long-term viability first, gladly at the expense of short-term dividend goals.

Even at current rates, we're looking at a dividend rate of around 25% at curren BTCT prices or around ฿1.08, which is close to insane in any market but Bitcoin. To compare that, Apple's latest dividend increase to $3.XX represents something like a 3% annual dividend. Microsoft currently stands at just shy of 3%.

Even if AM manages to keep their current dividends, though, we're still looking at a 4-5 year span before you 'get your money back' as some people have wanted in other threads. I still think that's rather insane and would prefer it if AM retained more of its earnings to invest in better, newer, more competitive hardware. This might reduce dividend rate, but will also increase the chance that there is sufficient funding for long-term goals. A 10% dividend would still be incredibly high, but owuld reduce risk by quite a lot, in my opinion.

The current arms race is just that; a race. However, this isn't a 100m sprint where you get your full price if you finish first, it is a marathon.

.b

matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:14:31 PM

To compare that, Apple's latest dividend increase to $3.XX represents something like a 3% annual dividend. Microsoft currently stands at just shy of 3%.

Just one important thing to keep in mind here: Apple and Microsoft's business models do not have their revenues halving by design every four years. Otherwise, I agree with the comparison, and I hold some shares Wink

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:53:18 PM

link please?

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Franktank

Activity: 560

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:02:06 PM

Apart from friedcat saying it himself, there is no definitive way to determine AM deployment.

However, one could visit websites likes:

http://bitcoincharts.com/

http://bitcoin.sipa.be/

From this, you could see that total network hash rate had jumped by 20 TH/s in the last couple days. Now, this leads to the following possibilities:

1) BFL had shipped en masse

2) Avalom Batch 2 shipment is completed

3) One man farm, hashing with over 1 million GPU cards

4) ASICMiner starting their deployment

You tell me
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 11:06:29 PM

Apart from friedcat saying it himself, there is no definitive way to determine AM deployment.

From this, you could see that total network hash rate had jumped by 20 TH/s in the last couple days. Now, this leads to the following possibilities:

You tell me

OK - I tell you: You're misinterpreting the hashrate estimate.

Use bitcoin.sipa.be on the 7 or 14 day windows. Do not use the bitcoincharts estimates. If you see the hashrate swinging wildly it's nearly alway luck rather than massive jumps and drops in hashrate. I do my own analysis of the hashrate and as of 12 hours ago the network hashrate estimate stood at ~ 74 Thps. There has been no increases or fluctuations in the past few days.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Franktank

Activity: 560

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:08:07 PM

You tell me

OK - I tell you: You're misinterpreting the hashrate estimate.

Use bitcoin.sipa.be on the 7 or 14 day windows. Do not use the bitcoincharts estimates. If you see the hashrate swining wildly it's nearly alway luck rather than massive jumps and drops in hashrate. I do my own analysis of the hashrate and as of 12 hours ago the network hashrate estimate stood at ~ 74 Thps. There has been no increases or fluctuations in the past few days.

Ok fair enough and thanks for clarifying. I was hoping for option 3 though...
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 11:10:19 PM
Last edit: April 25, 2013, 11:20:53 PM by SebastianJu

Great summary, SebastianJu. Just wanted to add:

Asicminer-Shares to Asicminer-Passthrough-Shares Comparison:

Asicminer-Shares:
Pro:
* No delayed dividends compared to passthrough shares

Asicminer-Passthrough-Shares:
Con:
* Delayed dividends compared to non-passthrough shares

Asicminer-Passthroughs Comparison:

Burnsides AM-PT on btct.co
Pro:
* AM-PT: Usually dividends less delayed than AM-PT on bitfunder.com

DeadTerras AM-PT on bitfunder.com
Con:
* AM-PT: Usually dividends more delayed than AM-PT on btct.co

Thank you. Thats valid. Something has to be missed. Smiley

Fixed?

Great summary, SebastianJu. Just wanted to add:

Asicminer-Shares to Asicminer-Passthrough-Shares Comparison:

Asicminer-Shares:
Pro:
* No delayed dividends compared to passthrough shares

Con:
* Harder to liquidate the asset

Asicminer-Passthrough-Shares:
Pro:
* Easier to liquidate and buy backs

Con:
* Delayed dividends compared to non-passthrough shares

Asicminer-Passthroughs Comparison:

Burnsides AM-PT on btct.co
Pro:
* AM-PT: Usually dividends less delayed than AM-PT on bitfunder.com

DeadTerras AM-PT on bitfunder.com
Con:
* AM-PT: Usually dividends more delayed than AM-PT on btct.co

I had it in the list as harder/easier to trade. But i added now that one can get faster/slower access to bitcoins/Shares to make it more detailed.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Rant2112

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:46:52 PM

At the price the Block Erupter Blades sold for I'd MUCH prefer that they sell the new ASICs rather than mining with them.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:51:19 PM

At the price the Block Erupter Blades sold for I'd MUCH prefer that they sell the new ASICs rather than mining with them.
The key thing is that ASICMINER won't be able to sell at that price again.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 12:11:02 AM

We won't know that until the next auction.

AM's proven record of rapid order satisfaction (which has now removed any uncertainty about their ability to deliver) and the resulting publicity may increase the final bids for future offerings beyond the initial results.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
asnonmous

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:17:46 AM

AM's proven record of rapid order satisfaction (which has now removed any uncertainty about their ability to deliver) and the resulting publicity may increase the final bids for future offerings beyond the initial results.

Exactly.  A 4 day delivery time is insane compared to our competition.  Each day of delay is worth, currently, ~0.6btc.  The delays of Avalon are largely unpredictable.  BFL flat out can't be trusted.  AM delivers, and they deliver ridiculously fast.

Moreover,

That is only true if you assume that the miners buying these are making a mistake.  If they are overpaying it is better for us to sell them.  If they are underpaying it is better for us to mine with them.  I trust that they have worked out the math before making a bid for several thousand dollars.  If they are paying just the right amount, it makes no difference whether we sell or mine.
nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 01:32:41 AM
Last edit: April 26, 2013, 04:00:13 AM by nebulus

I think the point he is trying to make is that eventually price on the boards is going to decline.
Wanted to post a similar comment but he beat me to it.

imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 03:08:46 AM

If they are paying just the right amount, it makes no difference whether we sell or mine.

Except that if you sell, its coin in hand right away vs mining which takes a while to collect the coin.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 03:42:32 AM

If they are paying just the right amount, it makes no difference whether we sell or mine.

Except that if you sell, its coin in hand right away vs mining which takes a while to collect the coin.

A coin in the blockchain is worth two in the mainframe.

IOW, it's better to get the money now because of the risks associated with mining (difficulty, hosting, hardware failure) and invest it in the next gen of 28nm chips.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 03:44:18 AM

A coin in the blockchain is worth two in the mainframe.

IOW, it's better to get the money now because of the risks associated with mining (difficulty, hosting, hardware failure) and invest it in the next gen of 28nm chips.

Exactly.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 03:44:33 AM

People are not going to pay the right amount though. So far it's clear they are are willing to far pay more for a Blade than it's likely to earn over the device life time - even if they get it within a few days of ordering.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Pages: « 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 [184] 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: