Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:10:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 ... 328 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | Decentralize Everything (decentralized blockexplorer coming)  (Read 790353 times)
georgem (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2016, 03:45:00 PM

Thoughts on beginning a Big Data Methodology conversation on BTCT in a separate topic?

We have one on the SPR forum here: http://spreadcointalk.org/index.php?topic=749.0 , but it has rather grim amounts of traffic at the moment. Obviously, we want to get people to post in spreadcointalk more, but we are still a growing community and it may be better for productive discussion if we open the conversation up to a wider pool of people with new thoughts and ideas. I can always add important & valuable posts from here to the spreadcoin forum if some people want to explicitly contribute there.

Coins, I was hoping you might be able to direct me to a spot to open this conversation up on bitcointalk / open it up yourself in the appropriate spot, if this is thought to be a good idea. I'm woefully unfamiliar with the borderlands of BTCT!

I would not separate any core "fields of interest" from the main spreadcoin thread here. But that's just my opinion.

Hey, rhinomonkey, what timezone are you in anyway?

I'm located in switzerland. It's 16:44 CET

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rhinomonkey

Activity: 646
Merit: 501

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 07:17:29 PM

Thoughts on beginning a Big Data Methodology conversation on BTCT in a separate topic?

We have one on the SPR forum here: http://spreadcointalk.org/index.php?topic=749.0 , but it has rather grim amounts of traffic at the moment. Obviously, we want to get people to post in spreadcointalk more, but we are still a growing community and it may be better for productive discussion if we open the conversation up to a wider pool of people with new thoughts and ideas. I can always add important & valuable posts from here to the spreadcoin forum if some people want to explicitly contribute there.

Coins, I was hoping you might be able to direct me to a spot to open this conversation up on bitcointalk / open it up yourself in the appropriate spot, if this is thought to be a good idea. I'm woefully unfamiliar with the borderlands of BTCT!

I would not separate any core "fields of interest" from the main spreadcoin thread here. But that's just my opinion.

Hey, rhinomonkey, what timezone are you in anyway?

I'm located in switzerland. It's 16:44 CET

Fair enough, I will only shill things about these discussions in this thread and Spreadcointalk..

I am on Eastern Time Zone in the U.S. - I believe six hours behind CET?

georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2016, 07:19:54 PM

Bitcoin blocks have been pretty full recently

Hey coins101,

I think you are the best suited to answer this guy's question:

http://spreadcointalk.org/index.php?topic=749.msg3993#msg3993

Let's get the big data discussion going.

There is so much you guys could do while I concentrate on coding.

The more activity I see in the forum, the more it motivates me to spend those extra hours coding.

rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 07:24:31 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2016, 07:48:35 PM by rhinomonkey

For those who have not seen my recent posts in the SPR forums, I have and will continue to try to facilitate conversation on the "Big Data" portion of this project in Spreadcoin talk and here in this particular forum.

A link to that area of research can be found here: http://spreadcointalk.org/index.php?board=23.0

Separately, we have our first real beginnings of conversation under the "Big Data Methodology: Discussion of White Paper & More" Thread in the SPR forums. Here is the post in it's entirety:

Edit: it looks like Georgem just mentioned it above

Quote from: Daft Like Jack
Quote from: rhinomonkey
Sup Folks,

After having a few conversations last night I began to realize that trying to facilitate a conversation about "big data methodology" may be easier if it were known precisely what that is. It is a rather vague combination of two buzzwords to people who don't know specifically what it means. So I thought I would break it down into some smaller questions (though not exhaustive) that we would like to focus on. I will definitely make different subtopics with these specific questions later on but I figured getting started with a few here would not hurt.

"Big data methodology" as I understand it, involves a few separate facets that need to be explored. These questions have been discussed to some degree by Georgem and Coins101. But to make this more accessible I have enumerated a few questions below.

What information do we gather?

What data is valuable to end users?

How do we ensure the accuracy of said data collection?

And most importantly: How do we gather information in a way that respects privacy and the principles of decentralization?

More on this later. Please feel free to add some questions that are important to this topic that I have not listed.

One question that I have is centered around the viability of collecting "Big Data" from bitcoin transactions.  Since bitcoin is a digital currency it can be spent from any location to purchase goods at any other location.  Thus how does knowing the location of the user bring any added value?  Brick and mortar establishments cannot then cater to the goods that an individual is purchasing online, because the very nature of doing business online cuts out the middlemen.  Targeted advertising in this vein does not seem to make sense.  

Perhaps meta advertising, such as campaigns for a specific region might make sense, but the idea that individual store locations are going to greatly benefit from the data sounds dubious.  People using bitcoin as a mode of payments are leaps and bounds ahead of the typical grocery/retail goods shopper and thus it might not be a great inference to assume they are doing primarily online shopping, which in turn means that the marketing data would need to be utilized in an online space and not by companies expecting paying customers to walk into their store.

If these assumptions and inferences have any merit it would seem that the data we can collect would be most useful to companies that have large online presence and advertising money to spend on internet campaigns.  I am curious what you think about the more targeted approach coins mentioned in a previous post.

rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 07:38:18 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2016, 07:53:46 PM by rhinomonkey

The more activity I see in the forum, the more it motivates me to spend those extra hours coding.

Additionally, I will soon be looking to take over the old Spreadcoin reddit. Probably tonight or this weekend. I will make a new account on reddit, contact the old mod, and then hopefully gain moderator status, myself. If this is not the case, I will begin working on a new Spreadcoin reddit. I think reddit is a great place to have a community, and even if it is not used that frequently by everyone, having it updated will provide more "legitimacy" to the project

That said, I have few skills that would help in making the reddit look fancy. If anyone will want to work on making it look pretty after I make it & populate it, that would be great!

I will post the link to the new reddit when it is up (or just tell you about my acquisition of the old one).  Grin

In fact, tonight I will make a subtopic under community projects starting a list of things I think that we as a community can start working on while Georgem works on SN's. Keep an eye out, but I will surely post the link here tonight.  

georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2016, 08:16:38 PM

Additionally, I will soon be looking to take over the old Spreadcoin reddit. Probably tonight or this weekend. I will make a new account on reddit, contact the old mod, and then hopefully gain moderator status, myself. If this is not the case, I will begin working on a new Spreadcoin reddit. I think reddit is a great place to have a community, and even if it is not used that frequently by everyone, having it updated will provide more "legitimacy" to the project

That said, I have few skills that would help in making the reddit look fancy. If anyone will want to work on making it look pretty after I make it & populate it, that would be great!

I will post the link to the new reddit when it is up (or just tell you about my acquisition of the old one).  Grin

In fact, tonight I will make a subtopic under community projects starting a list of things I think that we as a community can start working on while Georgem works on SN's. Keep an eye out, but I will surely post the link here tonight.  

Looking forward to the new reddit account!  Cool

coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 10:16:15 PM

Bitcoin blocks have been pretty full recently

Hey coins101,

I think you are the best suited to answer this guy's question:

http://spreadcointalk.org/index.php?topic=749.msg3993#msg3993

Let's get the big data discussion going.

One question that I have is centered around the viability of collecting "Big Data" from bitcoin transactions.  Since bitcoin is a digital currency it can be spent from any location to purchase goods at any other location.  Thus how does knowing the location of the user bring any added value?

It's a good question.

First, you need to know how consumers, consume payment systems. To do that, all you have to do is look at how many mobile Bitcoin wallets there are.

Second, you need to know how consumers, consume communications systems. To do that, all you have to do is look at how many smartphones there are.

Mobile is by far the most popular everything.

Lastly, you need to know what Big Data is: exponentially growing user generated data. Every 10 minutes, the bitcoin blockchain is different, and bigger than it was.

So, combine these things. Users transacting using mobile payments systems, powered by smartphones and generating lots of data.

People out in areas where there are lots of shops makes big bitcoin data valuable to a whole host of commercial organisations. None of them particularly caring about who you are. They can get all the information about you that they need from the types of places you shop, or areas you spend a lot of money and the time of day you do stuff.  

You can get tons of useful information from data aggregation - add up everything and divide by users, by location, by time, etc.

So, our big bitcoin data market will generate heat maps of purchasing activity.  

People sitting at home buying stuff on Overstock. Meh.  What it might show is pockets of urban sprawl and what time of day or week people shop online. Apart from that. It's not very attractive.

Mobile data. That's where the action is. Best thing is that its hard to get if you're a small business, so we'll change that and make it easy.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 10:22:02 PM

If these assumptions and inferences have any merit it would seem that the data we can collect would be most useful to companies that have large online presence and advertising money to spend on internet campaigns.

Hmm. Interesting.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 10:27:57 PM

rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 02:30:02 AM

Drumroll please!

--------------------

Here is our new reddit!! https://www.reddit.com/r/SpreadcoinOfficial/

It is pretty bare, but it shall be our new home there. Please feel free to post things that might improve it's decor. I can subsequently change it. It would be really cool to get a custom theme / interface so if anyone has some coding experience in that regard, you can make the new reddit look more awesome!

I was unable to get in touch with the previous reddit moderator, so I went ahead and made this one bc I'm impatient. If I get in touch with the previous moderator, maybe I will delete one of them. Or maybe I can make the previous one a memorial to Mr. Spread (the Hamster).

Also, I have created a small list of tasks that can be started by members of the community here: http://spreadcointalk.org/index.php?topic=754.0

Feel free to add some more things you think the community could work on, no matter how small or large!

P.S. Coins, I found your reddit from past posts, so I sent you a message to become a moderator if you so please.

georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2016, 02:35:53 AM

Drumroll please!

--------------------

It is pretty bare, but it shall be our new home there. Please feel free to post things that might improve it's decor. I can subsequently change it. It would be really cool to get a custom theme / interface so if anyone has some coding experience in that regard, you can make the new reddit look more awesome!

I was unable to get in touch with the previous reddit moderator, so I went ahead and made this one bc I'm impatient. If I get in touch with the previous moderator, maybe I will delete one of them. Or maybe I can make the previous one a memorial to Mr. Spread (the Hamster).

Also, I have created a small list of tasks that can be started by members of the community here: http://spreadcointalk.org/index.php?topic=754.0

Feel free to add some more things you think the community could work on, no matter how small or large!

P.S. Coins, I found your reddit from past posts, so I sent you a message to become a moderator if you so please.

Ahhrg, I just wanted to enjoy it, but then it shows...

I will try again in a minute, reddit, alright alright...

rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 02:37:38 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2016, 05:32:44 AM by rhinomonkey

Yea, their servers were having trouble the entire time I was futzing around with it.  Undecided

Took me like 10 tries to save new stuff!!

Edit: It's worse than it was before I put the reddit up. Looks like the new Spreadcoin reddit has so much traffic going to it that it's bogging down the servers!!  Cool Cool Cool

Edit 2: Appears to be back up!

Edit 3: Populated it with some things. Keep adding  Grin Grin

georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2016, 11:07:01 AM

Yea, their servers were having trouble the entire time I was futzing around with it.  Undecided

Took me like 10 tries to save new stuff!!

Edit: It's worse than it was before I put the reddit up. Looks like the new Spreadcoin reddit has so much traffic going to it that it's bogging down the servers!!  Cool Cool Cool

Edit 2: Appears to be back up!

Edit 3: Populated it with some things. Keep adding  Grin Grin

great job with the reddit!

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 08:18:28 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2016, 08:54:17 PM by coins101

Drumroll please!

--------------------

That's super cool. I'm so impressed.

edit

wow, I'm now also a mod  Cool
rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 08:54:10 PM

Thank you!  Cheesy

I am going to play around with the layout a bit more. As I said, I don't know CSS, but maybe I can find some interesting downloads until we perhaps get someone on the team who can make it more aesthetically pleasing.

rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 09:27:31 PM

wow, I'm now also a mod  Cool

Congrats! Use your power for conquering good  Cheesy

rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 09:33:49 PM

Coins, did you happen to get any word from poloniex? Who was in charge of that last time? Is this something we still want to pursue?

A couple more questions:

How do you end up getting mobile location data through full bitcoin node? Do they receive that information from SPV wallets?

Do you have any good links for me to look over on this stuff? I want to get up to speed here.

Propagandalf

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 10:50:11 PM

300 SPR for the person that guesses when Georgem goes Legendary (nearest will do).

April 4th 2016.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 12:47:06 AM

Coins, did you happen to get any word from poloniex? Who was in charge of that last time? Is this something we still want to pursue?

A couple more questions:

How do you end up getting mobile location data through full bitcoin node? Do they receive that information from SPV wallets?

Do you have any good links for me to look over on this stuff? I want to get up to speed here.

SPVs are dumb clients, pretty much.

They need someone to spoon feed them data. If you have a second layer with thousands of full bitcoin nodes, you'll end up serving most of the SPVs, especially if you are hosting your full node in a professional facility with fast hardware and fast bandwidth. You'll be able to learn a lot by providing good coverage and good infrastructure for SPVs to connect to.

Slide 9, you'll find a link to Andreas's bitcoin book

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1qyExM5c1Ws7eUEj3J_gJ76zFe2WQaLdqJHMbJIJ_jng/edit?usp=sharing
rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 04:46:33 AM

Thank you!  Cheesy

I am going to play around with the layout a bit more. As I said, I don't know CSS, but maybe I can find some interesting downloads until we perhaps get someone on the team who can make it more aesthetically pleasing.

Check it out!  Cool

https://www.reddit.com/r/SpreadcoinOfficial/

I used someone else's code for the theme, but am making some minor adjustments myself (read as: copy & paste reddit developer!). Working on integrating spreadcoin's color scheme now. Who knows... maybe I'll be alright at CSS after all this...

Pages: « 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 ... 328 »
  Print  

Jump to: