Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:10:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 [536] 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916327 times)
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 03:13:06 PM

for some reason I sold all my shares at 3.8x, I had just returned from holiday and didn't know what was going on I guess... hashrate down, blabla...

Buy back now? I have made a large profit so far, but was happy until yesterday to leave my BTC in AM.

I will have lost one whole share if I do, but at least I'm still with AM (who I had planned to stick with for at least 6 months... that's 4 months to go...)

My advice? If I were throwing BTC at mining stocks, I'd spread it around with AM, AMC, LabCoin, BTCGarden etc. AM is proven and therefore less risky, but also has less growth potential, given the current price. I'm a huge AM fan and I hope to stay an investors for years to come, but putting all your fried feline eggs in one basket still isn't wise - diversify!

Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
michaelGedi

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 03:20:55 PM

for some reason I sold all my shares at 3.8x, I had just returned from holiday and didn't know what was going on I guess... hashrate down, blabla...

Buy back now? I have made a large profit so far, but was happy until yesterday to leave my BTC in AM.

I will have lost one whole share if I do, but at least I'm still with AM (who I had planned to stick with for at least 6 months... that's 4 months to go...)

My advice? If I were throwing BTC at mining stocks, I'd spread it around with AM, AMC, LabCoin, BTCGarden etc. AM is proven and therefore less risky, but also has less growth potential, given the current price. I'm a huge AM fan and I hope to stay an investors for years to come, but putting all your fried feline eggs in one basket still isn't wise - diversify!

ok thanks, I'm a very uneducated irrational speculator so this helps.

I'll have to do my homework on the other stocks. Though part of me is inclined to just cold storage these coins now and sit on them for a bit... BTC/USD price is displaying interesting behaviour atm

TRADE FOREX, STOCKS AND COMMODITIES without the paperwork with Bitcoin: https://1broker.com/m/r.php?i=3589

1BROKER has been around since 2012 and is going strong
gog1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 03:42:46 PM

I see this orphan, tx fee discussions as red herring.  Tx fee are insignificant relative to block reward.  Even if that tx fee becomes huge and ASICMINER solo mining is unable to capture them, it can always be limited to a couple of percent by pointing to mining pools again.

There's now technical / manufacturing issue (delay of blades) and potentially supply chain / demand forecast issue (USB ran out of stocks) - those are far more critical.
canth
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 04:35:34 PM

I see this orphan, tx fee discussions as red herring.  Tx fee are insignificant relative to block reward.  Even if that tx fee becomes huge and ASICMINER solo mining is unable to capture them, it can always be limited to a couple of percent by pointing to mining pools again.

There's now technical / manufacturing issue (delay of blades) and potentially supply chain / demand forecast issue (USB ran out of stocks) - those are far more critical.

Agreed, in the short term, hardware sales are fare more lucrative so there is more of an impact on revenue.

Long term, I would say that it's not just as simple as pointing to a new pool. Let's put it bluntly - internet networking services in china are more problematic than 95% of the rest of the planet (yeah, North Korea, Iran and a few others are worse). Friedcat is going to have to add data centers outside of China or engage in "creative" networking solutions to work around the inherent flaws in the ChinaTel/ChinaUnicom solutions. If he needs it, I'm sure there are a number of experienced forum members who can help advise on this topic, myself included.

canth
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 04:43:11 PM

I'll have to do my homework on the other stocks. Though part of me is inclined to just cold storage these coins now and sit on them for a bit... BTC/USD price is displaying interesting behaviour atm

Buying mining stocks is like investing in BTC/fiat speculation but earning dividends + valuation increases on top of that. It's like a layered multiple, when valued against fiat. I think it's why most of us are here - we believe in BTC and we want to share in the mining rewards in addition to rather than instead of BTC/fiat investments.

michaelGedi

Activity: 364

"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 05:20:15 PM

Buying mining stocks is like investing in BTC/fiat speculation but earning dividends + valuation increases on top of that. It's like a layered multiple, when valued against fiat. I think it's why most of us are here - we believe in BTC and we want to share in the mining rewards in addition to rather than instead of BTC/fiat investments.

yep I get that part, the main question now is how to maximise my BTC after making an irrational sale... I believe in AM but 4ish could have been the ceiling for the time being. I don't have the time or expertise to make a calculation on this so reaching out to the community can (and not definitely will) help just to get a new perspective while I kick myself a bit.

TRADE FOREX, STOCKS AND COMMODITIES without the paperwork with Bitcoin: https://1broker.com/m/r.php?i=3589

1BROKER has been around since 2012 and is going strong
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 06:13:28 PM

yep I get that part, the main question now is how to maximise my BTC after making an irrational sale... I believe in AM but 4ish could have been the ceiling for the time being. I don't have the time or expertise to make a calculation on this so reaching out to the community can (and not definitely will) help just to get a new perspective while I kick myself a bit.
If you're uncertain don't sell it all, keep a fraction. Also re-investing all your BTC into equity is risky, because it exposes you to having to short sell. Don't get infected by the rampage going on in other stocks. Do your due diligence. Holding BTC is still a good strategy if you don't have the time to make bitcoin related investment decisions, because BTC itself is a commodity which is bound to appreciate and it has no counter-party risk.

Spray and pray can work - but only if you don't miss the golden goose. The mining landscape becomes more crowded now since the run-up in bitcoin price (which makes the NRE costs worth it). Please know that most of these offerings are a strategy of these companies to outsource the investment risk - i.e. the NRE and initial production costs - while retaining a large fraction of the equity. If these companies don't make back their NRE and production costs in yield (given they don't fail), then you're looking at an overvaluation at IPO. In that case it is prudent to wait until the valuation has adjusted to fairly priced.

The situation for ASICMINER is slightly different than for newcomers. ASICMINER is already well capitalized and can use proceeds to grow the operation and business. It would require a massive VC funding to get any of the newcomers equally capitalized. Thus ASICMINER has less risk exposure. However, as stated elsewhere, the pricing for ASICMINER has less room for growth (if you're searching for the 10-fold investment type).

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Franktank

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 07:10:31 PM

If you're uncertain don't sell it all, keep a fraction. Also re-investing all your BTC into equity is risky, because it exposes you to having to short sell. Don't get infected by the rampage going on in other stocks. Do your due diligence. Holding BTC is still a good strategy if you don't have the time to make bitcoin related investment decisions, because BTC itself is a commodity which is bound to appreciate and it has no counter-party risk.

Spray and pray can work - but only if you don't miss the golden goose. The mining landscape becomes more crowded now since the run-up in bitcoin price (which makes the NRE costs worth it). Please know that most of these offerings are a strategy of these companies to outsource the investment risk - i.e. the NRE and initial production costs - while retaining a large fraction of the equity. If these companies don't make back their NRE and production costs in yield (given they don't fail), then you're looking at an overvaluation at IPO. In that case it is prudent to wait until the valuation has adjusted to fairly priced.

The situation for ASICMINER is slightly different than for newcomers. ASICMINER is already well capitalized and can use proceeds to grow the operation and business. It would require a massive VC funding to get any of the newcomers equally capitalized. Thus ASICMINER has less risk exposure. However, as stated elsewhere, the pricing for ASICMINER has less room for growth (if you're searching for the 10-fold investment type).

+1, well said.
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 09:59:51 PM

It's poll time!

Please review the questions below, and consider whether there are any you would like added to this poll.

If you would like to add a question, pm it to me.

Please try to be reasonable with any submitted questions, and understand that not all suggestions will be used.

QUESTIONS

Does ASICMINER/Bitfountain intend to create and official website and/or blog outside of the bitcointalk forums?

Does ASICMINER have plans to develop a marketing campaign to extend beyond word of mouth and business on the bitcointalk.org?

Originally, board members were going to receive a test unit of an ASIC mining device. Will you provide this or any other tangible items to board members in the future?

Could we have an official live hashrate meter from ASICMINER?

For more transparency, is it possible to share a wallet address for depositing income from ASICMINER hardware sales?

What are the plans regarding the Official ASICMINER Exchange? Have they been dropped?

Besides mining, hardware sales, and fees, are there any other potential sources of revenue?

madmax_ger

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 11:25:48 PM

great questions, nice work. But wasn't that quoted one already asked?
I remember FC said something like that they are working on this, and they would give access to that, then.

Am I wrong?
What's about this?

http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php - check it out!next difficulty + time leftcustomizable monthly (diff + USD/BTC) increasements device lead timeupdate: auto-compares device costs to BTC-buy profit ♥ 1btciBCKb59TbzNj5QzC2EXWDARxtJL1f
maco

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 11:53:59 PM

Feeling good about AM Tongue
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 04:55:20 AM

It's poll time!

Please review the questions below, and consider whether there are any you would like added to this poll.

Please try to be reasonable with any submitted questions, and understand that not all suggestions will be used.

QUESTIONS

Does ASICMINER/Bitfountain intend to create and official website and/or blog outside of the bitcointalk forums?

Does ASICMINER have plans to develop a marketing campaign to extend beyond word of mouth and business on the bitcointalk.org?

Originally, board members were going to receive a test unit of an ASIC mining device. Will you provide this or any other tangible items to board members in the future?

For more transparency, is it possible to share a wallet address for depositing income from ASICMINER hardware sales?

What are the plans regarding the Official ASICMINER Exchange? Have they been dropped?

Besides mining, hardware sales, and fees, are there any other potential sources of revenue?

Personally I'd much rather see a question in there about whether a sale of AM to a larger company is possible, and if so, under what conditions, and what would shareholders get out of it. There has been quite a bit of discussion about this on the boards and no two people seem to have the same take on it. Love to hear what friedcat had to say.
lucasjkr

Activity: 644

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 05:09:29 AM

It's poll time!

QUESTIONS

I would ask, believing that I heard that AM was aiming to maintain a steady 30% of the network hashrate, if that number is still achievable. Put another way, with BFL shipments obviously coming online, and other far more efficient offerings to come in the future from others (KnCMiner being an obvious contender, assuming, as always that they follow through) does AM believe that 30% is still achievable? If not, what number should we hope that AM will strive for? The target percentage of network hashrate having a huge impact on BTC flow, and therefore BTC dividends, and therefore the perceived value of AM, as an enterprise and on a per-sharew basis.

Or is that question too long?
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 05:18:06 AM

You're worried about BFL shipments coming online??  LOL that's like saying you're worried about USB asicminers coming online..

helixone

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 05:58:49 AM

It's poll time!

QUESTIONS

I would ask, believing that I heard that AM was aiming to maintain a steady 30% of the network hashrate, if that number is still achievable. Put another way, with BFL shipments obviously coming online, and other far more efficient offerings to come in the future from others (KnCMiner being an obvious contender, assuming, as always that they follow through) does AM believe that 30% is still achievable? If not, what number should we hope that AM will strive for? The target percentage of network hashrate having a huge impact on BTC flow, and therefore BTC dividends, and therefore the perceived value of AM, as an enterprise and on a per-sharew basis.

BFL is the least of anyone in the mining space's worries. (Well assuming you aren't actually waiting for a BFL hardware delivery.)

-helixone
Super T

Activity: 124

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 06:38:11 AM

It's poll time!

QUESTIONS

BFL is the least of anyone in the mining space's worries. (Well assuming you aren't actually waiting for a BFL hardware delivery.)

-helixone

BFL aside, it's a good question. Given the recent IPO's and other announcements around new mining ventures  (Labrat,  BTC Garden Hashfast etc), it would be very useful to re-check FC's view on the likely total network hashrate at the end of the year, and what proportion of this the current business plan predict's AM will still control.

Also - is there a danger that hardware sales/franchises will be hit if the hashrate rises too steeply and hardware intended to be sold is instead required to maintain network percentage...
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 06:47:01 AM

I know reading is hard, but posting here is not the way to get your question considered:

Emphasis is TAT's

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Super T

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 06:56:31 AM

Would it be too hard to simply trace this back from divi payments? Anyone tried?
Super T

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 07:03:34 AM

I know reading is hard, but posting here is not the way to get your question considered:

Emphasis is TAT's

I know patronising others is easy, but I don't see anything wrong with collaboratively discussing and refining potential questions here.  Particularly if the community can help answer quesions without the need to bother Friedcat.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 07:06:42 AM

Emphasis is TAT's

I know patronising others is easy, but I don't see anything wrong with collaboratively discussing and refining potential questions here.  Particularly if the community can help answer quesions without the need to bother Friedcat.

I'm not trying to stop discussion.  I'm just trying to make sure people know that they have to actually submit the question.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: « 1 ... 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 [536] 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: