Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:56:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GekkoScience BM1384 Project Development Discussion  (Read 146520 times)
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 12:01:22 PM

My winter heat Dragon pulled about a 3.4B share once, but the diff was already a few times that. I think I've marked three shares over 1B so far but no blocks. A friend of mine hit a block on an approximately solo pool (it was his own pool and he was 95% of the hashrate, I was the rest) end of 2013, which was pretty cool.

Compac PCBs have been shipped (earlier than expected) and I'll probably have them in hand tomorrow. We still have no word on the pick-and-place but as soon as I'm done with the big PSU order I'm grinding on I'll be trying to get a head start on Compac assembly. I need to check on heatsink delivery date and get a parts order sorted.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:12:46 PM

I don't think I've ever hit a block on Bitcoin, but I did hit 4 fairly early on with my Gridseed 80s. Even 20/20 hindsight says "no guarentee I'd have done that solo mining" though, but it WOULD have been nice.

9-)

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
PlanetCrypto

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 03:15:47 PM

Innosilicon doesn't seem inclined to go into the farming business.
There is still hope!

Not picking on you, but the key word and operative phrase in your statement is "seems".

There is no evidence to indicate that Innosilicon is or is not operating a farm.
Innosilicon has in the past manufactured complete miners and I imagine there is some "burn in" testing on those machines.
How long is that "burn in"?
A day, a week, a month, . . . .

And even if it's only a day at Innosilicon, when their customer (who intends to re-sell them) gets the machines, how long do they "burn in" test them before selling them as "new".

Based on TRS's info, I queried Innosilicon on the availability of 14nm hash chips which per their post alluded to indicate they had taped out a production run.
Their response indicated:
1) they had taped out a test chip run (unspecified quantity),
2) they were unwilling to sell 100-1,000 chips (test or otherwise),
3) they were soliciting "large" pre-ordrers, and
4) were interested in designing/building/supplying a custom complete miner.

Needless to say, PlanetCrypto as a company isn't interested in pre-buying vaporware chips (due to time/value of money calcs where the time parameter may approach infinity) and the belief (which has a basis in fact) that Gekkoscience would design and produce a superior hash board.

Added to this, if we purchase hash boards from GS versus a company in the Pacific Rim our shipping costs are significantly curtailed, interfacing with American customs is obviated, and GS has a history of supporting what they sell.

So bottom line, if/when Innosilicon has 14nm chips for sale, we would consider buying a small quantity (100 or less), forwarding them or drop shipping them to GS if they were interested in designing a hash board which they may or may not decide to put into production for general sales to the community.

If the GS hash board using the Innosilicon chip is a profitable unit, we would then purchase a "large" quantity of chips and contract with GS to be our vendor of choice board supplier.

Till such time as all that comes to fruition, our focus is to continue plodding forward with a community designed and owned 14nm hash chip.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 03:40:39 PM

GekkoScience is interested in evaluating sample chips from Innosilicon, Bitmain, Avalon, whoever makes a decent chip to see how they'd behave in our preferred topology, and then design a miner around which one we thought was best (based on stability, efficiency, price and the likelihood of actually receiving chips in bulk).

We also wouldn't "burn in" boards for a month, keep entire batches running on our own shelves or sell dusty gear as "new". Just throwing that out there.

The best thing, which I'd say isn't terribly likely to come to fruition in this generation but I'd really like to see happen, is the community chip. Everything we've done in the bitcoin world has been aimed at helping home and small operations get closer to even stage with big farms. We started out by selling server PSUs to individuals so folks could get efficient and reliable power without having to lean on retail-priced ATX gear that was either expensive or failure-prone. We looked at trying to design a miner over a year ago but didn't have the resources. We still don't really have the resources but screw it, it needs to be done. A community-minded enterprise building affordable, easy-to-work-with chips which are competetive with the big players in the industry, and making them available to small lightweight innovative shops to build and sell for the community, is something I think we really need. Giving power back to the people will only go so far because the guys with money and power become increasingly focused on maintaining and increasing their money and power (and everyone is willing to bend over backward to do them favors, oddly enough) but it's a thing worth doing nonetheless. We'll be chipping in what resources we can for the chip dev enterprise, and in the meantime looking for other chip sources to try and build you guys the good stuff.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872
Merit: 1010

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 05:06:54 PM

Now, imagine if PlanetCrypto did a chip you can talk to with I2C (amazing if it had a DIP version), sidehack a "standard" board that could be used, say, as an RPi extension with an stackable design, then you could build a stack of chips and call it a miner Wink Wink Wink

daddyfatsax

Activity: 857
Merit: 1000

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 06:06:58 PM

I like what I am hearing from sidehack and PlanetCrypto. Looking forward to the big boards. Keep up the good work guys.
ZenFr
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1046

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:32:39 PM

Yes, yes, very goods ideas and projects...

... but for the moment, we will be patient and the bitcoin mining is harder every day :-).
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:38:24 PM

Well to be honest, not much good work can get done on my end unless I have some chips to work with. I'm hoping we can either get in good with Bitmain or Avalon (for next-gen stuff if any of them would talk to me) or PC can work some sample magic with InnoSilicon. If I had a month in the clear and a couple thousand bucks, I could probably have a working model 18-chip TypeZero board with BM1384 on it but by the time we got to manufacture that chip'd be a year old and top-clock power consumption about twice what everyone else is selling.

So, if anyone has any sort of "in" with one of the current chip makers (that don't make big hot BGA things, so no KFC or Spondoolies or SFARDS) and could maybe sneak me some samples, even if it's classified and I can't talk about it, it'd still be something to work with. And if anyone can help PlanetCrypto get a chip dev enterprise ironed out and operating, please do that also. This community needs to cycle back around to folks kickin' butts and doing awesome stuff instead of suckling off the teat of a few greedy enterprises.

valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 11:39:56 AM

So you will not make the S1 upgrade sidehack ?

Sad to ear. Did you use all the bm1384 that you had ?

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 01:06:50 PM

I'll at least get as far as a working model board based around BM1384. Between MacEntyre and myself we were only able to get 2000 chips, and probably 1800 of them will be turned into Compacs so I'll have the rest to play with. Retooling a proven working BM1384 board for a different chip would be maybe 20% of the electronics work of designing a whole board, so I'd like to go ahead and finish it and then hope we get access to a new chip I can shoehorn in. Probably driver code would take longer than altering the board itself.

RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:22:10 PM

I have had this idea, may be a good idea, may be a terrible idea, may not be possible?  It's driven by the chip supply situation and an extension of philipma1957 desire for a single module S5+, and came to me in the shower this Morning.  Smiley

So I am assuming that there are a lot of similarities with driving all of the BM range of ASIC's? So how about a version of the USB board that will plug up to and drive an S1, S3, S5, S5+ S7 Hash Board?

Would of course need a separate PSU and you would have to organise mounting and cooling. It may be at some point that S5+ could be broken up into unit's or hash Boards? Even a single board is 860GH. If that was to happen the problem would be what to use as a controller? Also people may have odd S1, S3, S5 Hash Boards and it might be nice to have a way of controlling them?

So not sure that it makes entire sense but thought I would share it in case it does have some merit or triggers any other thoughts?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:29:18 PM

So what you're saying is a USB adapter to drive a single blade from one AntMiner or another?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671128.0

PlanetCrypto

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:35:37 PM

I'll at least get as far as a working model board based around BM1384. Between MacEntyre and myself we were only able to get 2000 chips, and probably 1800 of them will be turned into Compacs so I'll have the rest to play with. Retooling a proven working BM1384 board for a different chip would be maybe 20% of the electronics work of designing a whole board, so I'd like to go ahead and finish it and then hope we get access to a new chip I can shoehorn in. Probably driver code would take longer than altering the board itself.

Best case scenario assuming everything goes according to plan, the earliest we could have a chip for prototyping is Jan 2016.

I kinda' think of the chip design project as an insurance policy.
I'm really hoping that one of the current chip manufacturers relents/reconsiders the embargo and starts selling their state-of-the-art chips and not their old tired technology.

IMHO, the release of used Bitmain's S5+'s with a 90 day warranty is a withered "olive branch".
It's a "day late and a dollar short" as it will ROI just about the time the block reward gets chopped in half (and likely the max block size goes to 20M up from 1M).
And then become a worthless piece of H/W.

It also pisses me off that while we were mining with .51J/GH/s units (or worse) Bitmain and other "large" Bitmain clients were mining with .445J/GH/s stock.
We have been predominantly a Bitmain shop since the S1 release days and one would think that the S5+'s would have offered to a loyal customer. They weren't.
Am feeling like we got stabbed in the back with a Claymore.

It's probably a good thing for the "big 4" they're not American companies else they'd be subject to Rico statutes.

Growl!

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:41:02 PM

So what you're saying is a USB adapter to drive a single blade from one AntMiner or another?

There's too much stuff on this Forum, for someone who is new.  Smiley

Sorry to have troubled you.

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:43:34 PM

That thread was about three down from the top when I looked for it. I haven't actually read almost all of it though, so I'm not really sure where they are. I think making something USB to drive an S5 controller shouldn't be too difficult hardware-wise but I'm not sure about the software.

PlanetCrypto - have you talked to Bitmain, Avalon or LK at all?

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 12:53:18 AM

I've got the next two days or so to dedicate entirely to dev, before I have to get back around to manufacturing. The last two weeks were put on 750W board and cable assembly, but that order's done. Essential Compac parts shouldn't be all amassed until Thursday or Friday so I have a bit of time. I'll probably spend it all on buck design, since we have three projects all requiring buck design work and there's gonna be some overlap between at least two of them. With reports of successful S5 undervolting and some things happening on our end, looks like project Chuckwagon is back on. Project Aardwolf (the USB hub) needs to get kicked back into gear, and I need to finish ironing out power systems for the TypeZero boards. For the next month I'm going to try to spend all my time not required for Compac assembly focused primarly on TypeZero dev. I want to have a complete working 18-chip board, and a complete working 30-chip built around the rack-standard formfactor I also need to codify. Compac profit margins (once there are some) will go a long way in funding this stuff, and hopefully by the time I have working models we or PlanetCrypto have made some headway finding a new chip to work with.

HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 05:12:25 AM

There's too much stuff on this Forum, for someone who is new.  Smiley

Sorry to have troubled you.

Jabber has a prototype board where you would be able to connect up to 8 devices per card.

He is quite busy, he didn't produce more then one board as we speak. (prototype)
buysolar

Activity: 125
Merit: 12

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 06:22:10 AM

Waiting patiently for the day when I can get upgrade kits for all my S1's. Hopefully it will be by christmas of this year. fingers are crossed.
elrippo
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 10:26:52 AM

Sorry to say, but i think this project is dead..... Huh
You might want to read this from BITMAIN

For Advertisement. PM me to discuss.
jekecoin

Activity: 427

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 10:53:18 AM

Sorry to say, but i think this project is dead..... Huh
You might want to read this from BITMAIN
Not yet, every one know the new chips from the start of this project.

Hard obsoleto                    VPS: Digitalocean                     Cloudmining: Cex.io · EOBOT                    Gambling: Primedice
Pages: « 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: