Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:54:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 [817] 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916384 times)
spartan82

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 07:18:47 AM

these share prices... wow! i should have bought more last month Sad
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 11:05:35 AM

Yeah .... I though they would remain stable around 0.30 but I guess once a bit of buying started, the panic buying followed right after ...... let's see how it plays out now
Mabsark
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:34:52 PM

- As soon as his bullshit math is disproven, he returns with some new bullshit math to "prove" that asicminer will fail and ultimately waste our time.

None of you disproved anything. None of you even tried. You just started calling me a troll and telling people to put me on their ignore list. What exactly was that meant to disprove?

Face it, my argument was blatantly obvious and your arguments were quite clearly ridiculous. Shareholders were simply too blinded by greed to see the truth of that at the time. You are making the same mistake all over again.

Like I said then, no one knows when.  You didn't know then, and you don't know now.  Saying a share price will fall isn't enough to make money.  It's the ability to know when it will fall.

Of course I knew that competition would arise. To think that competition would not arise was simply pure delusion. To think that the competition would not reduce AM's profits was simply bad maths.

Look at when you were saying AM was overvalued, the price and profits increased significantly after your prediction.  You were advising to not invest in AM when you could have doubled your money. You were off by several months, which meant significant profits earned by a lot of us during that time frame. 

I wasn't off by months at all. I said AM wasn't worth the asking price and that by the end of year, you would realise that. So what if the price temporarily increased and you could have made money speculating? That's completely irrelevant. I'm talking about what the shares were worth. Are you claiming that AM was actually worth 5 BTC per share? AM has paid out around 0.6 BTC per share in divs and that was with it's massive network share and sales monopoly. Such profits will not be seen again. Anyone who bought at 5 BTC, clearly got ripped off.

Anyone can go and check those comments for themselves and they'll see how intellectually dishonest you are being. By refusing to admit you were wrong, you just make yourself look silly.
velacreations

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:19:40 PM

None of you disproved anything. None of you even tried.
No one needs to.  Time does it for us.

So what if the price temporarily increased and you could have made money speculating? That's completely irrelevant. I'm talking about what the shares were worth.
after your comments, shares price nearly doubled.  call it speculative investing, but doubling your value is still doubling your value.  And you were recommending people to sell.  It was several months after your comments that values dropped back to the level they were when you made those comments.  That was a lot of missed profits.

By refusing to admit you were wrong, you just make yourself look silly.
acting like you were right when you missed one of the greatest stock rises in BTC history makes you look silly.  Insisting that your math makes you right when it has been wrong at least 3 major times this year makes you look silly, too.

Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:22:12 PM

Could you just stop feeding the trolls, please?

Thank you.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:03:42 AM

Could you just stop feeding the trolls, please?

Thank you.

Agreed. I've got the troll on ignore but I still get to read his nonsense. Not funny.
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 06:56:49 AM

Yeah .... I though they would remain stable around 0.30 but I guess once a bit of buying started, the panic buying followed right after ...... let's see how it plays out now
I think some people just try to pump and dump, taking advantage of the out-coming tape-out. Even the tape-out is successful (most likely someone has already got some insider news about the progress), the current price is still way over-priced in my opinion.
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 07:42:16 AM

I think some people just try to pump and dump, taking advantage of the out-coming tape-out. Even the tape-out is successful (most likely someone has already got some insider news about the progress), the current price is still way over-priced in my opinion.

No it isn't. The value of a stock is based on all future dividends, discounted by risk and some penalty for future returns being worth less than money today.

What is going on in the next two months for asicminer is totally irrelevant.
Mabsark
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 07:58:09 AM

No it isn't. The value of a stock is based on all future dividends, discounted by risk and some penalty for future returns being worth less than money today.

AM has paid out about 0.6 BTC in divs and that was basically without competition for most of the time. This time around is not going to be as profitable.

So, show us the maths which leads you to think that AM is not currently overpriced.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:00:52 AM

Just a reminder, there is an ASICMINER speculation thread specifically for all the share price chat stuff .....

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=235763.0

Then we don't have to listen here to people bickering about whether shares are over-valued Smiley
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:12:49 AM

I agree with you way to calculate the value of the stock, but I don't think AM has any chance to generate dividends of 0.6 BTC in the future. Another 0.6 BTC means AM has to generate more than 240K BTC in the future. Considering there're only 9M bitcois left, it means AM has to get more than 2.6% of the rest BTC. As a mining dominated company, that almost means AM has to keep 2.6% of the network hashing rate all the time (costs have been completely ignored here), not matter how fast the whole network hashing rate increases.

You may say, there're other revenue besides the mining/selling chips/franchising, such as immerse cooling. Those revenues, however, are in fiats and considering the appreciation of BTC in the future, revenue in fiats can be safely ignored in my opinion.

Finally, even AM achieves the objective, what's the point to spend 0.6 BTC and wait for the 0.6 BTC be returned in dividend in the following years?
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:13:53 AM

Just a reminder, there is an ASICMINER speculation thread specifically for all the share price chat stuff .....

Then we don't have to listen here to people bickering about whether shares are over-valued Smiley
Speculation is about the price of the stock, and we are talking about the value of this stock. That's completely different.

For example, by speculation, now may be a good chance to buy AM shares cause someone may keep pumping the price until the tape-out result is out and you could earn considerable BTC by join the pump and dump. When we consider the value of the AM share, however, the current price is already above its value in my opinion and we should not consider it a good investment any more.
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:39:57 AM

Speculation is about the price of the stock, and we are talking about the value of this stock. That's completely different.

For example, by speculation, now may be a good chance to buy AM shares cause someone may keep pumping the price until the tape-out result is out and you could earn considerable BTC by join the pump and dump. When we consider the value of the AM share, however, the current price is already above its value in my opinion and we should not consider it a good investment any more.
Thanks for your opinion.

I find it easy to believe am will be able to pump out another 0.6 or more in dividends in the future.
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:40:17 AM

Obviously wrong: what happens during the next two months directly affects the future dividends, so it's far from irrelevant.

Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:44:41 AM

Another 0.6 BTC means AM has to generate more than 240K BTC in the future.
This looks like a fallacy to me.
It would be true if AM's only gains would be from mining, but they will come from selling to other users instead, so there's no hard limit on how can they earn.

Of course the users would be mining themselves with their chips, and your post would imply they won't break even... well, yes, might be true. Still, they might buy anyway, like they did so far so often.

BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:49:40 AM

Thanks for your opinion.

I find it easy to believe am will be able to pump out another 0.6 or more in dividends in the future.
Yes, it is possible but before buying the share I have already 0.6 BTC in my hand and I don't need to believe anything. Therefore, if I buy AM shares now, either I know someone will pump it to higher price in short time, or I believe the long term dividend will be way above 0.6 BTC. Frankly, I think the possibility of the former is much larger than the latter, so I think most people buying now are based on speculation rather than investment.

I agree with empoweoqwj that this thread is not the best place to speculate the price of AM in near future. I just warn those who want to invest (not speculate) on AM that now may be not the best time due to the pumping.
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:54:33 AM

It would be true if AM's only gains would be from mining, but they will come from selling to other users instead, so there's no hard limit on how can they earn.

Of course the users would be mining themselves with their chips, and your post would imply they won't break even... well, yes, might be true. Still, they might buy anyway, like they did so far so often.

Yes, most buyers are too optimistic in buying hardware but we cannot expect them never do calculation before buying. More and more buyers have learnt the lessons and becomes more realistic in calculating mining income. Therefore, AM can earn more than what their chips can mine, but not too much. If they are lucky, they may even double the BTC by selling due to the over-optimism of buyers , but it is still proportional to the number of BTC left (as long as tx fees can be ignored). Moreover, I've ignored the cost in my computing and AM will not ignore them in dividend distributing.
Nullrisk

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:35:56 AM

Yes, most buyers are too optimistic in buying hardware but we cannot expect them never do calculation before buying. More and more buyers have learnt the lessons and becomes more realistic in calculating mining income. Therefore, AM can earn more than what their chips can mine, but not too much. If they are lucky, they may even double the BTC by selling due to the over-optimism of buyers , but it is still proportional to the number of BTC left (as long as tx fees can be ignored). Moreover, I've ignored the cost in my computing and AM will not ignore them in dividend distributing.

This makes sense, but you may be leaving out two relevant (ASIC Mining gear) market segments:
1) New Bitcoin investors that prefer to mine their coins instead of buying them (there are different reasons for this that have been discussed somewhere else)
2) "Corporate Miners" that need to stay on top of the game

Also, you should be very cautious when declaring the whole mining industry "not profitable at current difficulty levels" - as long as Bitcoin prices keep moving they have, it will be extremely difficult to prove this assertion. Looking at ROI in BTC alone can be an extremely misleading simplification.
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:47:51 AM

This makes sense, but you may be leaving out two relevant (ASIC Mining gear) market segments:
1) New Bitcoin investors that prefer to mine their coins instead of buying them (there are different reasons for this that have been discussed somewhere else)

Also, you should be very cautious when declaring the whole mining industry "not profitable at current difficulty levels" - as long as Bitcoin prices keep moving they have, it will be extremely difficult to prove this assertion. Looking at ROI in BTC alone can be an extremely misleading simplification.
Yes, I agree with the two group of buyers you mentioned, but I don't think they will pay the device not proportional to the potential gain. They may pay twice or even more as the future mining income but not constant price (in btc) no matter how much btc remain.

For your last paragraph, I never said the mining industry is not profitable at current difficulty levels and ROI in fiat does not matter in my previous analysis at all. I was trying to prove the future dividend of AM may not be way above 0.6 BTC. However, it does not exclude the possibility that in the future, 0.0001 BTC (maybe equal to $1K that time) per week as dividend is a huge reward. Nonetheless, I can enjoy the same benefit by holding my 0.6 BTC. Smiley
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:03:18 PM

I somewhat agree with the above paragraph, but the following one seems just wrong: since you pay the device in BTC, you have to consider only the BTC itself: exchange rate with other currency is totally irrelevant, since you had anyway the option of "just keeping your BTC" and having them appreciate exactly the same.

I'm quite tired of having to explain this time and again, it's so obvious but people keep getting it wrong. Will they ever learn?

Pages: « 1 ... 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 [817] 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: