Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:26:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Batch #1 Ships  (Read 238856 times)
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1622

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 04:46:43 AM

This picture seems to be entitled ASIC Preview #1: http://imgur.com/Y8QzhRP

It's even an off-grid, self-powered unit, apparently.

But will it work with cgminer/bfgminer, that's the real question.
I thought I'd have to write a driver for it, but now I have to find a rider for it.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 07:04:28 AM

Complete opposite, We did some time tables and realized our greatest time waster was us smashing trolls

There's a difference between "smashing trolls" and "keeping your customers informed". It is insulting to your customers to say that you kept them in the dark simply because trolls exist.
BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 07:26:40 AM

But will it work with cgminer/bfgminer, that's the real question.
Ehhhh, the real question is: http://www.willitblend.com

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
ab8989

Activity: 209
Merit: 101

FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 09:19:45 AM

we have cleaned the market of some certain parts like resistors and capacitors. We have to order directly from factories now

Some others seem willing to go out of the limb to believe some hundreds of some commodity component which are usually used in batches of millions are a problem. I am not willing to believe this.

However the ordering directly from factories is 110% total horsemanure. There is no way in hell any factory of a commodity component like resistors or capacitors is willing to even talk to you. You are struggling even be sufficiently large customer for any small-village-distributor to take you seriously. To them your few hundred units sound like home hobbyist product and they will treat their real customers first and they buy things like resistors and capacitors in millions every month of every year guaranteed. A distributor buys things like that in hundreds of millions every month from the factory and those are the volumes when a factory is interested to start to talking to you. I am not sure anybody much smaller than Apple or Nokia buys the cheap commodity products like resistors directly from a factory.

A demonstration will come by a customer very soon, if you wish to wait until then, go ahead; but you then run into the risk of not making into batch #2, and where if I don't open orders now, I run into the issue not able to order parts before CNY, which has a pretty long lead time.

In normal world manufacturers order parts and manufacture the units and even ship out the working units and are paid much later like a month later. This is how things usually work in 99,9999% of all the cases and how things should work.

Strange how in BTC economy that does not work. Also strange how each manufacturer seems to think that bending over backwards to purposefully spend effort to make them look like a scam is good for business. Name any company in fiat-economy that thinks this is a good strategy. Should not be hard. There are millions of companies in fiat economy to choose from. There must be something strange in customers in BTC economy.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 09:25:58 AM

we have cleaned the market of some certain parts like resistors and capacitors. We have to order directly from factories now

Some others seem willing to go out of the limb to believe some hundreds of some commodity component which are usually used in batches of millions are a problem. I am not willing to believe this.

zomg

And when I thought the whole drama couldn't get more ridiculous there is this gem, thanks for finding it.  Cheesy
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 09:35:54 AM

I wonder if a manual is going to come with this thing.  This seems like its going to be a small pain in the butt without a usb port.  Whoever buys this will have to have at least a small knowledge of networking because either

A) It will come with a static address so you can plug in directly to it and telnet/ssh in to change the it to the appropriate address so you can use it normally

B) it will pick up a dhcp address and you will have to log into your router and figure out the address based on that.

Then there is the issue of actually configuring it to work with software remotely . . .  If you misconfigure something and block yourself from the box, how do you reset it to get back in?

I have a feeling that even if you got this device tomorrow, you still won't be able to use it for a while.  Maybe I'm wrong and they already have it working with a miner.  While I bought into BFL I'm honestly not hating or trolling.  I'd like to see this thing actually work.  Perhaps this is why there isn't any video yet.

The manual is openwrt:)

If it is openwrt + cgminer or something similar it shall take no more than 2 mins to make it mine.

Oh yes - there shall be reset button in case  you misconfigure something:)

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
rchapoteau

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 09:57:11 AM

I wonder if a manual is going to come with this thing.  This seems like its going to be a small pain in the butt without a usb port.  Whoever buys this will have to have at least a small knowledge of networking because either

A) It will come with a static address so you can plug in directly to it and telnet/ssh in to change the it to the appropriate address so you can use it normally

B) it will pick up a dhcp address and you will have to log into your router and figure out the address based on that.

Then there is the issue of actually configuring it to work with software remotely . . .  If you misconfigure something and block yourself from the box, how do you reset it to get back in?

I have a feeling that even if you got this device tomorrow, you still won't be able to use it for a while.  Maybe I'm wrong and they already have it working with a miner.  While I bought into BFL I'm honestly not hating or trolling.  I'd like to see this thing actually work.  Perhaps this is why there isn't any video yet.

The manual is openwrt:)

If it is openwrt + cgminer or something similar it shall take no more than 2 mins to make it mine.

Oh yes - there shall be reset button in case  you misconfigure something:)

How does cgminer know how to use the asic?  It doesn't need any extra programming or drivers? (I'm honestly asking because I don't know. )

With any OS on a writable drive I have a chance of screwing myself.  If I accidentally delete a necessary file or misconfigure something that is written I don't see a way of resetting this.  Hopefully whatever it is running the OS from isn't soldered in in case you need to remove it and work on it in a different box.   This is probably a minor concern though.

Its kind of annoying that at this stage of the game the info isn't out there on how this will be used and we are all guessing based on pictures.
aTg
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 10:15:45 AM

zomg

And when I thought the whole drama couldn't get more ridiculous there is this gem, thanks for finding it.  Cheesy

It may be true ... If purchased at the corner store.  Tongue
BitSyncom (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 10:17:17 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2013, 10:31:00 AM by BitSyncom

However the ordering directly from factories is 110% total horsemanure. There is no way in hell any factory of a commodity component like resistors or capacitors is willing to even talk to you. You are struggling even be sufficiently large customer for any small-village-distributor to take you seriously. To them your few hundred units sound like home hobbyist product and they will treat their real customers first and they buy things like resistors and capacitors in millions every month of every year guaranteed. A distributor buys things like that in hundreds of millions every month from the factory and those are the volumes when a factory is interested to start to talking to you. I am not sure anybody much smaller than Apple or Nokia buys the cheap commodity products like resistors directly from a factory.

A demonstration will come by a customer very soon, if you wish to wait until then, go ahead; but you then run into the risk of not making into batch #2, and where if I don't open orders now, I run into the issue not able to order parts before CNY, which has a pretty long lead time.

In normal world manufacturers order parts and manufacture the units and even ship out the working units and are paid much later like a month later. This is how things usually work in 99,9999% of all the cases and how things should work.

Strange how in BTC economy that does not work. Also strange how each manufacturer seems to think that bending over backwards to purposefully spend effort to make them look like a scam is good for business. Name any company in fiat-economy that thinks this is a good strategy. Should not be hard. There are millions of companies in fiat economy to choose from. There must be something strange in customers in BTC economy.

Care to do our parts order for us then? It sure is easy when you say it, I will seriously hire you if you can find me certain parts that's available for purchase and without a 4-6 week lead time delivery. Love when people make broad generalizations: the wider the generalization the less the person know about the topic. and some times, we get into the 0.0001% ( just mirroring your completely baseless data as a comparison. )

I am in awe by amount of your stupid so dense that has formed a black hole, but is still leaking.

edit:
see this shit? I don't post anything, people bitch. I post actual problems, people think I'm lying.  I applaud you not to order from us ab8989.

loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 10:17:35 AM

Dude,
I am running my lancelot cluster on TPlink-WR842ND without any issues. It flies. I modded my routter with 64Mb of ram just in case

My guess is that they are using something similar - soho router with at least one USB + openwrt (Linux). All shall be compiled and installed for you - usb drivers, probably patched cgminer to be able to talk with ASIC board via USB and so on.

The only way for you to delete something is to use rm and sync after wards. In other words it shall be done intentionally. I hope that they made cgminer WEB config back end where you and other folks here which do not have enough experience to be able to enter your pool and user. If they missed it do not be scared. I promise you that when i got my unit i will make detailed howto so you will be able to make it mine with no issues. I am sure that other folks here will help also.

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
ab8989

Activity: 209
Merit: 101

FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 10:40:40 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2013, 10:50:58 AM by ab8989

If you have trouble finding some mundane items like resistors and capacitors you have chosen the wrong type of component. There is no reason your board does not use the same type of components there are hundred of other digital board manufacturers around you using in much larger quantities. And if you have trouble you call the next distributor. A few hundred pieces of any resistor or capacitor of any halfway commonly used type can be had in hand in hours in any industrialized town from dozens of different places.

Ps. why are you spending your time replying to me instead of sending jgarzik the shipping information?
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 1794

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 10:50:20 AM

How does cgminer know how to use the asic?  It doesn't need any extra programming or drivers? (I'm honestly asking because I don't know. )
As I've stated before, Xiangfu wrote the Avalon driver module for cgminer.

It was interesting to see in the #btcfpga IRC channel, Luke-Jr saying he had images of the inside of the Avalon.

So any customers hoping to see them - I guess that a complete - "fuck you" from Avalon.
They don't give a shit ... ... ... or they still haven't got the software working and wanted Luke-Jr's help.
I wonder which it is?

looks like 5 rows of 16 ASIC chips per board, and 3 boards per Avalon
just looking at some pictures of the internals
16 long by 5 high, per board

So that's 250MH/s per chip to get 60GH/s ... though it was Luke-Jr so who knows how reliable that info is.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
BitSyncom (OP)

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 10:53:02 AM

If you have trouble finding some mundane items like resistors and capacitors you have chosen the wrong type of component. There is no reason your board does not use the same type of components there are hundred of other digital board manufacturers around you using in much larger quantities. And if you have trouble you call the next distributor. A few hundred pieces of any resistor or capacitor of any halfway commonly used type can be had in hand in hours in any industrialized town from dozens of different places.

Maybe I wasn't being clear, Mosfets and Inductor is what I'm most worried about, not exactly resistors and capacitors, but it is clearly not a matter of few hundred pieces...

In short, stop assuming; you have no idea what you are talking about.

BitSyncom (OP)

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 10:54:49 AM

It was interesting to see in the #btcfpga IRC channel, Luke-Jr saying he had images of the inside of the Avalon.

So any customers hoping to see them - I guess that a complete - "fuck you" from Avalon.
They don't give a shit ... ... ... or they still haven't got the software working and wanted Luke-Jr's help.
I wonder which it is?

looks like 5 rows of 16 ASIC chips per board, and 3 boards per Avalon
just looking at some pictures of the internals
16 long by 5 high, per board

So that's 250MH/s per chip to get 60GH/s ... though it was Luke-Jr so who knows how reliable that info is.

Slander, did not send Luke any photos, nor we asked him for help.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 10:58:54 AM

I wonder which it is?

Third alternative - Luke-jr was bullshitting and was hoping you'd hear about it.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
bitmar

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 11:01:33 AM

"Clock buffers", "Asian benefactors", "resistors and capacitors" ... ASIC companies provide me with a lot of fun Wink Good fun costs money so maybe it was worth it Wink
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 1794

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 11:02:55 AM

I wonder which it is?

Third alternative - Luke-jr was bullshitting and was hoping you'd hear about it.
As I said at the end ...
... though it was Luke-Jr so who knows how reliable that info is.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 11:06:24 AM

I wonder which it is?

As I said at the end ...
... though it was Luke-Jr so who knows how reliable that info is.

Might have been better like this:
It was interesting to see in the #btcfpga IRC channel, Luke-Jr saying he had images of the inside of the Avalon - though who knows how reliable that info is.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
yohan

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 11:12:47 AM

If you stuck for resistors and capacitors I would suggest buying from Digikey. Whilst not quite as far to go as as a China shipment we get ours here in the UK in about 36hrs. It's an excellent service and we buy millions of parts that way.
nathanrees19

Activity: 196

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 11:15:09 AM

see this shit? I don't post anything, people bitch. I post actual problems, people think I'm lying.  I applaud you not to order from us ab8989.

What I see is you looking for examples that agree with this claim while ignoring examples that do not.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 »
  Print  

Jump to: