Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:32:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 143 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [PPC] PPCoin Released! - First Long-Term Energy-Efficient Crypto-Currency  (Read 684445 times)
luffy

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 09:20:12 PM

Unfortunately currently we are lacking in resource to fully support the qt gui version. So for now only daemon is officially built. Some of our users have attempted to build their own qt gui with some success.

Thanks,

I've built the qt and it works fine.
mind to share the details plz?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 04:04:49 AM

The whole "proof of stake" idea could have profound effects on exchanges too--0% trading fees, as they would make money from your coins just sitting in their account Smiley

On that note, would anyone be interested if I made an exchange that used text-based clients instead of a website? I would do it that way for two reasons:
1.) Security (no web fronted that can be abused, I find server-side code is much easier to secure, and I would do manual payouts to increase security perhaps...)
2.) Ease of creation (I find that making a program like that is much more simple than making a website).

It would be secure as there isn't a web front-end to attack, and perhaps I would even do payouts manually to increase security (aka server doesn't even have a link to the wallet, instead works on a store of maybe 10,000 addresses for each currency (Litecoins, Bitcoins, PPCoins)). Or is this just a crazy idea?

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 06:27:42 AM

The whole "proof of stake" idea could have profound effects on exchanges too--0% trading fees, as they would make money from your coins just sitting in their account Smiley

On that note, would anyone be interested if I made an exchange that used text-based clients instead of a website? I would do it that way for two reasons:
1.) Security (no web fronted that can be abused, I find server-side code is much easier to secure, and I would do manual payouts to increase security perhaps...)
2.) Ease of creation (I find that making a program like that is much more simple than making a website).

It would be secure as there isn't a web front-end to attack, and perhaps I would even do payouts manually to increase security (aka server doesn't even have a link to the wallet, instead works on a store of maybe 10,000 addresses for each currency (Litecoins, Bitcoins, PPCoins)). Or is this just a crazy idea?

I'm not sure what you mean by text based. You mean command line?

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 09:06:09 AM

Web site is no different from any other client-server application. In fact, you can just implement a certain RPC API on a server (i.e. JSON-RPC or XML-RPC), and client software (HTML+JS) will be solely responsible for user interface. But with this design one can implement any other user interface, including command-line one.

So there is no difference.

Chromia: a better dapp platform
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 11:55:27 AM

Web site is no different from any other client-server application. In fact, you can just implement a certain RPC API on a server (i.e. JSON-RPC or XML-RPC), and client software (HTML+JS) will be solely responsible for user interface. But with this design one can implement any other user interface, including command-line one.

The reason I was looking at a text-based (or console-based) application was to avoid the possibility of things such as mySQL injections (which I know are preventable) and similar attacks. Having an application that has certain mySQL commands hard-coded into it instead of leaving them open to the internet or based on the parsing of a URL seemed a safer route, but perhaps I am wrong.

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
TheSeven

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 12:09:34 PM

The reason I was looking at a text-based (or console-based) application was to avoid the possibility of things such as mySQL injections (which I know are preventable) and similar attacks. Having an application that has certain mySQL commands hard-coded into it instead of leaving them open to the internet or based on the parsing of a URL seemed a safer route, but perhaps I am wrong.

No offense, but you're completely wrong. A web client is really no different from a command line one, especially as far as safe processing of user-generated data is concerned. Who cares whether the user typed the SQL injection into a web browser or into the command line? The effect is the same.
Safe validation of each and every bit of client-generated data (whether browser or command line client) that gets processed by the server is absolutely crucial. Just to name the two most obvious things: Watch out for negative numbers and prevent SQL injections by using parameterized prepared statements.
I used such a HTML+JS client + JSONRPC server approach like it was detailed above in MPBM and Bitcoin WebUI for a reason. It's easy to implement on the server side, has less possible attack vectors and allows for greatest flexibility. Bitcoin badly suffers from not having decoupled bitcoin-qt from bitcoind from the very beginning, and I'm sure it won't be long until they finally split that out, even though it will be a fair bit of work.

My tip jar: 13kwqR7B4WcSAJCYJH1eXQcxG5vVUwKAqY
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 01:43:51 PM

Maybe instead of thinking of building a server and client from scratch you could take a look at open transactions? Work on the client end of that, it has a test client right now just for the ability to test the various functionalities, but could sure do with spiffing up to be useful to normal people...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 03:50:16 PM

As a little fun project for myself I had a go at creating a windows interface for the PPCoin wallet... here is what I came up with...

http://ppcointalk.org/index.php?q=node/12

Works on a win 7 x64 OS... please let me know if u get it running on something else ... very early days so please bear with me.

Also i feel I should say this is my first public program i produced!! so go easy on the slating of code Tongue  but all comments welcome

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1205

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2012, 12:19:07 AM

I've looked around and I just want to clear up one idea about this coin:

If I have more coins, am I more likely to mine coins?

Like if I have 2000 coins and 1.5GH/s, am I more likely to mine a coin than someone who has 1000 coins and 1.5GH/s? And less than someone with 10000 coins and 1.5GH/s?

Edit: that is in 3 weeks huh?

No. What you describe is something close to cunicula's proposal (we have thought about a similar variant during our early design phase last year). In our design proof-of-work and proof-of-stake is separate and do not mix with each other. You have the same chance of mining proof-of-work blocks as the other miner with 1.5GH/s. But with 2000 coins you would have better chance of minting a proof-of-stake block than the other minter with 1000 coins, and less chance than another minter with 10000 coins.
juggalodarkclow
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 12:41:08 AM

I let my 2 5830's mine PPC for over 8 hours and there's nothing in my wallet. This seems like a long time to go without getting any reward. Suggestions?

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 01:52:58 AM

I let my 2 5830's mine PPC for over 8 hours and there's nothing in my wallet. This seems like a long time to go without getting any reward. Suggestions?

please post the output of your "ppcoind getinfo" command

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
juggalodarkclow
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 02:01:00 AM

I haven't upgraded to 0.2.0 yet but....

EDIT: resized pic

Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1205

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2012, 02:44:43 AM

This is quite normal unless you see something about block being rejected in your miner. If you don't have the patience to wait you can consider joining pool. Give it one more day see if luck is on your side.
nave
Donator

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 06:16:00 AM

This is quite normal unless you see something about block being rejected in your miner. If you don't have the patience to wait you can consider joining pool. Give it one more day see if luck is on your side.

Using 2x 5830's (assuming about 600 MH/s) your average time to solve a block at the current difficulty is about 6.5 hours. So far you're just a little unlucky. Like Sunny said, I'd give it more time, there's a lot more variance involved with solo mining than there is in pooled mining generally.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 07:43:23 AM

Any luck so far?

"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2012, 10:31:09 AM

Yeah been mining over 24 hours 600-700Mhash no blocks found Sad...

Has the blockchain been moved to the testnet environment?? or are there any other settings that have been tweaked?

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 10:36:22 AM
Last edit: September 02, 2012, 10:47:34 AM by Jutarul

Has the blockchain been moved to the testnet environment?? or are there any other settings that have been tweaked?

send me your address. I'll transfer some to you.

You should check your miner. Are you receiving work from the ppcoin client?
Also you can check for any movements on your wallet with
./ppcoind listtransactions

At current difficulty you should have found 4 blocks by now.

nave
Donator

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 12:00:33 PM

send me your address. I'll transfer some to you.

You should check your miner. Are you receiving work from the ppcoin client?
Also you can check for any movements on your wallet with
./ppcoind listtransactions

At current difficulty you should have found 4 blocks by now.

Over 24 hours at that rate is pretty bad luck, but not unheard of. As long as you followed all the steps Sunny outlined in the 0.2.0 release thread and your getinfo shows you have connections and the current amount of blocks (3267 as of this post) then you should be ok. I've found several blocks after updating to 0.2.0 so I don't believe there is any problem.

If you send me your address I'll send you some coins as well. Hope your luck improves.
juggalodarkclow
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 02:23:14 PM

Any luck so far?
upgraded to 0.2.0, let it run for another 9 hours so 17 hrs total and still no luck Sad

server
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1002

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 03:22:54 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2012, 08:31:52 AM by server

upgraded to 0.2.0, let it run for another 9 hours so 17 hrs total and still no luck Sad

I don't know if this helps, but their is something strange with your internet connection, it loops and never reaches your ip

[edit]
removed traceroute for privacy
[/edit]

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 143 »
  Print  

Jump to: