Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:51:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Nefario  (Read 198627 times)
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 10:24:36 PM

So, someone needs to start a total anonymous identityless exchange.

People can't even get their funds back from exchange owners whose identities are known.  What makes you think that anyone who sets up a totally anonymous exchange is going to be trustworthy?
because it would be trustable over time?
You mean, as the pot of funds waiting to be stolen gets slowly larger?  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 10:34:36 PM

Perhaps calling out the other two supporters in public so we can know for certain who is supporting this abortion of a way to wrap up a company and who is on the side of the victims?

If there are no coins forthcoming by the end of the week Im considering it.

Bitinvestor

Activity: 470

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 10:43:27 PM

Great idea! I'm sure the same guys who "invested" in DMC would be all over it.

Those who cause problems for others also cause problems for themselves.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 10:46:18 PM

Perhaps calling out the other two supporters in public so we can know for certain who is supporting this abortion of a way to wrap up a company and who is on the side of the victims?

If there are no coins forthcoming by the end of the week Im considering it.

Please do.. their reputation seriously needs to be out there.
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 12:36:20 AM

People can't even get their funds back from exchange owners whose identities are known.  What makes you think that anyone who sets up a totally anonymous exchange is going to be trustworthy?

If done right, there wouldn't be any funds to steal. Just like with bitcoins themselves, a properly set up distributed exchange shouldn't have a central entity that can grab them.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
LazyOtto

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 12:58:12 AM

a properly set up distributed exchange shouldn't have a central entity that can grab them.
I agree.

Seems to me that, in theory, a completely distributed system based within the block-chain should be doable. Perhaps with an overhead cost, per-trade cost, being whatever the going rate is for a BTC transaction of equivalent value.

This would create, perhaps, an incentive for an application, beyond bitcoin-qt and its equivalents, which enables tracking and performing trades of assets which are tracked/verified/validated by 'transactions' embedded in the chain. (And possibly opportunities for a web site(s) which support this for those who don't want to 'pay' the overhead of running a full bitcoind and its giga-bytes of data. Which, of course, would be entitled to a, small, additional percentage cut per trade.)

Hmmm, probably still needs 'exchange' sites where buy/sell bids can be submitted/moderated to allow for 'market' establisment/fluctuation. But with such a 'chain-embedded' tracking of assets the current issue of divorcing issues from validated holders of shares would never again occur. And since up to date ownership of shares is never in doubt, they could readily be traded at *any* existent exchange. Hence creating motivation for exchanges to compete by the services offered and fees charged with no risk that an 'exchange' can abscond with the assets. (There would always be risk to any transient BTC held by an exchange, but the assets themselves would be safe.)

I think some work has already begun on something like this but it is immature to date. If anyone else recalls such please reply with a link. I might be interested in personally putting some software dev man-hours towards such a solution.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 01:12:52 AM

...srsly, why have they not yet been sent?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 01:50:58 AM

An anonymous echange alone wouldnt help. That would be worse than now because now we know the owner. A new exchange only can be without a central. P2P-like. The orderbook stored on all the nodes taking part and the transactions in a similar way like with bitcoins. If its created, open source and some guys who know code checked its safe i would trust that network way more than a new centralized stock exchange.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 02:35:40 AM

If done right, there wouldn't be any funds to steal. Just like with bitcoins themselves, a properly set up distributed exchange shouldn't have a central entity that can grab them.

Its probably helpful to have multisig so if the operator goes rogue he cant steal your coins.

novusordo

Activity: 800

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 03:11:20 AM

Diablo's identity is more trivial to find than the identities of most other asset issuers... I'm failing to see why DMC investors would be more interested in an anonymous exchange.

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 03:23:40 AM

Jesus H. Christ, this thread is still going? The BTC Guild mining thread has been going since like Oct-Nov of 2011 and its only 56 pages last time I checked!

Nefario has become quite the celebrity!

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Nite69

Activity: 477

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 06:59:37 AM

Another distributed blockchain that holds the information about shares and there would be no need to trust anyone. The exchange pages would hold no BTC or shares, only information about prices and sell/buy orders, which it would have extracted from the blockchain. Actually, the whole trade could be made without any central exchange. Just a client (like bitcoin-qt) which would do everything and store the information on a blockchain.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=115712.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=116991.0

Sync: ShiSKnx4W6zrp69YEFQyWk5TkpnfKLA8wx
Bitcoin: 17gNvfoD2FDqTfESUxNEmTukGbGVAiJhXp
Litecoin: LhbDew4s9wbV8xeNkrdFcLK5u78APSGLrR
AuroraCoin: AXVoGgYtSVkPv96JLL7CiwcyVvPxXHXRK9
Bitinvestor

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 07:08:47 AM

Diablo's identity is more trivial to find than the identities of most other asset issuers... I'm failing to see why DMC investors would be more interested in an anonymous exchange.

Because anybody who was stupid enough to "invest" in DMC is also stupid enough to "invest" in an anonymous exchange.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 10:32:55 AM

Because anybody who was stupid enough to "invest" in DMC is also stupid enough to "invest" in an anonymous exchange.

O come on... as if the ipo-investors should have know how diablo will handle dmc. at ipo everything looked fine. Diablo was a distributor to the community with his miner and everyone trusted him.

If you spoke about pirate invests... then i could say ok... but diablo not.

Bitinvestor

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 12:32:52 PM

O come on... as if the ipo-investors should have know how diablo will handle dmc. at ipo everything looked fine. Diablo was a distributor to the community with his miner and everyone trusted him.

If you spoke about pirate invests... then i could say ok... but diablo not.

It may have looked fine to you but it certainly didn't to me. I do investments for a living and I can assure you that I lost lots of money in companies that had far, far better business plans than DMC.

DMC was truly ridiculous.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 12:35:33 PM

I dont know, because i wasnt here at ipo. But i trusted diablo because of his reputation. That this doesnt mean for business quality i had to learn. The plan was to create a mining rig. He didnt do that. I dont see whats so bad with the plan like it was presented from the start.

Bitinvestor

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 12:45:17 PM

I dont know, because i wasnt here at ipo. But i trusted diablo because of his reputation. That this doesnt mean for business quality i had to learn. The plan was to create a mining rig. He didnt do that. I dont see whats so bad with the plan like it was presented from the start.

Please read the DMC thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77469.0

Every possible concern with Diablo's conduct and "business plan" was pointed out within it.

EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 01:26:09 PM

The idea is not depending on them being.

Multisig + nLockTime transactions could do the job. First, we guarantee that the service operator is not able of running away with the money. With nLockTime we guarantee that, even if the operator disappears, the money shall come back to its rightful owners in, say, one month. I guess similar things could be implemented in OT to give the same guarantees concerning the assets.
Obviously, there's a long road to get there. nLockTime is currently not fully supported by the network. AFAIK BitcoinJS doesn't do multisig, and I know no other javascript client that could be easily embedded in a browser. I don't know if OT currently supports multisignature either, nor if there is a javascript OT client. Being honest, multisig isn't really essential. But multisig may also protect the user against a malware in their own computer. I find this important.

There's still an important trust issue that remains unsolved: the asset issuers. Established companies might not dare openly selling their shares in a black market. Actually, I wonder if any non-anonymous company would. And as we know already, trusting an anonymous issuer is a serious issue. There might be ways to overcome this problem too, but it won't be simple.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 02:03:19 PM

But a centralized market could be attacked by government. They only need to find the server and catch them. Then nLockTime and so on cant help am i right?

EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 02:10:38 PM

It'd be in the darknet, of course. Like Silk Road.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »
  Print  

Jump to: