Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:32:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie restrictions (Please discuss forum policy here.)  (Read 38165 times)
max3t

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:49:25 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2011, 09:22:49 AM by max3t

I as a newbie am kind of disappointed, cause i read the discussions in these forums for a while and now would like to respond. Created an account but now I'm not allowed to post.

Unfortunately I guess I can't provide some references as I am new to the scene (as an active member).

Anyway I will not stop following these nice boards.

max3t

PS: I thought for myself that I left the age in which I was just posting stuff to get "reputation" (Remember these 1999 forum ranks as "forum god"?). But I guess I'd have to reactivate this era Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aop

Activity: 34

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:49:28 AM

Have you thought of why people were willing to pay up to $30 per Bitcoin?

I wonder if it has anything to do with rampart advertising around internet forums how investing in Bitcoin is guaranteed to bring great profits because it's built to have no inflation?

I'm not saying the people who invented Bitcoin made it a ponzi but I'm pretty sure some people holding huge amounts of Bitcoins were going around the internet advertising Bitcoin to drive the price up and cash in. IMHO that makes the current bubble some kind of "decentralized ponzi".

Good thing about this is that the insane price has caused some of the hoarders to give up their Bitcoins but I fear that even if this widened the Bitcoin ownerbase it has also created a lot of distrust in Bitcoin and it will slow down the actual process of stores and services adopting Bitcoin as currency.
redblack

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:50:20 AM

how are we supposed to buy and sell?
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:51:09 AM

Couldn't agree more.

fyi - it is difficult to tell what it is you agree with without a quote preceding your agreeity.

I agree with everything in the OP (I didnt want to quote the whole post).

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
bitcoinewbie

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:51:44 AM

...50 Useful Posts.

this so totally does absolutely definetly NOT result in useful posts by any stretch of the imagination, it has a clearly predictable opposite effect. though this may work -

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=15648.0
swusc2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:51:58 AM

Couldn't agree more.

fyi - it is difficult to tell what it is you agree with without a quote preceding your agreeity.

I agree with everything in the OP (I didnt want to quote the whole post).

You should read the other posts too.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
newunit16

Activity: 133
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:52:28 AM

You created this system because people were annoyed talking to all the new guys.
You forced all of the new guys to talk to each other for at least 50 posts before they can talk to anyone else.
You allow 1 post per ip per 60 seconds.

So now I have to deal with all the annoying troll-ass newbies for at LEAST an hour, before I can post to the "real" forums?

Thanks. You made your problem mine.
Karmicads

Activity: 185
Merit: 112

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:52:49 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2011, 09:03:15 AM by Karmicads

Hmm.. Well I have to admit I'm somewhat ambivalent about this. While I accept that something had to be done to address the trolling issue, I have my reservations about the post count method of evaluation. I have a habit (in every forum I join) of writing fairly verbose and detailed posts. Their quality may stand on their own merit, but I do like to think I ponder the ideas I am writing about deeply, and give  carefully considered input. I have long disliked any system of merit which is based on credit for post count, as the mass of people who write hardly anything but one liners like "I agree" or short, ill considered posts that require no effort, are prone to earning a better reputation for poor quality input, whether they are spamming/trolling or not. Also, I always end up with a fairly low posting count wherever I go due to my preference for reading a thread right through before I jump in.

Considerate participants, also tend to spend more time browsing or searching, before they interject with ill considered opinions or misconceptions on any topic. For some people the time they spend on a forum, whilst being thoughtful and diligent, is inordinate compared to the average member, although you wouldn't know it from their post count. I cant's say I never jump in with a brief frivolous comment, but on the whole I spend much more time reading, thinking and digesting the ideas on offer, before I post what often turns into a somewhat detailed and lengthly contribution. I have a certain amount to say about a subject and I take whatever time it takes to discuss it with the depth I believe it deserves.

Also I joined this forum over a year ago (before even Gavin Andresen). So being put in the playpen, because of the recent influx of trolls that are nearly all newcomers, it somewhat bemusing. There are those of us who have contributed to ideas being discussed here, for many months and have active threads in which they were still participating. I wonder if this could be done with the restriction being placed on the amount of time the member has been registered for, rather than the post count.

Needles to say, I hope my request to be white-listed will be considered.

PS: I do appreciate that the staff here generally do a great job and deciding how to tackle these little dilemmas is not an easy task. FWIW, I was forum admin on one of the larger boards back in 2006 and  I know that pleasing all the people all the time is simply impossible.  Wink

EDIT: Of course one of the perils of being windy and verbose, is that a problem is often fixed in the time it takes to post about it. Grin
Thanks
bitcoinewbie

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:55:07 AM

Couldn't agree more.

fyi - it is difficult to tell...

I agree with ...OP .

when you click quote it brings it up in the text box and you can cut it down to whatever size you wish.
aop

Activity: 34

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:56:05 AM

I must add that I feel that current fiat currencies are somewhat legalized ponzi, especially in Europe now. Taxpayers are forced to pay profits of big investors through legistation and so-called bail outs. Inflation is also a form of taxation. Central banks print more money to keep the unhealthy economy going on, this results in inflation and it means that your wages and savings lose their value. Thus central banks and big investors gain value while your work and savings lose it.
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 08:56:40 AM

its is not about spam at all

its designed to limit exposure and silencet those bitcoin disagrees with.

these people usually post under newer identities.

it was desigend so that silk road gets less exposure here.

of course, bitcoin will do anything to increase legitimacy and the chances someone will invest the funds they need to progress.

... even if that means selling out themsleves and freedom and liberty to the gov, CIA, intelligence community ... anyone or anything to progress bitcoin.

and who says everyone cant be bought =)

I dunno.. I think it's a good thing to push out silk road entirely. The seedy underbelly of the internets has been giving Bitcoin a bad name lately, and since nobody OUTSIDE of the Bitcoin community knows what it's *really* all about, they're given to believe whatever MSM tells them. Senator Schumer, for instance.

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:56:52 AM

I wonder if this could be done with the restriction being placed on the amount of time the member has been registered for, rather than the post count.

Already done. You are "established".

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
swusc2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:58:29 AM

its is not about spam at all

these people usually post under newer identities.

it was desigend so that silk road gets less exposure here.

of course, bitcoin will do anything to increase legitimacy and the chances someone will invest the funds they need to progress.

... even if that means selling out themsleves and freedom and liberty to the gov, CIA, intelligence community ... anyone or anything to progress bitcoin.

and who says everyone cant be bought =)

No it is to limit people from doing stuff such as.

1) Fuck you, your retarded. *No reason given

2) 30 posts of sell sell sell, buy buy buy

Yea just like how we have Doors, they are totally meant to subjugate people and not so they can't break into your house.

I was talking to one of the admins and he said in his conversation when I was purposing ideas that he doesn't care what or how something is posted as long as it spurs constructive discussion.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
bitcoinewbie

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:59:32 AM

You created this system because people were annoyed talking to all the new guys.
You forced all of the new guys to talk to each other for at least 50 posts before they can talk to anyone else.
You allow 1 post per ip per 60 seconds.

So now I have to deal with all the annoying troll-ass newbies for at LEAST an hour, before I can post to the "real" forums?

Thanks. You made your problem mine.

lol, yeah, this can't last. this community is full of too many clever individuals, this decision was a rash decision, eventually the regular posters that are volunteer moding will get sick of it and the actual mods will have to come up with an actual working system or the community will migrate to somewhere that thinks out solutions instead of filling their back pockets with the shit they found in their front pockets.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:00:15 AM

Thanks to some code provided by Disposition, there is now a mix of post count and "time online" requirements. You must have spent 8 hours online and posted 5 posts. This should be easier to do.

I fit that profile and still can't post.

Until that's resolved, could I get whitelisted? I think my prior posts speak for themselves.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:00:24 AM

Speculators- those simply buying Bitcoin to sit on them and do currency exchange, require little support or arbitration. Bitcoin merchants and consumers, those who actually give Bitcoin tangible value do require support and arbitration which under the new rules they are unlikely to receive from experienced users- as those same users will have "Newbie" posts effectively filtered from their online experience. Newbies, for the most part cannot answer Newbie questions- and they are the only ones likely to read them under the current system. Even the moderators of the Newbie section, have on average just four months of experience with Bitcoin.

The Newbie system allows users to be whitelisted if they either "Post Useful Posts" OR "Know the Fundamentals" and that can be accomplished by reading "Beginners Guide".

However, in all honesty how many users are actually going to try and prove that they have a reasonable understanding of Bitcoin and that they are not out here to try and troll/spam the community. I'm only posting here because of my sheer annoyance at the fact I can't post (even though I haven't done anything to the community) in the bitcoins.lc thread where I've found an issue with "unverified funds" column.

The "Newbie" forum just raised barriers to entry substantially for exactly the kind of non-technical, Average-Joe adopters we want to attract. Certainly I am seriously reevaluating my decision to accept Bitcoin at my facility now that I know my customers are unlikely to receive credible support in their move to the currency.

Average Joes still can read topics they aren't allowed to post in. If they have a question it can be usually answered by other Newbies and the Beginners Guide sticky. If it can't it's most likely either a good post or moderation/old timers can help if all else fails.

Once again, won't there be an influx of the same, repetitive posts here (e.g the ones on this "newbies" forum relating to the fact that we can only post in this part) and I don't want to start a completely new thread about something that's being discussed elsewhere in the forum which would achieve absolutely zilch.

Thanks.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:00:26 AM

if you aks really nicely, you might get on the white list Smiley

or else you can only post here until you reaches 50 post Tongue

it sucks? yes, but it necessarily.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
cmdr001

Activity: 20

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:02:40 AM

Will this 50 post limit be lifted?
Moreso wondering because I was hoping to make business, not have to socialize or spam around. Sure, there are PMs, but when there's a perfectly good thread posted by someone waiting for a reply...
newunit16

Activity: 133
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:03:36 AM

if you aks really nicely, you might get on the white list Smiley

or else you can only post here until you reaches 50 post Tongue

it sucks? yes, but it necessarily.

white list? i dont like special treatment.

you have <200 posts, and you have been a member for almost 2 months. how can you expect someone to talk to newbies for 2 weeks? this is the generation of instant gratification.

p.s. i love denmark.

--- there are much better ways of weeding out trolls. its rather obvious this system was put in hastily. to the mods: a stitch in time saves nine. just like your mommies used to say. put some effort into it, because you've just upset a lot of new guys. or maybe you dont want to grow? who knows.
bcearl

Activity: 168
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:04:14 AM

I think the limit is just to high. Now we are supposed to write 50 postings in the newbies section? How could you rate the user's quality by these?

Misspelling protects against dictionary attacks NOT
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: