Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:44:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 91 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Batch #1 Ships  (Read 238856 times)
tbcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 01:32:41 AM

I'm still skeptical. No pictures? No actual proof?

I'm thinking they're still not ready and are using this thread to buy time. All the FUD in this thread will probably buy them another week or two without having to formally announce a delay.
Emphasis mine.

Someone hasn't read the thread. Here's the picture Avalon posted, for the 10th time now:

This is nothing

Sorry for my bad english Wink
Bitcoin card for deposit and payment + Little POS
Donations:1N65efiNUhH6sEQg7Z6oUC76kJS9Yhevyf

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 01:33:55 AM

I'm thinking they're still not ready and are using this thread to buy time. All the FUD in this thread will probably buy them another week or two without having to formally announce a delay.
Emphasis mine.

Someone hasn't read the thread. Here's the picture Avalon posted, for the 10th time now:

This is nothing

So let me repost BitSyncom's response:

We've anticipated this behavoir, so we decided to wait a little and address the following.

Trolls: omg post fucking photos!

Avalon posts photo.

Trolls: how we know these things even work! post fucking videos.

Avalon posts video.

Trolls: wtf that shit is staged.

Avalon says: wait till third party review.

and back where I originally started.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:36:27 AM

Seriously?  One of the first units was shipped to a Bitcoin dev.  For it not to arrive or to not work when it does arrive would do far more damage to Avalon than a two week delay would have done.

Pictures prove nothing about whether a unit actually exists or works.  They're nice to have so you can drool over something, but they don't actually prove anything.  You can pay to have clever mock-ups of stuff built - half the technology you see in TV shows and movies is nothing more than a clever mock-up which looks like the real thing and looks like it's actually working when its not.

While people can certainly still question any photos or videos posted by Jeff and Bitcoin Foundation when their units are set up, it's a big stretch to believe that they're going to deceive users about the end product produced by Avalon or any other ASIC vendor.

If you read the original thread, you'll see that people were also violently opposed to any of the ASIC vendors actually hashing to prove that their products worked, too.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
tbcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 01:40:07 AM

Emphasis mine.

This is nothing

So let me repost BitSyncom's response:

We've anticipated this behavoir, so we decided to wait a little and address the following.

Trolls: omg post fucking photos!

Avalon posts photo.

Trolls: how we know these things even work! post fucking videos.

Avalon posts video.

Trolls: wtf that shit is staged.

Avalon says: wait till third party review.

and back where I originally started.

I'm not a troll, but this picture not prove nothing...

they have a final product, which are sending, the minimum is see a box with fans.
BFL in October... and still nothing
http://bitcoinmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/1-IMG_1562.jpg

Sorry for my bad english Wink
Bitcoin card for deposit and payment + Little POS
Donations:1N65efiNUhH6sEQg7Z6oUC76kJS9Yhevyf
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1190

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:41:10 AM

Call me any names you like... I'm still sticking with BFL. This Avalon business doesn't smell right. I'll be happy to print this out and eat it if I'm wrong. I'd love to be wrong. But, me being wrong is a pretty rare thing...

Let me get this straight. You're going to stick with BFL, who has already delayed from October to November to December to January to February and has yet to show a working device. And you think Avalon stinks, who moved their shipping date up from February to January? You are seriously confused.

Buy & Hold
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 1794

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:45:02 AM

Shouldn't you pay for it or return it once the coding process is done?

Do you sort of understand where I am coming from?
No I don't - because you are not comparing similar environments.

If they were to employ someone to write the software from scratch the cost would certainly be well above handing out some boards to developers. Then of course there is the support of that software for eternity until the Avalon boards are considered no longer worth supporting.

By having developers support their hardware they gain more sales.

Why should developers do the development and support for them for free when they are purely profit driven themselves?

Not only that, but we get support requests for cgminer all the time - and with the release of the software to support their hardware, you seriously think we should be providing that Avalon support for free also?

In this case they have paid Xiangfu to enhance cgminer for their purposes.
So anyone who comes to us for question about it will of course be sent back to Avalon to ask them for support.

As per I wrote before:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120184.msg1317892#msg1317892 <- here and the following posts

I have 3 mining FPGAs - 2xIcarus, BFL Single and ModMinerQuad
Those devices I support whole heartedly with cgminer
I'm not quite sure why I should be coding and supporting other devices for free with the free cgminer code ...

asicminer have told me they will send me a board - so when I get it I will write support for it in cgminer.
bASIC have told me they will send me a board - so assuming they finish their product and send me one, I will write support for it in cgminer.
BFL have said they will fly me to the USA to view and report on their production and suggested that I will not leave empty handed Smiley - so I will add support to cgminer for whichever devices I obtain from them ... and possibly more depending on the devices and the access to them.
Avalon - no idea I never heard from them since that discussion with BitSyncom I linked above ... though they haven't yet released the ISO they said they would ... probably because that will also require them to release the cgminer source code with it ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Vicus

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:03:54 AM

One of the benefits of Open Source Software is that anyone can do anything with it, until they provide source code of all changes (correct for GPL and other similiar licenses, but not for BSD-like license for ex.). Kano, I suppose that you don't think, that you only one who can write code for cgminer? Avalon can release patch for it and you will decide include it in trunk or not. But I'm don't think, that Avalon will be upset, if you decide not to do so...
Vicus

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:16:36 AM

I'm not a troll, but this picture not prove nothing...
So, why they should to prove you anything? If you are first batch customer, your units already sent or will be shipped within week. If your are potential customer, you will get your proof until next batch starts. Best proof will be pics'n'vids from first batch customers.
hope2907

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:17:59 AM

One of the benefits of Open Source Software is that anyone can do anything with it, until they provide source code of all changes (correct for GPL and other similiar licenses, but not for BSD-like license for ex.). Kano, I suppose that you don't think, that you only one who can write code for cgminer? Avalon can release patch for it and you will decide include it in trunk or not. But I'm don't think, that Avalon will be upset, if you decide not to do so...

Open Source Software doesn't mean anyone can customize it and release specially for making profit purpose
if i remember correctly
Vicus

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:21:14 AM

Open Source Software doesn't mean anyone can customize it and release specially for making profit purpose
if i remember correctly
Ha-ha. Tell that to RedHat. You are wrong. Take a time to read this
maqifrnswa

Activity: 454

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 03:43:06 AM
Last edit: January 21, 2013, 04:46:40 AM by maqifrnswa

I think that is Kano's point: it's OSS, Avalon is free to patch it and support it however they like. Of course if they do, they have to distribute source code as well.

However, if they want Kano to patch and support it, he wants hardware in return. I think that's fair, and they can say "no thank you" to the deal, it's their choice.

You're allowed to sell GPLed software as long as you follow the license (provide source code).
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8343

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 03:53:59 AM

However, if they want Kano to patch and support it, he wants hardware in return. I think that's fair, and they can say "no thank you" to the deal, it's their choice.
Presumably if someone _else_ wants Kano to support it that person (or a collection of people) could cooperate to buy him one too. Which is right and proper: People who want his support can self-serve to get Kano whatever Kano needs to provide it.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 04:26:13 AM

Maybe the Bitcoin Foundation can loan the Avalon ASIC they're getting to cgminer devs.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 05:09:45 AM

Congrats Avalon,but,so far only 2 units have been mentioned as sent out  Sad

You still win the trophy for "First units shipped" though  Cool

Let's see how many go out & how fast,before we panic about the network hashrate exploding  Wink
Well - actually until there is some proof that it has been shipped - they don't get the "First units shipped" trophy.
Even jgarzik doesn't have a shipping confirmation yet.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137534.msg1466313#msg1466313
That I do indeed find surprising.

Now ... if that shipping time takes 5 days or even 10 days ... then there is still the small possibility of someone else actually running some other ASIC miner and proving it before jgarzik can.
Not likely, but still possible ...

No ASIC has "definitely" reached the finish line yet ...

Yeah a little premature on my part...but they are ahead of BFL at any rate,seeing they won't ship till MAYBE mid Feb,if they don't delay AGAIN  Roll Eyes & bASIC won't have anything till March sometime....maybe  Tongue

Stuff sent from Newegg by UPS/Fedx can take 1-2 days to show a working tracking #.But you still get a # to follow.

Now USPS/DHL may never show a # or the results of where your package is  Roll Eyes I've gotten a # for USPS/DHL & they said it didn't exist......until the package showed up on my doorstep  Angry

BTW kano,thanks for your work  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Mikej0h

Activity: 117
Merit: 100

Life is short, play long

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 05:13:28 AM

Shocking that it took an official post to be the first to make the obvious point that that was photoshopped. Puerto did everything possible to make it painstaking clear that it was fake. 1/4th of the total batch, with an order number too high to exist within the batch, different font than original order that it was shopped from, etc.

PuertoLibre: " ... (Order number is real though) ...".

You obviously can not read either.

I edited that out, but it still stands to reason regardless.

Ordernumbers exceeded available units, since a few people didn't pay...
I also purchased a unit AFTER all units were 'sold', one came available since a customer didn't pay.

^ My order... (edited just name out)
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 05:16:54 AM

It might be a DHL global mail shipment. Google "DHL global mail", click tracking, and then american or european shipment. Had one from newegg the other day. It took me forever to figure ot out because I was on the wrong DHL website.

Edit: click track your package then click domestic or international. Not american or european, I just checked it out

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 05:22:54 AM

It might be a DHL global mail shipment. Google "DHL global mail", click tracking, and then american or european shipment. Had one from newegg the other day. It took me forever to figure ot out because I was on the wrong DHL website.

Until the recipient has a tracking number, they can't track it.  Jeff is saying he's been given no details so far regarding shipping - so he has neither the tracking number nor the shipping method at the moment.  While you'd think that Avalon would spend a little extra on ensuring that these first two orders reach their destination ASAP - even if it coat them several hundred dollars out of their own pockets - the fact that they didn't have a form up allowing users to select a shipping method makes me think that they may not have paid much attention to this part of the process up until now.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 06:31:34 AM

Yes anyone can change cgminer as I have already stated, Xiangfu has done it for them already.

I'm simply stating to PuertoLibre (and yourself) that I can't (and won't) support the cgminer Avalon code for free.
In fact it's very cheap ... an Avalon ... and totally worth their while ... IMO Tongue

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
kano
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 06:48:27 AM

Presumably if someone _else_ wants Kano to support it that person (or a collection of people) could cooperate to buy him one too. Which is right and proper: People who want his support can self-serve to get Kano whatever Kano needs to provide it.

Yes I tried that with the Cairnsmore1, and someone even offered to send me one from an upcoming batch they had ordered ... though I was very lax about it and said they should wait and decide when they got them ... and when they got them they changed their mind Tongue
No big deal Cheesy However, thus there is indeed no advanced support for the Cairnsmore1 in cgminer - just the original Icarus bitstream support that I wrote based on making the necessary changes to the Icarus code.

I considered those changes ideal since Lancelot would also require such changes and I was given an Icarus by ngzhang back when I first helped Xiangfu get the code working for Icarus (and I bought one also at the same time so he sent me two) and adding support for the new upcoming Lancelot from ngzhang at the time seemed a reasonable thing to do since it was also very similar to the Icarus ...

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2013, 06:51:53 AM

Emphasis mine.

Since I am stamped as a troll in these forums anyway, by so many people I step forward and ask the inconvenient questions:

Where is the image originally from?
Why isn't it in high resolution/uncropped/with exif data?
Why aren't there tons of pictures?
Why is the right chip significantly blurrier than the U4 label next to it?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 91 »
  Print  

Jump to: