Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:55:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Archive] BFL trolling museum  (Read 69313 times)
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 03:02:40 AM

That's only been up for - at least a few weeks. You're a little behind the curve, I'm afraid.

This part here read differently just yesterday;
4. When will the BitForce SC be available, and how fast are they?
Our ASIC based products ranging from 3.5 GH/s to 1,000 GH/s are currently scheduled for availability in late October, 2012.

By availability I'd assume they mean taking orders starting then.

Anyone wanna take bets on the first unit not shipping until Feb or later?

"Availability" is just meaningless in my opinion, unless BFL specifies what they mean by it.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 03:05:40 AM

That's only been up for - at least a few weeks. You're a little behind the curve, I'm afraid.

Our ASIC based products ranging from 3.5 GH/s to 1,000 GH/s are currently scheduled for availability in late October, 2012.

"Availability" is just meaningless in my opinion, unless BFL specifies what they mean by it.

exactly, and I would be far less bothered by BFL's scheduling if they did not very purposely word things so ambiguously.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
abeaulieu

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 03:18:04 AM

exactly, and I would be far less bothered by BFL's scheduling if they did not very purposely word things so ambiguously.

Actually it's quite the opposite that has been getting them in trouble. If they gave more ambiguous ship dates for the singles we might have less people trolling them about the 4-6 weeks they promise.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 03:27:41 AM

Actually it's quite the opposite that has been getting them in trouble. If they gave more ambiguous ship dates for the singles we might have less people trolling them about the 4-6 weeks they promise.

Its not really trolling when its taking almost double what was promised.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
sadpandatech

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 03:50:01 AM

sorry, very poor choice of wording on my part. Not sure why I choose to say 'ambiguously', when what I was trying to convey was something along the lines of 'cryptic'. What's another word for being purposely vague?

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:10:07 AM

sorry, very poor choice of wording on my part. Not sure why I choose to say 'ambiguously', when what I was trying to convey was something along the lines of 'cryptic'. What's another word for being purposely vague?

No, "availability" is an ambiguous term - BFL was specific on the singles, then did not deliver. I suspect they are being vague now just to avoid all the flaming (not all of it undeserved) they received over the singles.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:13:22 AM

http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=446

I guess you'd bet no? Wink
abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 01:14:25 PM

Its not really trolling when its taking almost double what was promised.

Well, get a refund...

No, "availability" is an ambiguous term - BFL was specific on the singles, then did not deliver. I suspect they are being vague now just to avoid all the flaming (not all of it undeserved) they received over the singles.

I agree, who knows where they are at in creating the ASIC. It's quite a process. If they don't have a revision 1 of the chip by now I find it unlikely that there will be a product by the end of the year. FPGAs are much closer to a prototyping/development tool as the firmware can be blown away and reloaded. There are only so many programmable features you can practically build into an ASIC, and changes to the die require expensive and time consuming metal layer changes to the masks.
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 01:54:00 PM

Availability to butterfly labs means, "Hey guys, we are available to take your millions of dollars starting now. We will sit on this cash building THOUSANDS of dollars in interest over the next 6 months, then maybe think about shipping your items. Gotta go, busy so we can't comment on any of your complaints. Will update in next 3 months."

EDIT: also, how is the trade in going to work? Will we have to ship our singles back the day we order the ASICs and not be able to mine while we wait? Or can we trade them in when the ASICs arrive?

If the ASIC arrives, then you refuse to ship the FPGA back, so this ofcourse won't work, unless you mean the ASIC arriving to their office.
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 02:34:03 PM

Availability to butterfly labs means, "Hey guys, we are available to take your millions of dollars starting now. We will sit on this cash building THOUSANDS of dollars in interest over the next 6 months, then maybe think about shipping your items. Gotta go, busy so we can't comment on any of your complaints. Will update in next 3 months."

EDIT: also, how is the trade in going to work? Will we have to ship our singles back the day we order the ASICs and not be able to mine while we wait? Or can we trade them in when the ASICs arrive?

Dear Morblias,

Regarding the trade-in, you can keep your units until your BitForce SC is ready to be shipped.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
ice_chill

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:41:51 PM

When will pre-order begin ?
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:42:19 PM

again a nice comment of bfl? What does this mean ;P

Does it mean i get an asic before i send in my fpga, or do i have to ship in that fpga before i get an asic? What is with the time while my single is on its way back to u? What about customs? etc. ....

Stop doing that to your customers Smiley

ice_chill

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:46:43 PM

again a nice comment of bfl? What does this mean ;P

Does it mean i get an asic before i send in my fpga, or do i have to ship in that fpga before i get an asic? What is with the time while my single is on its way back to u? What about customs? etc. ....

Stop doing that to your customers Smiley

I think what they wrote is pretty easy to understand, once your ASIC is ready, you send the FPGA to them, as soon as they receive it they ship your ASIC. It can't get any fairer than that.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:53:30 PM

BFL-Engineer: Not meaning disrespect here, but is the SC Jalapeno a serious product? The idea of a small USB appliance for $150 that puts out 3.5GH/s is awesome, but I can't think of a good reason to make a coffee warmer out of it. It seems that would make the junction temperature needlessly high if you're maintaining the hot plate at 50-60C (common for most coffee warmers).

Why not do a 3.5GH/s USB hub or something where you could add a more effective heatsink and keep junction temperatures down?
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 02:57:40 PM

BFL-Engineer: Not meaning disrespect here, but is the SC Jalapeno a serious product? The idea of a small USB appliance for $150 that puts out 3.5GH/s is awesome, but I can't think of a good reason to make a coffee warmer out of it. It seems that would make the junction temperature needlessly high if you're maintaining the hot plate at 50-60C (common for most coffee warmers).

Why not do a 3.5GH/s USB hub or something where you could add a more effective heatsink and keep junction temperatures down?

Well, our chips are not going to find much problem when they heat up, they are engineered for that.
We thought that we can channel that heat and make it useful to keep your coffee warm for example.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
dave3

Activity: 344

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:58:03 PM

Regarding the trade-in, you can keep your units until your BitForce SC is ready to be shipped.

That will be nice if they'll give you credit towards your order for your existing units, and let you mine with them until the ASICs are ready to ship.
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 03:22:35 PM

Dear Morblias,

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

Ready to ship or has shipped?  Those are two very separate things.

EIEIO:

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 03:23:35 PM

Well, our chips are not going to find much problem when they heat up, they are engineered for that.
We thought that we can channel that heat and make it useful to keep your coffee warm for example.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

That's either some luke warm coffee or a really bad asic chip.

EIEIO:

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 03:25:09 PM

Sounds like someone needs the CollegeHumor App App for mining hardware.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
sadpandatech

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 03:27:28 PM

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

Ready to ship or has shipped?  Those are two very separate things.

Why would they risk shipping a unit to have the person not send their current one in. I would want confirmation that 'ready to ship' does mean they have a physical unit with your name on it ready though.

BFL, why set the prices on these new units so early in the development process? We saw with the Single that you ended up lowering the price when it did not quite perform as planned. While this is great for customers it does not seem the best move from a business stand point. I assume, if the Jalepeno for example, only performed at 2.9GHs instead of 3.5 that the price would likey get adjusted. Why not wait for the first prototypes to verify your silicon and other hardware to set thoe prices?

- GA

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 137 »
  Print  

Jump to: