Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:55:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: how excited are you for the DOGED rebranding to VERGE?!
insanely! - 42 (54.5%)
very! - 11 (14.3%)
sdalkjsldkfj YES! - 3 (3.9%)
Cheesy - 21 (27.3%)
Total Voters: 77

Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DOGED][REBRANDING TO $XVG] DogeCoinDark [Scrypt][privacy/TOR/i2P resources]  (Read 206263 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Mr Felt

Activity: 493
Merit: 518

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 08:30:26 PM

im making an executive decision to pick verge.

vergecurrency.com, .info, .org, and .net are now ours.

I respect that, you've put the most time and resources into this project.  Will you at least answer the question Jwinterm and I have posted - what is the plural of Verge? Does that plural version sound good when you say it - can you imagine a cashier saying it to when they ring up purchase?

usually with words like this, plural is the same, verge. "that will be 100 VERGE" "how many VERGE do you have?" "i just bought a million VERGE" etc

Thanks, glad it was investigated.*  Good luck w/ the re-branding effort. I'm a little worried about the choice, but I'll be rooting for its success nonetheless.  I'd be happy to give some feedback along the way if sought (just PM me).

*From https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/verge

From Middle French verge ‎(“rod or wand of office”), hence "scope, territory dominated", from Latin virga ‎(“shoot, rod stick”), of unknown origin. Earliest attested sense in English is now-obsolete meaning "male member, penis" (c.1400). Modern sense is from the notion of 'within the verge' (1509, also as Anglo-Norman dedeinz la verge), i.e. "subject to the Lord High Steward's authority" (as symbolized by the rod of office), originally a 12-mile radius round the royal court, which sense shifted to "the outermost edge of an expanse or area."

Noun[edit]
verge ‎(plural verges)

Etymology 2[edit]
Latin virgō.

Noun[edit]
verge f (plural verges)

female virgin (female person who has never had sexual intercourse)

Noun[edit]
verge f ‎(oblique plural verges, nominative singular verge, nominative plural verges)

i dig it. and if people want it to refer to the meaning of it in the 1400's, thats fine by me. virgin girls and penis only adds more machismo  Cheesy

but yeah, i like the english definition, plus it just sounds good.

verge1
vərj
noun
an edge or border.
"they came down to the verge of the lake"
synonyms:   edge, border, margin, side, brink, rim, lip; More
verb

approach (something) closely; be close or similar to (something).
"despair verging on the suicidal"
synonyms:   approach, border on, come close/near to, be tantamount to; tend toward, approximate to, resemble
"a degree of caution that verged on the obsessive"

while being a cryptocurrency, our private network puts us on the outer edge of internet traffic, away from the mainstream where ip's are leaked everywhere and everything is easily traced/hacked.

i think its important especially of late, that people start paying more attention to how they use the internet, and to start trying to use more privacy enabled software, for everything they do.

and btw, yes all coins will be fine. we arent resetting the blockchain or anything.. the network is staying the same, and we'll have a brand spankin new nicer looking wallet =]

I dunno, man, I'm going off the dictionary.  The most common current meaning is:
Noun[edit]
verge ‎(plural verges)

A rod or staff of office, e.g. of a verger.
(Britain, historical) The stick or wand with which persons were formerly admitted tenants, by holding it in the hand and swearing fealty to the lord. Such tenants were called tenants by the verge.

The edge meaning is the number 2 most common meaning.  Besides the plural form under any of the historical and modern uses being totally weird, an "edge" is both corporeal and incorporeal. Corporeally, an edge as a currency is definitely unique, but it makes little sense - you can't point to that definition and then re-appropriate the word's meaning to peoples' understanding of money very well using that same definition and knowing other definitions - one more common - also exist.  Likewise, incorporeally, the definition and concept are the opposite of how money has existed and been understood since the days of wampum (not a battle really worth fighting right now by DOGED IMHO). In essence, I think it will be a real challenge to carve out an understanding of a "verge" as a unit of money (also weird in the singular) that people will understand intuitively within 5 seconds - but maybe that challenge will be really fun.  Not trying to be negative here, I just have a different opinion on the choice and wished the decision calculus and process on this choice made more sense to me. I'd be lying if I said I thought the polling was not manipulated or that the goal posts w/ this deliberative process were not a moving target.  Undecided

Anyway, and sincerely, good luck to all with this project.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 08:48:54 PM

I respect that, you've put the most time and resources into this project.  Will you at least answer the question Jwinterm and I have posted - what is the plural of Verge? Does that plural version sound good when you say it - can you imagine a cashier saying it to when they ring up purchase?

usually with words like this, plural is the same, verge. "that will be 100 VERGE" "how many VERGE do you have?" "i just bought a million VERGE" etc

Thanks, glad it was investigated.*  Good luck w/ the re-branding effort. I'm a little worried about the choice, but I'll be rooting for its success nonetheless.  I'd be happy to give some feedback along the way if sought (just PM me).

*From https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/verge

From Middle French verge ‎(“rod or wand of office”), hence "scope, territory dominated", from Latin virga ‎(“shoot, rod stick”), of unknown origin. Earliest attested sense in English is now-obsolete meaning "male member, penis" (c.1400). Modern sense is from the notion of 'within the verge' (1509, also as Anglo-Norman dedeinz la verge), i.e. "subject to the Lord High Steward's authority" (as symbolized by the rod of office), originally a 12-mile radius round the royal court, which sense shifted to "the outermost edge of an expanse or area."

Noun[edit]
verge ‎(plural verges)

Etymology 2[edit]
Latin virgō.

Noun[edit]
verge f (plural verges)

female virgin (female person who has never had sexual intercourse)

Noun[edit]
verge f ‎(oblique plural verges, nominative singular verge, nominative plural verges)

i dig it. and if people want it to refer to the meaning of it in the 1400's, thats fine by me. virgin girls and penis only adds more machismo  Cheesy

but yeah, i like the english definition, plus it just sounds good.

verge1
vərj
noun
an edge or border.
"they came down to the verge of the lake"
synonyms:   edge, border, margin, side, brink, rim, lip; More
verb

approach (something) closely; be close or similar to (something).
"despair verging on the suicidal"
synonyms:   approach, border on, come close/near to, be tantamount to; tend toward, approximate to, resemble
"a degree of caution that verged on the obsessive"

while being a cryptocurrency, our private network puts us on the outer edge of internet traffic, away from the mainstream where ip's are leaked everywhere and everything is easily traced/hacked.

i think its important especially of late, that people start paying more attention to how they use the internet, and to start trying to use more privacy enabled software, for everything they do.

and btw, yes all coins will be fine. we arent resetting the blockchain or anything.. the network is staying the same, and we'll have a brand spankin new nicer looking wallet =]

I dunno, man, I'm going off the dictionary.  The most common current meaning is:
Noun[edit]
verge ‎(plural verges)

A rod or staff of office, e.g. of a verger.
(Britain, historical) The stick or wand with which persons were formerly admitted tenants, by holding it in the hand and swearing fealty to the lord. Such tenants were called tenants by the verge.

The edge meaning is the number 2 most common meaning.  Besides the plural form under any of the historical and modern uses being totally weird, an "edge" is both corporeal and incorporeal. Corporeally, an edge as a currency is definitely unique, but it makes little sense - you can't point to that definition and then re-appropriate the word's meaning to peoples' understanding of money very well using that same definition and knowing other definitions - one more common - also exist.  Likewise, incorporeally, the definition and concept are the opposite of how money has existed and been understood since the days of wampum (not a battle really worth fighting right now by DOGED IMHO). In essence, I think it will be a real challenge to carve out an understanding of a "verge" as a unit of money (also weird in the singular) that people will understand intuitively within 5 seconds - but maybe that challenge will be really fun.  Not trying to be negative here, I just have a different opinion on the choice and wished the decision calculus and process on this choice made more sense to me. I'd be lying if I said I thought the polling was not manipulated or that the goal posts w/ this deliberative process were not a moving target.  Undecided

Anyway, and sincerely, good luck to all with this project.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/verge?s=t

verge
[vurj]
noun
the edge, rim, or margin of something:
the verge of a desert; to operate on the verge of fraud.
the limit or point beyond which something begins or occurs; brink:
on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

That's the only meaning of the word I've ever known until recently hearing about it being a french penis in the 1400's or the "edge" of a lords authority. It is also natural to me to use Verge for the plural without an S it just sounds strange with an S.

{ BitSpill }
Dogedarkdev (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1009

$XVG - The Standard in Crypto as a Currency!

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 08:49:29 PM

in all of europe, and north america, it means edge. and thanks!

the important thing to remember, is VERGE will have the most privacy resources out of any other coin.

this is the currency that people can use, without worrying that people are able to see their balance, but also their actual location.

i believe people are seeing all these hacks lately, and wising up, and taking more security measures on their computers.

user privacy is a must!

_///// [$XVG] ★★★★★WE ARE ON THE VERGE ★★★★★ [MULTI-ALGO] /////_
Dxs

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 10:05:07 PM

I know its probably too late.. but...

Clear
Clear Currency/Coin/Cyrpto

CLR

Represents that your transactions can not be seen, undetecable - clear.
CryptoJohn
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1003

Well, That's Crypto :-\

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 10:23:08 PM

Ok people, dev has spoken & domains purchased.

Verge is the name... Lets not give dev any grief.
CryptocurrencyNetwork

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

@CryptoOz

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 11:14:21 PM

VERGE   Grin       i believe i was the 5th vote on that. I think it's a great name. CryptoCurrencyNetworks idea? Kudos to who came up with that. I got some VERGE to send you

DEV deserves the VERGE, send it to him Cheesy

CryptocurrencyNetwork

@CryptoOz

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 11:20:08 PM

Congrats Dev!

& now HERO Dev!!

endoffiat

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 12:08:21 AM

Even though i voted for COGS, I believe the 2 most important things have occurred.

1. No association with doge. Grin

2. Dogedarkdev is happy with the name. He has put a lot of effort into this great coin. So VERGE is good enough for me.

If this was my coin. i would want to be comfortable with a new name too. if i really wasn't happy, i could risk loosing a little bit of passion for the coin.

As i have always stated, I would own these coins under any name (within reason of course) Cheesy  And the fact that it is 1 syllable is a bonus i believe.

At the end of the day this currency is about privacy and security, And not about being the greatest name ever. Names do grow on people remember.

So you have my full support Dogedarkdev.  Grin  

hopefully we don't clog up this thread with why peoples preferred names should have been chosen instead of VERGE. that would just end up going around in circles.

As it is impossible to have a new name that is liked by 100% of the community. And lets face it, VERGE is definitely not a crap name.

Things like MTGOX and CRYPTSY etc Angry  have made it obvious, that privacy and security must now reach new levels.

And what d-ya know. This crypto-currency HAS reached a new level of privacy and security. Cool

We are now on the VERGE of a new era in Crypto-currency privacy and security.   Wink

_///// [XVG] ★★★★★WE ARE ON  THE VERGE ★★★★★ [SCRYPT] /////_
_//// TOR // I2P // LINUX . WINDOWS . MAC . ANDROID . ELECTRUM . WEBWALLET . GITHUB // WEBSITE // RADIO // IRC ////_
daggerpunt

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 12:23:56 AM

Even though i voted for COGS, I believe the 2 most important things have occurred.

1. No association with doge. Grin

2. Dogedarkdev is happy with the name. He has put a lot of effort into this great coin. So VERGE is good enough for me.

If this was my coin. i would want to be comfortable with a new name too. if i really wasn't happy, i could risk loosing a little bit of passion for the coin.

As i have always stated, I would own these coins under any name (within reason of course) Cheesy  And the fact that it is 1 syllable is a bonus i believe.

At the end of the day this currency is about privacy and security, And not about being the greatest name ever. Names do grow on people remember.

So you have my full support Dogedarkdev.  Grin  

hopefully we don't clog up this thread with why peoples preferred names should have been chosen instead of VERGE. that would just end up going around in circles.

As it is impossible to have a new name that is liked by 100% of the community. And lets face it, VERGE is definitely not a crap name.

Things like MTGOX and CRYPTSY etc Angry  have made it obvious, that privacy and security must now reach new levels.

And what d-ya know. This crypto-currency HAS reached a new level of privacy and security. Cool

We are now on the VERGE of a new era in Crypto-currency privacy and security.   Wink

Well said. I couldn't agree with you more.

_//// TOR // I2P // LINUX . WINDOWS . MAC . ANDROID . ELECTRUM . WEBWALLET . GITHUB // WEBSITE // RADIO // IRC ////_
endoffiat

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 12:38:43 AM

P.S
Dogedarkdev, does that mean you will now be known as VergeDEV  or  DEVerge.  Cheesy

But seriously Congrats on the rebrand, It must have been a difficult decision to make.

I Really admire your dedication to what you have created. And i am really looking forward to what lies ahead for VERGE. Grin

Dogedarkdev (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2016, 12:52:22 AM

P.S
Dogedarkdev, does that mean you will now be known as VergeDEV  or  DEVerge.  Cheesy

But seriously Congrats on the rebrand, It must have been a difficult decision to make.

I Really admire your dedication to what you have created. And i am really looking forward to what lies ahead for VERGE. Grin

thanks! yes, at first i was rather against the idea myself, but i really put alot of thought into it, and i think we will be taken alot more seriously with a new name.

there will be no preconceptions as to what we are, and when people find out that we are the only coin offering this kind of privacy/security, i think it will spread.

and right now is a great time for people to come in while we are at such a low satoshi due to the cryptsy mess.

ps: yeah i've already taken the name VERGEdev (in our irc channel and here on bitcointalk, however i will most likely keep this account when i start a new ANN, so people arent frightened of the newbie status.)

bitLeap

Activity: 1176
Merit: 476

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 12:56:46 AM

great pick and long live VERGE  Grin

Duelbits
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
endoffiat

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 01:09:45 AM

P.S

thanks! yes, at first i was rather against the idea myself, but i really put alot of thought into it, and i think we will be taken alot more seriously with a new name.

there will be no preconceptions as to what we are, and when people find out that we are the only coin offering this kind of privacy/security, i think it will spread.

and right now is a great time for people to come in while we are at such a low satoshi due to the cryptsy mess.

ps: yeah i've already taken the name VERGEdev (in our irc channel and here on bitcointalk, however i will most likely keep this account when i start a new ANN, so people arent frightened of the newbie status.)
Yeah i hear ya on the newbie status.
besides Dogedarkdev still sounds cool anyway Cool

CrypticTrader

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 01:14:16 AM

congrats - VERGE!
Dogedarkdev (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2016, 01:29:05 AM

Why is everyone so worried about the new name of the coin Huh

I think that the main challenge now is its price and promotion to the masses. Smiley
Verge is just an impossible name to promote. The word sounds cool but it's not worth spending the DOGED to market if nobody understands it's money. One of the main objectives of this name change was making it clearly a form of money through the name and verge fails this test

maybe it does to you, but you also aren't a market expert ;]

i think it's going to work out just lovely  Cool

CryptocurrencyNetwork

@CryptoOz

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2016, 01:45:21 AM

I think that the main challenge now is its price and promotion to the masses. Smiley
Verge is just an impossible name to promote. The word sounds cool but it's not worth spending the DOGED to market if nobody understands it's money. One of the main objectives of this name change was making it clearly a form of money through the name and verge fails this test

i think it's going to work out just lovely  Cool
And look! As more people vote verge loses traction, the percentage is going down! The list showed COG not COGS for a long time killing its votes, and hashcash is getting support too. Expect a selloff if it's this terrible terrible name because the oldtimers of DOGED will DIVERGE

and two business degrees, straight A's, nbd the best in software engineering attracts the best in business

Come on bud... you have been a supporter for a very long time. Be happy. Enjoy the ride.

CryptocurrencyNetwork

@CryptoOz

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2016, 01:49:48 AM

i think it's going to work out just lovely  Cool
And look! As more people vote verge loses traction, the percentage is going down! The list showed COG not COGS for a long time killing its votes, and hashcash is getting support too. Expect a selloff if it's this terrible terrible name because the oldtimers of DOGED will DIVERGE

and two business degrees, straight A's, nbd the best in software engineering attracts the best in business

Come on bud... you have been a supporter for a very long time. Be happy. Enjoy the ride.
Look, dev is censoring! That's not his style but it is for this name change! Theymos much?

RU are slowly losing the plot?

CryptocurrencyNetwork

@CryptoOz

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2016, 01:51:45 AM

Dogedarkdev (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2016, 02:09:36 AM

I like a lot of them.  Keep adding and re-polling.  Eventually come up with the top 2-3 and set a final vote.  But so far a lot of good ideas...      
Unfortunately dev decided not to do this and instead goes against his own principles to make an executive decision

please stop whining, i picked the name from community-picked suggestions, and the one that got the most votes in fact.

if you don't like it, no one is making you stay here, just sell your coins. or hold them. but for the love of god, please stop whining.

many people in the community are pleased with it, and alot of people in the chat have said it's a great name.

it's been picked, deal with it or move on  Cool

CryptocurrencyNetwork

@CryptoOz

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2016, 02:13:34 AM

don't think we need to tell people it's a form of currency with the name.

Lets focus on what sets this coin apart from other coins.

Secure Anonymous Network and a very competent and committed Dev.

With our new Darknets properly utilized THE NETWORK DOES NOT CONTAIN THE USER IP.
Making the currency UNTRACEABLE.

What about a name like STANCE This coin is making a stance for decentralized financial privacy.

The problem is the majority of the world does not even know "Bitcoin" is money. So why make it harder for them to adopt? It's a huge advantage to be associated money.
Once they look into the coin they will see why it shines.
How could you be happy with verge if you want it associated with money? There's more support against verge from real DOGED holders than the other names for this reason

It was also pointed out by others in the forum that a name did not need to represent money - this was when I suggested Capital.

Voting shows clear winner. Were we going to vote forever?

Do you not want to see the full potential of this currency, yes currency, not "coin"? If not, be noble and focus on something else.

Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 »
  Print  

Jump to: